Has PJ given up on Backspacer? No 3rd single?

vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 897
edited April 2010 in The Porch
Backspacer drops to #142 on the Billboard 200 this week and Just Breathe drops to #94 on Billboard 100.

Will Pearl Jam give this album wings by releasing a third single? And actually start promoting it?

Backspacer is too good to give up on it now. I'm no music industry expert but with no songs on the radio, there is no chance this album continues to sell. I would release another double single and actually promote them: Amongst The Waves and Unthought Known. Just a crazy idea!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    They should have launched a massive tour to promote it too, but we all know how that went.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    Flagg wrote:
    They should have launched a massive tour to promote it too, but we all know how that went.
    :lol::lol::lol:
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    vedpunk wrote:
    Backspacer drops to #142 on the Billboard 200 this week and Just Breathe drops to #94 on Billboard 100.

Will Pearl Jam give this album wings by releasing a third single? And actually start promoting it?

Backspacer is too good to give up on it now. I'm no music industry expert but with no songs on the radio, there is no chance this album continues to sell. I would release another double single and actually promote them: Amongst The Waves and Unthought Known. Just a crazy idea!

Maybe thats why most bands continue to rely on record companies, they are really good ar promoting albums. Launching a tour also helps promote albums, not 12 shows at a time. It always makes me laugh :lol: when I here the band members say they don't like to be away from home, hell you haven't done an album since 2006 and since then you probably only perform at most 2-3 months a year, not a bad life, I'll take it. So when you release an album the fans aren't asking to much if you announce the full tour with enough notice that they might be in your area so you don't spend a lot of money on unnecessary road trips. Just my opinion.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,053
    i think the days of the single are dead in terms of the physical medium, so expect you mean dropping this off at the stations for radio play and TV play right?

i still see that happening for the us/euro dates.
  • hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,927
    I was thinking about how Dave Matthews does a NA tour almost every single summer (Blech) and almost every show sells out. For some reason, I don't think Pearl Jam could get away with doing that successfully. I just can't see them selling out shows all summer all over the country. I don't think we are ever going to see a proper tour ever again...which means higher and higher ticket prices if they don't do it often and don't really sell many albums.
  • PJ44PJ44 Posts: 153
    here's my take,

i think all except Jeff are now married(Ed'd engaged) and have young kids so it is harder to be away for 6-8 months at a time. 2nd, they have done the full blown tours and maybe they just dont have the desire to that anymore. 3rd all are involved in other projects, bands (Brad/Wellwater Conspiracy), etc.. so they have committments for that too. finally they def do not need the money. they were lucky enought to make it big when record companies were still a profit based business.

just some ideas i thought id share.
    PJ44
    PJ44 wrote:
    here's my take,

i think all except Jeff are now married(Ed'd engaged) and have young kids so it is harder to be away for 6-8 months at a time. 2nd, they have done the full blown tours and maybe they just dont have the desire to that anymore. 3rd all are involved in other projects, bands (Brad/Wellwater Conspiracy), etc.. so they have committments for that too. finally they def do not need the money. they were lucky enought to make it big when record companies were still a profit based business.

just some ideas i thought id share.

Hard to argue on those points. The point I'm trying to make is that when you do an album every 4 years your expect a decent tour, ie U2. The other point is when you decide you want to be a rock 'n' roll star, touring is part of the game.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

I was thinking about how Dave Matthews does a NA tour almost every single summer (Blech) and almost every show sells out. For some reason, I don't think Pearl Jam could get away with doing that successfully. I just can't see them selling out shows all summer all over the country. I don't think we are ever going to see a proper tour ever again...which means higher and higher ticket prices if they don't do it often and don't really sell many albums.

I'm sure their fan base is shrinking, but that is partly do to the fact they don't tour as much as other bands. I am going to see Rush this tome around and they announced the tour today right through October, my guess most shows will be 95% full or sold out.

• LukinzLukinz Posts: 386
    Isn't the whole notion of singles dead anyway? Unless you're like Lady GooGa or some other pop star?
    2003: Madison Square Garden 1
    2006: East Rutherford 1, East Rutherford 2
    2008: Madison Square Garden 2
    2010: Newark
    2013: Brooklyn 2 GA
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,586

the majority of DMB's attraction is the party....to me he's just a younger version of Jimmy Buffett....I don't see much talent there but that's my opinion
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    I was thinking the exact same thing recently. Great example: DMB almost every summer plays 2 shows in WPB, FL and pretty much every time sells out both shows. PJ hasn't done a 2 nighter in WPB since (I think) 2000 and I don't think they've sold out that venue in quite some time. I think touring for more than a month or two a year does help your fan base out a ton
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • maddog36maddog36 Posts: 10
    PJ has enough money that they can support themselves and their families for the rest of their lives. IMO, for them it is now about making an occasional album that their fans like, and getting their kicks playing energetic live shows (why you don't see them play huge cavernous stadiums).

