Options

MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Options
    So these assholes are really going to miss games it's looking like huh??  Great move for a league who's average fan is 57 years old.  Just unbelievable.  
    I said that I'm done with them this year if they start missing games.

The season should get a 1 year contract ext, same as before so they have all of this year for the reps to figure it out.
  • Options
    They take a lot of liberties

Posada
    Maris
    Jackson
    Bernie
    Pettitte
    O'Neill

All probably shouldn't be retired, but they were all part of big moments/dynasties

Posada and Petite are w the Core Four.  They deserve it.

Reggie brought them back prominence and to the WS and won back to back but missed in 81.

Bernie I wouldn't have a problem with.  Spent his whole career there.  Fan favorite.

Maris.  61 HR.  Big deal to have a record like that and not honor it.

O'neill?  c'mon...

I don't know if I agree w Rizzutto being retired.

Fast forward the next 10 years.  Who are they retiring besides Judge?
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    These are all team hall of fame players.  Not retired jersey worthy players.  That is like your team's Mt Rushmore.  Especially when dealing with a franchise with such a long a rich history like the Yankees.  The bar should be set several clicks above ONeill (or any of those other guys listed imo).

Jeter and Rivera should be the only 2 retired jerseys from that dynasty IMO.  

I have this same issue with the Buffalo Sabres.  In 50+ years they have had an OK history, only 6 Division titles, 2 Conference, yet have like 7 numbers retired.  The bar has been set pretty low, and who knows what happens if they ever realize a dynasty and will 'need' to retire like 6 numbers out of it (should only be Hasek and Perreault right now).
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    These are all team hall of fame players.  Not retired jersey worthy players.  That is like your team's Mt Rushmore.  Especially when dealing with a franchise with such a long a rich history like the Yankees.  The bar should be set several clicks above ONeill (or any of those other guys listed imo).

I have this same issue with the Buffalo Sabres.  In 50+ years they have had an OK history, only 6 Division titles, 2 Conference, yet have like 7 numbers retired.  The bar has been set pretty low, and who knows what happens if they ever realize a dynasty and will 'need' to retire like 6 numbers out of it (should only be Hasek and Perreault right now).
    Is one of them Mogilny or Turgeon?
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225

Posada
    Maris
    Jackson
    Bernie
    Pettitte
    O'Neill

All probably shouldn't be retired, but they were all part of big moments/dynasties

Torres, German, Chapman, Sanchez, Gardner and Rizzo by current metrics.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier said:

Posada
    Maris
    Jackson
    Bernie
    Pettitte
    O'Neill

Torres, German, Chapman, Sanchez, Gardner and Rizzo by current metrics.
    LOL Chapman by current metrics.  All the others are on a decline and Rizzo might not be there long enough.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    MayDay10 said:

No, thankfully, but there are people who want Mogilny (as well as Ryan Miller).

Its Tim Horton, Danny Gare, Pat LaFontaine, Dominik Hasek, Rene Robert, Gilbert Perreault, and Rick Martin
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    MayDay10 said:

No, thankfully, but there are people who want Mogilny (as well as Ryan Miller).

Its Tim Horton, Danny Gare, Pat LaFontaine, Dominik Hasek, Rene Robert, Gilbert Perreault, and Rick Martin
    LaFontaine is deserving.  All three I mentioned I believed played for the Isles at one time or another, lol.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    Bummer, looks like they will no Spring Training games to walk over and watch here in West Palm Beach. This is why the sport of baseball keeps waning in a distant abyss.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,243
    This is just unbelievably stupid of MLB. You do everything possible to make sure there isn't missed games or delayed season. Fucking morons. The NFL and NBA can have all the issues they want off the field because at least they keep the games going. MLB has off field player issues, continued controversies about rules and fair play (sign stealing, doping, juiced balls, etc.) and can't even get the contracts figured out. Worst run league of all the major sports.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418

Posada
    Maris
    Jackson
    Bernie
    Pettitte
    O'Neill

Reggie brought them back prominence and to the WS and won back to back but missed in 81.

Bernie I wouldn't have a problem with.  Spent his whole career there.  Fan favorite.

O'neill?  c'mon...

If O'Neill is the new standard, they'll retire Sabathia.  
  • Options

Posada
    Maris
    Jackson
    Bernie
    Pettitte
    O'Neill

O'neill?  c'mon...

If O'Neill is the new standard, they'll retire Sabathia.  
    And Matsui at this point...
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,746
    Fuuuuuuuuck these owners.  And fuck Manfred for saying that MLB teams aren't profitable.  The Braves appear to be doing just fine...

https://news.yahoo.com/champion-braves-report-huge-profits-as-mlb-claims-teams-are-bad-investments-173334889.html
  • Options
    Fuuuuuuuuck these owners.  And fuck Manfred for saying that MLB teams aren't profitable.  The Braves appear to be doing just fine...

https://news.yahoo.com/champion-braves-report-huge-profits-as-mlb-claims-teams-are-bad-investments-173334889.html
    I wish I had hit the Cali lottery years ago when the Halos were up for sale.  I was going to buy them if I had won.  Price was like 300 million or so.  I'm sure that team is worth wayyyy more than that now.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    What a complete shitshow.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625

