$10 ticket tour. PJ mentioned.

Comments

• I may accept a raise, but I didn't preach for 15 years about how noble I am for doing my job for less than what I could ask for. If I stood on my boss's desk and said "look at me, I do my job for minimum wage, so that everyone can enjoy my services" then turned around and doubled my salary in less than 5 years, then you can call me a hypocrite.
    By the way, this:

"But principles don't work that way. They don't change based on the size of your bank account. You don't get to apply principles subjectively."

is shooting yourself in the foot. I think many of the "gripers" complaints is that it seems the band's principles do change with their bank account.

I don't see a damn thing wrong with getting paid if you can. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth that they seem to have done a 180 on a lot of the things they said in the past.

You aren't allowed to feel that way around here. It gets you attacked, even when you have a direct quote as a statement of fact.

...oh. I mean, I love pearl jam....
    20061114_sheep.jpg

Now you know the deal. Please feel free to stop by the 10c store and purchase some onesies or stickers for your kids on the way out.
    Nothing but thanks for those willing to give of their soul to a stranger. And I hate to say it but The Who are overated.
  • Paul AndrewsPaul Andrews Posts: 2,489
    BUSH-lager wrote:
    pjsyco wrote:
    If you want cheaper tickets - the next time one of your friends (or you) copy a CD, illegally download a album, buy a rip off t-shirt, rip a dvd, thank them (or yourself) for forcing ticket prices up.

Inflation, less revenue from music and merch sales plus the need to pay the wages of all members of the Pearl Jam organisation are the reason for higher ticket prices - not greed.

A Pearl Jam ticket is still much cheaper than comparable bands and much better bang for your buck.

Bingo....well said

No. Not well said. They are by far more expensive than other comparable bands. The only bands that charge like Pearl Jam are classic rock acts from yesteryear whose touring days are numbered and were not as well financed back in the day.

A comparable band = a peer to Pearl Jam, not someone Ed listened to growing up. Bands like Radiohead, Phish, Green Day, Dave Matthews, Stone Temple Pilots, Smashing Pumpkins, etc. I've seen all of these bands on their most recent tours and every single one of them cost significantly less to see. "Right on."

Apart fropm Radiohead, i wouldn't put any of those bands in the same league as Pearl Jam.

Plus, I'm largely speaking from my experiences here in Australia where PJ tickets are routinely $20-$50 cheaper than any of the recent large international touring acts.
    We need to take more into account than just inflation with the wage issue. A lot of wage earners get a higher rate the more experience they have, or the more likely they are to be poached by a competitor.

In 1991 i was beginning my career as a teacher earning a little over $20K. My last wage working as a teacher in 2008 was about $70K. Moving out and running my own business increased my income and also allowed me to be a little more selective about what work I choose to do and what work I pass on. More often than not, the job that pays the most, offers the best security, or offers the best return for effort is what I go for. Sometimes I do a 'love job' for my own reasons or sympathies or as a community service. More often than not, my family and my time with them, influences how and when I work. I'm now in my 40s, as is PJ and I feel my attitude to work is probably a lot like theirs. Yes their work is a lot different - but what price do you put on creativity and performance? They still earn shitloads less than most of the Sportspeople we follow. Fucking Victoria Beckham went out on a $900,000 shoppoing trip the other day.

Remember Pearl Jam could ask a whole lot more and get it fairly easily in their main markets. They no longer go out on massive tours for months/years on end but they still have an organisation to pay for and no no record company funding them. They give liberally to environmental and humanitarian causes and actually show an interest in the places they visit. I'm yet to see Pearl Jam to a 'colour by numbers performance' live I've seen from most other touring acts from the 80s on.

If Pearl Jam are now weathly, I'm glad, it's great to see those producing quality music and experiences with a minimum of fuss rewarded for it rather than the talentless divas or record company clones that are dished up daily through the mass media.

See yas at MSG2! ;)
  • blackngoldblackngold Posts: 264
    #1...I'm surprised no one has ripped me for posting a fox news link. Yes, republican and a pj fan, how strange.
    #2...I'm perfectly fine with tickets being $85-$100. You spend that much for a normal night out anyway, might as well make it a everlasting memory by seeing the world's greatest band.
    My intent when posting this link was simply to spread a PJ media mention. Not to start another ticket price complaint thread. Plenty of those floating around.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,177
    They have gone from FIGHTING ticketmaster and being VERY vocal about keeping ticketprices low for the fans to now having really high prices in recent years. You can love Pearl Jam all you want, but still this should leave a bitter taste in your mouth. 20 bucks in the early nineties for a collegestudent was a lot lower than 90 bucks or a collegestudent today.

