MLB 2024 Post-Season

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,725
    Haha, wait rob, you don't like to dodgers?
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    MLB is talking about a new stadium in downtown la for the dodgers. Thoughts norm?

if the dodgers leave chavez ravine, i'll become a giants fan

and i'm not kidding
    I had a feeling you were going to say that or something to the extent. What if it's the only way to get rod of McCourt? I doubt it is but what if.

My old man always said the same thing about steinbrenner and his threats to take the team to jersey.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    imalive wrote:

bud selig's head would have exploded if they ended up in that same position again....

and his head exploding wouldn't be the worst thing to ever happen :lol:
    speaking of Bud, his kiss ass endorsement of Jeter was sickening...

apparently selig is stepping down after the 2012 season
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,931
    norm wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    MLB is talking about a new stadium in downtown la for the dodgers. Thoughts norm?

if the dodgers leave chavez ravine, i'll become a giants fan

and i'm not kidding
    that seals it....I'm starting a "Move the Dodgers" campaign!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I had a feeling you were going to say that or something to the extent. What if it's the only way to get rod of McCourt? I doubt it is but what if.

My old man always said the same thing about steinbrenner and his threats to take the team to jersey.
    Though some outlets are reporting Major League Baseball looking at a new downtown ballpark for the Los Angeles Dodgers should the franchise be seized, the truth is far more pedestrian -- and no, there's no replacement ballpark on the horizon.

SportsByBrooks reported that two sources had reported Major League Baseball had approached facilities giant AEG about building a new downtown Los Angeles ballpark adjacent to Staples Center and the LA Live entertainment complex. The response both from AEG and MLB was swiift: No, there's been no talk at all about a new downtown ballpark, something confirmed by the most wired man in Los Angeles, Bill Shaiklin. Which makes sense: yes, there are some interesting legalities that could come down the pike in terms of ownership of the Dodgers vs. ownership of Dodger Stadium should MLB make a play to basically reposses the team, but no legal expert we've consulted thinks we'll get to the point where MLB owns the team and is paying rent to Frank McCourt. MLB's bylaws clearly allow the commissioner to seize the franchise and all related entities -- and McCourt agreed to this provision when he bought the team.

After checking with a few insiders close to the Dodgers and some other industry types, here's what we think really happened: there was at least one exploratory discussion between an AEG offficial and someone close to Major League Baseball about the possibility of AEG mamaging Dodger Stadium if MLB ended up with the team and the ballpark. That such a discussion would happen is not a surprise: facility-management companies approach potential customers every day. Most fans don't realize how many meetings and discussions happen before a deal is struck, and how many meetings occur when nothing happens. There's a load of money to be made off of Dodger Stadium; at one point McCourt proposed an entertainment district outside the Dodger Stadium games, and entertainment districts happen to be a specialty of AEG. After the gossip mill got done churning things and amplifying them a la Party Line, it became a tale where AEG was going to spend a billion dollars on a new ballpark. To that end, we think Brooks accurately reported on what he had been told -- but what he was told wasn't accurate. Talk of a new Dodger Stadium may be a short-term boost on the page-view front, but in practical terms, it's such a nonstarter it's not funny.
    http://www.ballparkdigest.com/201107144 ... he-horizon
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    The Fixer wrote:
    imalive wrote:

bud selig's head would have exploded if they ended up in that same position again....

and his head exploding wouldn't be the worst thing to ever happen :lol:
    speaking of Bud, his kiss ass endorsement of Jeter was sickening...

as long as he doesn't go back for the brewers i don't care what he does. actually he hasn't been half bad as baseball commish, he also hasn't been half good at times.
  • PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 787
    speaking of Dodger Stadium,

I have been lucky enough to get two autographs this year while there at Chavez Ravine.....

both by the same player, and both times I took a picture of him signing my baseball (top pic I posted a couple of weeks ago, the bottom one is from a game I went to last week)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/ ... sionGG.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/ ... 1Kemp3.jpg
    RW81233 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

as long as he doesn't go back for the brewers i don't care what he does. actually he hasn't been half bad as baseball commish, he also hasn't been half good at times.

That's how I feel about him as well. He guided baseball through the toughest economic times since the Great Depression. The game is doing well. Most importantly, unlike other leagues, the integrity of the on field product hasn't been compromised.

