Anyone pick up an iPad yet?

Comments

• rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696

It's just very simplistic.. for the person who said they can read books on their phone, I can too and it SUCKS!

I could definitely see this being awesome for reading.

Books are pretty good for that too. No recharging needed.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    rrivers wrote:

It's just very simplistic.. for the person who said they can read books on their phone, I can too and it SUCKS!

Oh come on. Books are heavy and awkward. They've had electronic book readers for years because of this.

As the technology becomes cheaper, these things will become more practical. The only reason I'd get a laptop over an iPad right now is multitasking and storage space. Other than that, the iPad is pretty cool.
    rrivers wrote:

Oh come on. Books are heavy and awkward. They've had electronic book readers for years because of this.

Books are heavy and awkward? I just lifted a book that was on my desk up with one finger. And when I read it outside I don't have to worry about the glare on the screen or recharging it.

Heavy and awkward....that's priceless.
  • StarfallStarfall Posts: 548
    I think what Like an Ocean was trying to say was that we have book readers for almost the same reasons we have iPods - think of being able to store as many books as you can, being able to access them whenever you can, on a single, compact electronic device. Just like we can carry the equivalent of hundreds of albums on a single iPod.

Anyway, I did get to play with an iPad at the Apple Store. The wow factor is undeniable. However, given I already have a late 2009 13.3" MacBook Pro AND a 32GB iPhone 3GS, I can't justify getting one right now.
    "It's not hard to own something. Or everything. You just have to know that it's yours, and then be willing to let it go." - Neil Gaiman, "Stardust"
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    it's liberal hippy shit. laptop for the win. i can read a book AND listen to pj boots at the same time. or check the score of the NCAA game. fuck apple and there silly little gizmo's
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    rrivers wrote:
    So.. you going to take a library with you when you go on vacation?

Immagine having thousands of books on an iPad.. more than you could fit in your house.. a library at your fingertips!

People are so quick to hate this thing because its Apple and its been done before. I thought it was stupid too, but the more I think about it, the handier this thing becomes.

Don't think of it as a laptop or pc. It's really just an interactive clipboard. Don't buy one if you don't see the advantages of it for you.

I'm not sold on this yet, but could see myself being when they get more powerful.

And no, I don't own an iPod or an iPhone. 8-)
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    yet, an laptop does everything this ipad can do and more.

i'm in the midst of a 5 day weekend get away. i've taken my laptop thru 5 states and find that the weight/size/ease of use factor to be very favorable.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    yet, an laptop does everything this ipad can do and more.

i'm in the midst of a 5 day weekend get away. i've taken my laptop thru 5 states and find that the weight/size/ease of use factor to be very favorable.
    Don't think of it as a laptop. Think of it as a more interactive device, kind of a step towards that crazy computer from the movie Minority Report.. Plenty of people aren't going to find a use for the iPad. If you're happy with your laptop thats fine, just like Ed loves his typewriter. 8-)

I'd buy one if it could multitask and had more hard drive space.. until then, I'm not sold, but I think its a step in the right direction.
    Starfall wrote:
    I think what Like an Ocean was trying to say was that we have book readers for almost the same reasons we have iPods - think of being able to store as many books as you can, being able to access them whenever you can, on a single, compact electronic device. Just like we can carry the equivalent of hundreds of albums on a single iPod.

That is a valid argument for it, especially if you travel a lot.
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    I've never purchased an Apple product and don't think I ever will. Maybe the biggest reason is Steve Jobs has forever creeped me out. Dude is always wearing that same black mock turtleneck and blue jeans, which is stupid of course, but it's his demeanor that really bothers me. He's just a creepy fucking weirdo. Their ads have always felt like hype to me. I'd rather deal with Bill Gates, that fuck. My Zune is badass, I have Dell and HP computers that run fine, and yep, life is good outside of Apple Nation.

Also, I really don't see the appeal of a semi-computer that has no USB or Flash. And I never want to read iBooks.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,283
    A cellphone and a small laptop is going to give you more functionality and practicality than the iPad.

The iPad is a giant waste of time IMO.

