Options

*** Kansas City Fanviews Here 5/3/10 ***

Comments

• Options
    Birdman77Birdman77 Posts: 21
    It was my girlfriend's and my first show and we both had a blast. I cannot believe how much energy the band has after all these years. I actually shrieked when Present Tense started and I could not talk at all yesterday.

We came down from Minneapolis the day of the show and left the next morning but we both loved KC and wished we could have stayed longer. We are going to have to get back down there and see a Twins-Royals game at Kauffman.

Side question - who plays in the Sprint Center? Does any team? Jayhawks b-ball? The NBA needs to move to KC, its a wonderful place.
  • Options
    Awesome. My 6th show. After being at SLC and Philly I in the fall I can't believe that both KC and STL rocked out and lived up to my high expectations. Seats weren't as great as the ones we had in STL, but 22nd row is not terrible (unless you're short with big dudes in front of you :x )

I won't repeat what's been said here about the energy, the crowd and the fact that the guys were ON FIRE that night, because everyone's said it here already.

I will say this. I met a fan in STL who had seen the setlist for KC and didn't think it was too impressive. Very vanilla. And my reaction after being there is this: the setlist doesn't really tell much about the show. Yes, they played Evenflow. And it was Evenflow. But it was probably the best version I've heard. They rocked out on Porch for a while too. And lastly, you can't explain how hilarious it was to see Eddie almost miss his cue because he was covered in cake and had to fling it off his hands while running to the mic.

Finally, the afterparty was awesome. The bars in the Power & Light district all spilled out into this center courtyard where a PJ video was being played on a giant screen. Kept us singing well into the night.

31584_392224337019_588387019_3856196_6857869_a.jpg
    Pepsi Center - Apr 1 '03, Jul 2-3 '06 | Grant Park - Aug 05 '07 | E Center - Sep 28 '09 | Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 27 '09 | Sprint Center May 3 '10 | Scottrade Center May 4 '10 | Alpine Valley - Sep 3-4, '11 | Wrigley Field - July 19, '13 | Pepsi Center Oct 22, '14
  • Options
    dissident52dissident52 Omaha, NE Posts: 33
    It was my first Pearl Jam show as well. I'm from Omaha, Nebraska. The last time they came anywhere close was for the Riot Act tour, which they played the Mid-America Center in Council Bluffs, Iowa. But they haven't been in Omaha since 1992. If anyone knows why they haven't been, I would really like to know. Thanks in advance.

But I digress, the show itself was amazing. I just signed up for the Ten Club today, so I wasn't lucky enough to get those Ten Club seats, but I had so much fun regardless. But actually right where I was sitting, there was a fight that broke out. Which it was a shame because one of the guys in the fight was from Omaha as well, it was also his first Pearl Jam show, and was an all-around nice guy. So it was a shame to see that he couldn't see the rest of the show.

But this will by all means be the first of many Pearl Jam shows for this fan.
    05/03/2010 Kansas City, Missouri
    10/09/2014 Lincoln, Nebraska
  • Options
    ericwaller20ericwaller20 Posts: 325
    Great show. Of the girl as an opener was amazing. Great introduction to Gods Dice. Tons of energy. between no more war, gold medal and birthday cake it was an amazing night.
  • Options
    SharonCSharonC Posts: 105
    My son and I were at this show. We drove up from Norman, OK. What an awesome night!! I also won the lottery and we were first row on Stone's side. I couldn't believe it when i saw my tickets! I kept looking at them thinking it must be some kind of mistake until we were actually down there, haha.

Great crowd, great energy from the band, lots of fun with the cake....all the things that have been said already. I was really happy to get Present Tense (it's my favorite), as well as Of The Girl and MFC. I also got one of Ed's picks! :-)

I stood way too much (I have an autoimmune connective tissue disease and I came in and left in a wheelchair). I ended up standing for about 3 songs at a time and then sitting for 1 or 2. I probably stood longer in that 2 and a half hours than I have in the past year and a half and I was really hurting, but it was totally worth it!!

