Hey Pittsburgh

Comments

• gndcd402gndcd402 Posts: 2,561
    airblue1 wrote:
    Totally agree Ovenchoken doesn't get anything even after the cheap empty netter Tuesday night
    Bring on the Sens as we make our way back to the Stanley Cup
    hate to say it but i don't see us going very far. fleury is way too inconsistent this year and malkin has just been phoning it in all season. u know crosby will be amazing in the playoffs as usual, i am just hoping malkin and fleury decide to show up too. the sens will be tough too, they were on a tear late in the season!
  • airblue1airblue1 Posts: 404
    I totally agree MAF has let in way too many soft goals and Malkin has been injured or inconsistent, but you know this group is capable of doing anything once in the tournament. It will be interesting how they respond if they get behind in a game or the series. That will tell the tale of the 09-10 Penguins. Keep the faith and if you do get the beard ready. I cannot its a professional thing. GO PENS!!! :ugeek:
    Hail To the Victors
    I refer to those in front...
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    edited April 2010
    gndcd402 wrote:
    airblue1 wrote:
    PNC Park is the hot chick with no brain
    who steals money off of their boyfriend (the entire city). seriously...im going to one game this year because my german friend will be in town and i will wear a paper bag over my head to that game...the owners will continue to run a shit team but because they pay so little they still profit :evil: SELL THE PIRATES TO LEMIEUX/BURKLE OR MARK CUBAN

almost lost your hockey team, you're gonna lose your baseball team. sucks, pittsburgh is better than that...and PNC Park is beautiful. Pitt is a brutal city to visit because it's so difficult to maneuver (no subway, airport an hour from city...hotels are ridiculously expensive for a small city), but it's still a great american city.

philly doesn't hate pittsburgh, not sure why pitt hates philly.
    Post edited by The Fixer on
    gndcd402 wrote:
    airblue1 wrote:
    Totally agree Ovenchoken doesn't get anything even after the cheap empty netter Tuesday night
    Bring on the Sens as we make our way back to the Stanley Cup
    hate to say it but i don't see us going very far. fleury is way too inconsistent this year and malkin has just been phoning it in all season. u know crosby will be amazing in the playoffs as usual, i am just hoping malkin and fleury decide to show up too. the sens will be tough too, they were on a tear late in the season!

pens are better than dc. pitt is by far best team in the east. seriously, I wouldn't sweat the caps...their goalie is worse than boucher

go flyers (even though they're getting swept).
    MG79478 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    last time I checked you go outside to watch baseball.

PSU isn't far from philly. my wife went there. and to say PSU has one of the best sports programs in the US is a joke. Their baseball and basketball teams stink.

Temple hoops was in the tourney this year (PSU wasn't).
    So you have a TV outside to watch all 162 baseball games? Or do you have season tickets and go to every away game? What if they play in Toronto?

Of course PSU isn't far from Philly, thank you for enlightening us! But it's about an hour closer to Pittsburgh. What was the point of posting that? Do you really think that we didn't know they were in the same state?

PSU destroyed Temple in football (the only sport that really matters) and has the greatest women's VB team in the history of the sport. See how easy it is to cherry pick? But we don't have to, someone has ranked schools for us. I guess you have never heard of the Director's cup? The NACDA Learfield Sports Directors' Cup is an award given annually by the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics to the colleges and universities with the most success in collegiate athletics. Penn State always ranks very highly. Why here is a list that has them currently at #3.

You really should have some idea what you are talking about before you go spouting off.
    The Fixer wrote:
    any steelers get arrested yet this week?
    Any team that has Vick on it has no room to talk. And if you were actually paying attention, you would know that Ben has not been arrested for anything, just accused. Have fun waiting 20+ more years for your next championship!

haha, he brought womens sports into it...not even sports, womens volleyball. wow

on vick, touche. he'll be gone by the draft, just like holmes (that trade was dumb for pitt). vick stinks
  • MG79478MG79478 Posts: 1,667
    The Fixer wrote:
    haha, he brought womens sports into it...not even sports, womens volleyball. wow

on vick, touche. he'll be gone by the draft, just like holmes (that trade was dumb for pitt). vick stinks

So you are sexist? Or would you rather just look at sweaty men?

BTW, PSU women's VB team is on one of the most impressive win streaks in the history of all sports!

So last week, you are bashing the Steelers for them getting arrested. This week, after they trade Holmes because of his run-ins with the law, you call it dumb. That is terribly inconsistent of you! Also, in case you missed it, no charges against Ben!
    The Fixer wrote:

Because Pittsburgh is a great place, Philly is not. It's pretty simple. It's like wondering why someone doesn't like Detroit!
    Sorry Filthy at least you have the Phillies out of the 8 sports teams in town
    Hail To the Victors
    MG79478 wrote:
    Because Pittsburgh is a great place, Philly is not. It's pretty simple. It's like wondering why someone doesn't like Detroit!
    well spoken! :)
    The Fixer wrote:
    pens are better than dc. pitt is by far best team in the east. seriously, I wouldn't sweat the caps...their goalie is worse than boucher

i'm not sweating washington, but i deathly fear the devils. i think talent-wise, we definitely have the best team in the NHL. but the thing that has been plaguing the pens all year is that they don't play up to their potential...hopefully that changes in the playoffs! i'm actually hoping philly beats the devils...the only team in the league that we cant beat.

and for the record, roethlisberger is a complete scumbag. i don't care if you're a steeler fan or not, he's a piece of shit that needs to go.
    WoW did the Pens look flat. They needed some fix a flat and Fed needs some Red Bull. As far as the Steelers go Big Ben made a mistake or two I guess we should just cut him and hope we have angels on the field in the NFL. He better calm his ass down. Go Steelers Go Pens but the Pens might not be around much longer if they play like they played tonight. Hopefully that was a wake up call.
    Hail To the Victors
  • gndcd402 wrote:
    MG79478 wrote:

I am a lurker, I don't feel the need to post often. I just hate how you come down on my hometown all of the time, so completely, because you were offended by Flyers fans. That's a pretty wide sweep of a paint brush that is pretty narrow-sighted. Philadelphia is more than a bunch of booing sports fans just like Pittsburgh is more than a provincial, conservative blue collar steel town.

I am from Philadelphia and love Pittsburgh. I just find my Pittsburgh friends to be pretty ostracizing at times.... I am not much of a sportsnut and I am from Philly. So when Pittsburgh sportsnuts hate all of Philadelphia and taunt us about the Stanley Cup (who cares, it's a sport and we're on a pearl jam forum :D ), it irritates me. I try to keep composure on here and read a bit to get info without posting much. But come on! You can't hate millions of people over a game. We're not all that bad. Stop hating. Sanks!
  • gndcd402 wrote:
    MG79478 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

i'm not sweating washington, but i deathly fear the devils. i think talent-wise, we definitely have the best team in the NHL. but the thing that has been plaguing the pens all year is that they don't play up to their potential...hopefully that changes in the playoffs! i'm actually hoping philly beats the devils...the only team in the league that we cant beat.

and for the record, roethlisberger is a complete scumbag. i don't care if you're a steeler fan or not, he's a piece of shit that needs to go.

And by not posting often, I quoted the wrong perp. I read gndcd402 talkin Philly smack all da time! My b. Hey Pixburgh, no beef. Just stop bringing Philly into a "Hey Pittsburgh" thread.
    And by not posting often, I quoted the wrong perp. I read gndcd402 talkin Philly smack all da time! My b. Hey Pixburgh, no beef. Just stop bringing Philly into a "Hey Pittsburgh" thread.
    glad to see somebody follows my posts :P my reasons for hating philly are much more than just the flyers fans, although they are definitely a part of it, but whatev, thats for another time and place :lol:

oh and airblue, that game tonight was P-A-T-H-E-T-I-C
    MG79478 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

So you are sexist? Or would you rather just look at sweaty men?

BTW, PSU women's VB team is on one of the most impressive win streaks in the history of all sports!

So last week, you are bashing the Steelers for them getting arrested. This week, after they trade Holmes because of his run-ins with the law, you call it dumb. That is terribly inconsistent of you! Also, in case you missed it, no charges against Ben!
    The Fixer wrote:

I'm not sexist, but I could care less about womens sports.

I give the steelers credit for cutting ties with holmes. especially when they could have gotten more for him.

your last sentence is just absurd. you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but philly is a world class city with so much to offer.

I'll never understand the hatred that people from the burgh have towards philly. pittsburgh isn't my favorite place to visit, but that is mainly because it's such a pain in the ass to get around out there. I'm out there for work quite a bit and the people couldn't be nicer
    airblue1 wrote:
    Sorry Filthy at least you have the Phillies out of the 8 sports teams in town

4 major sports and we have one team in each league. just like any other major US city (sans LA)

would pittsburgh fight for the pirates if they threatened to leave the city? I know that their small crowds are due to 20 consecutive losing seasons. However not only do people from pittsburgh not go to the games, it doesn't seem like anyone out there even cares about baseball.
  • fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    does pittsburgh have a basketball team? i think basketball is the worst sport ever.... next to football... so i am totally ignorant when it comes to the nba.
    ps
    if the pens lose the series to the sens i'm going to drive to pittsburgh and punch malkin in the face.
  • shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,182
    GO Black Hawks!!!!!!!!
    The Fixer wrote:
    I'll never understand the hatred that people from the burgh have towards philly. pittsburgh isn't my favorite place to visit, but that is mainly because it's such a pain in the ass to get around out there. I'm out there for work quite a bit and the people couldn't be nicer

I already explained this to you, and you just ignored it. It's not hatred of Philly, It's just not a nice place to visit, and your inferiority complex gets old.

What is really funny, is you keep pushing the "it's hard to get around Pittsburgh" thing. In comparision to Philly, it couldn't be further from the truth. It's impossible to get lost in Pittsburgh. You can't go a mile without hitting a river. Philly on the other hand is a nightmare to get around. Yeah yeah, I know you learned in grade school that it was the first "planned city", so you think it is easy to get around. It's just sprawling, it's very easy to get lost, especially if traveling way outside the city to the sports complex. I'm not even going to get in to streets like Passyunk Ave. The traffic is terrible, and you have to be careful what section of town you wonder in to. Parking is no fun, in fact they have a TV show dedicted to how crappy Philly parking is. The subway is probably the worst in the nation. It's so bad that everyone I know in the city pretty much pretends like it doesn't exist.
  • CranMalReignCranMalReign Posts: 1,928
    MG79478 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I already explained this to you, and you just ignored it. It's not hatred of Philly, It's just not a nice place to visit, and your inferiority complex gets old.

What is really funny, is you keep pushing the "it's hard to get around Pittsburgh" thing. In comparision to Philly, it couldn't be further from the truth. It's impossible to get lost in Pittsburgh. You can't go a mile without hitting a river. Philly on the other hand is a nightmare to get around. Yeah yeah, I know you learned in grade school that it was the first "planned city", so you think it is easy to get around. It's just sprawling, it's very easy to get lost, especially if traveling way outside the city to the sports complex. I'm not even going to get in to streets like Passyunk Ave. The traffic is terrible, and you have to be careful what section of town you wonder in to. Parking is no fun, in fact they have a TV show dedicted to how crappy Philly parking is. The subway is probably the worst in the nation. It's so bad that everyone I know in the city pretty much pretends like it doesn't exist.

As a Pittsburgh native of 21 years and current Philly 'burbs resident of 10 years, I don't think I could agree with this statement less. My mind is melted trying to get around by car in Pgh. Sure, if you're on foot, you can find just about anything, due to size and rivers (assuming you're down town). But if you're trying to drive somewhere, good luck!

At least downtown Philly is a logical grid... if you miss a turn, you already pretty much know exactly what you have to do to get back on the right track. Sure, there are exceptions... but in Pittsburgh, the "common sense" way is the exception. I've also never had trouble w/ the Philly mass transit.

Having said that: LET'S GO PENS!!! Here's to hoping they get the chance to end the Cryers' season yet again!
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 03 Pgh|Philly|PSU|Camden 1+2|Hershey
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 08 Camden 1+2|Hartford|Mansfield 2
    • 09 Philly 1 [EV]|Toronto|Spectrum 1-4
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 13 London|Pgh|Buff|Philly 1+2|Balt
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 16 Philly 1+2|Philly 2 [TotD]
    • 18 Boston 1+2
    As a Pittsburgh native of 21 years and current Philly 'burbs resident of 10 years, I don't think I could agree with this statement less. My mind is melted trying to get around by car in Pgh. Sure, if you're on foot, you can find just about anything, due to size and rivers (assuming you're down town). But if you're trying to drive somewhere, good luck!

At least downtown Philly is a logical grid... if you miss a turn, you already pretty much know exactly what you have to do to get back on the right track. Sure, there are exceptions... but in Pittsburgh, the "common sense" way is the exception. I've also never had trouble w/ the Philly mass transit.

Having said that: LET'S GO PENS!!! Here's to hoping they get the chance to end the Cryers' season yet again!
    Obviously I disagree. This is the era of GPS, and it is easier to get around a smaller, safer city, with less traffic. Besides, All the stuff worth doing in Pittsburgh is not located downtown, so you really have no reason to ever be down there. Getting anywhere else, such as the stadiums, strip district, or to Station square is very easy. Plus you don't really have to worry about wandering in to the wrong neighborhood. Don't forget what a mess it is getting to Philly, from pretty much any direction, 76, 95, etc. And if you want to fly, and I have done a lot of business travel, you avoid flying through Philly at all cost. It's a mess.

As for the subway, compare it to Boston, Chicago (the El), D.C., New York, and even foreign cities I have been to. Philly's subway is just well below any other subway I have ever traveled on. I could say that "I never had a problem with it", but that still doesn't make it a good subway system.
  • [/quote]

As for the subway, compare it to Boston, Chicago (the El), D.C., New York, and even foreign cities I have been to. Philly's subway is just well below any other subway I have ever traveled on. I could say that "I never had a problem with it", but that still doesn't make it a good subway system.[/quote]

And how does the Philadelphia subway compare to Pittsburgh's?
    Pittsburgh is a bitch to get around in with a car. So many one way streets and of course the 5 way intersections! :lol:
    edited April 2010
    MG79478 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

you need to let go of some of that anger brotha. join a gym or something.

I am just trying to understand why people from the western part of the state dislike the eastern part of the state so much. I can assure you that the majority of philadelphians do not reciprocate your negative feelings.

also, listen to the others from the burgh...they are telling you how difficult it is to get around out there. I can't imagine having to drive an hour outside the city to get to the closest major airport
    Post edited by The Fixer on
    MG79478 wrote:

Obviously I disagree. This is the era of GPS, and it is easier to get around a smaller, safer city, with less traffic. Besides, All the stuff worth doing in Pittsburgh is not located downtown, so you really have no reason to ever be down there. Getting anywhere else, such as the stadiums, strip district, or to Station square is very easy. Plus you don't really have to worry about wandering in to the wrong neighborhood. Don't forget what a mess it is getting to Philly, from pretty much any direction, 76, 95, etc. And if you want to fly, and I have done a lot of business travel, you avoid flying through Philly at all cost. It's a mess.

As for the subway, compare it to Boston, Chicago (the El), D.C., New York, and even foreign cities I have been to. Philly's subway is just well below any other subway I have ever traveled on. I could say that "I never had a problem with it", but that still doesn't make it a good subway system.

philly has an El too. the regional rail/subway system here is quite expansive and easy to use.
  • i got lots of friends from philly too. and straight up all there is is shit talking between us BOTH WAYS!!!

now among my friends its all good natured and in fun. but outside of friendly environs it gets downright nasty. my gf livedc there for about 3 yrs and i was there 2 or 3 wknds a month more or less. there were many MANY occasions where i was verbally abused and treated poorly and oquite a few where i started looking for nearest exits or readying myself to rumble. and trust me i know pittsburghers can be abusive as well! but hey thats what you get with rivalrys

mostly people in both cities understand what it is and can let it go at that. occasionally you get people who really got somethin to prove and you get a thread like this

but to say philly doesnt have it in for pgh is a blatant lie. yer not foolin anyone with your "we're so innocent and injured by you pittsburghers" rap

in summary:
    rooneys/steelers=good
    ben=baaaaaaaaaaaaad
    eagles...well who really cares about what happens in the nfc til superbowl time right?

pens=champs
    fliers=chumps

pittsburgh=beautiful city of the future
    philadelphia=garbage filled city from america's past
    and fuck me if I say somethin you dont wanna hear, fuck me!
    and fuck me if you only hear what you wanna hear
    fuck me...if I care...but im not leavin here
  • mbangel10mbangel10 Posts: 548
    The Fixer wrote:
    MG79478 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I am just trying to understand why people from the western part of the state dislike the eastern part of the state so much. I can assure you that the majority of philadelphians do not reciprocate your negative feelings.

also, listen to the others from the burgh...they are telling you how difficult it is to get around out there. I can't imagine having to drive an hour outside the city to get to the closest major airport

It takes about 25 minutes to get from downtown Pittsburgh to the airport... unless it's rush hour, then it could take 45, maybe an hour if it's really bad traffic (this has only happened to me ONCE by the way... even in rush hour it's usually around 30 at most). What way do you go that it could possibly take an hour every single time? I drive it all of the time, so your statement is just baffling to me.

It takes about 20 minutes to get from downtown Philly to the airport, unless your stuck in rush hour then it could take 45+ minutes or well over an hour depending on how bad it is.I do this all of the time... so I'm calling it about even.

Philly is my second home, seriously. I'm there 9-12 days a month, and I spend more time at both of those airports than most people ever will.
    Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11
  • This is stupid :arrow: When ar they coming to Pitt?
    mbangel10 wrote:
    It takes about 25 minutes to get from downtown Pittsburgh to the airport... unless it's rush hour, then it could take 45, maybe an hour if it's really bad traffic (this has only happened to me ONCE by the way... even in rush hour it's usually around 30 at most). What way do you go that it could possibly take an hour every single time? I drive it all of the time, so your statement is just baffling to me.

It takes about 20 minutes to get from downtown Philly to the airport, unless your stuck in rush hour then it could take 45+ minutes or well over an hour depending on how bad it is.I do this all of the time... so I'm calling it about even.

Philly is my second home, seriously. I'm there 9-12 days a month, and I spend more time at both of those airports than most people ever will.
    when will u visit me?! i live right by the airport in good ole moon township! the parkways blow, thats a well known fact! thank god for my secret backroad shortcuts :twisted:

and pj needs to play star lake/post gazette/first niagara pavilion BADLY! or maybe a two night stand in an open roofed mellon arena...
    I dont know why they call the highways, parkways, however I will say this I have never had a problem getting around in city and I have been to a lot, look it up on tripadvisor bitches. But I can tell you this filthadelphia is just simply in a bad spot. Considering your location between DC and NYC, thus creating your own distain and almost hatred for the lush green acres of W. Pa. This type of "little mans" syndrome has allowed you to take it out on your "lil brother" to the west Pittsburgh.
    We have sports titles, G20 summit, green buildings and yours and my favorite Sidney Crosby. With all this said, I have been to Filthy, the Linc, for an Army/Navy game and really had a great time. But, you guys have to lose the hatred and bad attitude vibe and maybe your teams and city will be more successful. As for now keep yelling Sidney sucks and booing Santa Claus.........
    O yeah one more thing Travel Channel picked Primanti's over the cheez wiz steak Gino's and Pat's WHO CARES
    Hail To the Victors
    The Fixer wrote:

You are confused! Just because your city is a dump, doesn't make me angry! You are projecting your anger on me. And you are obviously not trying to understand anything, because I have explained it quite a few times already, and you just don't get it.

As for the airport, your myth has been debunked by a few people already. I''ll take a slightly longer trip to the airport, you can have the delayed/canceled flights and lost luggage!
    The Fixer wrote:
    philly has an El too. the regional rail/subway system here is quite expansive and easy to use.
    Even if I agreed with you, Exapansive and easy to use does not equal good. It's easy to jump off a building, doesn't mean one should do it. Philly's system requires too many transfers to get where you are going, all while you are putting your life in your hands. I mean it's all relative, using Philly's subway is easy compared to performing brain surgery. But it's not easy when compared to using Boston's subway, for example. Not to mention Boston's is much cleaner.

As for Pittsburgh's subway, it is clean safe, and easy to use. It is just as useful as Philly's subway. I'm not in college anymore, so I will just call up a cab.
  • Hey how many times has PJ played Pittsburgh recently compared to Philadelphia?