Pretty sure Apple could put out pretty much anything these days and it would sell a quarter million on the first day. Don't get me wrong, Apple has put out some cool stuff, but the iPad was pretty weak IMO.
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,952
    kenny olav wrote:
    Also, I really don't see the appeal of a semi-computer that has no USB or Flash. And I never want to read iBooks.

Even if I was in the market for something like this, the no Flash/USB and minimal multi-tasking would annoy the hell out of me. I mean 90% of what I use my laptop for is watching movies or TV shows. If I can't use flash I can't watch tv shows that stream either on any of the tv network's sites or on youtube. WIth no USB and I would assume no dvd drive, I can't watch movies from a DVD either directly or transferring. And with minimal multitasking, I can't download something (ie a torrent) in the background while doing something else.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    rrivers wrote:

no, just 3 or 4 books that don't require a euorpean traveller adapter to recharge them... although you are american so perhaps you wont need those travel adapters ;)

I have no idea what you do on your vacation but why would you want to sit in front of a monitor and read thousands of books simultaneously?

for the record, i use Apple Macs at work all day, i have an iPod thingy.... i'm not anti-apple at all... but this thing is just a gimmick. It's an expensive book... nobody else has pointed out one more thing it can do that makes me want it. It's a giant book. thats it?

I prefer my paperbacks still.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    I think I'll eventually replace my laptop with one...

Right now we have 2 laptops... one newer one for daily use, web browsing on the couch, paying bills, everyday crap. The other is a much older one in my basement, that basically is just a file/print server and gets occasional use.

I'm thinking that when the older one finally goes, I will put the newer one down there in a little office area, and have the iPad for surfing, e-mail, photos, etc. in our living room. Maybe by Christmas, a 2nd gen one will be out for cheaper.

Can the iPad access network drives for files or does everything have to be on there?
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    dunkman wrote:
    rrivers wrote:

no, just 3 or 4 books that don't require a euorpean traveller adapter to recharge them... although you are american so perhaps you wont need those travel adapters ;)

I have no idea what you do on your vacation but why would you want to sit in front of a monitor and read thousands of books simultaneously?

Why would anyone need to take thousands of songs with them on an iPod? Why not just 3 or 4 cds?

Convenience. 8-)
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    edited April 2010
    dunkman wrote:

Why would anyone need to take thousands of songs with them on an iPod? Why not just 3 or 4 cds?

Convenience. 8-)
    CDs don't really make the same argument. Who would finish multiple books on vacation? And who has (other than students I guess) many books on the go at once, too?
    dunkman wrote:

Convenience. 8-)

what's convenient about having a big screen in front of you that needs recharged every so often?

and you're comparison is weak amigo.... songs last about 4 minutes long... you can shuffle 40,000 songs and skip the ones you don't want to listen to, etc etc etc...

having 40,000 books on an electronic library is convenient on a vacation how? If i buy "Grapes of Wrath" to take on holiday its because I want to read it... and i will... and then after that one i finished i might go onto the next book i brought on holiday with me. The only difference is you might read the first 10 pages of "Grapes of Wrath" and then think its not that great a book.. and then go on to something else... which is cool i grant thee... but is it really worth all that money and hassle just so you dont have to read "grapes of wrath'?

Plus i like to read a book.. just as some people like vinyl... but if the only plus side to this IPad is the ability to look up an online library and read whatever then i'm quite happy without one thanks :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    edited April 2010
    dunkman wrote:
    what's convenient about having a big screen in front of you that needs recharged every so often?

and you're comparison is weak amigo.... songs last about 4 minutes long... you can shuffle 40,000 songs and skip the ones you don't want to listen to, etc etc etc...

having 40,000 books on an electronic library is convenient on a vacation how? If i buy "Grapes of Wrath" to take on holiday its because I want to read it... and i will... and then after that one i finished i might go onto the next book i brought on holiday with me. The only difference is you might read the first 10 pages of "Grapes of Wrath" and then think its not that great a book.. and then go on to something else... which is cool i grant thee... but is it really worth all that money and hassle just so you dont have to read "grapes of wrath'?

Plus i like to read a book.. just as some people like vinyl... but if the only plus side to this IPad is the ability to look up an online library and read whatever then i'm quite happy without one thanks :)
    Using it on vacation is just an example, so don't look into it much.. on the train, bus, at work, business trip, school, whenever..