Thanks Ten Club for front row (I still can't believe that!), and thanks PJ for an amazing show!!
  • Options
    Awesome show! I cant wait to get the bootleg to edit the audio with all the video and pictures I captured.
  • Options
    cd21millercd21miller Columbia, MO Posts: 302
    Show 19 for me and back to the scene (somewhat, anyway) of my first PJ show in '98.

My take:

1) I was able to continue my streak of NOTwinning the lottery! :? 217,xxx got me 20th row on the aisle on Stone's side. After the usual disappointment of not winning the lottery (and for the record, I think everyone in line in front of me got tix in the first 5 rows), I then moved on to the feeling of...20th row for PJ...sweet!! Let's get this thing going!

2) Took a friend to his first show for his birthday. Gave him Backspacer and some RVM mix a month or so ago to get acquainted. His take at the end: "That was AWESOME!!! Such energy...you can't help but get caught up in it. Wish I knew the songs a little better, but now I know what you've been talking about all these years!" So, count him in as a new recruit. Kept texting me during the STL show to see what they were playing.

3) Good times at the pre-party (but who has drink specials until 3 only?) and the Power and Light district was very cool. I live 2 hours away, but never had been there before. Beautiful night to enjoy the MSG show on the video and enjoy the liquids outside. Also cool to catch up with some of you that I only get to see at shows. Can't wait to meet even more on down the line.

4) As for the show...as always, outstanding. Nothing that I hadn't seen before, but the beauty of a PJ show is that the right mix, even if you've heard it a 1,000 times can make it even more sweet. Present Tense, Black, Porch, Of the Girl...awesome. RITFW was actually fresh again for me, as well. A perfect setlist for the casual to almost diehard fan and as someone posted earlier, looking at the setlist may not inspire you, but to hear it all together and with the energy...wow. LOVE seeing Ed in a great mood. When Ed's happy....everyone is...oh, you know the drill.

5) More fun in the Power and Light afterward. I still don't have neat "I ran into Mike after the show!" stories, but a great night overall. GREAT night, people. KC represented in a big way. Not a Missouri guy by birth, but I was proud of the Show-Me state after that.

On to STL!
  • Options
    Mitch8415Mitch8415 Posts: 227
    ""Side question - who plays in the Sprint Center? Does any team? Jayhawks b-ball? The NBA needs to move to KC, its a wonderful place.""

They tried to lure an NBA or NHL team there for a while, and they almost amazingly had the Pittsburgh Penguins committed on coming to KC.... but it all fell through.

They had an arena league football team that played there until the league folded a year or so ago...

KU plays there a couple of times a year, and they host concerts, the Big XII bball tourney, and some NCAA tourney games there from time to time, but nothing real permanent.

I agree it was a nice venue and setup, and would be great for a pro team... IF KC could get behind one.
    ~ Chicago 5/16/06 ~ Chicago 8/23/09 ~ Chicago 8/24/09 ~
    ~ Kansas City 5/3/10 ~ Alpine Valley 9/3/11 ~ Alpine Valley 9/4/11 ~
    ~ Wrigley Field 7/19/13 ~ Oklahoma City 11/16/13 ~ St. Louis 10/3/14 ~
    ~ Wrigley Field 8/20/16 ~ Wrigley Field 8/18/18 ~ Wrigley Field 8/20/18 ~
    ~ Fenway Park 9/4/18 ~ Denver 9/22/22
  • Options
    pjtourpjtour Posts: 83
    I've seen a few comments on here about the setlist not being that great so I just wanted to add a few comments about why this show was so great.

I've seen PJ play from coast to coast and on every tour since '94 so I can understand some people seeing the setlist and saying, not many rarities, too many hits, etc. Once again the 10 club hooked me up w/ awesome seats, 12th row center!

However, this show had a lot of special moments. Most of these have already been mentioned, such as Willie Wilson attending and Ed wearing his jersey but there was more to it.

