put down your cell phones/cameras and

Comments

• AtlantaJammerAtlantaJammer Posts: 2,611
    pandora wrote:
    I'm in my own little world at a PJ concert. A bomb could go off and I probably wouldn't know it. The time goes by way to fast and I want so to remember it all that I can't care about the people around me. Its me and PJ and I agree, thank you to the people who post on youtube, those who are sharing, I'm loving it.

I completely agree, I dont notice shit.
  • in eds treein eds tree Posts: 539
    pandora wrote:
    I'm in my own little world at a PJ concert. A bomb could go off and I probably wouldn't know it. The time goes by way to fast and I want so to remember it all that I can't care about the people around me. Its me and PJ and I agree, thank you to the people who post on youtube, those who are sharing, I'm loving it.

I completely agree, I dont notice shit.

this
    keep on rockin' in the free world.
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    Davidtrios wrote:
    unless the camera is in your face for the entire show or the drunk person is peeing on your leg, people need to chill out and not worry so much about how other people are choosing to enjoy their shows. :roll:

i think a drunken asshole is just as distracting as a texting/photo taking/vid making prick.

look at driving- would you rather drive drunk or text? it's more dangerous to text/surf the net/take pics/make videos than driving drunk.

i'm not saying, i'm just saying.

comparing a drunk driver/texting driver to a fan taking pictures at a concert? c'mon buddy. :?

okay, it's a stretch but you get my drift.
  • Black73Black73 Posts: 1,018
    Not living in the moment is far more dangerous...so enjoy the face-melting behind-the-back solo that Mike's dropping. Take a quick pic of it if you feel so inclined. Video that bad mo' fo' if you need to...just PLEASE don't hold it up over your head so it blocks my rockin' the fack out experience.

Cool?
  • joe2468joe2468 Posts: 3,049
    im bringing my ZOOM Q3 HD RECORDER to the shows in may ..... record a few songs ..... these things WHERE MADE FOR CONCERTS ... the audio is outstanding ... let alone the video ...
    have you seen the colors of my fathers eyes
  • i wouldnt do it, but im glad some peope do!
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,272
    its a rock concert, and any rules are made to be broken. oops
  • I prefer to rock out, but I am definitely grateful for those that record for fellow fan enjoyment. So far, I haven't had my view obstructed, so I don't have a problem. On the other hand, if it did obstruct my view.... :evil:
  • KravenKraven Posts: 829
    I took my phone out in Philly to call my friend whose favorite song is Footsteps, and he stayed on the line for the whole reverse mamasan trilogy. Kept my phone at my side, and let him into the doors of the Spectrum even though he was all the way in Florida.
    32 shows and counting...
  • Aero83_Aero83_ Posts: 933
    very cool...
    but for me taking pictures at a show diminishes the experience especially after staring at a two dimensional monitor for most of the week...besides, I would much prefer to manipulate somebody into taking the digital pictures for me, so I can remember at a later time.
    ...10/31/09, 05/21/10, Peru, Los Angeles
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,481
    I always take my camera to shows and yes I do like to take videos and photos - without my camera I wouldn't have got my avatar pic of Mike rocking the YL outro in London last year.

However, I never hold the camera over my head and I would never want to obscure anybody else's view - hey we're all there for the same reason after all. I'm only about 5'10" so there's usually a lot of people taller than me at shows but if there's someone shorter behind me then most of the time I'll swap places with them. Plenty of my videos either have people's shoulders appearing in them or are jumpy because I'm down the front and still rocking out, it is possible to do both!

I know opinion is divided on here about Youtube. Personally I like it and I love finding new videos on there. I wouldn't have got a chance to see the solo songs the guys played at Toronto or any of the Philly rarities if it wasn't for people posting their videos online. I put most of my videos up on there because I think it's fair to share them with people. I don't expect any thanks or praise or anything like that - I'm not one of those guys that freaks out at a negative comment on their videos - but if people like watching them then that's great.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • let me just say if you're gonna put it on youtube, make sure its a good one with high quality sound. no one wants to see your vid from the back row with loud static in place of music.

i hate digging through the crap to get to the good ones. :)
  • rock the fuck out!

just wannta throw that out there. :mrgreen:

runs away and hides

I'm with you. Of course, my cell phone doesn't have a camera or video capabilities. But it's so dumb to see all these people holding glowing electronics over their head... unless it's some first-time-played song, then go for it. :)
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • LucanLucan Posts: 104
    Am in the anti-camera camp.

