why all the hate for "last kiss"?

neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
edited April 2010 in The Porch
its just one of the million cover songs they do

is it because of the success?

is it because the song sucks?

another thought i had this morning
i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    I don't HATE it, just don't love it. For me, that spot on the set list could be filled with something I'd rather hear. Besides, the story goes that radio stations in Philly started the grassroots effort that eventually ended up making it such a radio hit for the band, so EVERY TIME they come to Philly they play it - not that I'm complaining, just saying there are better alternatives, IMO.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    cos is the last kiss...we want more ,endless kisses 8-)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    its funny that so many dislike but on every bootleg everyone is singing along quite loud :problem: :wtf: :crazy:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,445
    *smooch*
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • CardinalCardinal Posts: 479
    I dont care if its a cover...PJ does a good job at it.

Its subjective ........ you could like many songs in its place where others would want Last Kiss.....these threads are just so bloody dumb......or is it just weakminded stuff?
    Eddie Vedder Solo Tour Toronto Aug 9, 2008
    Eddie Vedder Solo Tour Albany NY June 9, 2009
    Pearl Jam Toronto Aug 21, 2009
    Pearl Jam Chicago Aug 23, 2009
    Pearl Jam Chicago Aug 24, 2009
    Pearl Jam Buffalo May 10, 2010
    Pearl Jam New York MSG1 May 20, 2010
    Pearl Jam New York MSG2 May 21, 2010
    Go Cards Go!
    Cardinal wrote:

Its subjective if you could like many songs in its place where others would want Last Kiss.....these threads are just so bloody dumb......or is it just weakminded stuff?

dumb? why is that ?

i personally like the song ..granted better songs could be played in its place

its a simple question as opposed to pj please cover "girls just wanna have fun " at MSG
  • is it because of the success?

For the most part...

REAL fans would never like a song that the common folk do. :roll:
    ***Desperately looking for a Pearl Jam Phillies themed Oct. 31 Philadelphia shirt in M or L. Got one you don't want/need? Help a brother out!
    *smooch*
    "smooch" back :roll:...and u deserve a smuckattttaaa... :D
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • CardinalCardinal Posts: 479
    Cardinal wrote:

Its subjective if you could like many songs in its place where others would want Last Kiss.....these threads are just so bloody dumb......or is it just weakminded stuff?

dumb? why is that ?

its a simple question as opposed to pj please cover "girls just wanna have fun " at MSG
    Seriously dude....why do you care? If you like it Great!.....I like it....some others dont....you dont know all thoose people....so why do you care? Are you going to start a national rally to get fans to love Last Kiss? People like...people dont....great...move on....
    Eddie Vedder Solo Tour Toronto Aug 9, 2008
    Eddie Vedder Solo Tour Albany NY June 9, 2009
    Pearl Jam Toronto Aug 21, 2009
    Pearl Jam Chicago Aug 23, 2009
    Pearl Jam Chicago Aug 24, 2009
    Pearl Jam Buffalo May 10, 2010
    Pearl Jam New York MSG1 May 20, 2010
    Pearl Jam New York MSG2 May 21, 2010
    Go Cards Go!
  • PJ44PJ44 Posts: 153

For the most part...

ok but the common folk love alive, even flow, corduroy etc... and so do the REAL fans
    PJ44
    Cardinal wrote:
    Cardinal wrote:

dumb? why is that ?

Seriously dude....why do you care? If you like it Great!.....I like it....some others dont....you dont know all thoose people....so why do you care? Are you going to start a national rally to get fans to love Last Kiss? People like...people dont....great...move on....

oh i dont know..just thought i would discuss pearl jam songs on a pearl jam board :roll:

or we can just request every song ever made or look at every poster ever made
  • Because it sucks.
    As I write highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me. - George Orwell
    Because it sucks.

their we go ...an honest answer/opinion :lol:
  • IamTomIamTom Posts: 1,138
    I can't stand this song(original or cover). Or as I prefer to put it...this dirge. Awful, tiresome, unimaginative, boring....om my god how boring!

That's my opinion.

I'm sure I enjoy songs others can't stand. It's all a matter of taste and for me this does not taste good.

As for the poster who says folks sing along...glad they like it. Each to one's own. I personally feel incredibly luck that I've seen the band 8 times and have never has to put up with it. Sadly the law of averages says I'll have to hear it sometime. Or maybe I'll stay lucky!
    Given To Live -

Latest story - Declan at Slipknot is up on the website now at www.giventolive.com along with Kayleigh at Foo Fighters, Tony at Stereophonics and more.

Inspired by Pearl Jam, making live music dreams come true.
  • DedvwDedvw Posts: 246
    Cardinal wrote:
    Cardinal wrote:

dumb? why is that ?

Did someone wake up on the wrong side of the bed? If someones posts makes you that angry, maybe you should step away from the board for a bit.