Yes, Tomas Young was there but I didn't see it mentioned that he is also from Kansas City so this was a hometown show for him. For him to be onstage for "No More" was one great, but the emotion expressed for Tomas from both the crowd and the band is simply inexplainable. I think it truly was a very emotional moment for everyone in attendance!

There was only one cover in the setlist but it was Rockin' In the Free World which was VERY fitting after Tomas having been on stage.

Then in the 2nd encore they talk about a bobsledder that listened to Pearl Jam to "Get All Freaky" before a run (Ed's quote). Curt Tomasevicz was the bobsledder and had told the band he would love to get a chance to jam w/ the band to a certain song sometime. As it turned out the song was Yellow Ledbetter and that was his moment. The crowd immediately broke into chants of U-S-A! U-S-A! when Curtis came on stage. It was a very patriotic moment that was even more special for Curt Tomasevicz since he grew up in the neighboring state of Nebraska, where he also played football for the Cornhuskers. So this was about as much of a hometown show as he will ever get and he was on stage playing with the band.

Then to end the show McCready does the Star Spangled Banner which just took it all back full circle to Tomas being on stage, Curt Tomasevicz there wearing his Olympics shirt and gold medal, RITFW having just been played and it all taking place in the heartland of the USA..... it felt like it was the 4th of July or something! All of this tied together with the incredible energy of the crowd made this one of the best shows I've had the pleasure of seeing. Nothing on paper can ever relate what this show was truly like in person....very impressive!

A couple of last notes.....Ed was wearing a "Body of War" T-shirt and Curt Tomasevicz saw some of us in the crowd wearing Husker gear and gave props out to us as well.

Simply AWESOME!!! Thanks PJ!
    I'll ride the wave, where it takes me...
  • Options
    Just read thru all the posts about the show....As always, great thoughts and memories from the PJ community.

One thing that stuck with me from the show was meeting alot of people who had never seen a show before. The couple next to me, were two. After three songs the girl turned to me and said, "They're awesome". Sounds like a simple story with no climax, which it is, but to experience that moment of realization was pretty cool. Another person I met after the show said she was upset because all these years she hadn't been listening and couldn't belive how much the seemd to care about "people". And yet another person I met had gotten tickets becasue of doing relief work in Haiti. She was literally stunned by the positive energy.

Another notable memory for me was watching the crowd. As the set started, it seemed a little like people were just at another rock-n-roll concert. But then rather quickly and collectively the mass realized how Damn good of a band PJ is. Real, honest, hard working, lyrically profound and important, musically engaged and wickedly kind hearted.

A parting thought that occured to me during present tense was something Ed said at a show a while back. I can't remember the show, but it was probably one of the Greatwoods shows. He said how important it was that whatever you do, just do it good. As a person who has a pretty good, positive life, but always struggled with the grind of being a working stiff, it helped me enormously. I reflected on it during the song and was filled with contentment as I realized that I had done just that and having that perespective changed my trajectory toward a much happier life. As most long time PJ fans will tell you, this band creates and impacts lives in profound ways.
  • Options
    dmlewey84dmlewey84 Posts: 1
    That show was awesome! We had the best time. My boyfriend and I can't quit talking about it. I wish I could see Pearl Jam every night. <3<3<3
  • Options
    BP87683BP87683 Posts: 6
    No one posted anything about the boooing...When Eddie was introducing band members, he got to the keyboardist and there was a distinct, "booooo". Well, the guy's name is Boomer. Eddie kinda got pissed and said, "What the fuck?" I hope they got it that the KC crowd wasn't booing anything about the best indoor Pearl Jam show I've seen. I've been to 2 of their shows at the natural amphitheater in Bonner Springs and enjoyed both a lot, even with rain in '03. The weather would have made Monday night a great show in the old venue...perfect day in my book though. I hope everyone there enjoys the first Friday night show of the tour tonight!!!
  • Options
    SharonCSharonC Posts: 105
    BP87683 wrote:
    No one posted anything about the boooing...When Eddie was introducing band members, he got to the keyboardist and there was a distinct, "booooo". Well, the guy's name is Boomer. Eddie kinda got pissed and said, "What the fuck?" I hope they got it that the KC crowd wasn't booing anything about the best indoor Pearl Jam show I've seen. I've been to 2 of their shows at the natural amphitheater in Bonner Springs and enjoyed both a lot, even with rain in '03. The weather would have made Monday night a great show in the old venue...perfect day in my book though. I hope everyone there enjoys the first Friday night show of the tour tonight!!!

