why all the hate for "last kiss"?

Comments

• stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,365
    I am the offical president of HOLK (Haters of Last Kiss). The song sucked in the 50s and it still sucks now.
    can i be vice president of HOLK?

the song sucks ..... it is the only pj i ALWAYS skip on the boots.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh4se9YMV3A
    I was very surprised when they did this song. It actually was just another thing to bond me to Pearl Jam. The original I posted here, I was 8, Eddie was just born. I grew up singing along knowing every word, my sisters and I would all sing it together at the top of out lungs when Dad took us out in the stationwagon. Me being the youngest- I was in the way back with my head out the great big rear window. Such a sad song too makes a girl get all choked up, romantic. I love the song but you already know that.
  • airblue1airblue1 Posts: 404
    terrible song
    Hail To the Victors
    I refer to those in front...
  • cajunkiwicajunkiwi Posts: 984
    Kloddz wrote:
    PJ44 wrote:

For the most part...

REAL fans would never like a song that the common folk do. :roll:

ok but the common folk love alive, even flow, corduroy etc... and so do the REAL fans
    Hence the "no Even Flow" banners at shows and the endless rants about how Even Flow is the song during which everyone should go out and take a leak / buy a beer? No, I don't think the "hardcore" fans love Even Flow. Problem is probably that when you've been to 350 shows you become picky about which songs you wanna hear and don't pick the "mainstream" or successful ones. :roll: So yeah, it's probably the same with Last Kiss - it's too popular and thus uncool. :lol:

80% of the fans at any given Pearl Jam show have probably seen fewer than 10-15 PJ concerts in their lives (or, depending on where they live, fewer than 5), so they still LOVE hearing Even Flow, Alive, Corduroy, etc. It doesn't make them less of a fan for liking those songs - there's a reason they became huge hits, and that's because they're awesome songs. If someone has seen the band over 350 times and is sick of Even Flow, then that isn't the band's problem - if they play it and see 95% of the crowd going crazy for it, then they're going to keep playing it. And if someone really is bringing a banner to ask the band to NOT play certain songs... then that person should be made to wear a "Don't Mind Me, I'm Just An Idiot" t-shirt for the duration of the show. That's pretty damn disrespectful, regardless of what you think of the song.

Personally, I would MUCH rather hear Even Flow than The End, and I don't think that makes me any less hardcore a fan than someone who prefers Rival to Daughter. I've been into this band since the first time I heard Alive almost 20 years ago, and every time I listen to Ten it takes me back... it's a warm fuzzy trip down memory lane for me, so you can bet your ass I look forward to Black, Even Flow, Jeremy, Porch, etc. I'd take Ten over Backspacer any day of the week, and that doesn't take away my fan status one bit. I could listen to Oceans every day for the rest of my life and never get sick of it.

They've been around for almost 20 years, they've released nine studio albums, covered a buttload of songs, and they have a broad fan base. You'll never please everyone. Someone people love Last Kiss and some people hate it - but I don't think your thoughts about any one song determine how big a fan you are. I personally don't like Just Breathe, but I don't look at people who love it (of which, there are many) and think that makes them less of a fan than I am. I think they might like different aspects of Pearl Jam's music, but I don't think there's a right or wrong. Some people want to take a pee break during Even Flow, and others want to take a pee break during Supersonic (though it had better be a quick pee if you're trying to do it with a Backspacer song). Personally, I prefer GA shows to seated, so if you want to pee, go right ahead - and I'll be happy to move up and take your spot :lol:

That being said... I'm pretty ambivalent towards Last Kiss. It never really resonated with me, and I always liked Soldier of Love better. I guess it's just the fact that it was a little toooo simple for me - there weren't really any layers to it. That being said, judging from the crowd response I'm in the minority at the show, so I'll sing along anyway, be happy that other people are enjoying themselves, and wait for something I like better to come along.
    And I listen for the voice inside my head... nothing. I'll do this one myself.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    I DID IT AT KARAOKE ONCE :o8-)
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Grandmas JamGrandmas Jam Posts: 1,860
    I am the offical president of HOLK (Haters of Last Kiss). The song sucked in the 50s and it still sucks now.
    can i be vice president of HOLK?

the song sucks ..... it is the only pj i ALWAYS skip on the boots.

Nice to meet you Mr. VP. If you look at all the plays on my iTunes....all my boots have over like 30 listens and last kiss on those boots have maybe 1 oe 2 each hahaha. I let a few slip by before i could get to the skip button
    Ryan Crooks insists upon himself
  • it was the highlight of the show at Knoxville. only the second time they ever played it. lots of emotion.

pretty much tired of it now though.
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    i don't particularly care for the song itself. but it was pretty awesome how PJ just took that song and completely owned it.

caught it live a couple of times. it's just whatever.
  • KloddzKloddz Posts: 2,573
    cajunkiwi wrote:
    80% of the fans at any given Pearl Jam show have probably seen fewer than 10-15 PJ concerts in their lives (or, depending on where they live, fewer than 5), so they still LOVE hearing Even Flow, Alive, Corduroy, etc. It doesn't make them less of a fan for liking those songs - there's a reason they became huge hits, and that's because they're awesome songs. If someone has seen the band over 350 times and is sick of Even Flow, then that isn't the band's problem - if they play it and see 95% of the crowd going crazy for it, then they're going to keep playing it. And if someone really is bringing a banner to ask the band to NOT play certain songs... then that person should be made to wear a "Don't Mind Me, I'm Just An Idiot" t-shirt for the duration of the show. That's pretty damn disrespectful, regardless of what you think of the song.
    And that's exactly what I was trying to say. IMO the band shouldn't try to only please the spoiled people that have been to lots of (OK, my 350 number was a bit exaggerated, but you got the message) shows, and it's a good thing that they don't. Even if they play Alive and Even Flow every night (which they pretty much do), every PJ show is still a great experience (it's not like those songs suck, right?). And with the variation of the rest of the set lists that they bring on night after night, it's also still great for the "regulars" with a rare gem thrown in here and there (and they take requests, too) - you just can't expect every show to be a Vic. In the end it's a win-win situation for everyone, right? I mean c'mon, it's a PJ show, what can go wrong?