And I pay alot more for PJ tix then similar bands - I guess Radiohead and Nine Inch Nails can be compared. And I bet they are making a lot of money.

Pearl jam is growing into becoming U2/Rolling Stones/Bruce Springsteen/Iron Maiden-esque when they should still be more like Radiohead and NIN.

And, you can excuse the behaviour with all this "illegal downloading" talk BUT that is not stopping other bands from keeping lower prices? And not noting or caring about the 180-turn in their mentality is just stupid.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    One thing about some of those other bands is they still do extensive world tours where equipment, staff and travel/accommodation can be bulk booked and logisitcs make a big difference in the cost of touring. It is far cheaper per show to do a 50 or 150 show US/World tour than it is to go on the road for a month or so at a time and then take time off. It costs to make your tour carbon neutral.

While I'd always like ticket prices to be lower, I can see why a Pearl Jam ticket costs wat it does and hey, in Australia, a Rolling Stones ticket in 1995 cost more than a PJ ticket in 2009. Last year, Pearl Jam were cheaper (by far) than recent tours by Fleetwood Mac, The Police, Roger Walters, Britt Spears, Pussycat Dolls, The Who, AC/DC, Status Quo, Greenday, - shit even Heuy Lewis will be $85 this year. For the record - I didn't go to those shows.
    Fleetwood Mac, The Police, Roger Walters, Britt Spears, Pussycat Dolls, The Who, AC/DC, Status Quo, Greenday, - shit even Heuy Lewis will be $85 this year. For the record - I didn't go to those shows.

But you are comparing with relics/museum artefacts and POP acts that have a huge stage setup and have never fought a ticketservice in order to keep tickets as low as can be.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • sk8nshoot1sk8nshoot1 Posts: 722
    Ummmm, Anybody seen the Bon Jovi prices this time around? it was $500 for the front row, $350 for the other "pit" tickets and $195 for the regular seats and the nose bleed tickets were $125... $125 was the cheapest seat in the house... These are the ticket master prices, not Stub Hub or any other brokerage tickets... and TM added $25 worth of fees...

Day before the show unsold VIP tickets, which by the way the Bon Jovi VIP experience was posted at $1800, I hear you got to keep your chair and bring it home, but I digress, were placed back on ticket master and I had a pair of front row tickets pulled up... Guess what? I exercised self control and fiscal responsibility and didn't buy them...

All you folks complaining about the PJ prices? Please....
    1996: Randall's Island I, Hartford
    1998: MSG I, Hartford
    2000: Jones Beach I
    2003: Albany, MSG II, Mansfield II & III, Homdel
    2004: Boston (VFC) I & II
    2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston I and E. Rutherford I
    2008: MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield II (saw BostonLou in the FRONT ROW!!) EV-NYC II
    2010: Hartford
    2013 Worcester II, Hartford
    2016 Fenway I
    2018 Wrigley II, Fenway II
  • doomponydoompony Posts: 4,497
    someone made an excellent point about how much money is spent on a night out.

for the price of a pearl jam ticket i'd be able to pay for a taxi into the city, one or two drinks, and a taxi home again.

for the price of a pearl jam ticket i'd be able to pay for a taxi into the city, one or two drinks, and a taxi home again.

This is still beside the point.
    well in 1995 for the same price i could have had 10 more drinks and really needed the taxi.

the point is they're concert tickets. they bring joy. they're all expensive these days. i personally dont bat an eyelid because i can only imagine how expensive it is to haul that operation down to this country. every international act that comes down here is expensive.
    edited April 2010
    Ummmm, Anybody seen the Bon Jovi prices this time around? it was $500 for the front row, $350 for the other "pit" tickets and $195 for the regular seats and the nose bleed tickets were $125... $125 was the cheapest seat in the house... These are the ticket master prices, not Stub Hub or any other brokerage tickets... and TM added $25 worth of fees...

Day before the show unsold VIP tickets, which by the way the Bon Jovi VIP experience was posted at $1800, I hear you got to keep your chair and bring it home, but I digress, were placed back on ticket master and I had a pair of front row tickets pulled up... Guess what? I exercised self control and fiscal responsibility and didn't buy them...

This is sort of beside the point. What other bands do has nothing to do with what PJ are doing in relations to how they were doing things. If Madonna takes 400dollars for a seat should we be content and happy with PJ only taking 300?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    what if those other bands had supported the fight back in the 90s?
  • If you want cheaper tickets - the next time one of your friends (or you) copy a CD, illegally download a album, buy a rip off t-shirt, rip a dvd, thank them (or yourself) for forcing ticket prices up.

I guess this only happens to Pearl Jam, because I'm not paying like twice as much as I paid for a ticket in 2003 for any other band I see.

Thanks a lot, friends.
    ***Desperately looking for a Pearl Jam Phillies themed Oct. 31 Philadelphia shirt in M or L. Got one you don't want/need? Help a brother out!
  • on2legs wrote:
    Yes I am if that person is calling the band a sell out and greedy for raising their tickets over the years to a very reasonable level when compared to the rest of the industry.

I LOVE when people pull out this line. The "rest of the industry" always seems to be a couple handfuls of bands.

Any band that charges more than Pearl Jam is greedy. Any band that charges less isn't on Pearl Jam's "level" and doesn't deserve as much. :roll:
    ***Desperately looking for a Pearl Jam Phillies themed Oct. 31 Philadelphia shirt in M or L. Got one you don't want/need? Help a brother out!
  • lawn seats to the indy show are only $22.
    this is about as cheap as i have seen any big name sell lawn seats for recently.
    -
    just sayin.... $22.
    Fleetwood Mac, The Police, Roger Walters, Britt Spears, Pussycat Dolls, The Who, AC/DC, Status Quo, Greenday, - shit even Heuy Lewis will be $85 this year. For the record - I didn't go to those shows.

But you are comparing with relics/museum artefacts and POP acts that have a huge stage setup and have never fought a ticketservice in order to keep tickets as low as can be.

Yes, fair call, but I know between the above and PJ, seeing two and a half hours of Pearl Jam I'd see PJ and the above acts were usually 50%-100% more than a PJ ticket - and usually with a forgettable support if (if any).

The last few PJ tours down here have had really impressive supports (and probably more expensive support act). Whether they are your cup of tea or not, Ben Harper (and Liam Finn down here) '09, Kings Of Leon '06, Johhny Marr & The Healers '03. How much does a support act receive for a PJ tour? A friend in a local band did a tour as Alivce Cooper's support in the late 90s and got fuck all, just enough to make it worth doing.

I know paying close to $100 for a ticket does suck, down here tickets for large international act went over $100 years ago. I'd love to be paying $20, but it's just never gonna happen again, not for Pearl Jam, not at this stage of their career. Pearl jam are able to charge this amount because enough of use thinks it is value for money and the shows usually sell out or go pretty close. In a word they charge it bacause they can. I'm sure they could ask far more than they do but they don't. I'm sure if this US tour was over $100 a ticket, they'd still sell out these shows (or go close).

Whether there is a justifiabe and acceptable reason exists for the price of concert tickets in general to be this high is one that I would love to see some investigation and research, not just what we believe to be the case. I don't think any of us truly know the costs involved in running what is essentially an organisation - one part of which is a touring and recording band. Like it or not, these are businesses with many livelyhoods to provide for, and CEOs (the band) who earn less than those who fucked up wall street, or the rest of the world economy or those who can throw or catch a ball. Some of those organisations milk their fans for every cent they can (KISS/KISS Army), others try to do as much as they can for the fans. Some do nothing. Somewhere in that spectrum is PJ/10C.

When I look at relationship I have had with Pearl Jam as a consumer, I've always felt I've had terrific value for money (except the Aussie 2009 'shrink ten sizes', 'thin as tissue','lose their shape' tour t-shirts). As a fan I've been moved, inspired, captivated, influenced and rocked the fuck out buy their music and shows. I've never left a show feeling anything but I'd received fantasic value for money for that ticket price. It wasn't just a show, it was an event. I can remember every (of my 11) PJ shows vividly and all had special and unique moments. I've met the best people and had some great debates/discussions/laughs on this forum. This is the only fan club i am in and only on I've ever been in. I'm about to turn 41 and Pearl Jam has been my favourite band for almost half my life. If Pearl Jam in their 40s have decided to increase their bottom line it doesn't really upset me, they've earnt it. I'm earning more than i was in the 90s, they have that right too.

