Options

Dave Chappelle

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    mca47 said:
    I made it through the first 25 minutes before getting bored and turning it off. As much as I loved his TV show, I never really liked his standup. I remember everybody loving his "Killing Me Softly" special from years ago, but I was like "eh." And he's gotten worse since then. But that's just me. I know most people revere him as a standup. 
    Haven't seen the new one, but I think he is one of the alltime standup greats.
    Yeah, I saw him one time and he burned the motherfucker down.  Amazing set.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    mca47 said:
    I made it through the first 25 minutes before getting bored and turning it off. As much as I loved his TV show, I never really liked his standup. I remember everybody loving his "Killing Me Softly" special from years ago, but I was like "eh." And he's gotten worse since then. But that's just me. I know most people revere him as a standup. 
    Agreed. Gonna watch it a bit later.

Curious to see if there’s anything warranting some of those up-in-arms reactions. 
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,797
    hedonist said:
    mca47 said:

Curious to see if there’s anything warranting some of those up-in-arms reactions. 

suppose that depends on your general point of view to begin with.

I found some of his points to be on point. he just presented them in his usual Dave dont give a fuck way.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,206
    I very much so agreed with him about the “punching down” comments. Drives me nuts that so many people assume that just because you’re making fun of someone (while performing comedy, no less), you are somehow looking down on them, or think you’re better than them. So dumb.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,746
    The Twitter police seem very upset and outraged by this special so that means it's hilarious.  Will check it out this weekend.
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    mickeyrat said:
    hedonist said:
    mca47 said:

suppose that depends on your general point of view to begin with.

I found some of his points to be on point. he just presented them in his usual Dave dont give a fuck way.

Yeah, it's just a little more pointed at times. And almost the entire thing was directed one way. Very antagonistic. Which I'm completely good with. He is definitely a master of his craft. I just like it when there's a touch more silliness. It seemed pretty personal. Which makes sense in the context of his friend's tragic outcome. 
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    hedonist said:
    mca47 said:

It's certainly seems that is what he was going for. 
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,255
    Saw it over the weekend.  Was brilliant.  Not as "LOL" as his normal stand-up, but the guy absolutely crushed it.
    If you're pissed off, have an agenda, are overly sensitive, or easily triggered...or are looking to hate on something...which seems these days, is almost everyone...there is plenty of fuel in that hour.

I found absolutely nothing in that set to be offensive.  Even when he'd say something over the top, he'd come back and tie it all together.
  • Options
    The transgender people that work for Netflix are planning a walkout today.  I can't imagine there being that many people?  Am I wrong in thinking that?

I need to watch this and try to figure out why and who is actually angered at this comedy special.
  • Options
    It's a wild scene out there.  I can't imagine getting so worked up about a comedy special.  Just don't watch it.  They're acting like Chapelle is a high ranking executive at Netflix or something.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    I haven’t watched it but everyone is up in arms about the whole “shooting someone is worse than being homophobic/transphobic”?  Which…yeah…
  • Options
    It's a wild scene out there.  I can't imagine getting so worked up about a comedy special.  Just don't watch it.  They're acting like Chapelle is a high ranking executive at Netflix or something.
    They've been going after the high ranking exec at Netflix too.  he isn't spared in all this, lol.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,255
    And all of the outrage is causing more and more people to watch it.  Netflix will gladly take the heat and the revenue.  
    I think it's hilarious.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    It never occurred to me that Netflix has a lot of employees to begin with.  I guess it makes sense.

"All right shut down production!"

• Options
    mca47 said:
    And all of the outrage is causing more and more people to watch it.  Netflix will gladly take the heat and the revenue.  
    I think it's hilarious.
    I do wonder if the people who are outraged are a very, very small percentage and are being reported because that makes news and who doesn't like a lil bit of controversy.

I have this theory that has been proven in the past that news reporting is all on social medias now.  No one really investigates anything.  They just repeat what they read and through the pipeline it becomes fact.

In all reality the same 2 people who complained have been regurgitated so many times it feels like a story and the thoughts of millions...
  • Options
    mca47 said:
    I think it's hilarious.
    I do wonder if the people who are outraged are a very, very small percentage and are being reported because that makes news and who doesn't like a lil bit of controversy.

I have this theory that has been proven in the past that news reporting is all on social medias now.  No one really investigates anything.  They just repeat what they read and through the pipeline it becomes fact.

In all reality the same 2 people who complained have been regurgitated so many times it feels like a story and the thoughts of millions...
    This applies to just about everything these days.
  • Options
    mca47 said:
    I think it's hilarious.

This applies to just about everything these days.
    Yes, as explained further in my statement.
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    He’s not even funny…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Dave Chappelle is not funny?

Dude is hilarious.
  • Options

Dude is hilarious.
    "You are" hilarious!!!
    https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/266838/the-you-are-thread
  • Options

Dude is hilarious.
    "You are" hilarious!!!

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495

Dude is hilarious.
    "You are" hilarious!!!

"Doctah says I need a bachiotamy"
  • Options

Dude is hilarious.
    "You are" hilarious!!!

"Doctah says I need a bachiotamy"

Movie is too damn funny!
  • Options
    Watch it about once a year and my wife thinks I'm an idiot every time.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495
    "Hey girl, you hungry?" 
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I’ve been watching it in pieces — love it.

Actually, I love all comedians / standup folks who stick to their guns. 
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,287
    He’s not even funny…
    I've always felt he's overrated
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    He’s not even funny…
    Totally agree. I loved his TV show and Half Baked, but never cared for his standup. But I’ll tell you who loves his standup….Dave himself. Always taking a moment between jokes to hold his stomach and laugh at whatever he just said. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    He’s not even funny…
    Totally agree. I loved his TV show and Half Baked, but never cared for his standup. But I’ll tell you who loves his standup….Dave himself. Always taking a moment between jokes to hold his stomach and laugh at whatever he just said. 
    I personally think he is great.

What he has done for the whole stand up community during the pandemic is worth noting too.  Out in the middle of Ohio, Yellow Springs he  invited comics to do social distancing comedy shows.

He and Tosh along w Bill Burr move the needle for me.
  • Options
    He’s not even funny…
    Maybe it's something with the name Dave.  No one, and I mean no one, likes Dave Grohl as much as Dave Grohl likes Dave Grohl.

I think Chappelle is funny and smart. Definitely some swing and misses though.