They weren't saying "boo," they were saying "Boom." Ed knows because it happens all the time. I'm sure when he said "I don't know what the fuck your problem is!" he was just kidding. He kind of laughed when he said it. :lol:
  • Options
    jh275312jh275312 Posts: 89
    I have been a fan of Pearl Jam since TEN when I was in college. My wife and I traveled from Minneapolis to see them in Kansas City. We have three young kids, so it was A LOT of organizing and coordinating to pull this off. We had babysitters, rides to school, rides to soccer games etc to figure out. We also have a new puppy so that was a lot to figure out too. I am a school teacher so I also had to plan for being gone for two days. We were driving down 35 on Sunday and after about 5-6 hours I started to wonder if it was even worth it. The second they came out I KNEW it was. They are playing so well right now. I could not believe how awesome and fast the first few songs were. They are UNBELIEVABLE!!! As far as I am concerned the set list was perfect. I got to hear Present Tense and Off He Goes, and my wife got to hear a bunch of her favorite songs. It was also fun hanging out in the Power Light District. KC is so beautiful. Kind of like Minnesota without the lakes. I do not post on here much, because sometimes the way some people act it is a little weird. Swearing and getting so mad at Ten Club, or the set list had too many hits etc.... They kind of remind me of the comic book store owner from the Simpsons. I mean I love Pearl Jam, but I also have other interests as well. Anyways I am just writing to let all of you who are debating on whether to see them this tour or not, DO IT. They are so tight and happy and who knows when you will be able to see them play this well again.
    Peace, Joe
  • Options
    BP87683BP87683 Posts: 6
    SharonC wrote:
    BP87683 wrote:

They weren't saying "boo," they were saying "Boom." Ed knows because it happens all the time. I'm sure when he said "I don't know what the fuck your problem is!" he was just kidding. He kind of laughed when he said it. :lol:

I'm with ya...he was already touring with the guys in '03. I'm just passing on the helpful banter of a just drunk enough guy on my left who, when the "booom" happened, turned to me and said, "they're not booing man, his name is Boomer"... kind of an inside joke. Dude had as great of a time as I did...but was too beers from falling down...and out...never hurt a soul though...like to meet him again some day...refer above, perfect day.
  • Options
    GB45499GB45499 Posts: 232
    Mitch8415 wrote:
    Pretty cool day... the way it was set up with the Power and Light District was awesome. Huge pre-party @ Johnny's Tavern that spilled out into the big middle area with every bar rocking PJ all day long. They were even playing some PJ DVD's on the big screen out in the plaza area.

Hey Mitch thanks again to you and Dillon for sharing the table and stories at the pre-party! Let's do it again next time! :D
  • Options
    dusthimselfdusthimself Missouri Posts: 21
    SharonC wrote:
    BP87683 wrote:

hahahha, thanks, totally confused us. They seemed to have booed for Gossard too which was annoying.
    Pearl Jam: Austin City Limits Music Festival 2009, Kansas City 2010, Atlanta Music Midtown Festival 2012, Wrigley Field 2013, St. Louis 2014, Tulsa 2014, Memphis 2014, Lextington 2016, Seattle Home Shows Nights 1 & 2 2018.
    Eddie Vedder: WM3 Benefit 2010, Tulsa Night Two 2012.
  • Options
    DivkaDivka Posts: 198
    My 19-yr-old sister and I flew in from Denver to see this show, it was her first time seeing them. We were in the 3rd row, in between Eddie and Stone, so needless to say she was beyond stoked for the show to start. I'm so glad she was able to see such an incredible show, with such a killer set-list. This was probably the 2nd best show of theirs I've ever seen, and that's simply because I reserve the #1 spot for the 10th anniversary show.