The more people are recording, the less they are rockin' out, which results in a poorer overall atmosphere at a show.
    A crowd can make or break a gig. I'd prefer to see everyone adding to the making rather than breaking.
    ;)
  • bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
    If i see them many times per tour, I'll go to one or two shows without a camera. The other shows I'll take a shot one or two times per song. I'll even record a whole song.
    11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Kraven wrote:
    I took my phone out in Philly to call my friend whose favorite song is Footsteps, and he stayed on the line for the whole reverse mamasan trilogy. Kept my phone at my side, and let him into the doors of the Spectrum even though he was all the way in Florida.
    That was nice of you, my husband is thoughtful too. He has called our business and recorded a song or two on the message machine to play over the loud speaker for our employees and customer fans.
  • Yet another one who is getting high on the air ...
    Gob wrote:
    I agree. I've never taken a camera to a show. I wouldn't even think of taking my cell phone out of my pocket. It's all about the experience in the memory. I'd rather have the memory in my brain than have a memory of taking pictures so I could be remided by a digital image later. Life is about experiences.
  • DangDangDangDang Posts: 1,551
    Kraven wrote:
    I. Kept my phone at my side, and let him into the doors of the Spectrum even though he was all the way in Florida.

This is cool. Maybe you should have had another camera to take a picutre of the phone so that you would also be able to present to your Florida friend a picture of him "entering" the Spectrum. Maybe next time, eh? (I'm not being sarcastic. I have more than one picture of a telephone receiver with someone special holding the other line.)
  • DangDangDangDang Posts: 1,551
    Love to jam 99.994% of the time.

But I'm always super grateful to myself for capturing that 19-second tidbit video to have and to hold from that day forward...

A picture kept.......yeah, yeah, yeah.
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
    ..........and now.....lets take a pause for a mellow jam..............

lighter-phone.jpg
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Yeah, this was something I never understood that much.

I took a bunch of pictures when I was in the front row and I'll take a few here and there at other PJ shows, but I don't get when people just take videos the whole time they're there.

Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate watching them after the fact on YouTube, but when I'm there, I try not to miss a moment of the show!
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,176
    And put down the flags too. Lighters though is A-OK
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • nevmilesnevmiles Posts: 1,363
    pandora wrote:
    I don't do the record thing with phone or camera but I am very appreciative of those that do because I have so enjoyed all the memories and those times I couldn't be there in concert on youtube. Its a beautiful thing.

+1

I leave it up to everyone else and just enjoy the show while I'm there - then look up vids on YT later!
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
  • CosmoCramerCosmoCramer Posts: 571
    If your going to Noblesville, listen for the whistle.
    Indy 2000
    St. Louis 2000
    Champaign 2003
    Indy 2003
    St. Louis 2004
    Cincinnati 2006
    Indy 2010
    Hampton 2016
    Lexington 2016
    EV Bourbon and Beyond 2017
    Chicago N1 2018
    Chicago N2 2018
    Nashville 2022
    St Louis 2022
    Oklahoma City 2022
    Denver 2022
    Chicago N1 2023
    Chicago N2 2023
  • Thanks for posting this thread. I think the heart of the matter is, 1. All things in moderation and 2. Be considerate of others.

Standing row 8 of the last United Center show was a bit of a nightmare, as I was right behind a guy holding a camera over his head for about half of the set.

And, really, if you think about it, just because you take a picture, doesn't mean it will last longer than the moment. Om.

Peace.
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,391
    Standing row 8 of the last United Center show was a bit of a nightmare, as I was right behind a guy holding a camera over his head for about half of the set.

That sucks! I would of asked the guy behind me to throw a shirt or something so the camera get's of his hands as it smashes against the floor. It's rude if you're doing it through half of the set. Maybe a song or 2, a few shot's in between a song etc .. But more the half of the show you're seeing his arms in the air holding a camera while your right behind him & you can't see shit, that's what I would of done. But firstly though, I would ask him to politely stop doing it cause it was bothering me. If he doesn't listen, I would get security. The asking friend from behind to throw something @ his camera so it breaks would of been my third attempt. :lol:
  • DivkaDivka Posts: 200
    Thanks for posting this thread. I think the heart of the matter is, 1. All things in moderation and 2. Be considerate of others.

I do like to take a few pictures, it's hard to resist when Mike's standing right over you with his guitar over his head, killing it. I do my best to be fast, and not hold it in front of anyone else. Besides, I'm 5' tall, so I don't think I get in many people's ways, lol.

As far as recording songs, I know I'm getting the bootleg anyway, so why bother? It sounds better on a professionally recorded CD vs. on a camera picking up all the people around me singing anyway.
    When the stars exploded billions of years ago, they formed everything that is this world. Everything we know is stardust...
  • I'm going to try something new this tour. Instead of getting annoyed when people in front of me block my view for more than a reasonable amount of time...

I'm going to tickle them! A few inches under their pits... really hard....and wiggly, too.
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,391
    I'm going to try something new this tour. Instead of getting annoyed when people in front of me block my view for more than a reasonable amount of time...

I'm going to tickle them! A few inches under their pits... really hard....and wiggly, too.

Try that on a psycho fan. He/she might pop you one. A relaxed & cool Pearl Jam fan wouldn't mind @ all. I would ask for a full blown message in the mix! :lol:
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
    Thanks for posting this thread.

thanks for saying thanks. :lol:
    somebody had to say it.........i knew people had opinions on it....it was just ME to bring it up this time.

I'm going to try something new this tour. Instead of getting annoyed when people in front of me block my view for more than a reasonable amount of time...

now there's an interesting idea! :mrgreen:
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*