Life Wasted is better than anything off Backspacer

Comments

• GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    all im gonna say is that I love Life Wasted!

Pretty original!!
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • I dont LOVE life wasted, but I think Gonna See My Friend is just as "rocking" and hard as life wasted. Avocado= nothing special as an album.
    "The world is dangerous, feel safe here tonight..." EV 9/17/06

38+6 shows at the age of 27 and counting...but still no Undone

My podcast: Hotel Manager Talk- Dedicated to Hotel Employees, tell your friends. http://www.HotelManagerTalk.com
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,935
    klusterfuk wrote:
    Big Wave is mighty good too

Big Wave is god awful btw.

god awful, yes.

Really, the majority of Pearl Jam's catalog is better than anything off Backspacer.

then again, Backspacer kicks Big Wave's ass. :shifty:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    pkh43 wrote:
    broloco wrote:
    exept unthought known .then im with u..

yes! that was the technicality for me. I couldn't honestly say that life wasted is better than that song.

God.....Why do people love unthoughtknown? the song is awful and extremely overrated.....
    cos is amazing song with great powerfull lyrics,,all contest in the forum put it in Number 1 song of backspacer+ the same happen with the ones saw that live..even tv series put it in thei episodes..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • [Rude post removed by Admin.]
  • it must be strange living in your world where Big Wave and Evacuation are great and Life Wasted is boring. where down is up and east is west and cows bark and blue is red. i really need to visit your strange land! :)
  • I love it here in the ditch. It's a rougher ride but the music is more interesting.
  • JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    robcascie wrote:
    johnny guiotar is sooooo much better than life wasted
    :lol::lol::lol: ...that was a good one..

Seriously.. Not only JG is better than Life Wasted (that is just a decent song, the riff is very generic and "already heard"), but here I say it and here I confirm it: Johnny Guitar is one of the most original and kick ass songs of the past decade of Pearl Jam.. The rest of Backspacer is very good, but not as brilliant as this song..
    About self-titled, it's the weakest PJ album ever, but still good compared to most of the shitty music that is around today..
  • StoneAmentStoneAment Posts: 393
    Backspacer is a below par Pearl Jam album, Avocado is a good Pearl Jam album and Life wasted is a great track and kicks off the album in style.

Unknownthought is a highlight of backspacer. One of the few songs I find myslef wanting to listen to on the album.
    Mike McCready makes the energizer bunny look tired.
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    Life wasted really grew on me... backspacer not so much yet...
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    edited April 2010
    Gonna See My Friend is better I think, but Life Wasted is still awesome. See My Friend just kicks more ass.

I'm a Backspacer whore. The whole album kicks my ass.
    Post edited by LikeAnOcean on
    robcascie wrote:
    robcascie wrote:
    johnny guiotar is sooooo much better than life wasted
    :lol::lol::lol: ...that was a good one..

Seriously.. Not only JG is better than Life Wasted (that is just a decent song, the riff is very generic and "already heard"), but here I say it and here I confirm it: Johnny Guitar is one of the most original and kick ass songs of the past decade of Pearl Jam.. The rest of Backspacer is very good, but not as brilliant as this song..
    About self-titled, it's the weakest PJ album ever, but still good compared to most of the shitty music that is around today..
    ok,if u want to talk seriously..lets start...compare those 2 songs....1st lyrics??2nd rythm?Mike solo?intro?ed voice????
    most original and kick ass songs of the past decade of Pearl Jam???what is that???u want original songs of past decade?illl give u a help...Ghost-Gods dice-Save u-1/2 full-life wasted -World Wide Suicide-marker in the sand-gonna see my friend - im mine-.unthought known-Amongst The Waves-Love Boat Captain-Breakerfall-light years...NAIS!!!!.etc..johhny guitar is a good song..and im being polite to the song already saying that...
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • inlet13inlet13 Posts: 1,979
    Life Wasted is as cheesy and generic as The Fixer. I'd give the edge in music to the Fixer and the edge in lyrics to Life Wasted (verses are fantastic)... although the chorus is almost as bad as "fight to get it back again...yeah, yeah, yeah".

I'd say the following songs are better than Life Wasted...