After the show she made some comments that stood out to me. One was "Before, I liked Pearl Jam a lot, but now I understand why you are the way you are about them." She said this show just blew away every other concert she'd ever been to, and that she didn't even know a band could be so good live. She deemed it "the best night of her life."

Also, I don't drink at PJ shows, just because I like to be very clear and focused so I can absorb everything. She was kinda mad that I wouldn't buy her drinks b4 the show, but afterwards, she said, "I totally get now why you don't drink at these shows."

She has officially laid claim on my 2nd 10C ticket for any and all future shows!

She too was confused about the "Boooom" cheers, and said to me, "Why are you booing that guy?!" I know a lot of people unfamiliar with PJ live think we're booing, which is kinda funny.

One last note ... a comment from the girl in front of us, who was also a first-timer: "Now I see why people see them 70 billion times!" :lol:
    When the stars exploded billions of years ago, they formed everything that is this world. Everything we know is stardust...
  • Options
    SK141903SK141903 Posts: 4
    Amazing show! Was fortunate enough to accompany a lottery winner! Here's my accounts of the evening.

http://www.athousandpointsoflight.com/2 ... -3rd-2010/
    Air Canada Centre - Oct 05, 2000 / Molson Amphitheatre - Jun 28, 2003 / TD Banknorth Garden - May 24, 2006 / Kitchener Memorial Auditorium - Sep 11, 2005 / John Labatt Centre - Sep 12, 2005 / Copps Coliseum - Sep 13, 2005 / Air Canada Centre - Sep 19, 2005 / Air Canada Centre - May 09, 2006 / Air Canada Centre - May 10, 2006 / Key Arena - Sep 21, 2009 / Key Arena - Sep 22, 2009 / GM Place - Sep 25, 2009 / Clark County Ampitheater - Sep 26, 2009 / Sprint Center - May 03, 2010 / Scottrade Center - May 04, 2010 / MTS Center - Sep 17, 2011 / Credit Union Center - Sep 19, 2011 / Scotiabank Saddledome - Sep 21, 2011 / Rexall Place - Sep 23, 2011
  • Options
    Pry ToPry To Posts: 285
    SK141903 wrote:
    Amazing show! Was fortunate enough to accompany a lottery winner! Here's my accounts of the evening.

http://www.athousandpointsoflight.com/2 ... -3rd-2010/

Really nice review! Thanks for posting. Great photos, too!
    Los Angeles - Sep 11, 1992
    Memphis - Aug 15, 2000
    Chicago - May 16, 2006
    Chicago - Aug 23-24, 2009
    Columbus - May 6, 2010
    Noblesville - May 7, 2010
    Manchester - June 20-21, 2012
    Amsterdam - June 26-27, 2012
    Berlin - July 4-5, 2012
  • Options
    JBiiJBii Lake Spivey Posts: 354
    Pandora you are a sweet lady, I am lucky to be sharing my life with you. ;)
    I agree with everything below, especially the people we met and the lack of screens sucked.
    Oh and who was the :evil: person we met that gave us this terrible sore throat and cough?
    pandora wrote:
    Firstly KC is a most lovely city, it is the city of fountains. The local people so friendly, the food wonderful, especially Jack Stacks. The homes, stone bungalows reminded me of the architecture in Milwaukee.
    We took a drive in the countryside unbelievably beautiful. Rolling hills of green, beautiful blue skies, warm sunshine, a nice strong breeze. Met a pretty horse brown and white and a couple cows. The lilacs were in bloom. I would love to go back to KC someday, it is a city to be proud of for sure.
    The hotel, the Westin just gorgeous, thank you for the great deal as the earth to the sun. The balconies were closed down but they hooked us up with one that opened in the tree tops overlooking a berm with a great big bunny whom I had cocktails with and shared a bagel :D Lots of local birds too. A memory to hold is the blue jay drinking out of cement holes too funny, just the tip of his tail to be seen and he's a big bird!
    The evening lightning storm, that Eddie mentions on the stage, was spectacular, especially listening to Pearl Jam on the balcony with the anticipation for the concert the next night. I need my science guy here again. I've got more questions, like all the lightning but no thunder?? Very cool.
    This concert was the concert of great fans. I will cherish the memories of all the great people we met.The crowd was great. My view was tough and no screens available to watch but the girl in front of me was filming so I watched her phone a bit :) ironic after the thread here. Half way through the show the crowd parted just enough and I was in perfect line with Eddies microphone in row 28. It was nice to see him again.
    So a :wave: to all my new friends, I am a lucky girl. It is the best thing about Pearl Jam, the coming together of hearts in this common love, a love of the music. And it was great! Come on Hartford!!
    That what you fear the most could meet you halfway
  • Options
    TimmayTimmay Posts: 20
    My g/f and i scored front row tix a little left of Mike for Kansas and to our absolute astonishment, we also snagged front row for St Louis too! We were the lucky bastards from Australia. Funny though, we'd had our trip booked a month before they announced the tour, so we were very fortunate it all worked into our travel plans.

