Ed's Voice??

AlltheWay23AlltheWay23 Posts: 159
edited May 2010 in The Porch
I noticed last night that Ed did not even ATTEMPT the high notes on In Hiding. Was it an off night or is his voice going?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    did he in chicago for in hiding?
  • PushinPaintPushinPaint Posts: 433
    he did in Chicago..he sounded great on that one

for what its worth, I was in KC and Eddie sounded the best I have ever seen him or heard him in a while. I went to Columbia in '08 and Chicago last summer, and KC is #1 for me. Awesome show - they were simply en fuego
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Ed's voice?? is just beautiful
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    pandora wrote:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • joebotjoebot Posts: 372
    pandora wrote:

I agree. Although listening to Pearl jam radio really shows you the change over the years.
  • UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE96sS-mmvM

We're still good to go

Bring on Columbus !
    joebot wrote:
    pandora wrote:

I agree. Although listening to Pearl jam radio really shows you the change over the years.
    I feel Ed's voice has changed for the better. His emotion is now from a lifetime of experiences and you can hear this in his voice. The loves, the losses. A true pleasure and gratefulness. I guess you could say a reconciliation with life. It's a voice that has been with me for 20 years, its like a friend. A friend may change a bit over the years but they are still your friend, a seasoned friend and most would say that is even better.
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    pandora wrote:

I feel Ed's voice has changed for the better. His emotion is now from a lifetime of experiences and you can hear this in his voice. The loves, the losses. A true pleasure and gratefulness. I guess you could say a reconciliation with life. It's a voice that has been with me for 20 years, its like a friend. A friend may change a bit over the years but they are still your friend, a seasoned friend and most would say that is even better.

What she said.
  • send a thank you letter to American Spirits.

I think he sounds better with age though I wish he'd void the degradation of his gift.

ps he did sing a hell of a show the night before in KC, I know I was there. so nana nana boo boo :D
  • RedMosquito22RedMosquito22 Posts: 8,158
    His voice has changed since he started smoking a while back which is why he struggles with some songs these days and why they have changed the key to some songs as well.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • His voice has changed since he started smoking a while back which is why he struggles with some songs these days and why they have changed the key to some songs as well.

Though the smoking is a factor a lot of it is age and previous damage from overusage as well as how much you exercise the vocal chords, it is a muscle and needs conditioning. Ask Robert Plant or Steven Tyler why they change the keys to songs. Its tough doing 3 hours a night back to back in a key that you get an endless amount of takes to do in a studio.
  • Vedder_Girl77Vedder_Girl77 Posts: 4,335
    I have not seen PJ yet this year but his voice sound great last year in Philly.
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • RedMosquito22RedMosquito22 Posts: 8,158
    His voice has changed since he started smoking a while back which is why he struggles with some songs these days and why they have changed the key to some songs as well.

Though the smoking is a factor a lot of it is age and previous damage from overusage as well as how much you exercise the vocal chords, it is a muscle and needs conditioning. Ask Robert Plant or Steven Tyler why they change the keys to songs. Its tough doing 3 hours a night back to back in a key that you get an endless amount of takes to do in a studio.

Those 2 vocal styles are much different. Ed has a vocal coach and the smoking more than anything else has changed his voice and has caused his struggles. Its like Stone or Mike punching a wall(not as hard as they can of course). Eventually it will ruin their hand just like smoking will eventually force Ed to not do certain songs because he cant. He struggles with Jeremy so much anymore and maybe 2 times out of 10 he nails it.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • joebotjoebot Posts: 372
    I agree with the smoking as the main culprit. Theres no way you consistently put smoke into your vocal cords and there is no damage done.
    Good thing his voice was so damn fine to begin with because smoking or not it's still the very best we have in this world!
    And this PJ radio is very nice
    thank you 10C!
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
    ahh man....ed's voice threads are BLAH.

young eds voice makes my toes curl
    but now i'm just happy to here him after all these years. when i'm watching recent pj on tv with friends they usually make a comment about how good his voice sounds.
    so it can't be all that bad can it?
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    It's that damn Nicotine Fault, should just stick to Mary Jane :mrgreen:
  • zootownzootown Posts: 666
    pandora wrote:
    Good thing his voice was so damn fine to begin with because smoking or not it's still the very best we have in this world!
    thank you 10C!

On you on the payroll? :roll:
    I hold the pain, release me!
  • Nitsua87Nitsua87 Posts: 95
    I find it funny that some people think he should still have the same voice he did in 1992. Yes, he's smoking. Yes, he's older. And, yes, it's still BAD ASS.

He (and the rest of the band) certainly don't need the money, so just enjoy it every time they indulge us with a tour, regardless of the duration.
  • still sounds great to me. i think people over analyze it.
  • bry321f11bry321f11 Posts: 326
    pandora wrote:

What she said.

yup
  • ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018
    I noticed last night that Ed did not even ATTEMPT the high notes on In Hiding. Was it an off night or is his voice going?

Huh? He only dodged two "in hiding" when he put the mic to the audience and the rest he hit pretty well.
  • zootownzootown Posts: 666
    Nitsua87 wrote:
    I find it funny that some people think he should still have the same voice he did in 1992. Yes, he's smoking. Yes, he's older. And, yes, it's still BAD ASS.

He (and the rest of the band) certainly don't need the money, so just enjoy it every time they indulge us with a tour, regardless of the duration.

I cant resist responding to this, sorry. That excuse is lame. There are plenty of lead singers who dont smoke or drink like Eddie has, and wow, what a shocker, their voices still sound amazing and yes, even close to what they were 20 years ago. Im not asking for 1992 Eddie, but 2005 Eddie would be great, thanks!
    I hold the pain, release me!
  • Grandmas JamGrandmas Jam Posts: 1,860
    I heard your voice is shot :lol::lol::lol:
    Ryan Crooks insists upon himself
    zootown wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    thank you 10C!

On you on the payroll? :roll:
    :roll: I just love them is all :thumbup:
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    well my first 3 songs off pearl jam radio:

2000 - untitled
    2009 - mfc
    1996 - off he goes

2009 eddie sounded very out of place.
  • lowbudgetlushlowbudgetlush Posts: 611
    zootown wrote:
    Nitsua87 wrote:

I cant resist responding to this, sorry. That excuse is lame. There are plenty of lead singers who dont smoke or drink like Eddie has, and wow, what a shocker, their voices still sound amazing and yes, even close to what they were 20 years ago. Im not asking for 1992 Eddie, but 2005 Eddie would be great, thanks!

Out of curiosity which singers are you talking about? There is only one singer that sounds as good today as he did 20 years ago & that is James Dean Bradfield of the Manic Street Preachers.
    They say the eyes are the windows to the soul
    well then, for me, one's voice is their pure spirit.
    A culmination of our time here, genetics, character traits, experience, emotion and yes lifestyle.
    It's the sound of our lives.
    I hear Eddie's spirit, I can feel it, and I believe it is unsurpassed.
    His voice has been a source of peace and enjoyment for me for so long that I don't remember life without it.
    His voice will always, no matter what the years bring, be beautiful to me.
    We are the lucky ones.
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
    Round of applause for Pandora!

....and look even Ed’s joining in. (your siggy)

pandora wrote:
    His voice has been a source of peace and enjoyment for me for so long that I don't remember life without it.

i feel the same exact way.
    i don't want to ever take it or pj for granted.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

Round of applause for Pandora!

....and look even Ed’s joining in. (your siggy)

pandora wrote:

i feel the same exact way.
    i don't want to ever take it or pj for granted.
    :thumbup:
    your little pic always makes me smile, so sweet and happy, yellow like sunshine, warms the heart like listening to PJ :D