He's been average. He's an easy target because he looks like such a geek

Also, I can't wait to watch real games again tonight. Feels like the AS break was 3 weeks long
    pjhawks wrote:

Justin Timberlake was absolutely mocking the hell out of Joe Buck. It was awesome. anyone that can mock joe buck on-air is all right by me.
    not if it's justin timberlake :shh:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    I wish thome was getting half of the publicity that jeter got 2 weeks ago
    The Fixer wrote:

I agree, he should be, but it is tougher to follow when the guy has only played 40 something games this year.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,359
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I agree, he should be, but it is tougher to follow when the guy has only played 40 something games this year.

Unfortunately we've all become jaded by home run milestones. It will take decades to recover from the Bonds thing. (and the other clowns)
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Unfortunately we've all become jaded by home run milestones. It will take decades to recover from the Bonds thing. (and the other clowns)

both good points. still it's tougher to hit 600 hrs than it is to get 3,000 hits.

gotta love thome
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    The Fixer wrote:

minnesota....new york .....

just isn't happening
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Agreed, but 600 is a really big number though. Only 6 players have done it. I am sure it will be a bigger deal once he gets to 599, not Jeter level but bigger than it is now.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    playing in the AL EAST sucks ... :evil:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Agreed, but 600 is a really big number though. Only 6 players have done it. .

yeah, that's my point. seems like this accomplishment is flying under the radar (especially after the jeter slurping that went on throughout june).

I hope you're right and this story gains the traction that it deserves
    The Fixer wrote:
    yeah, that's my point. seems like this accomplishment is flying under the radar (especially after the jeter slurping that went on throughout june).

I agree man. Arod even got a lot of press for his 600th. Not nearly jeter level either but it was covered and he was caught.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    can i get my own baseball card if i catch it. :?:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    The Fixer wrote:
    the guys a good dude but the DH thing cheapens it a bit.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,359
    imalive wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Agreed.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    imalive wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Agreed.

Eh. He's a first baseman. Anyone can stand there and catch the ball. Well, almost anyone :roll:
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    imalive wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Agreed.

bingo. 3 factors are playing into the lack of publicity here:
    1. smaller market team not having a good year.
    2. he's a 40 year old dh who doesn't play defense.
    3. most of his homers came during the steriod era which forever has tainted that generation's power hitters (steroid users and non steroid users alike). thank's a lot, bud selig. :roll:
    www.myspace.com
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I agree man. Arod even got a lot of press for his 600th. Not nearly jeter level either but it was covered and he was caught.
    thats cause everyone in this town hates a-roid and he has no one to blame but himself
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

Jeags you are way too concerned with selig and throwing any type of blame at him. The steroid era was everyones fault, you can't blame him alone. Everyone involved in the game at all had some fault in it. The steroid era was really the best thing to happen to baseball at the time.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Jeags you are way too concerned with selig and throwing any type of blame at him. The steroid era was everyones fault, you can't blame him alone. Everyone involved in the game at all had some fault in it. The steroid era was really the best thing to happen to baseball at the time.

i acknowledge he's an easy target and there are plenty to blame. to me, he's the epitome of weakness, though, and had to have congress intervene before installing a ped testing policy.

your last sentence, while somewhat true and spoken like someone whose team clearly benefited from ped's back then, is a sad commentary on the game. anyway you look at it, it's huge black eye that the best players of that era, who hold some of the game's most prestigous records, won't make to the hall of fame (or will with an asterisk next to their names).

either way, it's a shame that cloud is still hovering over the game. thome's a good guy and, dh or not, deserves much more attention than he's gotten thus far.
    www.myspace.com
    I agree it was handled horribly all around but every team benefited from it greatly. Maybe the Yankees are in the spotlight with it because they paid the best players and they had a bunch of them at the end.

The offensive explosion brought baseball back after the strike and I guess i just don't care or see the big deal. I don't see it as a black eye as much as most. I guess it's because of records and baseballs history but whatever, every era had cheating. Sure i prefer players that were clean but i just don't see it as the injustice that most do.
    And yeah, I think thome should get more attention but the guy is a part time player at this point.

Edit: and jeags, you're kidding yourself if you think your favorite sport doesnt have a major drug problem.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,196
    I agree with all the points posted about Thome and think once he gets to 598/599 the pub will pick up. If nothing else, at least he'll be a first ballot HOFer.

On the steroids issue, everyone can share the blame. MLB, management, players, sportswriters, fans...everyone. If you genuinely didn't know it was going on, you weren't following the game and I have no interest in your opinion. These sanctimonious pundits and columnists that get on their soap box about it can shove it up their ass. Steve Wilstein of the AP was the guy who wrote about seeing the andro (not banned, by the way) in McGwire's locker and was crucified for it. If no one cared enough to deal with it when it was happening, we all have to deal with the fallout like adults now.