Here is what my g/f wrote to our friends and family back home of our Kansas experience as we drove to St Louis.

'Well we are on the road to St Louis after an amazing night in Kansas
    City! The Pearl Jam concert was brilliant with so many great moments.
    I gave Tim an early b'day present 1st thing in the morning - a stack
    of temporary tattoos of a PJ image which I had made up for him back in
    Melb. He is now considering the real thing... What have I done;)

We headed into town to get our tix and met the PJ fan club fund-raising
    group at a pub opposite the stadium. We decided we would take the
    extra tattoos to put on the fans and they could donate to the homeless
    people fundraiser the fan club had going.

It was good doing this as we made heaps of friends. We also won 2 of
    the raffles; a PJ vinyl and a $25 Macey's (Myers) voucher. We
    connected with a really cool couple from Omaha, Paul and Spencer.
    Everyone was comparing each others seat locations. We were so chuffed to tell them we'd won the lottery.
    The fan club gave us the responsibility of giving PJ the card everyone had
    signed - no pressure.

We went in and got our front row seats which were far left in front of
    Mike McCready. It was just brilliant! But aside from the best seats in
    the house, other 'out of this world' highlights were:
    - Mike McCready playing a solo just to us n throwing us his guitar pick.
    - Eddie Vedder handing Tim HIS WINE n getting us to pass it along! Tim
    is now a wine drinker! We both swigged it down & it was a damn good
    vintage!
    - At the same moment Eddie gave Tim the wine, I gave Eddy the fan club
    card we were bestowed with delivering. I opened it up so he could see
    all the signatures. Eddie graciously took it with both hands and held
    it up on stage - phew, fan club should be happy with that one!
    - Next heart stopping moment, but one which Tim is now an expert at...
    Eddie came over & gave Tim a Tambourine!!! (i got one in Sydney last year :-) )
    This time Tim took it all in & remembers the rest of the concert - in Sydney it was
    all a dizzy blur of excitement. Tim got to be percussion for the last 2 songs of
    the concert & played his 2nd tambourine proudly.

We caught up with our 2 new friends after the show n swapped greatest
    moment stories then headed to the fan club bar to swap more stories
    - they were proud of our achievements, loving that Eddie got the card.
    They were all calling Tim a lucky bastard for getting the tambourine &
    the wine!

Walking back to our hotel we saw a bus exiting the stadium. We thought
    we couldn't be that lucky to see the band leaving - but shit yeah we
    were! The bus drove right along side of us & we could see Boom & Mike
    waving back at us. It was just hilarious how fortunate we were!

We r still buzzing, bring on St Louis!

So that's our story from the 1st show. Just an amazing night i'll never forget.

