I thought you were a friend, but I guess, I guess I hate you

Comments

• BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Plankton wrote:
    But I'm glad we talked...

Thought it was 'But I'm playin guitar'. Which didn't make complete sense as it's the mother saying that but I figured it was supposed to be the Eddie voice saying that ... Like 'This sucks, but I'm playing guitar so I'm alright and still alive'.

Hmph.

I thought the same exact thing for like the first ten years i heard it, i used to sing it out loud and everything.
  • ToneTone Posts: 1,206
    Black73 wrote:
    Make me fries

Classic! One of the funniest PJ things I've ever seen.

I bought a shirt with that line on the back, and "potato wave" on the front. No one has a clue...

I NEED that shirt! :lol:
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive.
  • Back in the early 90's I always sang "Once, oh party time" instead of "Once upon a time". I drank and smoked a lot back then so it kind of made more sense too. :lol::lol::lol:
  • ECMECM Posts: 1,687
    Back in the early 90's I always sang "Once, oh party time" instead of "Once upon a time". I drank and smoked a lot back then so it kind of made more sense too. :lol::lol::lol:

you still do....
    wishlistfoundation.org
  • Plankton wrote:

Thought it was 'But I'm playin guitar'. Which didn't make complete sense as it's the mother saying that but I figured it was supposed to be the Eddie voice saying that ... Like 'This sucks, but I'm playing guitar so I'm alright and still alive'.

Hmph.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who heard that. I also thought Black said "all the bitches have all been washed in black."
  • Princess KJPrincess KJ Posts: 442
    "I will be Yoda, so give me your mind"

In Brain of J.
    If I knew then, would I know now?

* Perth Entertainment Centre - Mar 06, 1995
    * Melbourne Park - Mar 02, 1998
    * Brisbane QSAC- Nov 25, 2009
    * EV Solo- QPAC- March 10, 12 and 13 2011

• doomponydoompony Posts: 4,497
    pearl jam should reference star wars once an album.

fact.
  • Princess KJPrincess KJ Posts: 442
    Noooo!!! Please let me have one part of my life where I don't have to hear about a galaxy far, far away! :lol:
    If I knew then, would I know now?

* Perth Entertainment Centre - Mar 06, 1995
    * Melbourne Park - Mar 02, 1998
    * Brisbane QSAC- Nov 25, 2009
    * EV Solo- QPAC- March 10, 12 and 13 2011

• BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    doompony wrote:

fact.
    +1
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Tone wrote:

Shit, I can't find it online anymore...
  • heidihiheidihi Posts: 114
    First time i heard Leash, i thought he was saying "Fuck Police! Fuck Police!, get outta my fucking face!"

Straight outta Compton WA

Me too.... for a very long time. It made sense to me. :?
    “The human race has only one really effective weapon and that is laughter.” Mark Twain
    heidihi wrote:
    First time i heard Leash, i thought he was saying "Fuck Police! Fuck Police!, get outta my fucking face!"

Wow, that's even worse than the dream police.
  • walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,569
    heidihi wrote:

+1 :oops:
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Mr RockoMr Rocko Posts: 647
    arq wrote:
    Oh Eddie, eddie, eddie, nobody understand you, but your mumbling is the best!

:lol: totally agree
    México 24/11/2011
  • ToneTone Posts: 1,206
    Tone wrote:

Bugger! Maybe we need to get creative... we'll get Boston Lou on the case, he likes creating t-shirts :lol:
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive.
    Tone wrote:
    Tone wrote:

Bugger! Maybe we need to get creative... we'll get Boston Lou on the case, he likes creating t-shirts :lol:

Yeah, we could def come up with something better than the shirt I have. I just thought it was funny to see that someone actually made one, so I snatched it up.
  • walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,569
    One more: up until a year ago, I thought "King Jeremy the wicked" went "King Jeremy, oh we cared" (which really wouldn't make much sense, would it?).
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • "Young girl . . . . violins" instead of violence. I think that's referenced in the lyric sheet too.

"Lick the dirt off Olajuwan's feet" is what I WANTED him to be saying in Rats.
    7/27/1992: Lollapalooza, St. Louis; 7/11/1995: Soldier Field, Chicago
    7/2/1998: Riverport, St. Louis; 7/3/1998: Sandstone, KC; 10/9/2000: Rosemont Horizon, Chicago; 10/12/2000 Sandstone, KC; 6/12/2003: Sanstone, KC; 6/13/2003 MAC Center, Omaha
    "Young girl . . . . violins" instead of violence. I think that's referenced in the lyric sheet too.

I don't know about all that, but your avatar is riveting...
  • Why thank you.
    7/27/1992: Lollapalooza, St. Louis; 7/11/1995: Soldier Field, Chicago
    7/2/1998: Riverport, St. Louis; 7/3/1998: Sandstone, KC; 10/9/2000: Rosemont Horizon, Chicago; 10/12/2000 Sandstone, KC; 6/12/2003: Sanstone, KC; 6/13/2003 MAC Center, Omaha
  • No WayNo Way Posts: 39
    doompony wrote:
    Actually on faithfull, I don't believe that it says "furry thing". I think that Eddie just drags out the word everything. As in "ev-err-y thing.

That's what I hear, though I intially also thought it was furry

it says furry thing in the yield lyrics. i hope it's furry thing because that's one of my favourite lyrics.

I believe this is a reference to the book "Ishmael" by Daniel Quinn, which some of the band members were reading and influenced by at the time they were writing/recording Yield.

That Eddie is so clever . . .
    I just need someone to be there for . . . me
    I just want someone to be there for . . .
  • Red_DotRed_Dot Posts: 1,454
    "Young girl . . . . violins" instead of violence. I think that's referenced in the lyric sheet too.

I thought he said violins in Daughter too!

I also thought Jeremy was 'Jeremy's spoken class today"
    Take me for a ride before we leave...
  • I thought in I Got ID it was "I won't deny..." instead of what it really is "I walk the line..."
  • I think violins/violence is a deliberate double entendre/homonym.
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    For the longest time I thought these were the true lyrics to Jeremy:

King jeremy, we kids...ruled his world.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • RuebRueb Posts: 63
    Plankton wrote:

Hmph.

Ha! I thought I was the only one. "But I'mmmmm plaaaaying guitar!" The first few times I heard the song I was sure these were the lyrics.
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,830
    edited May 2010
    I assume this has been posted, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLd22ha_-VU

And I see the reference on the 2nd page, but the link is above.

As for the violence/violins thing, I've heard that she SHOULD be playing/practicing violins, but she is so affected by violence that she can't do the violins.
    Post edited by Lost In Ohio on
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,830
    doompony wrote:

fact.

Pulling ENTIRELY from memory before 9 AM when I was up until almost 4 AM last night:

I've used...hammers made out of wood, I have figured out numbers and what they're for...
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,239
    wow! i had no idea that was going on, but then again i've been tainted by years and years of live shows with modified lyrics.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • BronyBrony Posts: 631
    MrSmith wrote:
    i just found out in In mY Tree he says "got back my inner sense..." instead of "got back my innocence". i like that.

i think the COrduroy thing is more clear on RVM than Vitalogy, or maybe im thinking of another song.
    INNER SENSE?? WHAT!