Got Some
    The Fixer
    Johnny Guitar
    Just Breathe
    Amongst the Waves
    Unthought Known
    Force of Nature
    The End

so, in answer to your original post... no, most of backspacer is better than Life Wasted. In fact, there's proof that the public agrees... every single released so far is better than life wasted in sales. The public is also showing that Backspacer is the best album the bands released in atleast a decade.
    Here's a new demo called "in the fire":

<object height="81" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt; <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href=" - In the Fire (demo)</a> by <a href="
    the fixer better than Life wasted?ok..i give up,im out :roll:
  • I strongly disagree. I actually think "World Wide Suicide" is the best track from "Pearl Jam." But thanks for the post.
    inlet13 wrote:
    The public is also showing that Backspacer is the best album the bands released in atleast a decade.

Is this the same public that thought Pearl Jam lost it on No Code, becasue that public doesn't know what it's talking about
  • satanrules616satanrules616 Posts: 122
    edited April 2010
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    thats what i was thinking when i was blasting Life Wasted in my car before....the last chorus and guitar solo made me want to drive fast!!!

its got it all - great lyrics, catchy chorus, killer Mike solo, great Stone riff, great drumming.....uh, sorry Jeff, i guess the bass line is cool too

i like Backspacer, but it could use a Life Wasted caliber song to kick it up a notch or two

let name calling and character assassination begin...

Too bad for you that they did not make the same song (and, perhaps, the same album) twice in a row. I won't engage in pointless name calling or character assassination (I would need to be able to judge your character to do the latter and reading your post is no way to judge your character), so allow me to analyse the folly of your statement. Your comparison of your perception of how you feel towards two songs is incommensurate. It essentially mis-employs reductionist principles to evaluate what is, philosophically and epistemologically not intended for any element-by-element assessment. Comparisons, even those of a perceptual kind, need to be held up to some measurable standards; in this case, we have no indication of what those standards are. Peace ...
    Post edited by satanrules616 on
  • StoneAment wrote:
    inlet13 wrote:
    The public is also showing that Backspacer is the best album the bands released in atleast a decade.

Is this the same public that thought Pearl Jam lost it on No Code, becasue that public doesn't know what it's talking about
    yeah i dont give a rat's ass what the public thinks. they've proven they dont know shit.

btw, i love Life Wasted but think Severed Hand or maybe Comatose should have been the opener. Life Wasted isnt the best opener. awesome song though.
  • Unemployable is better than anything off Backspacer..........
    2006: Albany
    2008: MSG I, MSG II, Newark(EV)
    2009: Albany 1-2(EV), Philly 3
    2010: Boston, MSG I
    2013: Buffalo, Brooklyn II, Hartford
    2016: MSG 1, MSG II, Fenway 1
    Unemployable is better than anything off Backspacer..........
    Agreed, that song is underrated and underplayed.
    StoneAment wrote:
    inlet13 wrote:

No, it's the same public that ranks PJ albums as follows in terms of popularity:

1. Ten
    2. Verses
    3. Vitalogy
    4. Yield
    ***(Backspacer?, obviously this is projection... I think right now it's actually outpacing Yield)
    5. No Code
    6. Pearl Jam
    7. Binaural
    8. Riot Act

Alot of people would agree or atleast semi-agree with these rankings.

***The public liked Ten, Verses and Vitalogy an awful lot... I hope you don't like any of those albums... cause if you did, then the public was...

...ummm, right.

<object height="81" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt; <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href=" - In the Fire (demo)</a> by <a href="
  • inlet13 wrote:
    StoneAment wrote:
    inlet13 wrote:

No, it's the same public that ranks PJ albums as follows in terms of popularity:

1. Ten
    2. Verses
    3. Vitalogy
    4. Yield
    ***(Backspacer?, obviously this is projection... I think right now it's actually outpacing Yield)
    5. No Code
    6. Pearl Jam
    7. Binaural
    8. Riot Act

***The public liked Ten, Verses and Vitalogy an awful lot... I hope you don't like any of those albums... cause if you did, then the public was...

...ummm, right.
    no most of us are smart enough to realize the public's favorite albums are completely irrelevent. my two favorite are No Code and Ten, one popular, and one not. i dont care. outside of Ten and MAYBE Vs or Vitalogy, most people couldnt even name a PJ song. except Last Kiss.
    MrSmith wrote:
    inlet13 wrote:
    StoneAment wrote:

1. Ten
    2. Verses
    3. Vitalogy
    4. Yield
    5. No Code
    6. Pearl Jam
    7. Binaural
    8. Riot Act

...ummm, right.
    no most of us are smart enough to realize the public's favorite albums are completely irrelevent. my two favorite are No Code and Ten, one popular, and one not. i dont care. outside of Ten and MAYBE Vs or Vitalogy, most people couldnt even name a PJ song. except Last Kiss.

