Options

Do PJ have the Green disease as they are getting older?

Comments

• Options
    fyreguy73fyreguy73 Posts: 168
    cutback wrote:
    let me ask you this

would you work at the same job for 18 years and never get a raise?

I am a Firefighter. I have to fight for every raise. The Government dont value us.
    He who forgets, will be destined to remember.

I wish I was the verb "to trust"
    and never let you down.

Brisbane 1, 06
  • Options
    Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
    pweafer4 wrote:
    for as incredible as a band they are i think all there prices are perfectly resonable!

Ya, Rolling Stone had an article about live show ticket prices, and DMB, PJ, and one or two others were the only ones still w/ticket prices consistently btwn $40-$80 summer after summer

once u get to $90/show or $20/cd, then u got smthg to complain about
    altho, $83.50 for an EV solo show is a lil steep, but will be well worth it if I hear lots of stuff from Benaroya
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • Options
    snipes824snipes824 Posts: 870
    cutback wrote:
    let me ask you this

would you work at the same job for 18 years and never get a raise?
    never looked at it like that. good point.
  • Options
    sky08sky08 Posts: 43
    Yes, the ticket prices are too high. Objectively, they are high. Many people will, for varied reasons, defend the prices by comparing them to other ticket prices. But IMO this is not really useful; they are still too high. The band could lower the price by fifteen bucks and still make a decent profit ... and a sixty dollar rock and roll ticket would still be absurd.

And it's a problem not only because they are expensive, but because by being expensive it makes them too big a deal. If you paid a lot for a ticket you may have way too much invested in the show. If the band has an off night, you feel gypped, if the guy next to you was annoying, you feel gypped. It sets up a bad vibe, whereas if the ticket was reasonably priced, nothing is too big a deal. You can just see another show a fews days later.

I vowed years ago after paying too much to hear an artist I like, not to pay high ticket prices (which I am now doing for PJ) because the audience vibe was awful ... people were shushing each other for singing. That particular reaction will likely never happen at a PJ show, but the high prices make it feel somehow corporate.
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I agree. I think Ed should work for minimum wage.. Hopefully he'll stop contributing to good causes too, because its going to be hard to put food on the table on minimum wage..

Seriously though, concerts like these cost a lot to put together these days.. plus the members of the band are no longer providing for just themselves, but families now, that raises their life costs 2,3, maybe 400%.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    God I am so fucking tired of these threads.

Why do you people feel the need to bitch CONSTANTLY about EVERYTHING?

Why even listen to a band that causes you so much pain and suffering? Seriously.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    LeilaMoonTurtleLeilaMoonTurtle Posts: 1,422
    shhh

DeLukin wrote:
    Agreed. They could charge a lot more and still get great draws.
  • Options
    LeilaMoonTurtleLeilaMoonTurtle Posts: 1,422
    yep

the city has not renewed my contract in 2 yrs

2 yrs no raise

fyreguy73 wrote:
    I am a Firefighter. I have to fight for every raise. The Government dont value us.
  • Options
    Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
    ....when the gas in my tank
    feels like money in Eddies bank....

its gotta go somewhere...at least not the gov't
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • Options
    without constantly comparing them to everyone else's prices, my only gripe is this: How can Ed Ved charge the same for a solo show ticket, as they charge for PJ tix?
    You wouldn't pay the same to see Chris Robinson as you would to see the Black Crowes...

BUT, don't take this as a whine--I got tickets to night 1 anyway. And I can't wait. :)

and EVERYTHING costs too much lately--gas, food, concerts, houses....ya just gotta suck it up.

peace
    "Find myself singing the same songs every day....
    ones that make me feel good when things behind the smile ain't ok...." -Hoon
  • Options
    without constantly comparing them to everyone else's prices, my only gripe is this: How can Ed Ved charge the same for a solo show ticket, as they charge for PJ tix?

Because the venues are a lot, lot smaller. Less seats = more intimacy, but it also = less revenue stream. When you're paying to see PJ, you're not paying $15 per each member. You are paying to a see a show. Period.

And Ed's show is a show. Period.
    You wouldn't pay the same to see Chris Robinson as you would to see the Black Crowes

That's because Chris Robinson sucks.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147

That's because Chris Robinson sucks.

hehehehehehe :D:D
  • Options
    writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    I agree with the prices to see Pearl Jam, full band... but I have to admit the price to see Ed solo is a bit steep, I'm willing to pay it, but I am saying it's a bit steep.

It's virtually the same price to see him solo as it is to see the full band... It's not 6 guys on the road, it's really just him and some instruments and a bus... I'm assuming all these little theaters have their own lighting... again, I'm willing to pay and this is just an observation.

why? how much is it to see Eddie solo?
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • Options
    writersu wrote:
    why? how much is it to see Eddie solo?