Personally, the only way I see them going the "single" route is if they make the decision that they want to be more socially relevant. I wouldn't mind seeing them do what Green Day has done their past couple of albums. But I think that's a larger time commitment than they're probably willing to give right now.

I think that they're moving closer to what Bruce Springsteen does than what U2 does in terms of albums/touring though....
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,798
    I hope there's a 3rd single released.
    I miss igotid88
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420

the majority of DMB's attraction is the party....to me he's just a younger version of Jimmy Buffett....I don't see much talent there but that's my opinion

i get the buffett comparisons because of the party scene and i'm not real big into the band of dave mattews. but it's a fact that they have talent.

and i think the question is..have I given up on backspacer. just noticed i don't even listen to it anymore. been on quite the yield/no code bender
  • ive given up on backspacer a long time ago
    Speaking as a child of the 90's
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Maybe they're prepping for the follow up album they talked about? Next single on a new album maybe this summer?

Who knows. Either way, Backspacer is full of single worthy songs.
  • Vedder_Girl77Vedder_Girl77 Posts: 4,335
    Unthought Known would make an awesome 3rd single!

IF they had announced a complete World Tour when Backspacer had come out then they would have sold out more shows and the album would have sold more copies. You need to tour to promote an album and we all know that they only play a handful of shows each year now...the only people going to the shows are us diehards...it is hard to attract new fans when you don't tour.
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    Unthought Known would make an awesome 3rd single!
    THIS
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Its like they drew up the perfect play, lined-up behind the QB, received the hand-off, saw open daylight to the end zone, and then fumbled the ball away.

They released a popular, critically acclaimed record and then just kind of disappeared. 6 weeks after the album's release and they were done touring the USA until this upcoming little jaunt. So weird. And in the meantime all of the attention is toward the Soundgarden reunion.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    i don't think it's official that they won't release a third single....
    maybe they're playing it smart and letting things cool down after the success of just breathe.... maybe they don't want to throw singles out there like wood in a fire. you don't want to smother people with too much of a good thing. it can get boring.
  • GS163319GS163319 Posts: 132
    maddog36 wrote:
    PJ has enough money that they can support themselves and their families for the rest of their lives. IMO, for them it is now about making an occasional album that their fans like, and getting their kicks playing energetic live shows (why you don't see them play huge cavernous stadiums).

Personally, the only way I see them going the "single" route is if they make the decision that they want to be more socially relevant. I wouldn't mind seeing them do what Green Day has done their past couple of albums. But I think that's a larger time commitment than they're probably willing to give right now.

I think that they're moving closer to what Bruce Springsteen does than what U2 does in terms of albums/touring though....

I think you're on to something here. Especially the first few points. They have, and always will, take their own route when it comes to a career.
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    As of yesterday, Just Breathe was number 1 at the Triple A format and has crossed over to a few Top 40 stations.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • i think Got Some was considered the third single.

honestly i dont see another radio hit on this album.

SO SCREW NEW SINGLES. MAKE MORE ALBUMS!
  • GS163319 wrote:
    maddog36 wrote:

I think you're on to something here. Especially the first few points. They have, and always will, take their own route when it comes to a career.
    but then they do things only to sell more records, but shoot themselves in the foot with others. i cant really tell what they are doing.
  • I don't get why some of you seem to think that you have all the answers, i.e: "if you want to be a rock star touring is part of the package". The package is whatever the fuck they want the package to be. If they don't want to tour, they don't have to. If they don't want to release a third single, they don't have to.

I don't think anyone dropped the ball, I think they just don't give a shit who has the ball to begin with.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • I don't get why some of you seem to think that you have all the answers, i.e: "if you want to be a rock star touring is part of the package". The package is whatever the fuck they want the package to be. If they don't want to tour, they don't have to. If they don't want to release a third single, they don't have to.

I don't think anyone dropped the ball, I think they just don't give a shit who has the ball to begin with.
    they dont have to do anything. they can sit on their couches for the rest of their life watching tv. would make for a pretty crappy band though :)
    As of yesterday, Just Breathe was number 1 at the Triple A format and has crossed over to a few Top 40 stations.

PBM

which top 40 stations. i tried to find it. unless you're talking hot ac?
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:

PBM

May not be a lot...heard it on my local Top 40 station the other night. Kind of shocked me. I used to work there and the only Pearl Jam he played was Last Kiss and Betterman.

It has crossover potential.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

igotid88 wrote:

PBM

May not be a lot...heard it on my local Top 40 station the other night. Kind of shocked me. I used to work there and the only Pearl Jam he played was Last Kiss and Betterman.

It has crossover potential.

PBM

what station is that?
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:

what station is that?

WWKF/WAKQ

PBM