THANK YOU TEN CLUB!
  • Options
    embraceembrace Posts: 849
    First time lottery winner (2nd row, dead center), I so hope not the last. I better not be the minority around here with all the whining about tix, but the lotto is fkn brilliant! The ppl I met up front who had also scored on the lotto were ecstatic.. def what it is all about! The energy everyone exudes when they've won is magic! Cheers to lovely soul who was touring through to Buffalo with your friend who Ed made sure got the tambourine after the first one was snaked, to the new friends from Omaha, Oklahoma and Texas- so great to chat and rock!
    I danced my asse off, my body ached on the travels to STL. This show was so much fun. OTG gave me chills as did Present Tense and No More (which is a song I have such mixed emotions about these days...seeing TY made it surreal and filled me with such a strong sense of hope for the future). Thank you to the people I met, for sharing this experience with me- thank you to PJ for making this world possible. Hard to put into words sometimes the culmination of time, energy, beliefs, ways of life and its impacts and products...PJ shows are often for me a coming home. Cheers!
    got a car...got some gas...oh let's get out of here-get out of here fast...
    I hope you get this message but your not home...I will be there in just a minute or so...
    I want to go but I want to go with you.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. -MT

I've had enough, said enough, felt enough. I'm fine, still in it.
  • Options
    tpjohnson16tpjohnson16 Posts: 75
    Timmay wrote:
    My g/f and i scored front row tix a little left of Mike for Kansas and to our absolute astonishment, we also snagged front row for St Louis too! We were the lucky bastards from Australia. Funny though, we'd had our trip booked a month before they announced the tour, so we were very fortunate it all worked into our travel plans.

Here is what my g/f wrote to our friends and family back home of our Kansas experience as we drove to St Louis.

'Well we are on the road to St Louis after an amazing night in Kansas
    City! The Pearl Jam concert was brilliant with so many great moments.
    I gave Tim an early b'day present 1st thing in the morning - a stack
    of temporary tattoos of a PJ image which I had made up for him back in
    Melb. He is now considering the real thing... What have I done;)

We headed into town to get our tix and met the PJ fan club fund-raising
    group at a pub opposite the stadium. We decided we would take the
    extra tattoos to put on the fans and they could donate to the homeless
    people fundraiser the fan club had going.

It was good doing this as we made heaps of friends. We also won 2 of
    the raffles; a PJ vinyl and a $25 Macey's (Myers) voucher. We
    connected with a really cool couple from Omaha, Paul and Spencer.
    Everyone was comparing each others seat locations. We were so chuffed to tell them we'd won the lottery.
    The fan club gave us the responsibility of giving PJ the card everyone had
    signed - no pressure.

We went in and got our front row seats which were far left in front of
    Mike McCready. It was just brilliant! But aside from the best seats in
    the house, other 'out of this world' highlights were:
    - Mike McCready playing a solo just to us n throwing us his guitar pick.
    - Eddie Vedder handing Tim HIS WINE n getting us to pass it along! Tim
    is now a wine drinker! We both swigged it down & it was a damn good
    vintage!
    - At the same moment Eddie gave Tim the wine, I gave Eddy the fan club
    card we were bestowed with delivering. I opened it up so he could see
    all the signatures. Eddie graciously took it with both hands and held
    it up on stage - phew, fan club should be happy with that one!
    - Next heart stopping moment, but one which Tim is now an expert at...
    Eddie came over & gave Tim a Tambourine!!! (i got one in Sydney last year :-) )
    This time Tim took it all in & remembers the rest of the concert - in Sydney it was
    all a dizzy blur of excitement. Tim got to be percussion for the last 2 songs of
    the concert & played his 2nd tambourine proudly.

We caught up with our 2 new friends after the show n swapped greatest
    moment stories then headed to the fan club bar to swap more stories
    - they were proud of our achievements, loving that Eddie got the card.
    They were all calling Tim a lucky bastard for getting the tambourine &
    the wine!

Walking back to our hotel we saw a bus exiting the stadium. We thought
    we couldn't be that lucky to see the band leaving - but shit yeah we
    were! The bus drove right along side of us & we could see Boom & Mike
    waving back at us. It was just hilarious how fortunate we were!