$169 a pair....
    $84.50 each
    "Find myself singing the same songs every day....
    ones that make me feel good when things behind the smile ain't ok...." -Hoon
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,730
    All they are anyway are a bunch of hoods with guitars.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    JamilyManJamilyMan Posts: 240
    See Eddie. Eddie plays guitar. Eddie sings. Eddie sells a product.

See Fans. Fans like music. Fans pay to listen to music. Fans pay to watch performances.

If Eddie sells his product for more than Fans will pay, Eddie will pay to an empty theater. Eddie sets his price comparable to others'.

Eddie fills the theater. Fans fill their ears. People smile.

See Dick. Dick is a certain kind of Ten Club member. Dick likes to complain. See Dick complain that the shows sell out too quickly (prices are too low?). See Dick complain that the prices are too high (yet they still sell out in a few seconds). See Dick complain about setlists. See Dick complain about recording policies. Dick will always find a reason to complain no matter what happens.

Please don't be a Dick
    For those who scoff at "Jamily" in my name... 9 years ago, when my first daughter was born there were jokes about whether my priority would be my family or PJ. I smiled and quipped "I am a JamilyMan." What was a family joke became a hated term among jammers. Didn't see that one coming!
  • Options
    PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    If I work, I get paid. If you work, you get paid.

If I own a company with employees, taxes, insurance of all kinds, rent or a mortgage, overhead of all kinds, and, oh God forbid, make a little Profit, am I a bad person?

Why is PJ held to a higher standard?
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,240
    JamilyMan wrote:

See Dick. Dick is a certain kind of Ten Club member. Dick likes to complain. See Dick complain that the shows sell out too quickly (prices are too low?). See Dick complain that the prices are too high (yet they still sell out in a few seconds). See Dick complain about setlists. See Dick complain about recording policies. Dick will always find a reason to complain no matter what happens.

Please don't be a Dick
    I think I see him:

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=293211
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    IAmMyselfIAmMyself Posts: 667
    I know it's a crazy thought, but if you don't like the prices for the damn events, don't buy the tickets! Maybe I had to be in my 30's to come up with this original idea! Or maybe I am well rounded enough in my musical tastes, that I am aware that a band of their caliber could demand much more money.

As for Eddie charging too much for his solo show, DON'T F*CKING GO! More tickets for the people who can afford them!

For all the rest of you, I heard Phish is getting back together!

I am sooooo sorry if you feel like this is just my blinded view of Pearl Jam, get a life. I live in reality, have you bought a gallon of milk lately. I can get one Eddie solo show ticket for 24 gallons of milk, done~plus I don't drink milk anyway~have you heard what they do to those cows.
    "Please help me to help you, help yourself." EV
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Agree ticket prices are very reasonable..and less than most headliner bands....but they are selling posters, t-shrits, zippo lighters, "baby Clothes"......hey I'm glad though that they are...its all good but to think they don't have a marketing department that maximizes total sales?!?!
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    luvisatowerluvisatower Posts: 1,078
    JamilyMan wrote:
    See Eddie. Eddie plays guitar. Eddie sings. Eddie sells a product.

See Fans. Fans like music. Fans pay to listen to music. Fans pay to watch performances.

If Eddie sells his product for more than Fans will pay, Eddie will pay to an empty theater. Eddie sets his price comparable to others'.

Eddie fills the theater. Fans fill their ears. People smile.

Please don't be a Dick
    this has got to be HANDS DOWN the BEST POST EVER
    thank you JamilyMan
    :D
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Get it now, get enough, before its gone, let's everybody carry on, carry on....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.wishlistfoundation.org
    WE WANT YOU!!!!
    join the street team
    http://wishlistfoundation.fancorps.com

"headphones are highly recommended...." Jeff Ament
  • Options
    Do they have the Green Disease??? Proabably a little, but they paid there dues and are not nearly as bad as some other acts out there.
  • Options
    blueeyedevilblueeyedevil Posts: 173
    Wow. Seems alot of you are lumping this thread in with the "whiner" dept. I don't see it that way. The original topic, although nothing new, is a valid question that was set up to get YOUR opinions as well. Why jump down everyones throat just because a few people point out rising ticket prices?

I think the band has made a choice to make a better profit margin than in the past, and I don't see anything wrong with it. PJ's prices for the East Coast tour were fair, and I went to 3 shows. For me, and me alone, I won't pay the same price to see Eddie solo, so I am choosing to pass on the solo tour. I don't think there is any price gouging though. Eddie is charging what the market will bare, and many people obviously think it's worth the coin to see him.

Why do all of these threads turn into "whiners vs. fanboys"? What ever happened to DISCUSSIONS?
    Philly-4/28/03, Holmdel-7/14/03, Reading-10/1/04, Philly-10/3/05, Camden-5/27/06, Camden-5/28/05, Camden-6/19/08, Camden-6/20/08, MSG- 6/25/08
  • Options
    Why jump down everyones throat just because a few people point out rising ticket prices?