I'm not trying to start a fight...... just saying.
  • KloddzKloddz Posts: 2,573
    PJ44 wrote:

For the most part...

ok but the common folk love alive, even flow, corduroy etc... and so do the REAL fans
    Hence the "no Even Flow" banners at shows and the endless rants about how Even Flow is the song during which everyone should go out and take a leak / buy a beer? No, I don't think the "hardcore" fans love Even Flow. Problem is probably that when you've been to 350 shows you become picky about which songs you wanna hear and don't pick the "mainstream" or successful ones. :roll: So yeah, it's probably the same with Last Kiss - it's too popular and thus uncool. :lol:
    Bern - September 13, 2006
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

http://www.last.fm/user/Kloddz
  • KloddzKloddz Posts: 2,573
    *smooch*
    You guys are scaring me. :lol:
    Bern - September 13, 2006
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

http://www.last.fm/user/Kloddz
  • nevmilesnevmiles Posts: 1,363
    Not a good concert song IMO . . . . but basically, the song isn't that good (anymore). I liked it when it first came out, but the tune and melody itself has worn on me . . . .
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
    Kloddz wrote:
    *smooch*
    You guys are scaring me. :lol:
    a french kiss for u.. :roll: and not the last one.. :lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,943
    "why all the hate for "last kiss"?"

Because Last Kiss was a hit and the great majority of the board members are terribly snobbish here

:twisted:
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
    nevmiles wrote:
    Not a good concert song IMO . . . . but basically, the song isn't that good (anymore). I liked it when it first came out, but the tune and melody itself has worn on me . . . .

UNLESS you're sitting behind the stage :lol:
  • Grandmas JamGrandmas Jam Posts: 1,860
    I am the offical president of HOLK (Haters of Last Kiss). The song sucked in the 50s and it still sucks now.
    Ryan Crooks insists upon himself
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,415
    It's a sad loving song. Yes, it get's played over & over & over! But you gotta understand it's a very poppy tune & something radio dj's love to play on air. It's short, not too long, a hit & an emotional tune.

I also think it's nice when there's seats of fan backstage @ a show that they get their personal tune AKA Last Kiss played infront of them. Cause the rest of the whole show they just get to see their bum's.
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    might have been the first pearl jam song i ever got burned to a mix cd way back in ohh..99 i believe. still like it. never heard it live so i'm sure i'd like it
  • IamTomIamTom Posts: 1,138
    I am the offical president of HOLK (Haters of Last Kiss). The song sucked in the 50s and it still sucks now.

Damn! Thought I was.
    Given To Live -

Latest story - Declan at Slipknot is up on the website now at www.giventolive.com along with Kayleigh at Foo Fighters, Tony at Stereophonics and more.

Inspired by Pearl Jam, making live music dreams come true.
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    I have always liked Last Kiss. I'm sure I've said it before, but the song came out right before I graduated high school in 1999 and was in heavy rotation during my Senior Week at Myrtle Beach. I couldn't wait to go out and buy the single when it came out the next week. I'd always liked Pearl Jam but Last Kiss was the song that made me start buying their albums. Later that summer I went to the record store and picked up Live On Two Legs and I was blown away.

Sure, Last Kiss brought a lot of new fans to shows who only wanted to hear the hits. Last Kiss also got me hooked an I'm sure there are many more like me that became lifelong fans because of it. Last Kiss will always hold a special place in my heart for opening my ears and bringing me to the realization that Pearl Jam is the greatest band of my generation.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
  • I loved it when it came out on the Christmas single with Soldier of Love. I thought it was kind of Pearl Jam having a sense of humor, redoing these 2 oldie songs. Then it got huge. I still don't mind when it pops up on the ipod on shuffle for example, but when they play it live, it's kind of a buzzkill. You only get 25 or 30 songs, and if one is Last Kiss... kind of a waste of 1 song. And kind of cheesy. Plus I feel bad for Matt cause the drums are boring as hell. :)
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    Because Solider of Love is a much better cover that got left by the wayside when Last Kiss took off.
  • hdogg151hdogg151 Posts: 85
    Because its cheesy as hell and only has 4 chords!!

I actually feel bad for Stone when I hear it played life, b/c its gotta be so damn boring to play!
  • ChrisileinChrisilein Posts: 3,889
    I don't love this song but i have no problem to hear it in June or July! Just take a look how great it was in Portugal 2006! Eddie standing on a small platform in the middle of the crowd and 20000+ singing the whole song together!

Berlin would be a great venue for Last Kiss!
    up here in my tree in Vienna
    2006: Vienna 2009: Berlin 2010: London ~ Berlin 2012: Amsterdam 1+2 ~ Werchter ~ Arras ~ Berlin 1+2
    2014: Milano ~ Trieste ~ Vienna ~ Berlin 2018: Padova ~ Rome 2022: Budapest ~ Vienna
    EV London/Hammersmith 2012
    EV Berlin/Zitadelle 2017