I'm worried Matt might leave PJ.

13»

Comments

• i told my friend about soundgarden coming back, and he doesnt really know pj. but thought for sure 100 percent that matt cameron after soundgarden drummed for the offspring for a little bit, maybe just on an album he said, or a tour he wasnt sure, is this true? if so i didnt know this
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    i told my friend about soundgarden coming back, and he doesnt really know pj. but thought for sure 100 percent that matt cameron after soundgarden drummed for the offspring for a little bit, maybe just on an album he said, or a tour he wasnt sure, is this true? if so i didnt know this

Maybe this?

"In December 1997, recording began at Sound City in Van Nuys, California, with ex-Soundgarden drummer Matt Cameron,[22] while Beck drummer Joey Waronker was called in to contribute drum tracks.[23] Rick Rubin was brought in to produce the song "Let Me Give the World to You", but it remains unreleased; it was rerecorded for Machina II/The Friends & Enemies of Modern Music.[24] Of those, only 16 made the final cut. Sessions were wrapped up early in 1998. By post production, thirty songs were being considered for inclusion on the album.[24]
    [edit]Music"

"The original version of "Pug", which featured drums by Matt Cameron, was described by Iha as "a minor key blues death march". The final version uses a drum machine."

Only one that was on the record was For Martha.
  • azwyldcatsazwyldcats Posts: 703
    By Charles R. Cross
    Apr 17, 2010 7:52 PM EDT

It may have been their first time on stage together in a dozen years, but Soundgarden's reunion show on Friday dug deep into their catalog, back to their earliest, pre-grunge days. 'This is our first show in 14 years, so it's a lot of old songs,' Chris Cornell said at Seattle's Showbox. 'But it's not just songs that we stopped playing in 1998 - it's songs we stopped playing in 1990.'

True to their word, half of the 18-song set dated from 1989 or before, including 'Hunted Down,' their debut Sub Pop single. On 'Flower' and 'Beyond the Wheel,' both from 1988, you could see drummer Matt Cameron and bassist Ben Shepherd watching their cues. If the band did seem a bit rusty on opener 'Spoonman,' it also made the night exciting: There was a sense of spontaneity that suggested anything could happen.

At several points Cornell explained that the evening, where the band played under the secret anagram 'Nudedragons,' was a 'rehearsal' for their Lollapalooza dates later this year. He threatened that if they 'screwed something up,' they would play it again. No repeats were necessary, however, and the Seattle faithful, including Eddie Vedder, sang along to every tune.

Cornell was barely out of high school when Soundgarden first formed, and at 45, he looks surprisingly boyish. Whether he was holding a mike stand over the crowd, or head banging his long hair, he appeared more comfortable onstage with Soundgarden than he has during any of his recent solo tours. His voice remains as youthful as ever, and whether intoning a deep growl on 'Fell on Black Days,' or hitting the falsetto on 'Outshined,' he was spot on.

Guitarist Kim Thayil is the oldest member of Soundgarden, at 49, and the member who had most retreated during the band's hiatus. He said nothing onstage, but his time off only emphasized his guitar god status, as he hit every solo with aplomb. He only looked tentative on a cover of the Doors 'Waiting for Sun,' which ended the evening.

Cornell was the only band member to speak to the crowd, except for when drummer Cameron introduced Cornell. In introducing his bandmates, Cornell simply said, 'here's Matt, here's Ben, and here's Kim.' To Soundgarden's loyal Seattle fans, some of whom had followed the band from their beginnings in dive bars up the street in 1986, no further name check was needed.

Soundgarden broke up after a show in February 1997, when Shepherd threw his bass in the air before walking offstage. At the band's first show in over a decade years, Shepherd intentionally tossed his instrument again, and the band left the stage while his Fender bass was airborne. This time around it was clear to everyone - both in the crowd and in Soundgarden - that the gesture signaled a new beginning, and not an end.

Set List:

"Spoonman
    "Gun"
    "Searching With My Good Eye Closed"
    "Rusty Cage"
    "Beyond the Wheel"
    "Flower"
    "Ugly Truth"
    "Fell on Black Days"
    "Hunted Down"
    "Nothing to Say"
    "Loud Love"
    "Blow Up The Outside World"
    "Pretty Noose"
    "Outshined"
    "Slaves and Bulldozers"
    Encore:
    "Get On The Snake"
    "Big Dumb Sex"
    "Waiting for the Sun" (Doors Cover)
    And I'm not living this life without you, I'm selfish and clear
    And you're not leaving here without me, I don't wanna be without
    My best... friend. Wake up, to see you could have it all
  • StrykerStryker Posts: 585
    Oh my god! Reading that review and set list gave me fucking goosebumps. I think I have to make a road trip out to Chicago for Lolla. My wife will be two weeks from giving birth to our second child at that point, so I don't know how that will go over. But fuck, this my be my only chance to see my co-favorite band live. Gah!
  • I agree SG wont last. Like Pumpkins and AIC, hype but then fade into the background. This isn't the age for their music.

Although, Dave Grohl is a drum whore. He could sit in again if needed maybe.

"If someone came in and said 'I'm taking a year off'.. wha.. what would we do?"
    George, US (September 01, 2005)
    Toronto, CA (September 19, 2005)
    Quebec City, CA (September 20, 2005)
    Halifax, CA (September 22, 2005)
    St. Johns, CA (September 24, 2005)
    St. Johns, CA (September 25, 2005)
    Washington,US (May 30, 2006)
    E. Rutherford, US (June 01, 2006)
    E. Rutherford, US (June 03, 2006)
    George, US (July 22, 2006)
    George, US (July 23, 2006)
    Dublin, IR (August 23, 2006)
    Reading, UK (August 27, 2006)
    Sydney, AU (November 07, 2006)
    Sydney, AU (November 08, 2006)
    Melbourne, AU (November 13, 2006)
    Melbourne, AU (November 14, 2006)
    Melbourne, AU (November 16, 2006)
    Sydney, AU (November 18, 2006)
    Newcastle, AU (November 19, 2006)
    Adelaide, AU (November 21, 2006)
    Adelaide, AU (November 22, 2006)
    Perth, AU (November 25, 2006)
    London, UK (August 18, 2009)
    Perth, Australia (November 14, 2009) 
    Adelaide, AU (November 17, 2009)
    Melbourne, AU (November 20, 2009)
    Sydney, AU (November 22, 2009)
    Brisbane, AU (November 25, 2009)
    Auckland, NZ (November 27, 2009)
    Christchurch, NZ (November 29, 2009)
    Los Angeles, US (November 23, 2013)
    Los Angeles, US (November 24, 2013)
    Adelaide, AU (January 31, 2014)
    Seattle, WA (August 8, 2018)
    Seattle, WA (August 10, 2018)
    Missoula, MT (August 13 2018)
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,409
    Matt's not going anywhere's. This is like a Wellwater Conspiracy thing. They will make a new record (maybe), do a little tour. Yada yada yada! When Pearl Jam is on break, Matt can jam wherever he wants. You can stop a man's love of music. He can play music wherever he wants. Ed did solo in '08 2 times & solo in '09. Stone did his own thing. Mike does alot of solo stuff & show's. Jeff too. Why not Matt? Is it a crime? Why should the other member's do side projects while he's at home reading the daily new's? Let the man kick out the jams.

His full time gig will forever be behind the drums of Pearl Jam. Case closed!
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    demetrios wrote:
    Matt's not going anywhere's. This is like a Wellwater Conspiracy thing. They will make a new record (maybe), do a little tour. Yada yada yada! When Pearl Jam is on break, Matt can jam wherever he wants. You can stop a man's love of music. He can play music wherever he wants. Ed did solo in '08 2 times & solo in '09. Stone did his own thing. Mike does alot of solo stuff & show's. Jeff too. Why not Matt? Is it a crime? Why should the other member's do side projects while he's at home reading the daily new's? Let the man kick out the jams.

Exactly
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,927
    If Matt were to leave Pearl Jam, I highly doubt that you would notice. With a few exceptions, drummers are easily interchangeable without skipping a beat. I actually wouldn't mind hearing someone else back there with a different sound.

And I am highly amused by the people who are telling us what Matt has to be thinking or trying to insist on what the right thing to do is. :lol:
  • edited April 2010
    i dont know how people think Soundgarden is only gonna last a tour or so. wishful thinking i guess. given PJ's light touring lately, i'd think they are closer to taking a break than Soundgarden. Soundgarden is a lot more than just a side project.
    Post edited by LikeAnOpeningBandForTheSun on
  • edited April 2010
    dp
    Post edited by LikeAnOpeningBandForTheSun on
  • OceanStoneOceanStone Posts: 333
    demetrios wrote:

I like your Case Closed ! ;)
    Soundgarden is a bit more than a side project D.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    It wouldn't be the same without Matt. I was enjoying Traveling Band 2000 late Friday evening, thinking 10 years had passed. 10 together,10 again. The music to that point, then, we didn't know what was coming for us fans. We loved what we had but had no idea how much we would love what would come. So much good music made since. So much more to come hopefully. It wouldn't be the same without Matt. I really hope the band stays together one and all.
  • punkmattpunkmatt Posts: 122
    Don't worry I'm not going anywhere :)
  • CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    If Matt were to leave Pearl Jam, I highly doubt that you would notice. With a few exceptions, drummers are easily interchangeable without skipping a beat. I actually wouldn't mind hearing someone else back there with a different sound.