We r still buzzing, bring on St Louis!

So that's our story from the 1st show. Just an amazing night i'll never forget.

THANK YOU TEN CLUB!

Thank you so much for donating to our cause in Kansas City! We really appreciate your help! It was so crazy, I never got to really thank you guys, so THANK YOU!!
    Austin 9/16/95, Kansas City 7/3/98, St. Louis 10/11/00, Kansas City 10/12/00, Kansas City 6/12/03, Council Bluffs 6/13/03, MSG 7/8/03, St. Louis 10/5/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, NJ 6/1/06, NJ 6/1/06, The Gorge 7/22/06, The Gorge 7/23/06, Chicago 8/5/07, Bonnaroo 6/14/08, ACL 10/4/09, Kansas City 5/3/10, MSG 5/20/10, MSG 5/21/10, Voices for Justice, Little Rock, 8/28/10, PJ20
  • Options
    TimmayTimmay Posts: 20
    Thank you guys for putting on the pre-show event. It enabled us to meet a heap of great people while being part of a great cause.

Jeremy, i need to see your bag man with all the patches!
  • Options
    arakiasarakias Posts: 281
    Theres a review of the show up at popmatters
    http://www.popmatters.com/pm/review/125 ... as-city-mo
    nice way to start the tour, wish i had been!
  • Options
    simmers33simmers33 Posts: 228
    My favorite parts of this boot that will bring back the memory of being there are going to be:

1. Do the Evolution - Ed is wearing 'peace' T-shirt so he says "admire my clothes... Peace Man!" (complete with him flashing the 'peace' sign) just cool

2. Yellow Ledbetter - when they strap Curt with Jeff's bass Curt looked nervous. I think Ed could tell but Mike didn't seem to care, so when Ed said "Curt, you ready?" Mike just started the song without really waiting for Curt's response. Which causes Ed to say sarcastically "Mike, Curt is ready." Funny stuff! But Mike helped Curt at the end of the song - at the outro Curt looked like he maybe did not know when to stop so Mike let him know with a "cut the throat" motion. Then Mike did his thing to finish off the song and the great night!

3. Just the sheer power of the bright lights hitting for the first time as the first chord of Animal is played!

4. "I knew we had friends in KC, but I didn't know THIS (as he points to back of the house) many!"

It was a great show!
    Good evening...
  • Options
    JohnCJohnC Posts: 1
    My first show and I was really surprised they played so many songs. Pearl Jam is the last great american rock band. Thank you. Please come again!
  • Options
    Mitch8415Mitch8415 Posts: 227
    GB45499 wrote:
    Mitch8415 wrote:
    Pretty cool day... the way it was set up with the Power and Light District was awesome. Huge pre-party @ Johnny's Tavern that spilled out into the big middle area with every bar rocking PJ all day long. They were even playing some PJ DVD's on the big screen out in the plaza area.

Hey Mitch thanks again to you and Dillon for sharing the table and stories at the pre-party! Let's do it again next time! :D

Hey, no problem man! I'm of course down for that next time they come to KC (which I hope isn't another 7 years!)...

And, didn't realize those pics on the previous page were your friend's. Great shots! I'm jealous of your seats.
    ~ Chicago 5/16/06 ~ Chicago 8/23/09 ~ Chicago 8/24/09 ~
    ~ Kansas City 5/3/10 ~ Alpine Valley 9/3/11 ~ Alpine Valley 9/4/11 ~
    ~ Wrigley Field 7/19/13 ~ Oklahoma City 11/16/13 ~ St. Louis 10/3/14 ~
    ~ Wrigley Field 8/20/16 ~ Wrigley Field 8/18/18 ~ Wrigley Field 8/20/18 ~
    ~ Fenway Park 9/4/18 ~ Denver 9/22/22
  • Options
    iwasthereiwasthere Posts: 511
    Hey does anyone have any pictures of Ed wearing the Willie Wilson Kansas City Royals Jersey. If you do, please shoot me a pm. Thanks.
    tacos