Life Wasted is better than anything off Backspacer

StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
edited April 2010 in The Porch
thats what i was thinking when i was blasting Life Wasted in my car before....the last chorus and guitar solo made me want to drive fast!!!

its got it all - great lyrics, catchy chorus, killer Mike solo, great Stone riff, great drumming.....uh, sorry Jeff, i guess the bass line is cool too

i like Backspacer, but it could use a Life Wasted caliber song to kick it up a notch or two

let name calling and character assassination begin...
"I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    better.............not 100% sure...............

More balls............100% sure

Too bad it is such a hard song to sing live though.......
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    :lol:
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,935
    without giving this a lot of thought, I'll back you up on it! :mrgreen:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
    technically I'm not with you. but I gotta say that is one kick ass song :D love it when he laughs.
  • edited April 2010
    it really is. i didnt get it until recently, but its a fucking great rock song.

i would add Severed Hand and maybe COmatose to that list.

the 'rockers' on Backspacer are pretty limp in comparison.
    Post edited by LikeAnOpeningBandForTheSun on
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    exept unthought known .then im with u..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237

yes! that was the technicality for me. I couldn't honestly say that life wasted is better than that song.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I LOVE Life Wasted. It is one of my favorite songs, maybe top 3, but I also love Backspacer, so I don't like comparing. Avocado and Backspacer are my two favorites.
  • Save MeSave Me Posts: 147
    I love Avocado. It's one of my favorite albums of theirs. Life Wasted is definitely a great song and certainly harder than anything on Backspacer. Severed Hand as well. I really like Backspacer but it's certainly more stripped down musically than there other albums. The guitar parts specifically are more basic and less interesting to me.
    "The Wild is chasing after me. Hot on my trail won't leave me alone. All I can see is your blood right in front of me, and I can't kill The Wild." Me
  • jg1988jg1988 Posts: 181
    i bought the backspacer LP and noticed the sound quality is incredibly flat. anyone else notice this or is it just my record player? i dont have this problem with any other records i have. but i do agree with the assessment of life wasted...
  • klusterfukklusterfuk Posts: 1,411
    Big Wave is mighty good too
    The future's paved with better days

Alpine Valley Resort is etched in my brain!!!

• veddertownveddertown Posts: 5,260
    I'm not as impressed with the sound on Backspacer as I could be but it doesn't spoil my enjoyment of the album which to me is a pretty joyous 35 or so minutes. One thing missing though for me is a killer hard edged song. Every album from 1991-2006 has at least a Once, Go, Whipping, Habit, DTE, Grievance, Save You, Comatose etc. Which leads us to 2009? I love Backspacer but GSMF, Got Some, The Fixer, Johnny Guitar and Supersonic don't match the standards previously set. I'm so glad they still dig out the oldies because they haven't lost an ounce performance-wise for me live. I'd hate to think we'll never get another Blood/LIfe Wasted type of song again. PJ write such good heavy songs and should continue that for a bit yet.
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • people have apparently soured on Backspacer. i'll agree Life Wasted is kickass, but it's not even the best song from its own album.
  • DedvwDedvw Posts: 246
    I agree about LW kicking you in the balls (and maybe more than any song on Backspacer) but also think Backspacer wasn't designed to do that. It's a more mellow album all the way through. I think Backspacer may grow to be one of my favorite PJ albums, at least a few of my all time fav songs.

It's one reason I love this band, one punkish punch you in the face album followed up by a more mellow chilling at the beach CD.
  • Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    I don't know, Backspacer to me is more like a case of erectile dysfunction. It never picks up, and even if it tries to it falls miserably.
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    as the OP let me say that this thread was meant more as a compliment to Life Wasted than as an Insult to Backspacer....well, maybe

its that moment in Life Wasted when the singing of the last chorus ends and the solo starts, and Stone's chords start repeating over and over....and its just 4 chords, but its so friggin good!!! i could listen to that chord progression forever, too bad it fades out...i remember having an early leaked version of the song that lasted slightly longer, the fade out occured 30 seconds or so after the album version...hmm, where is that version??
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,272
    just beleive that perfect doesn't exist and you will be much happier
  • TMudrickTMudrick Posts: 267
    Hahahahahahahahaha........ No.
  • AtlantaJammerAtlantaJammer Posts: 2,611
    klusterfuk wrote:

Big Wave is god awful btw. Its funny how when first released most people thought BS was a top 3 album for PJ, some even thought higher. Id say, bottom 3 for sure. Still good but for PJ....
  • Life Wasted might be the most generic rocker they've ever written - does absolutely nothing for me.
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    klusterfuk wrote:

Big Wave is god awful btw. Its funny how when first released most people thought BS was a top 3 album for PJ, some even thought higher. Id say, bottom 3 for sure. Still good but for PJ....
    as i said to my friend recently when he asked how i like the latest PJ album:

"it's Pearl Jam's worst album, for sure...but it's still my 9th favorite album of all time (or 10th if you count Lost Dogs)"
  • TM248419 wrote:
    Hahahahahahahahaha........ No.
    :lol: This.
  • pkh43pkh43 Posts: 253
    broloco wrote:

yes! that was the technicality for me. I couldn't honestly say that life wasted is better than that song.

God.....Why do people love unthoughtknown? the song is awful and extremely overrated.....
  • Rossum20Rossum20 Posts: 910
    İ like severed hand, life wasted, and come back off avocado....the rest İ could care less about.

Avocado is my least favorite album.
  • arguing which of these albums is best is like arguing which STD is the best to catch.
  • SmellymanSmellyman Posts: 4,524
    Life Wasted might be the most generic rocker they've ever written - does absolutely nothing for me.

agreed. Never dug that song.
  • dannydanny Posts: 2,277
    no chance!
    danny d
  • JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    johnny guiotar is sooooo much better than life wasted
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    robcascie wrote:
    johnny guiotar is sooooo much better than life wasted
    :lol::lol::lol: ...that was a good one..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”