I realize this is all way off topic, so just let me conclude my banter by saying: why now u dont bitching?? :lol:
    Bern - September 13, 2006
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

http://www.last.fm/user/Kloddz
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Kloddz wrote:
    why now u dont bitching?? :lol:

:lol: :thumbup:
  • dislocateddislocated Posts: 599
    Last Kiss by Seven Mary Three is much better, and not a cover.
    dislocated wrote:
    Last Kiss by Seven Mary Three is much better, and not a cover.

i highly doubt that :mrgreen:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    Kloddz wrote:
    why now u dont bitching??:
    what do u mean with that?? :lol::lol::lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • it's structurally a bit dull, doesn't really go anywhere and, sorry, but Ed's voice sounds strained throughout.

But it is fun and sounds good live... I haven't seen it at any of the gigs I've been to, so I'd certainly be happy to sing along to it on a nice warm evening this summer.
    we're all going to the same place...
    its like when the song starts you go "ugh' ... 25 seconds later you''re singing " oh where oh where" :mrgreen:
    Kloddz wrote:
    Ummm... :? You tell me! :lol:
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

its like when the song starts you go "ugh' ... 25 seconds later you''re singing " oh where oh where" :mrgreen:
    Exactly! If nothing else, it's a good singalong tune...
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

• its like when the song starts you go "ugh' ... 25 seconds later you''re singing " oh where oh where" :mrgreen:

Agreed!
    October 31st, 2009 - Philly, PA
    May 18th, 2010 - Newark, NJ
    May 21st, 2010 - MSG, NYC
  • Hugo ReyesHugo Reyes Posts: 244
    because it sucks.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    Kloddz wrote:
    Kloddz wrote:
    Ummm... :? You tell me! :lol:
    ummmm..yeah..right... :lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Hugo Reyes wrote:
    because it sucks.
    +1 :D
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
    yes it got a lot of radio time <----which i was cool with But how can say you got hooked on pj because you liked last kiss? that's what gets on my nerves. last kiss is not pj sounding.

but oh well....gotta start as a fan somewhere i just don't see the connection.

'ew, i like pearl jam....they do last kiss right?'
    :roll:

i like the song thou. always have.
    not sure if you can see but my siggy......it's a car crashed under a tree. one of my favs of my pj shirt collection.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,272
    its not like they play this nugget every show

seriously, what's NOT to love??
  • Paul AndrewsPaul Andrews Posts: 2,489
    Last Kiss is a great fun cover, radio stuffed it up by putting it on mega high rotation at the expense of just about everything else PJ recorded. To hear it every now and then as a rarity at a show is awesome. To hear it day in day out on radio sucks.
  • "Last Kiss" is a classic "death song" and I heard it constantly on oldies radio as a kid. I was surprised that Ed first heard it on an old 45 as an adult. This must be why he was enamoured with the song. I wonder if he's familiar with "Seasons In The Sun" and "Leader Of The Pack" and "Run Joey Run" and all the other horrible "death songs" that I've had to suffer through on oldies night. I thought Pearl Jam's cover of "Last Kiss" was "cute", but it certainly wasn't something that should have been a career-defining hit or an eternal encore selection. It's truly an awful song.
  • doomponydoompony Posts: 4,497
    i loved it when it was first given to us on the xmas single. it got a little too much air.. a little, but they did good by giving that money to charity. so what's not to like?
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,986
    I like it -- then again, I like songs from that period, in general. My (oops!) now-eleven-year-old likes it. His current PJ favorites are "Black," "Daughter," "Last Kiss," "Just Breathe," "Dirty Frank," and "Bugs." 8-)

It is funny that so many people say they hate it, but in Philly everyone around us was singing their lungs out to it. :lol:
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    sucks

I immediately go to bathroom whether I have to pee or not

it's terrible
  • pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    DeLukin wrote:
    I don't HATE it, just don't love it. For me, that spot on the set list could be filled with something I'd rather hear. Besides, the story goes that radio stations in Philly started the grassroots effort that eventually ended up making it such a radio hit for the band, so EVERY TIME they come to Philly they play it - not that I'm complaining, just saying there are better alternatives, IMO.

Well said. Of all their songs, this is one of the ones I least like, and of course it's not really theirs cos they didnt write it. I've heard it twice live, crowd seemed to get into it on both occasions, but there are plenty of songs they do that I'd rather hear live than LK. Hear it a fair bit on the radio too and I wince when I hear it. It's just not a great song, imo, but then they can't do great songs all the time, something has to be inferior to other stuff they've done and I reckon this one fits the bill.
  • ya i dont care for this song, maybe most overated song ever. except for playing betterman everytime in concert :lol: