Hey Pittsburgh

13»

Comments

• CranMalReignCranMalReign Posts: 1,928
    evenflow93 wrote:
    This is stupid :arrow: When ar they coming to Pitt?

+1
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 03 Pgh|Philly|PSU|Camden 1+2|Hershey
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 08 Camden 1+2|Hartford|Mansfield 2
    • 09 Philly 1 [EV]|Toronto|Spectrum 1-4
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 13 London|Pgh|Buff|Philly 1+2|Balt
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 16 Philly 1+2|Philly 2 [TotD]
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    pittsburgh=beautiful city of the future
    philadelphia=garbage filled city from america's past[/quote]

funny, the philly metro area gained population from 2000-2009, while the pittsburgh metro area (along with detroit and cleveland) lost population during this time. Philly also has the Comcast Tower, which is the largest green building in the US.

Not sure who said that philly is in a bad spot being between NY and DC, but that couldn't be further from the truth. Being located along 95 gives us the opportunity to get to other cities with great ease. I can be in NYC in 1.5 hours by train. Baltimore, DC, NY, Hartford, Boston are all short drives. Makes it convenient to travel for sporting events and concerts. And of course we have the beach and mountains near by. A little bit of everything. Pitt has West Virginia and Cleveland.

Like I said, I don't hate pittsburgh. I'll be out there visiting friends the weekend of 5/8, then heading to cleveland to see PJ (would be much more convenient if they played pittsburgh). If anyone wants to meet on sunday before the show to have a few beers, I'm game. Debating this topic here has become a lost cause.
  • this is not a debate. that would be if somebody started a pennsylvania themed thread and we all went there and discussed the merrits and drawbacks of various cities respectfully

what we have is a pittsburgh thread thread being overrun by folks from philly to trash and debase our fair city.
    thats called an attack

in return the pittsburghers in this thread fired back some rather unsavory opinions about philly. thats defending ourselves

that being said. its all just chatter, face to face we're all good folks. have fun here in pgh, i got plenty of sugestions of yer lookin for somethin dope to do. and we will all be headin to cleveland from here as well so we can all look forward to that!!!

now back to the topic at hand...pittsburgh!!! who here loves a good sammy's famous!?!?
    and fuck me if I say somethin you dont wanna hear, fuck me!
    and fuck me if you only hear what you wanna hear
    fuck me...if I care...but im not leavin here
  • airblue1airblue1 Posts: 404
    People are moving to Philly becuause the housing market has caused them to leave NYC and DC. So they can commute to those areas and have cheap housing in Philly. But man I think I would kick that job instead of living in Philly!
    Hail To the Victors
    I refer to those in front...
  • MG79478MG79478 Posts: 1,667
    Hey how many times has PJ played Pittsburgh recently compared to Philadelphia?

This is about the dumbest argument ever, given Philly's location between NYC, DC, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh. But I will humor you.... They stopped in Philly in 2009, They played Pittsburgh in 2006, Both in 2005, Pittsburgh in 2003, 2000, and 1998. Seems like 5-2 in favor of Pittsburgh for "recent" stops in the cities respectivly.
  • MG79478 wrote:
    Hey how many times has PJ played Pittsburgh recently compared to Philadelphia?

This is about the dumbest argument ever, given Philly's location between NYC, DC, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh. But I will humor you.... They stopped in Philly in 2009, They played Pittsburgh in 2006, Both in 2005, Pittsburgh in 2003, 2000, and 1998. Seems like 5-2 in favor of Pittsburgh for "recent" stops in the cities respectivly.

Ok, I promise to stop, and agree with the other posters that this thread should not turn in to a philly vs. pittsburgh debate; however I must continue one last time because I've been accused of making the "dumbest argument ever."

I suppose you aren't considering the Camden shows to be Philadelphia shows, which is fine. But along that line of reasoning, the Post Gazette Pavilion shows aren't technically in Pittsburgh, so scratch a few of those away. Or, you can include the Camden and Burgettstown shows, and add 10 shows (2 in 98, 2 in 00, 2 in 03, 2 in 06, 2 in 08) to the philadelphia count from 98 to present. Also, I believe you are forgetting the Spectrum show in '03. Finally, they play Philadelphia multiple nights. So you have to factor in that they played Philadelphia 4 times in 2009.

I love both towns! Just trying to defend Philadelphia and my comments.
    Ok, I promise to stop, and agree with the other posters that this thread should not turn in to a philly vs. pittsburgh debate; however I must continue one last time because I've been accused of making the "dumbest argument ever."

I suppose you aren't considering the Camden shows to be Philadelphia shows, which is fine. But along that line of reasoning, the Post Gazette Pavilion shows aren't technically in Pittsburgh, so scratch a few of those away. Or, you can include the Camden and Burgettstown shows, and add 10 shows (2 in 98, 2 in 00, 2 in 03, 2 in 06, 2 in 08) to the philadelphia count from 98 to present. Also, I believe you are forgetting the Spectrum show in '03. Finally, they play Philadelphia multiple nights. So you have to factor in that they played Philadelphia 4 times in 2009.

I love both towns! Just trying to defend Philadelphia and my comments.

You homed in on the fact that I called it the dumbest argument ever, but seemed to ignore what made it so. They don't play Philly because they have some huge love of the city, they play there because of it's geographically located near many major cities.

I agree, I forgot the spectrum show in 2003. I always forget that show because I missed it due to work travel. So that changes the score to 5-3. Camden is in a completely different state! Burgettstown shows = Pittsburgh. If you don't believe me, ask the band. I just pulled out some official Camden and Burgettstown boots. The Burgettstown says "Pittsburgh", the Camden says "Camden". As for multiple nights, i do not have to factor that in, because I am talking "stops" in a city. It does it not make sense to count the multiple nights when considering tour stops, especially since they are only a function of the cities geographic location.
  • CranMalReignCranMalReign Posts: 1,928
    MG79478 wrote:
    Camden is in a completely different state! Burgettstown shows = Pittsburgh. If you don't believe me, ask the band. I just pulled out some official Camden and Burgettstown boots. The Burgettstown says "Pittsburgh", the Camden says "Camden".

Like I've said before, I'm a Pgh native living near Philly, and have a deep preference for the 'Burgh. Having said that... I'm sorry dude, but this is nonsense. Burgettstown is 30 effing miles from Pittsburgh. Camden is just across the river. The fact that it's across a state line is purely arbitrary. It's not like Camden is a huge tourist draw or anything. When PJ plays Camden, it's not to the exclusion of Philly... It's because it's the nearest sizable outdoor venue to Philadelphia. Camden shows = Philly shows.

In fact, if you listen to those "Camden" boots you cited the covers of, you'll typically hear Ed refer to the show as being in Philly then make some wisecrack like "or New Jersey... where are we?" with appropriate cheers and jeers from the crowd.
    MG79478 wrote:
    As for multiple nights, i do not have to factor that in, because I am talking "stops" in a city. It does it not make sense to count the multiple nights when considering tour stops, especially since they are only a function of the cities geographic location.

I will agree with this, however, and also add in the population factor. Honestly, though, I still think the "how many times have they stopped at your city?" is a pretty dumb argument... sorry dude. That has nothing to do with how good a certain place is and everything to do with how much coin the band can scrape up there. If number of tour stops were really a good indicator of perceived value of a particular city, don't you think there'd be a lot more Honolulu stops since 98 than Philly ones? :roll:
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 03 Pgh|Philly|PSU|Camden 1+2|Hershey
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 08 Camden 1+2|Hartford|Mansfield 2
    • 09 Philly 1 [EV]|Toronto|Spectrum 1-4
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 13 London|Pgh|Buff|Philly 1+2|Balt
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 16 Philly 1+2|Philly 2 [TotD]
    • 18 Boston 1+2
    Burgettstown is 30 effing miles from Pittsburgh. Camden is just across the river.

In fact, if you listen to those "Camden" boots you cited the covers of, you'll typically hear Ed refer to the show as being in Philly then make some wisecrack like "or New Jersey... where are we?" with appropriate cheers and jeers from the crowd.

I will agree with this, however, and also add in the population factor. Honestly, though, I still think the "how many times have they stopped at your city?" is a pretty dumb argument... sorry dude. That has nothing to do with how good a certain place is and everything to do with how much coin the band can scrape up there. If number of tour stops were really a good indicator of perceived value of a particular city, don't you think there'd be a lot more Honolulu stops since 98 than Philly ones? :roll:

And when they play Burgettstown, they call it Pittsburgh. It can take just as long to get from Philly to Camden across the Ben Franklin as it takes to get Burgettstown. It has taken me up to 2 hours to get back to Philly from a PJ show in camden. Not to mention Camden is in a completely different state!

Don't apologize to me, I called the "how many times they stopped in Philly" argument the dumbest ever quite a few posts ago. In fact, you do nothing but agree with my point that Philly is just between a bunch of major cities. I purposely did not mention that it was soley for "how much coin" they can scrape up because it is intuitively obvious in the arguement that they are playing near population centers.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Don't apologize to me, I called the "how many times they stopped in Philly" argument the dumbest ever quite a few posts ago. In fact, you do nothing but agree with my point that Philly is just between a bunch of major cities. I purposely did not mention that it was soley for "how much coin" they can scrape up because it is intuitively obvious in the arguement that they are playing near population centers.[/quote]

Philly has the 5th largest metro population in the US. I'd consider that a major city
  • Who cares lets all just hope we get them to play pennsylvania. We all love the band both pittsburgh and philly. But would kill to have them back in the burgh. :D
  • legates54legates54 Posts: 72
    If you are luck Ben Rothlesberger will be there to hang his junk out and put his hand up your skirt while his boys keep your friends out of the room.
    Dream the dreams of other men...You will be no ones rival

28 times and rocked them all
  • mbangel10mbangel10 Posts: 548
    The Fixer wrote:
    Don't apologize to me, I called the "how many times they stopped in Philly" argument the dumbest ever quite a few posts ago. In fact, you do nothing but agree with my point that Philly is just between a bunch of major cities. I purposely did not mention that it was soley for "how much coin" they can scrape up because it is intuitively obvious in the arguement that they are playing near population centers.

Philly has the 5th largest metro population in the US. I'd consider that a major city[/quote]

It's now at #6. Phoenix bumped Philly out of the top 5 a few years ago.

In all honesty the entire Pitt vs. Philly debate is kind of silly. We're comparing a city with a population of 335,000 to a city with 1.54 million people. Philly is a great city (in some areas) with diversity and a lot of history. It has all the advantages a major US city can offer. However, it needs a LOT of work. If you've ever left downtown and visited Northeast Philly, you know what I'm saying. The crime rate is very high, cost of living is high, and the inner city neighborhoods are dirty and dilapidated. This isn't uncommon in major cities but it does make Philly a bit worse for wear. However, downtown is awesome. I love the selection of shops, restaurants, museums, and music venues.

Pittsburgh is a mid-size city that is improving but can't retain it's population. We are one of the few cities in the country that is actually "downsizing" to fit the population drop. They are tearing down the condemned buildings, old shopping centers, and row houses to put in parks, recreation areas, art galleries, etc.... Why? Because even if they fixed them up, there is no one to move in. They are making the neighborhoods better for those that stay, and aren't planning for any out of towners moving in anytime soon. Culturally we are the top in mid-sized cities... just nobody knows it. The cost of living is very low, so you do get more bang for your buck here. I've compared rents and home prices to other cities and I'm always blown away by how much less it costs in Pitt. I guess that's the incentive to try getting people to live and STAY here. LOL
    Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11
    Hail To the Victors
    However, now that the flyers and penguins have moved on I would like to officially thank you Filthy for getting rid of the devils good luck against Ovenchoken
    GO PENS
    Hail To the Victors
  • gndcd402gndcd402 Posts: 2,561
    airblue1 wrote:
    However, now that the flyers and penguins have moved on I would like to officially thank you Filthy for getting rid of the devils good luck against Ovenchoken
    GO PENS
    don't get too ahead of yourself...the crapitals aren't playing very well and montreal is a desperate team. i wouldnt be surprised to see it go to 7 games.

fyi, i officially hate the capitals more than philly. i can't find one ounce of respect for a team or fans of a team whos star specifically targets other players and slanders them (look at his recent comment of halak), picks out players from other teams and attempts to injure them (see letang from last years playoffs), walks out of his way and purposely pushes a camera into the face of one of his fans (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYBOVvsnKV0&feature=fvw), or finally sprays ice onto a 6 year old montreal kid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Pv9VD_5Ew)

classy guy...
    Dude what was up with the spray. He gets away with too much.
    Hail To the Victors