Mick
    Hendrix

Much love to:
    Vedder
    Weiland
    Bono
    Lennon
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    Bono should be number 1 unless U2 is not considered rock. But Bono is by far the greatest frontman of all time. By far.

Vedder's voice didn't stay outstanding for long enough to be considered one of the best. He's good, but most songs include that "cringe" moment.

Are you serious???
  • wow! i'm the only one with David Lee Roth?!!!!!

he had an amazing stage presence!!

nobody else could do some of the shit he did on stage! (he is a black-belt!)

and Van Halen was huge back in the day!!
  • tmantman Posts: 158
    Flame on guys but it amuses me sometimes that some on the list are so blinded by their Love for Pearl Jam that they believe Eddie should be always on the best of lists. Don't get me wrong I love Pearl Jam and have been with the club since 92 so I'm not just some newcomer here. Its just that there are so many Rock and Roll Greats that will never be forgotten and many such as John Lennon, Elvis, Buddy Holly, Hendrix etc who live in infamy as well as those such as Jagger/ Tyler/ Paul McCartney that have been around much longer and have been much more influential on music over the ages. If you asked Eddie his thoughts on the top 5 I am sure he would look to those that have influenced him and laugh if you said he should be one of the top 5. Its great to Love the band but many on here have taken it way beyond and simply Idolize them for any reason it seems anymore. It seems also to me that Eddie always shunned the Rockstar image so how could one consider him to be one of the top rockstars of all time?
    Just my two cents!
  • JL19851JL19851 Posts: 209
    I disagree with that. It's not idolization to put Vedder near the top. I think he is one of the best frontmen of all time, and that has a lot to do with the fact that you can call it what you like, but at the live show, he has the audience in the palm of his hand all night all the while coming across as both charismatic and genuine. I am not sure of too many other rock stars that can do that night in and night out. Most have their nightly rantings which are the same with [insert local city here] with it. The only other guy I've definitely seen do that better than Vedder is Springsteen, and he does it without saying a word. All the names like Hendrix, Lennon, McCartney, Elvis...I never saw them live, so I can't judge (yes, I am single-handedly making it my criteria since I think great frontmen come through at the show more than just on the recording).

So my list, I guess, if I could do it would be:

Bruce Springsteen
    Eddie Vedder
    Ben Harper
    Tom Petty
    Roger Daltrey

On this basis as well, I am calling Pearl Jam the greatest concert I've seen, and Springsteen's E-Street Band the best band I've seen live (somehow, I think Pearl Jam puts together the total show better, and the feeling in the room is just a whole lot better...can't fully explain in words).
  • tman wrote:
    Flame on guys but it amuses me sometimes that some on the list are so blinded by their Love for Pearl Jam that they believe Eddie should be always on the best of lists. Don't get me wrong I love Pearl Jam and have been with the club since 92 so I'm not just some newcomer here. Its just that there are so many Rock and Roll Greats that will never be forgotten and many such as John Lennon, Elvis, Buddy Holly, Hendrix etc who live in infamy as well as those such as Jagger/ Tyler/ Paul McCartney that have been around much longer and have been much more influential on music over the ages. If you asked Eddie his thoughts on the top 5 I am sure he would look to those that have influenced him and laugh if you said he should be one of the top 5. Its great to Love the band but many on here have taken it way beyond and simply Idolize them for any reason it seems anymore. It seems also to me that Eddie always shunned the Rockstar image so how could one consider him to be one of the top rockstars of all time?
    Just my two cents!

what people think doesnt have to be fact. if a thread on the PEARL JAM website about best front men didnt include vedder then i would be confused.
  • EastiesEasties Posts: 479
    Hutchence
    Mercury
    Bono
    Scott
    Jagger
    Morrison
  • Bird889Bird889 Posts: 423
    when I think of Frontman I think of the lead singer of a band.

so I eliminated Dylan from my list. Elvis too.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
    slide in sideways, BBQ sandwich in one hand, cold beer in the other,
    body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "Woo Hoo what a
    ride"!
    Unknown

• Paul AndrewsPaul Andrews Posts: 2,489
    edited April 2010
    ML181059 wrote:
    tman wrote:
    Just my two cents!

what people think doesnt have to be fact. if a thread on the PEARL JAM website about best front men didnt include vedder then i would be confused.

