Has PJ given up on Backspacer? No 3rd single?

13»

Comments

• RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,240
    simpleman wrote:
    crazy people.

Haha yes this, I think it would be cool if some kids my age would get more into PJ so I guess it might help if they did another single or a bigger tour, but am I gonna listen to Unthought known any more just cus it's a "single"? No, so who cares, just listen to the music
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    Here on our National Rock station http://www.therock.net.nz I have heard - The Fixer, Just Breathe, Supersonic and Amongst the Waves a lot. The mainstream stations probably left BS after the 1st 2 singles, but who listens to mainstream radio?!? the thought of having to endure commercial pop makes me dry retch!
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • inlet13inlet13 Posts: 1,979
    I'm so sick of the same old response "who cares if they release a new single, just listen to the song if you want" and those like it...

First, you are not that cool. Why don't you type messages about the band to yourself instead of coming to a community message board?

Second, there's is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to get music out there to the masses, especially if you think it's good.

Third, there is nothing wrong with wanting to here "new" PJ randomly when you turn on the radio.... rather than the same old "daughter", "alive" set of 'classic' tunes.

In fact, I'd argue that people who are against PJ increasing in popularity again don't really have a point... other than better seats at a concert. That's the only valid point I can think of.

Personally, I'd like to see PJ more as relevant or even half as relevant as they were in the early-90s again. I think they deserve it. It's creeping into legacy time for this band... to go out strong would be ideal. I'd like for them to remembered for how great they are... and yes, I will remember them like that, but I'd like others to acknowledge greatness (that is so evident to me) too.
    Here's a new demo called "in the fire":

<object height="81" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt; <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href=" - In the Fire (demo)</a> by <a href="
  • TiraterraTiraterra Posts: 11
    I didn't dislike Backspacer (it was probably 6th or 7th if I were to rank their 9 albums), but I can see why some people did. The problem with the album to me was that, as it is definitely more of a "party record" (which was cool in its ow way), it just didn't have the emotional impact of Pearl Jam's previous albums.

That much said, I think they've still botched this album's marketing. First and foremost, there's the touring. I live in Northern California and Pearl Jam hasn't been anywhere near here in years, unless you count a festival they played in San Francisco last year, which I was unwilling to spend hundreds of dollars on just to see Pearl Jam for a couple hours. Which brings up my second point, which is that fewer dates and higher ticket prices are a terrible combination; I could handle one or the other, but not both of them. All power to those fans who follow PJ around the country, but on a part-time teacher's budget I simply could not afford a major road trip just to see PJ. So I've now not seen them in four years :(.

And this is definitely the time when they should be releasing a third single, especially since the first two on the album were so popular; instead, the group seems content to let the album fade away. I would vote for "Unknown Thought" or "Force of Nature." This isn't the first time the group has done this. Pearl Jam was my favorite post-Vitalogy album and also had two hugely successful first singles, and yet had a barely released third single ("Gone"), one which was probably the least marketable track on that album. Seriously, Pearl Jam had four or five potential hits on it, and that was the route they chose? What's next, "Speed of Sound" as the next Backspacer single? Sigh.
    Taylor A. Tiraterra
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    inlet13 wrote:
    I'm so sick of the same old response "who cares if they release a new single, just listen to the song if you want" and those like it...

First, you are not that cool. Why don't you type messages about the band to yourself instead of coming to a community message board?

Second, there's is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to get music out there to the masses, especially if you think it's good.

Third, there is nothing wrong with wanting to here "new" PJ randomly when you turn on the radio.... rather than the same old "daughter", "alive" set of 'classic' tunes.

In fact, I'd argue that people who are against PJ increasing in popularity again don't really have a point... other than better seats at a concert. That's the only valid point I can think of.

Personally, I'd like to see PJ more as relevant or even half as relevant as they were in the early-90s again. I think they deserve it. It's creeping into legacy time for this band... to go out strong would be ideal. I'd like for them to remembered for how great they are... and yes, I will remember them like that, but I'd like others to acknowledge greatness (that is so evident to me) too.
    i'm cool.
    and i don't care if they release a single
    i wanted backspacer to make them relevant but it's not happening
    PLAY JEREMY!!!
  • KevinmanKevinman Posts: 1,909
    I would love to see them get more and more fans. The more fans the more coverage and appearances...maybe. Anyway, my TC number will stay the same, so that would just be more people I'm ahead of. I don't see any reason anyone would not want to see more PJ fans out there, besides like mentioned above the seat deal.
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland
    09.03.11  Alpine Valley | 09.04.11  Alpine Valley
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago
  • vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 897
    So can we conclude that they have decided NOT to release a third single?

What a mistake.....This album has huge pontential.

It is still at #130 on the Billboard 200 after its 30th week! Imagine if they actually promoted a third single and actively pushed it to radio. Easily 750k, if not a mill
  • A third single, combined with the upcoming US dates, would help album sales a lot.
    I hope they release FON or UK soon...