Yeah it is too east to blame the players.  These owners are dirtballs.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385

Yup
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,474

yeah, but goddam, you’re making generational wealth to play a fucking GAME. fuck ‘em both.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Nah, the owners!! 
    Ha.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,201
    Wobbie said:

yeah, but goddam, you’re making generational wealth to play a fucking GAME. fuck ‘em both.
    Only the stars.  Guys who don’t hit 6 years really don’t make that much. I think I saw where the major league minimum is even lower than the NHL’s.  Plus they hold back young players to delay their arbitration year by a year.   
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,746
    Well sounds like whatever progress they made yesterday is falling apart today and owners are giving 1 last offer.  What an absolute fucking joke.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Read it’s not anywhere close to what the union is asking for.
  • Options
    guys like tatis, harper, etc. lose like $200k per game missed. fuck ‘em.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,237
    pjhawks said:
    Wobbie said:

Only the stars.  Guys who don’t hit 6 years really don’t make that much. I think I saw where the major league minimum is even lower than the NHL’s.  Plus they hold back young players to delay their arbitration year by a year.   
    Minimum salary Is over $500k. 
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    My wife and I have been trying to plan a cross country Amtrak trip that crosses off more ballparks off the list.  

At this rate we’ll just be touring them. 
  • Options
    As the last time we has a battle between players and owners....don't take the bait from shills lke Jeff Passen.
    Only one side getting over, here, on the other and it isnt the players.
    https://theathletic.com/3157684/2022/03/01/brisbee-baseball-games-will-be-canceled-and-theres-no-both-sidesing-this-one?source=user-shared-article

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412

• Options
    As the last time we has a battle between players and owners....don't take the bait from shills lke Jeff Passen.
    Only one side getting over, here, on the other and it isnt the players.
    https://theathletic.com/3157684/2022/03/01/brisbee-baseball-games-will-be-canceled-and-theres-no-both-sidesing-this-one?source=user-shared-article

your syntax is a bit garbled, F’me.

I’ll take passan over verducci.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    To be honest, they could miss the first 40 games of the year and the season would still be about 20 games too long.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,020
    commissioner-letter-header

To Our Fans:

I had hoped against hope that I would not have to be in the position of canceling games. We worked hard to avoid an outcome that is bad for our fans, bad for our players and bad for our clubs.

I want to assure our fans that our failure to reach an agreement was not due to a lack of effort on the part of either party. The Players came here for nine days, worked hard and tried to make a deal. I appreciate their effort.

Our committee of Club representatives committed to the process, offered compromise after compromise, and hung in past the deadline to exhaust all efforts to reach an agreement.

So far, we have failed to achieve our mutual goal of a fair deal. The unfortunate thing is that the agreement we have offered has huge benefits for fans and players.

We have listened to the Players Association throughout this process. A primary goal of the Players Association has been to increase pay for younger players. As I have said previously, we agree and share that goal. We offered to raise the minimum salary to $700,000, an increase of $130,000 from 2021. We offered to create an annual bonus pool of $30 million for the very best young players. In total, we are offering a 33% raise to nearly two-thirds of Major League players and adding more than $100 million annually in additional compensation for younger players.

The proposal also addressed player and fan concerns about issues like service time and competitive issues. Baseball would for the first time have a draft lottery -- the most aggressive in professional sports. Also, for the first time ever, we agreed to an incentive system to encourage clubs to promote top prospects to their Opening Day rosters. We also proposed that the first andsecond-place finishers in the Rookie of the Year voting in each league would receive a full year of service.

The MLBPA asked to make free agency more robust. For the first time ever, we agreed to eliminate direct draft pick compensation, a change the MLBPA has sought for decades. On the Competitive Balance Tax, we offered a significantly larger first-year increase than in the last two agreements, bearing in mind that the Competitive Balance Tax is the only mechanism in the agreement that protects some semblance of a level playing field among clubs.

The International Draft would have more fairly allocated talent among the clubs and reduced abuses in some international markets.

We also listened to our fans. The expanded playoffs would bring the excitement of meaningful September baseball and postseason baseball to fans in more of our markets. While we preferred a 14-team format, when the format became a significant obstacle, we listened to the players’ concerns, and offered to compromise by accepting their 12-team format.

Finally, we offered a procedural agreement that would allow for the timely implementation of sorely needed rules like the pitch timer and elimination of shifts to improve the entertainment value of the game on the field. And we agreed to the universal DH.

So, what is next? The calendar dictates that we are not going to be able to play the first two series of regular season games and those games are officially canceled. We are prepared to continue negotiations. We have been informed that the MLBPA is headed back to New York meaning that no agreement is possible until at least Thursday. Currently, camps could not meaningfully operate until at least March 8th, leaving only 23 days before scheduled Opening Day.

We played without an agreement in 1994 and the players went on strike in August, forcing the cancellation of the World Series. It was a painful chapter in our game’s history. We cannot risk such an outcome again for our fans and our sport.

The Clubs and our owners fully understand just how important it is to our millions of fans that we get the game on the field as soon as possible. To that end, we want to bargain and we want a deal with the Players Association as quickly as possible.

Manfred signature footer