Because the discussion is played out and tiresome. Every time ANYTHING is for sale around here, there are multiples threads of people bitching about the price.

Do a search. I'm sure you'll find people bitching about $25 tickets back in 2000.

It just gets really, really old.
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    People! Ed mostly lives in Hawaii, right? Milk is like $9 a quart over there! Olivia probably drinks a lot milk( she's a kid ) Plus if Laird comes over, he probably drinks a Gallon by himself. We also can't forget about our boy BOOOOOOM! He needs $$$ too.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    sky08 wrote:
    The band could lower the price by fifteen bucks and still make a decent profit ... and a sixty dollar rock and roll ticket would still be absurd.

I think this comment was kind of funny. Do you actually have access to the bands books and know how much profit they are making?

I think the poster who mentioned that the band is getting older and can't tour forever is band on. I mean eventually the band is not going to want to tour any more and the money they make now is going to have to support them for the rest of their lives.

Plus like someone else said they are making less money from CD's (Versus sold more copies in 1 week than Avocado has in 2 years). But their living expenses are still the same if not more so they have to make up the money somewhere.

Plus I would imagine the costs for the road crew have gone up. I think I read somewhere that people like roadies and guitar techs have been with them for quite a few years. A roadie who has been with the band since the 90’s is obviously going to be able to demand, and be paid more than someone who is new for this tour. And PJ seems like the kind of band who would reward loyalty with their staff, rather than firing them and hiring new people each year.
  • Options
    PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    Concerts are not a necessity they are a luxury. I don't complain about the prices just like I don't complain about the price of my Starbucks coffee. I don't need either one of these to survive but I spend the money b/c I enjoy them. If you don't want to spend the money then don't go. That leaves more 10C tickets avaiable for those who really want to go :)
  • Options
    InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
    I'm not complaining what a great reason to be broke. 8 shows this tour, 1 EV show, too bad I'm too broke to be able to buy bootlegs for a couple months though. DO you guys think you still will be able to buy the physical boots in a couple months? I hope so, because i can't buy them right now and I want them all!!!!
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
  • Options
    Laura in NJLaura in NJ Posts: 176
    Poncier wrote:
    Well, U2 did have $49.50 GA floors last tour.
    They are by no means the worst offenders as far as tix prices are concerned.
    The $tones at 450 for good seats 2 years ago was ridiculous, but it pales in comparison to the $1,250.00 "lost Highway" package for good floor seats mr. Bon Jovi is charging.

And by the way, not only did I get those $49.50 GA floor seats for U2, but I was randomly selected by the ticket gods to be inside "the egg," so for most of the show, Bono was within 20 - 50 feet of me. Best fifty bucks I EVER spent on a concert. It was the U2 concert experience of a lifetime.

And so was 10th-row Pearl Jam at Fiddlers Green. And 22nd row at the Garden in 2003.

Bon Jovi sucks. I oughta know...he grew up in my hometown. Had a relative in the business and *poof* rock star. And he doesn't talk to the relative any more.
    Laura in NJ
    4-17-1994 Paramount Theater, NYC
    6-20-1995 Red Rocks (Sponsored By No One tour)
    6-23-1998 Fiddler’s Green, CO
    7-09-2003 MSG NYC
    9-28-2004 Fleet Center, Boston (Vote For Change warmup)
    6-01-2006 & 6-03-2006 E. Rutherford, NJ
    6-25-2008 MSG NYC * 7-07-2008 EV NJPAC
  • Options
    PJBuckeyePJBuckeye Posts: 1,102
    We all have a green disease. EVERYBODY needs money. Including Pearl Jam. Why else would we all spend 40+ hours doing things that we are somewhat indifferent about? It is because we are all greedy. Atleast PJ enjoys their jobs.

This greed doesn't ever get tamed either. For example, if you told me that I could make my current salary when I was 18, I would have thought I would be content. However, as the wife, daughter, two dogs, two cars, and house come along, it doesn't seem to be nearly enough. The same goes for PJ. So keep expecting prices to go up.
    Chicago 6/29/98 - Nashville 8/17/00 - Cleveland 4/25/03- Chicago 6/18/03
    Chicago 5/16/06 - Milwaukee 6/30/06 - Bonnaroo 6/14/08 - Milwaukee (EV)8/19/08
    Chicago 8/23/09 - St. Louis 5/4/10 - East Troy 9/3/11 - East Troy 9/4/11
    Minor League Park 7/19/13 - Milwaukee 10-20-14 - Bonnaroo 6/11/16
    Minor League Park 8/20/16 - Minor League Park 8/22/16
    Minor League Park 8/18/18 - Minor League Park 8/20/18 - Los Angeles 4/16/20