With respect, I'm sure none of us think our list is definitive, as I'm sure Glenn A Baker (Aussie rock historian and general know-it-all) does not believe his to be definitive. The lists are our personal lists, our top frontmen for our reasons, not to be held up as 'the one'. They just make interesting debating points. :)

I didn't originally include the term 'rockstar' because I also thought that was a load of crap, but it was in the video so I added it. I think the term was used for very different connotations to the one we're using. Remember this was shitty Aussie morning TV, largely viewed by people who largely thought the beatles were scuffy and that Elivs was immoral. I'm sure that influenced his list. Just check out the presenters - they wouldn't know their arseholes from a hole in the ground, watch a few of the other videos like best covers - you'll see this.

Dylan, Elvis, Hendrix (sorta), Bowie, Alice Cooper didn't make my list because they are largely solo artists.

Daltery lost ground as frontman because every who dvd I've watched, Pete has done most of the frontman duties, Roger was purely 'the singer'.

Sting in the Police was one I considered, but he put on such a shit solo performance down here a few years ago that he was disqualified.

I just never got into the whole 'Jim Morrison' thing, sometimes I feel he needed someone to give him a smack in the face and to tell him to go take a long walk in the hall of mirrors and take a good hard look at yourself and then come back when you've grown up. :lol: And while I'm on it, The Tea Party are the greatest doors coverband ever. (duck's for cover) :lol:

I left out Bono because while I understand he is a great frontman and god to diehard fans, it's just not my thing and I think he commands respect for what he does rather than how he commands and captures an audience. I never here first time U2 concert goers come out raving the way fist time PJ concert goers do. I'd put him in the top ten though.

I left Brian Johnson out because singing about your dick to a group of diehard drunk bogans (and I use that term with all respect), is just too darn easy and sine Bon Scott died, AC/DC has been the 'Angus Young Show'.

Bruce Dickenson and Ian Hartford were left off Simply because I have never seen them and while they appear brilliant (esp Dickenson who is in my top 10), I missed that scene as I was more new wave/rock rather than metal.

Anyway others who almost made my list: if I was to go really obscure, I'd put Doc Neeson from 'That Angles' as this is the Aussie band who deserved a lot more success than they ever got.
    Post edited by Paul Andrews on
  • Jagger
    Plant
    Morrison
    Vedder
    Bono
    04-11-94. The Boston Gahden.  Boston, MA
    10-02-96. The Meadows.  Hartford, CT
    08-29-00. Tweeter Center.  Mansfield, MA
    07-02-03. Tweeter Center.  Mansfield, MA
    03-27-11. Tres Mts (with Jeff and Mike).  Paradise Rock Club.  Boston, MA  
    06-16-11. EV solo tour.  The Wang Theater.  Boston, MA
    09-03-11. Alpine Valley. PJ20.  East Troy, WI
    09-04-11. Alpine Valley. PJ20.  East Troy, WI
    09-04-18. Fenway Park.  Boston, MA
    09-17-24. Fenway Park.  Boston, MA
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,941
    Bird889 wrote:
    when I think of Frontman I think of the lead singer of a band.

so I eliminated Dylan from my list. Elvis too.

I could think of about a thousand reasons to not consider Dylan :lol::lol::lol: . Awesome songwriter, though.

I'll throw Iggy Pop out there.....
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • MASMAS Posts: 630
    bootlegger10 wrote:
    Bono should be number 1 unless U2 is not considered rock. But Bono is by far the greatest frontman of all time. By far.

Vedder's voice didn't stay outstanding for long enough to be considered one of the best. He's good, but most songs include that "cringe" moment.

Music is an extremely subjective thing, based mostly on opinion...With that said, it is my humble opinion that Bono is probably the most overrated performer in the history of rock music. If anyone has a "cringe" factor it is him. You can't even compare the two, it's simply not fair to Ed.
  • abistroabistro Posts: 9
    DJ273378 wrote:
    This would be my top 6, probably in this order....

1) Morrison (Gotta Love The Doors)
    2) Mercury
    3) Vedder
    4) Daultry
    5) Jagger (I am not the biggest Stones fan)
    6) Tyler (Aerosmith)

Slight modification:
    1) Jagger
    2) Plant
    3)Vedder
    4) Mercury
    5)Morrison

It's really hard not to bump Eddie up in the top 2. Seriously, what other band has gone as long as Pearl Jam. What band has toured as much and as "well" as PJ over a 15 year + span? It's also hard not to put Cobain up there, but the timeline is what counts (I think). PJ has been around for a long time now and Eddie still commands respect on stage. Bands like Creed, Bon Jovi, etc. come and go, but their live shows (obviously) lack the kind of devoted fanbases, and they eventually fade- until the front man gets into some problem with drugs.
    My list is all about the lenght of time and the dedicated fan base. Not putting Morrison up there (and ignoring Daltry) I believe must be done. It just has to be done :)
  • abistroabistro Posts: 9
    Cringe= Eddie's voice?
    Are you kidding me? It may be true that he can't sing as loud and as often on tour, but their music has changed dramatically over the past 10 years, and Eddie's voice has as well. Time takes its toll on anyone.

