Options

Do PJ have the Green disease as they are getting older?

fyreguy73fyreguy73 Posts: 168
edited July 2008 in The Porch
As they guys are getting older do you think they are getting a little greedy in their old age? Look at the prices for Ed's shows, and the boots.

Does this look like the Green disease.
He who forgets, will be destined to remember.

I wish I was the verb "to trust"
and never let you down.

Brisbane 1, 06
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    samnationsamnation Los Angeles, CA Posts: 277
    More like the kids and wives disease. Plus the inevitability of them no longer touring/releasing new music at all but still wanting to support the kids and wives in the future.

P.S. if you need a candidate for the "green disease", look no further than Ms. "$350 face value per ticket + I love Stub Hub" Madonna.
    Sam
  • Options
    InMyTree4InMyTree4 Posts: 1,239
    for as incredible as a band they are i think all there prices are perfectly resonable!
    PJ:7/2/03.9/28/04.5/25/06.8/5/07.6/14/08.6/27/08.6/28/08.6/30/08.
    10/30/09.10/31/09.5/17/10.9/7/11
    EV:boston 1+2.albnay 1.boston 2010
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,740
    pweafer4 wrote:
    for as incredible as a band they are i think all there prices are perfectly resonable!

Agreed. They could charge a lot more and still get great draws.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    SuzieMSuzieM Posts: 113
    pweafer4 wrote:

Yup. I used to be a Bon Jovi fan (please don't shoot me!!) but when I saw how much floor tickets at MSG were going for, it was a turn off for me. I'd probably still see them if they were under $100 a pop but for whatever they were selling them up? No effing way! Maybe because I'm in NYC and can just take the subway and don't have to worry about gas and parking it makes it less of an issue.
  • Options
    lowlight10lowlight10 Posts: 619
    the bootlegs??? $10-15 for a 2.5-3 hours show is expensive? come on.

everything has gone up in price beyond the standard 3% in inflation. thank the weak dollar and the price of oil.

in regards to the EV tour, these are small venues with only 5% of the capacity of the arenas PJ plays. they still have to hire a crew, haul gear, and pay rent to the venues.

i'm not saying its not expensive. $75 a ticket will make any person who has to work for a living pause and think. in the case of EV, I dont mind paying more if it keeps the annoying casual fan who is just there to get drunk out.

PS: Coldplay is charging $125 + fees for their arena tour. how does that grab ya?
    -

"In your case, I'll check my brain at the door and we'll start even, okay?"

Have you thanked a taper today?
  • Options
    mohomoho Posts: 540
    Well the boots are cheap, 6 quid for us europeans to download a show is great! But as for tickets, prices are going up everywhere across the globe for every band, its just the way it is. Bands are making little profit in record sales so they have to keep up their presumably comfortable lifestyle by rising the price of tickets to gigs, otherwise they wouldn't make any new cash.
    JUST PLAY THE F***ING NOTE!!!
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    Very reasonable prices in my opinion.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    let me ask you this

would you work at the same job for 18 years and never get a raise?
  • Options
    58823005882300 Posts: 813
    yep, lots of cash but our choices are put up or shut up (and stay home) :(
  • Options
    hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,930
    You can't talk about this here. Too many people are blind to the truth and should you disagree, you will be attacked.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,730
    You can't talk about this here. Too many people are blind to the truth and should you disagree, you will be attacked.

no, he put a green smiley face so people won't care.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    lowlight10lowlight10 Posts: 619

I agree, thats usually the case. Ignore the people that have no basis but slam you just for having an opinion. but listen to the points that other people make. if you just write them off, you're no better than the "how dare you question Pearl Jam!" people.
    -

"In your case, I'll check my brain at the door and we'll start even, okay?"

Have you thanked a taper today?
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    cutback wrote:
    let me ask you this

you call what they do "work"???!!! :p:D
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    cutback wrote:
    let me ask you this

the reason that ticket prices keep going up is because album sales keep going down. they know they'll always sell out arenas so they're going to milk it because that's they're money maker. In 1995, their money maker was album royalties. not anymore. That's why they were able to charge such low prices in the mid to late '90s.

But I don't know what the original poster is talking about with the bootlegs prices. I think they're more than reasonable.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    DariusDarius Posts: 89
    moho wrote:
    Well the boots are cheap, 6 quid for us europeans to download a show is great! But as for tickets, prices are going up everywhere across the globe for every band, its just the way it is. Bands are making little profit in record sales so they have to keep up their presumably comfortable lifestyle by rising the price of tickets to gigs, otherwise they wouldn't make any new cash.

The boots are totally well priced. how many cds can you buy with 30 plus tracks, priced between 10-17 bucks? as for ticket sales, PJ was really great for many years keeping their prices down. the fact that they've jumped so much this year...well, i guess you can say that inflation plays a part...but i'm sure all the fees are up on their end...plus, it's gotta be nice to get paid. don't forget, a few dollars end up being donated, right?

besides, i'd f*ckin pay double to see the MSG shows again, but everyone has their limits. good thing is i haven't reached mine yet
    After several hundred concerts spanning nearly twenty years of my life, I've finally been to the best shows of my life. PJ at the Garden 6/24-25/08
  • Options
    nuzzer1nuzzer1 New Jersey Posts: 1,432
    totally agree - the price is totally fair! think about all the revenue they lose because of piracy alone! Then look at what other legendary bands are charging for a ticket! Its more than half the price of a freaking U2 show.
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    i know i got the green disease... im fn' broke!
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    dude, fucking coldplay tickets face value are $125.

COLDPLAY!!!!!!
  • Options
    Rising oil prices = Everything going up in price
    6/14/08 - Bonnaroo
    6/19/08 - Camden 1
    6/24/08 - MSG 1
    8/07/08 - Newark, EV Solo
    6/11/09 - Upper Darby, EV Solo
    10/28/09 - Spectrum 2
    10/30/09 - Spectrum 3
    10/31/09 - Spectrum 4
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    I agree with the prices to see Pearl Jam, full band... but I have to admit the price to see Ed solo is a bit steep, I'm willing to pay it, but I am saying it's a bit steep.

It's virtually the same price to see him solo as it is to see the full band... It's not 6 guys on the road, it's really just him and some instruments and a bus... I'm assuming all these little theaters have their own lighting... again, I'm willing to pay and this is just an observation.
  • Options
    TT98TT98 Posts: 134
    dont see how anyone can complain about $75 for a ticket for venues with only a couple thousand capacity. Went to the Vancouver show and was EASILY worth the money, plus its not as expensive as the $80 it takes to fill my 50L tank with gas.
  • Options
    joewilliejoewillie Posts: 26
    Crazy thing is a pair of MSG tix in 2003 cost $83...this year that would get you half the way there. Still worth it but that's a big jump.
    8/12/92 Waterloo; 4/6/94 Springfield; 9/28/96 NYC; 9/29/96 NYC;
    5/19/97 Mercury Lounge (Tuatara w/Mike; 6/8/97 Randells Island (Ed & Mike; 9/8/98 East Rutherford; 9/10/98 MSG; 9/11/98 MSG; 8/23/00 Jones Beach; 4/30/03 Nassau; 7/8/03 MSG; 5/31/06 The Avalon; 6/24/08 MSG; 8/5/08 United Palace (Ed); 5/20/10 MSG; 5/21/10 MSG
  • Options
    Rising oil prices = Everything going up in price

That's what I thought too when I saw the 47 trucks they need to haul everything idling outside the venue...

OTOH they're buying offsets for all those emissions, no? ;)
  • Options
    joewillie wrote:
    Crazy thing is a pair of MSG tix in 2003 cost $83...this year that would get you half the way there. Still worth it but that's a big jump.

and that's what it really comes down to I guess. I'm among those who think that Pearl Jam is a little more about the money nowadays. but their show is worth every penny you spend every time you go. so I guess I can't complain.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,240
    nuzzer1 wrote:
    totally agree - the price is totally fair! think about all the revenue they lose because of piracy alone! Then look at what other legendary bands are charging for a ticket! Its more than half the price of a freaking U2 show.
    Well, U2 did have $49.50 GA floors last tour.
    They are by no means the worst offenders as far as tix prices are concerned.
    The $tones at 450 for good seats 2 years ago was ridiculous, but it pales in comparison to the $1,250.00 "lost Highway" package for good floor seats mr. Bon Jovi is charging.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,070
    1. Most, if not all, of these shows will sell out immediately.
    2. Tickets are already being scalped for up to 10X+ face.

Thus, the tickets are actually underpriced.
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    fyreguy73 wrote:
    As they guys are getting older do you think they are getting a little greedy in their old age? Look at the prices for Ed's shows, and the boots.

Does this look like the Green disease.
    Yeah.. i think you are right.
    They all of a sudden took on the whole 'Rock Star' lifestyle... you know, with the Rolls Royces and the Dom Perignon and the expensive drug habits (and subsequent, expensive rehab stints).
    Plus... I have notice Ed wearing a lot more fancy clothing... like he's been shopping at the Goodwills is the NICE parts of town, now. I mean, you don't get those nice surplus army shirts except maybe the Goodwill in Culver City or Santa Monica... not Compton or Watts.
    I guess it was inevitable... charging more for something like concert tickets for the past 18 years has nothing to do with external economic conditions and everything to do with greed.
    Good catch on that one.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    When you put in the years and get good at your job you deserve a raise.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Options
    notradebaxxnotradebaxx Posts: 198
    Turcotte98 wrote:
    dont see how anyone can complain about $75 for a ticket for venues with only a couple thousand capacity. Went to the Vancouver show and was EASILY worth the money, plus its not as expensive as the $80 it takes to fill my 50L tank with gas.

....when the gas in my tank
    feels like money in Eddies bank....
    by nine he had deciphered the illusion, trading magic for a fact...

32 shows since 2001 and counting ..
  • Options
    JamilyManJamilyMan Posts: 240
    While I can understand why people may bring out this argument time and time again... I would bet it is more of a reaction to the fact that Pearl Jam is no longer willing and/or able to spoil it's fan's with pricing that is so far below market value. For so long they spoiled their fanbase with tix that were grossly under what other bands were charging, and putting on a far better show. Now, they still charge less than so many bands, but their prices are high for what we have become accustomed to.

For those saying that Eddie's $75 tickets are astronomical... let's look at what else is out there...

Aretha Franklin at the Borgata this summer: $95 (more than 25% more than Eddie's tickets)

Jill Scott at the Borgata: $96/66 (again, good seats are 25% more - and for those that got 10C tix for Eddie, we will have good seats)

Bob Dylan at the Borgata: $137/97 (almost double for the good seats)

Let's move past the Borgata...

Van Morrison at Massey Hall: $195/95 (Eddie tix are still $75 so there is no conversion factor). Sure, Van Morrison is a legend, but tickets are 1.5x as much and 25% more for worse seats.)

Van Morrison at United Palace Theater (ORCHESTRA SEATING US $154.00 - US $254.00; LOWER LOGE SEATING US $154.00; UPPER LOGE SEATING
    US $104.00; GENERAL ADMISSION US $79.00; BALCONY SEATING
    US $79.00)

I mean, I can keep going, but this is just a small sampling of things I came across that illustrate that Eddie is not out of line with his ticket prices.

At the end of the day, we all have our line that we won't cross. For me, working a little extra to see Eddie solo was worth it.

My two cents - for whatever it is worth.

PEACE!!!
    For those who scoff at "Jamily" in my name... 9 years ago, when my first daughter was born there were jokes about whether my priority would be my family or PJ. I smiled and quipped "I am a JamilyMan." What was a family joke became a hated term among jammers. Didn't see that one coming!