Oh the "My take is more valuable cause I like an extremely popular band's semi-popular album best, rather than the most popular one(s)" approach. OK. I agree No Code was a fantastic album. No argument there. I just believe Backspacer is better. And I'm saying most people agree.

Also, whether you like it or not the public's favorites are relevant... thats just common sense. It's like arguing a small town fantastic politician is more "relevant" than Obama or Palin. Sure, you may not like either and this other guy or gal is great, but Obama and Palin are more "relevant" because they are more "known". In a sense, this is is the same reason PJ continues to play that cover song Last Kiss occassionally... unlike most Christmas singles. They do it cause people know it and liked it.

Life Wasted was released as a single... it had an opportunity to garner support. It's not like it was hidden. It was put out there, and it did not do well. That's just fact. Meanwhile, a song like the Fixer (which I don't like personally relative to other PJ songs) was also a single... and did well. I wonder which one will be played more in 5 years? I'd say the Fixer.

P.S. I'd argue that both Ten and No Code were popular. Ten was just very very popular. As much as some would like to pretend like they are, PJ is not an indie band. They are a very, very popular rock band.

• [Rude post removed by Admin.]

Don't you people have more important things to worry about than somebody saying "blow me"? So much for free speech. I didn't realize we were on the Creed board, where bad words make jesus cry.
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    life wasted is amazing but let's not get carried away.

backspacer, just like any other pj album, was a new and different step for them. i for one, love it. sure, it's not their BEST, but it's damn good. so was avocado.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,811
    life wasted is amazing but let's not get carried away.

backspacer, just like any other pj album, was a new and different step for them. i for one, love it. sure, it's not their BEST, but it's damn good. so was avocado.

+1 agree 100%. I prefer Backspacer over Avocado though :P
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • inlet13 wrote:

Oh the "My take is more valuable cause I like an extremely popular band's semi-popular album best, rather than the most popular one(s)" approach. OK. I agree No Code was a fantastic album. No argument there. I just believe Backspacer is better. And I'm saying most people agree.

Also, whether you like it or not the public's favorites are relevant... thats just common sense. It's like arguing a small town fantastic politician is more "relevant" than Obama or Palin. Sure, you may not like either and this other guy or gal is great, but Obama and Palin are more "relevant" because they are more "known". In a sense, this is is the same reason PJ continues to play that cover song Last Kiss occassionally... unlike most Christmas singles. They do it cause people know it and liked it.

Life Wasted was released as a single... it had an opportunity to garner support. It's not like it was hidden. It was put out there, and it did not do well. That's just fact. Meanwhile, a song like the Fixer (which I don't like personally relative to other PJ songs) was also a single... and did well. I wonder which one will be played more in 5 years? I'd say the Fixer.

P.S. I'd argue that both Ten and No Code were popular. Ten was just very very popular. As much as some would like to pretend like they are, PJ is not an indie band. They are a very, very popular rock band.

what the hell are you talking about? are you really gonna say that an album's salesis the best indicator of quality? what are you smoking? do you think the Backstreet Boys are the epitome of great music? i said i dont care about an album's popularity with "the public". that has nothing to do with my "approach" or saying my opinion is better than everyone else's. i dont give a rat's ass and wouldn't be stupid enough to claim that because an album sold more copies that its superior and every one who thinks otherwise is wrong.

like i said, most of us are smart enough to realize the public's favorite albums are completely irrelevent (TO FORMING OUR OPINION). sales shouldnt play into it.
  • hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,927
    [Rude post removed by Admin.]

Don't you people have more important things to worry about than somebody saying "blow me"? So much for free speech.

Well they don't have to worry about giving us news updates so they are probably bored and looking for something to do :D

I didn't realize we were on the Creed board, where bad words make jesus cry.

LOL

And can any conversations regarding opinions around here happen without name calling and animosity?? It's like a school recess yard around here with a bunch of 10 year olds. Grow up and stop fighting.
  • cajunkiwicajunkiwi Posts: 984
    And can any conversations regarding opinions around here happen without name calling and animosity?? It's like a school recess yard around here with a bunch of 10 year olds. Grow up and stop fighting.

Amen - it's amazing how many times someone posts something along the lines of "I like Song X better than Song Y" and the reaction is "Well, you're a complete moron."

While better/worse is subjective, there's no need to rip on people personally simply because they like/don't like a song/album.
    And I listen for the voice inside my head... nothing. I'll do this one myself.
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    I love Life Wasted but disagree.

Come to think about it though, it would fit right on Backspacer given its uplifting, positive theme.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13