Ed's Voice??

Comments

• to be honest In Hiding was always difficult for him. probably his hardest song to sing.
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
    pandora wrote:
    :thumbup:
    your little pic always makes me smile, so sweet and happy, yellow like sunshine, warms the heart like listening to PJ :D

oh thank you!
    yeah i'm a relatively happy person. I find myself at times saying to myself, what the fuck? Why am I smiling?
    I don’t even realize I’m doing it. So goofy.
    But pj, that’s a sure fire way to get me to smile!
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• bernmodibernmodi Posts: 631
    :roll: Ed's voice thread no. 439. :roll:
    This voice is the main reason why I love this band, and yes, it did change, it became more mature. Ed used to be a shouter, now he is a singer.
    And for all those who seem to have a problem with singers who smoke, better listen to the Jonas Brothers.
  • zootownzootown Posts: 666
    zootown wrote:
    Nitsua87 wrote:
    I find it funny that some people think he should still have the same voice he did in 1992. Yes, he's smoking. Yes, he's older. And, yes, it's still BAD ASS.

He (and the rest of the band) certainly don't need the money, so just enjoy it every time they indulge us with a tour, regardless of the duration.

I cant resist responding to this, sorry. That excuse is lame. There are plenty of lead singers who dont smoke or drink like Eddie has, and wow, what a shocker, their voices still sound amazing and yes, even close to what they were 20 years ago. Im not asking for 1992 Eddie, but 2005 Eddie would be great, thanks!

Out of curiosity which singers are you talking about? There is only one singer that sounds as good today as he did 20 years ago & that is James Dean Bradfield of the Manic Street Preachers.

Really? How about Black Francis(aka Frank Black, aka Charles Thompson) from the Pixies...heard of him? Cornell sounded as good as ever last time I heard it. Gregg Allman, Mick Jagger, and yes, even the hated Bono. Look, all Im saying is that the difference between 2005 and 2008, only 3 years not 20, is significant and its a shame.
    I hold the pain, release me!
  • lowbudgetlushlowbudgetlush Posts: 611
    Out of curiosity which singers are you talking about? There is only one singer that sounds as good today as he did 20 years ago & that is James Dean Bradfield of the Manic Street Preachers.[/quote]

Really? How about Black Francis(aka Frank Black, aka Charles Thompson) from the Pixies...heard of him? Cornell sounded as good as ever last time I heard it. Gregg Allman, Mick Jagger, and yes, even the hated Bono. Look, all Im saying is that the difference between 2005 and 2008, only 3 years not 20, is significant and its a shame.[/quote]

Personally I think Cornells voice is completely shot. Are you honestly saying that Mick Jaggers voice sounds as good today as it did 40 years ago? You cant be serious.
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,357
    It's hard for anyone to maintain their voice over time. Even Sinatra's voice wasn't the same in the last decade of his life. What worries me about Ed is that he's seen so much change while still relatively young that I fear he will end up in fifteen years sounding like Bob Dylan does today.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    MrSmith wrote:
    to be honest In Hiding was always difficult for him. probably his hardest song to sing.

i've thought the same. i don't know if it's possible to sound just like the album. it's too good.
    Out of curiosity which singers are you talking about? There is only one singer that sounds as good today as he did 20 years ago & that is James Dean Bradfield of the Manic Street Preachers.

Really? How about Black Francis(aka Frank Black, aka Charles Thompson) from the Pixies...heard of him? Cornell sounded as good as ever last time I heard it. Gregg Allman, Mick Jagger, and yes, even the hated Bono. Look, all Im saying is that the difference between 2005 and 2008, only 3 years not 20, is significant and its a shame.[/quote]

Personally I think Cornells voice is completely shot. Are you honestly saying that Mick Jaggers voice sounds as good today as it did 40 years ago? You cant be serious.[/quote]

I am not saying Jaggers' voice is the same as 40 years ago..but in 1984, 20 years into it, it sounded pretty damn much the same! I dont' think Eddie's voice sounds as good as it did 5 years ago! The decline has been sharp in eddie's case.
    BF25394 wrote:
    It's hard for anyone to maintain their voice over time. Even Sinatra's voice wasn't the same in the last decade of his life. What worries me about Ed is that he's seen so much change while still relatively young that I fear he will end up in fifteen years sounding like Bob Dylan does today.
    +1
  • zootown wrote:
    Nitsua87 wrote:
    I find it funny that some people think he should still have the same voice he did in 1992. Yes, he's smoking. Yes, he's older. And, yes, it's still BAD ASS.

He (and the rest of the band) certainly don't need the money, so just enjoy it every time they indulge us with a tour, regardless of the duration.

I cant resist responding to this, sorry. That excuse is lame. There are plenty of lead singers who dont smoke or drink like Eddie has, and wow, what a shocker, their voices still sound amazing and yes, even close to what they were 20 years ago. Im not asking for 1992 Eddie, but 2005 Eddie would be great, thanks!

This is true look at The Eagles
  • zootown wrote:

Really? How about Black Francis(aka Frank Black, aka Charles Thompson) from the Pixies...heard of him? Cornell sounded as good as ever last time I heard it. Gregg Allman, Mick Jagger, and yes, even the hated Bono. Look, all Im saying is that the difference between 2005 and 2008, only 3 years not 20, is significant and its a shame.

Personally I think Cornells voice is completely shot. Are you honestly saying that Mick Jaggers voice sounds as good today as it did 40 years ago? You cant be serious.

I am not saying Jaggers' voice is the same as 40 years ago..but in 1984, 20 years into it, it sounded pretty damn much the same! I dont' think Eddie's voice sounds as good as it did 5 years ago! The decline has been sharp in eddie's case.