And I am highly amused by the people who are telling us what Matt has to be thinking or trying to insist on what the right thing to do is. :lol:

Hey Cosby! If it's me you're takling about I was merely relating to my own life experiences. I don't know a damn thing about the inner workings of the Pearl Jam...and I don't pretend to. All I know is that it's human nature to think you can just go back to an old relationship temporarily to either help them or just for old times sake...but sometimes it doesn't work out that way.

It's easy to get trapped or sucked back in. I really enjoy the place where the band is right now and it would be a bummer to see Matt go. BTW...if you were not referring to me...disregard what I wrote. Oh...and it would make a difference if Matt left IMO.
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
    [quote="hopethatuchoke"}

Hey Cosby! If it's me you're takling about I was merely relating to my own life experiences. I don't know a damn thing about the inner workings of the Pearl Jam...and I don't pretend to. All I know is that it's human nature to think you can just go back to an old relationship temporarily to either help them or just for old times sake...but sometimes it doesn't work out that way.

It's easy to get trapped or sucked back in. I really enjoy the place where the band is right now and it would be a bummer to see Matt go. BTW...if you were not referring to me...disregard what I wrote. Oh...and it would make a difference if Matt left IMO.

No worries man, wasn't talking about you directly and I didn't say it in a bad way. I just think it's funny people think they know the answers when we have no idea. It's probably more hopeful thinking than claiming to know answers I suppose.

I think it might make a difference at first but eventually, you wouldn't know. I'm sure people felt the same way after Dave and Jack left. I highly doubt he is leaving though so it will probably end up being a moot point. But what the hell do I know.
  • if i had to guess i'd say he would stay, but who knows. it certainly wouldnt shock me if he left, at least for awhile. i'm actually a lot more worried about the whole band taking an extended hiatus.
  • SkeeterBSkeeterB Posts: 423
    demetrios wrote:

I really hope that the people who think he's going to leave aren't serious. If so, have you looked at how Pearl Jam has operated in the past 7 years. They tour every year, but it's not for very long (about 4 weeks on the road once to three times a year). They produce an album once every 3 years. This thread is pretty inane and I guess I'm a hypocrite for adding to it!
    Fighting childhood obesity...
    www.amazingathletes.com/northchi
    Brisk. wrote:
    Soundgarden is a bit more than a side project D.

Seeing that Matt hasn't left Pearl Jam, Soundgarden right now is a side project. Like Stone is with Brad, Mike is with Shadow & Flight To Mars, Jeff is with Deranged Addiction and Ed & his solo jams. Matt also has his Wellwater Conspiracy jam, plus has contributed to many solo stuff outside the Pearl Jam & Pearl Jam releated universe . (AKA drummed on the hit Spiderman 2 song featuring Nickelback on vocals). He has a tour this May with Pearl Jam & has a tour this June/July in Europe with Pearl Jam.

FYI, many people know the answers. Friendship talks!
  • CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079

No worries man, wasn't talking about you directly and I didn't say it in a bad way. I just think it's funny people think they know the answers when we have no idea. It's probably more hopeful thinking than claiming to know answers I suppose.

I think it might make a difference at first but eventually, you wouldn't know. I'm sure people felt the same way after Dave and Jack left. I highly doubt he is leaving though so it will probably end up being a moot point. But what the hell do I know.

Yeah...you're probably right. They just seem so proud to have him as their drummer...I would love for them to be this lineup for the next 20 years or so. Hey man...I went on a 24 hour last minute trip to see Philly 4 and it was the greatest impromptu move I've ever done. I would like to back and see another show there someday.
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
    SkeeterB wrote:
    demetrios wrote:

I really hope that the people who think he's going to leave aren't serious. If so, have you looked at how Pearl Jam has operated in the past 7 years. They tour every year, but it's not for very long (about 4 weeks on the road once to three times a year). They produce an album once every 3 years. This thread is pretty inane and I guess I'm a hypocrite for adding to it!

Exactly! I can't see Matt leaving Pearl Jam. I just can't. I can though see him play drums with Soundgarden a few month's here & there. Pearl Jam are not together 24/7, 7 day's a week side by side. They are all talented musicians. They have been doing side projects, running their own charities, have many friends in the music/entertainment business and are still doing compilations with many artists. Why I love this band. They are all talented artists. When they come together @ that Pearl Jam table, they all contribute their minds & experiences & rock shit up! Another reason why this band is still together for so long.
  • AppleseedAppleseed Posts: 19
    Brisk. wrote:
    Brisk. wrote:
    I'M NOT - SOUNDGARDEN RULES!!

True...although PJ rules more IMO. I love both bands...but... Pearl Jam is the more relevant/important and active band these days. Plus...it would be a damn shame.

They are both on the same level.

For Matt to leave PJ is a MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH less defisit than him not joining SG.

How can you say more active/relevant? Soundgarden havent been around for 13 years so of course they bloody are!! Plus if PJ broke up tomorrow i dont think it would send earthquakes around the world..

When was the last album SG put out? Relevant my ass! Not even close to PJ album sales ever!
    Don't mean to push, but I'm being shoved!
    Appleseed wrote:
    Brisk. wrote:
    True...although PJ rules more IMO. I love both bands...but... Pearl Jam is the more relevant/important and active band these days. Plus...it would be a damn shame.

They are both on the same level.

For Matt to leave PJ is a MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH less defisit than him not joining SG.

How can you say more active/relevant? Soundgarden havent been around for 13 years so of course they bloody are!! Plus if PJ broke up tomorrow i dont think it would send earthquakes around the world..

When was the last album SG put out? Relevant my ass! Not even close to PJ album sales ever!

Whoa! I'm surprised Brisk you would say that. If Pearl Jam did break up tomorrow, it would for sure send earthquakes around the music world. They are by far one of the biggest live rock n roll acts on this planet, hands down. When Soundgarden disbanded back in '97 it didn't even hit a 1.0 on the earthquake richter scale. Many knew the band had problems. Ben wrote alot of the music on Down on the Upside & there were reviews in many mag's back in '96 about it that Chris was pretty much jealous of it. Other reports said they didn't even look eye to eye Ben & Chris for a while. That's what I know & read before I even had internet access. It was through Spin, Rolling Stones & Hit Paradar.
  • corduroykellycorduroykelly Posts: 668
    edited April 2010
    So what if he does leave, pearl jam made their best records without him.
    Post edited by corduroykelly on
    Appleseed wrote:

Don't think album sales defines relevancy entirely.
    demetrios wrote:

Whoa! I'm surprised Brisk you would say that. If Pearl Jam did break up tomorrow, it would for sure send earthquakes around the music world. They are by far one of the biggest live rock n roll acts on this planet, hands down. When Soundgarden disbanded back in '97 it didn't even hit a 1.0 on the earthquake richter scale. Many knew the band had problems. Ben wrote alot of the music on Down on the Upside & there were reviews in many mag's back in '96 about it that Chris was pretty much jealous of it. Other reports said they didn't even look eye to eye Ben & Chris for a while. That's what I know & read before I even had internet access. It was through Spin, Rolling Stones & Hit Paradar.

Maybe we live in different worlds, here no one knows any of the music from the 'grunge' or even alternative 90s decade so for me if PJ were gone then it wouldn't effect anything except me. Yeah they are a big band and were successful but i feel overall the world doesn't really know them that well except for maybe in USA?

Ben wrote 6/16 tracks on the album and including one of those was lyrics.
  • AlltheWay23AlltheWay23 Posts: 159
    Warren Haynes plays in The Allman Brothers Band, Government Mule, and The Dead. These bands have much more aggressive touring schedules than Pearl Jam. There's no reason that Matt can't play in both bands.
  • krobbinzkrobbinz Posts: 187
    With everyone with their own side projects why can't matt have soundgarden?
    East Troy 10/08/00 St. Paul 06/16/03 Chicago 5/17/06 St. Paul 6/26/06 St. Paul 6/27/06 Lollapalooza '07 Bonnaroo '08
    Chicago 8/23/09 Chicago 8/24/09 PJ 20 9/3/11 PJ 20 9/4/11 Milwaukee 10/20/14 Chicago 8/20/16 Chicago 8/22/16 Chicago 8/18/18 Chicago 8/20/18
    demetrios wrote:

I hate to disagree with you but I really don't think their breakup would affect the music scene that much. The world doesn't nearly care as much about Pearl Jam as we do.