And the thing lasts 8 hrs between charges. I don't know anyone who reads for 8 hrs straight.

Some people don't exactly have room for thousands of books in their home too.

I'm just trying to justify this thing. I'm not saying I've been completely sold on it yet.
    Post edited by LikeAnOcean on
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    it's not my time of the month yet
    dunkman wrote:

Using it on vacation is just an example, so don't look into it much.. on the train, bus, at work, business trip, school, whenever..

And the thing lasts 8 hrs between charges. I don't know anyone who reads for 8 hrs straight.

Some people don't exactly have room for thousands of books in their home too.

I'm just trying to justify this thing. I'm not saying I've been completely sold on it yet.

on a train, bus, work or travelling i'd still rather carry about a small paperback book than the iPad...

i don't keep thousands of books either, but i know what you meant... all my books are read, if i enjoyed a book greatly then i keep, otherwise i pass them on or give them to a charity shop or something.

it's the computer equivalent of a man... it cannot multi-task ;)
  • Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    Curious how the on-screen keyboard works? You either have to have long ass thumbs or go back to the old hunt and peck style of typing. I doubt anyone will plug in a physical keyboard while on the train, might as well have a laptop.... I really don't see the need for this, basically an over-sized iTouch for Senior Citizens with cataracts....
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • StarfallStarfall Posts: 548
    dunkman wrote:
    on a train, bus, work or travelling i'd still rather carry about a small paperback book than the iPad...

i don't keep thousands of books either, but i know what you meant... all my books are read, if i enjoyed a book greatly then i keep, otherwise i pass them on or give them to a charity shop or something.

I'm not sold on the iPad either, but when was the last time you used a paperback book to check your email, listen to music, or both at the same time? :lol:
    "It's not hard to own something. Or everything. You just have to know that it's yours, and then be willing to let it go." - Neil Gaiman, "Stardust"
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Starfall wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

I'm not sold on the iPad either, but when was the last time you used a paperback book to check your email, listen to music, or both at the same time? :lol:

i didn't think the iwhatever could multitask?
    kenny olav wrote:
    I've never purchased an Apple product and don't think I ever will. Maybe the biggest reason is Steve Jobs has forever creeped me out. Dude is always wearing that same black mock turtleneck and blue jeans, which is stupid of course, but it's his demeanor that really bothers me. He's just a creepy fucking weirdo. Their ads have always felt like hype to me. I'd rather deal with Bill Gates, that fuck. My Zune is badass, I have Dell and HP computers that run fine, and yep, life is good outside of Apple Nation.

I could care less who runs a company if they put out a good product. My ipod is the greatest thing I've ever purchased.
    dunkman wrote:
    rrivers wrote:

I prefer my paperbacks still.

Me too and I don't think the argument comparing an e-reader to an ipod holding thousands of songs holds water. Over a trip you can listen to thousands of songs. Very few people are going to read more than five books on a trip and most people won't even finish one.

Sorry, Rygar, I see you made my point. I should read the whole thread before commenting. :D
    Starfall wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

Why do we have to do everything at the same time? I'm fairly smart but it would be very difficult for me to read a book and check my email at the same time.
    Starfall wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

i don't. But then you couldnt do that with the IPad either i believe? It's a one function at a time kinda thing isnt it? even if it could... I don't check email every 5 minutes as 1) I'm not into that whole viagra for $1 offer and 2) I'm not at work and it could wait till i was at home ;)

I listen to music on my iPod... which is a small compact thing i can put in my pocket. I can't put the iPad in my pocket.

but then all of this is moot. I cant read, listen to music and read at the same time... i'm a man. :mrgreen:
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    Curious how the on-screen keyboard works? You either have to have long ass thumbs or go back to the old hunt and peck style of typing. I doubt anyone will plug in a physical keyboard while on the train, might as well have a laptop.... I really don't see the need for this, basically an over-sized iTouch for Senior Citizens with cataracts....

This is what I've thought as well. It doesn't seem that a larger touch keyboard could be typed on any faster than the two thumb method that you use on the phone. Since it doesn't have physical keys, it will be difficult to type as you could on a normal keyboard.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.