However, having said the above, I invite you to listen to something like Marker in the Sand on the Avocado Album or Comatose and compare it to any Bono vocals in the past 10 years.

Bono can't sing the high-pitched parts of Where the Streets Have No Name and Eddie can't really pull Alive night after night like he used to. It's a part of life.

But if you want to compare the live raw emotion of Eddie and Bono, there's no contest. In the short video introduction for Backspacer Eddie has an awesome comment about needing to re-energize himself by singing really loud angry songs (don't quote me:) and it makes sense.

Put on Got Some and see what I mean. No contest. Eddie's voice= cringe?

I hope you're not part of the fanclub to sell me tickets on Craigslist when I don't pay attention to the Tenclub sale dates :(
  • chelsea48chelsea48 Posts: 594
    It took a while for Jimi to get in here but i'll go:
    Vedder
    Jagger
    Hendrix
    Daltrey
    Morrison
    Lynott :o
  • InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
    Daultry
    Jager
    Hendrix
    Vedder
    Anastasio
    Young
    Dylan
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
  • I can't think of a particular order:

Jimi Hendrix
    Jim Morrison
    David Bowie
    Robert Plant
    Eddie Vedder
    Steven Tyler

That's tough. It feels wrong not to squeeze John Lennon, James Hetfield, Bruce Dickinson, Ozzy Osbourne, Iggy Pop and a whole load of others in there. I'm also sorely tempted by Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull because he was so fantastically mental looking back in the 70s - anyone who resembles Catweazle is alright by me: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catweazle
  • Plant
    Morrison
    Vedder
    Mercury
    and.... David St. Hubbins
  • Rossum20Rossum20 Posts: 910
    Plant
    Hendrix
    Vedder
    Morrison
    Neil Young
    Byrne

honorables to dylan and lennon
  • CC9172CC9172 Posts: 127
    Freddie Mercury (queen)
    Robert Plant (zep)
    Eddie Vedder (PJ)
    Paul Rodgers (free, bad company, Queen)
    Roger Daltrey (who)
    Jim Morrison (doors)

honorable mention:

Steven Tyler (aerosmith)
    Steve Perry (journey)

Front ladies
    Pat Benatar
    Cyndi Lauper
    Joan Jett
  • fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    KO282453 wrote:
    1) Eddie Vedder
    2) Micheal Stipe
    3) James Hetfield
    4) Bruce Dickinson
    5) Rob Zombie
    6) David Bowie

i like your range
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,415
    Ed Vedder
    Maynard Keenan
    Neil Young
    Beck Hansen
    Bruce Dickinson
    Ozzy Osbourne
  • KO282453 wrote:
    1) Eddie Vedder
    2) Micheal Stipe
    3) James Hetfield
    4) Bruce Dickinson
    5) Rob Zombie
    6) David Bowie

i like your range

I was thinking the same thing :D I ended up with a very 60s/70s heavy list because it's hard not to but this one's good.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,242
    Alfalfa
    curly
    elmerfud
    fred flinstone
    woody fromm toy storie ... :lol::lol:
    Daffy duck ..........
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • tbell_1tbell_1 Posts: 21
    No Love for DIO on any of these lists?!
    2003 - Toronto
    2005 - London ON
    2006 - Toronto I & II, Detroit
    2008 - Camden II, EV solo Toronto I
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Cleveland
    2011 - Toronto, EV Solo Detroit
    2013 - Wrigley, Buffalo
  • 1)mercury
    2)tyler
    3)vedder (regardless if his voice isn't has strong anymore the guy swung from a stage rafter with a microphone lead, come on)
    4)grohl (he feels every note he plays on stage cos he's thankful that he got a second chance after cobain)
    5)uncle bruce!!!
    6)it's a tie between hager and roth!!!!!

whoever mentions liam gallagher needs a brain scan!!!
    Caleb Benjamin Higgs-16th December 2006
    Max Lennon Higgs-22nd October 2010
    My two boys are the light of my life.

check my band/project out at www.soundclick.com/nineyardsleft
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    wow! i'm the only one with David Lee Roth?!!!!!

he had an amazing stage presence!!

nobody else could do some of the shit he did on stage! (he is a black-belt!)

and Van Halen was huge back in the day!!
    I had him in there at first. I saw Van Halen 4 times with Roth and by 1984 he even had his own little solo performence during the show.
    #FHP