Saw Cornell twice in the last 2 years. Sounded flawless everytime. If anything he sounds better than he did when he was partying back in the day as a young lad. Its true he would sound just as good if he didnt smoke, and mary jane is far worse for the vocals than cigs by the way.
  • dont_go_on_medont_go_on_me Posts: 877
    anyone who says his voice has gotten better must have missed the acl tv show performance. he really struggled with a lot of the tunes.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,984
    Okay, seriously? Mick Jagger's voice is not what it was, and who would expect it to be? The dude is older than my parents, and his bandmates are lucky to still be alive. Bono's voice sounds like absolute hell. I cannot listen to the new U2 album (and unlike a number of you, I love U2 and have been listening to them for over 25 years), and it was painful to listen to him on, say, SNL during the "Atomic Bomb" tour/promotion.

Yes, Ed's voice has changed. Yes, he now sings instead of yelling. No, it is not what it was twenty years ago. On the other hand, I saw him on his solo tour in 2008, and I thought his voice was spot-on.

But, come on. Twenty years ago, I was graduating from college. Now, I have a kid who is looking at colleges. I take good care of myself, and I can tell you that my voice is just one of many things that is not what it was twenty years ago. At the same time, in spite of that wear and tear I am, in many ways, healthier, happier and smarter than I was twenty years ago. And so it goes.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • joebotjoebot Posts: 372
    Surely we can all agree that we rather Eddie not smoke for more reasons than just his singing, you know like fucking cancer and emphysema. We love the guy and want him to live a long healthy life and see his grand kids.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    joebot wrote:
    Surely we can all agree that we rather Eddie not smoke for more reasons than just his singing, you know like fucking cancer and emphysema. We love the guy and want him to live a long healthy life and see his grand kids.
    Certainly but a little understanding of the situation is important too. Not everyone quits and he does not owe it to us to quit. I think that was maybe the direction the thread went that was a little goofy.
    Some people truly do not want to quit either and should not be judged for that.
    And some of his fans think he is more awesome now than he was as a young man smoking or otherwise.
    I agree with ya. Personal choice above all.
    We all have strong feelings/love for the great Edward Louis Severson III.
    joebot wrote:
    I agree with ya. Personal choice above all.
    We all have strong feelings/love for the great Edward Louis Severson III.
    I've never seen anyone post his given name here. I knew it of course but it is cool to see. 8-)
    thanks
    :ugeek: your welcome
    anyone who says his voice has gotten better must have missed the acl tv show performance. he really struggled with a lot of the tunes.

yeah...
    i meant to say
    that's the only time i pouted a little about ed's voice.
    he did a tv show....it's a bummer he wasn't ready or whatever the reason.

yeah...
    i meant to say
    I watch that show on a regular basis as it is taped on the dvr if its the one from Nov. I think he sounds great. His voice cracks on The End but I think its supposed to. Thats the message in the song, its an emotional plea which Ed portrays beautifully. I imagine I get swept into the moment watching them. For me its a package that can't be beat that I don't pick apart.
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    pandora wrote:

yeah...
    i meant to say
    I watch that show on a regular basis as it is taped on the dvr if its the one from Nov. I think he sounds great. His voice cracks on The End but I think its supposed to. Thats the message in the song, its an emotional plea which Ed portrays beautifully. I imagine I get swept into the moment watching them. For me its a package that can't be beat that I don't pick apart.

I am about to start a thread titled ***Post here if you've ever seen a negative post from Pandora***, but I have a feeling it would die where it stands...
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,252
    pandora wrote:
    joebot wrote:
    Certainly but a little understanding of the situation is important too. Not everyone quits and he does not owe it to us to quit. I think that was maybe the direction the thread went that was a little goofy.
    Some people truly do not want to quit either and should not be judged for that.
    And some of his fans think he is more awesome now than he was as a young man smoking or otherwise.

+1
    pandora wrote:

I am about to start a thread titled ***Post here if you've ever seen a negative post from Pandora***, but I have a feeling it would die where it stands...
    That is so nice of you to say, I will take that as a compliment.
    Hopefully you don't want to ring my little neck though.
    I'd say rub me out but I learned my lesson there ;) :P

true that. :lol:

cheers to pandora!

• callencallen Posts: 6,388
    I noticed last night that Ed did not even ATTEMPT the high notes on In Hiding. Was it an off night or is his voice going?
    Ed sounded like crap last year at ACL but incredible in new orleans. One of the reasons wanted to see them first date of tour.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG

true that. :lol:

cheers to pandora!
    cheers to you! (glasses clink :!: ) Blondieblue you are just precious
    here's to friday night and pj!

*chink*

less than a week away baby...........may 13th!

callen wrote:
    I noticed last night that Ed did not even ATTEMPT the high notes on In Hiding. Was it an off night or is his voice going?
    Ed sounded like crap last year at ACL but incredible in new orleans. One of the reasons wanted to see them first date of tour.
    I'm hearing he is sounding so very fine 4 shows in. Hope he's drinking his hot molasses ;) its all good no one can touch his voice even when weary.

*chink*

Oh you are going to the Va show, great! hope its the very best and you get awesome seats, the lottery row one for you! Only the best
    We are going to Hartford yeah! I hope they pull out alone, once and marker again, those were my picks
    Happy Friday to you too Sugar clink clink clink
    ah oh time for a refill ;)
  • veddertownveddertown Posts: 5,260

*chink*

It's going to be a long week for you Ivy! I'm pretty sure Ed will sound just fine. I've still got nearly 7 weeks to wait yet :thumbdown:
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12