I can see many reasons why a tour may cost more to mount now for PJ. Insurance (public liability on venues and the touring party, worker's compc) went nuts after 9/11. If they offer their staff healthcare, that has gone up expodentially. Staff, the 2009 PJ touring team is significantly larger than 1993, higher skilled and earning a better wage. Families travelling with the band on many occasions. Medial/health/catering people with them. Production is much better (more lights, better sound). More stage equipment and instruments. Better hotels (lets face it, if I were in the band I'd be wanting to stay at the best hotel in the city - I'd feel i'd deserved it). Fuel costs have risen significanly. Man a fucking whopper over here is about $5 now Iif you still eat that shit). A Dome (West Aussie Starbucks) is a min $5 fora coffee!! I 600ml coke is $3.80. I'm used to being milked and just don't feel that PJ milk us.

I feel sorry for those who can't afford to pay that much for a ticket (as I am sure is the feeling of the band), but ultimately it is about choices and even at $90 us (don't forget TM's outrageous fees), if people want to go, that is an amount most can afford. I'd go without, find extra work, do whatever to make sure I have enough to see a PJ show locally. I remember the pain I went through as a 16 year old having to make $35 for dire straits in 1986 - and then had to get a scalper ticket for a second show because by the time they got here (8 months after the ticket sales) I had a different girlfriend..... but I digress, don't get me started on high school stories :)

Once again, it is true, there are those who cannot pay, but many of them probably couldn't go if the ticket were $50. I'd probably still go at $200 a ticket, in fact now that I need an extra, it looks like I'll have to pay that much (or more) for an extra MSG2 ticket for my wife to go. Fuckers want $380 for a seat in my row on Stubhub.

Anyway, this has gone on for far longer than I'd hoped to type (nothing good on tv and everyone in my family is asleep - 10pm here). The cat's hassling me for a feed and I think I'm gonna go get Live At The Garden, pop on my headphones and prepare for May :) Happy easter!
  • sk8nshoot1sk8nshoot1 Posts: 722

This is sort of beside the point. What other bands do has nothing to do with what PJ are doing in relations to how they were doing things. If Madonna takes 400dollars for a seat should we be content and happy with PJ only taking 300?

All I'm saying is if it's too much, you don't HAVE to pay it... But apparently some people HAVE to go, and then complain about how much it costs... Also, it is a fair comparison as I think we get more for our concert dollar with PJ than most others...

and PJ is well under $300 (US $ anyway)
    1996: Randall's Island I, Hartford
    1998: MSG I, Hartford
    2000: Jones Beach I
    2003: Albany, MSG II, Mansfield II & III, Homdel
    2004: Boston (VFC) I & II
    2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston I and E. Rutherford I
    2008: MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield II (saw BostonLou in the FRONT ROW!!) EV-NYC II
    2010: Hartford
    2013 Worcester II, Hartford
    2016 Fenway I
    2018 Wrigley II, Fenway II
  • hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,927
    Remember Pearl Jam could ask a whole lot more and get it fairly easily in their main markets. They no longer

I think that is untrue. They are approaching the price point where they won't keep selling shows out.
  • If you want to pay $10 to see some unknown Christian band good for you, I'll stick with the higher prices to see a great fucking show from a band I love.
    1998 - St. Louis
    2000 - St. Louis
    2003 - West Palm Beach, St. Louis, Champaign, Bonner Springs, and East Troy
    2004 - St. Louis, Asheville, and Kissimmee
    2005 - Kitchener and London, Ontario
    2006 - Chicago Night 1, Cincinnati, and St. Paul Night 1
    2007 - Lollapalooza
    2010 - St. Louis and Noblesville
    2011 - East Troy PJ20 Night 1 and Night 2
    2013 - Wrigley and Oklahoma City
    2014 - St. Louis and Memphis
    2016 - Lexington
    2018 - Wrigley Night 1 

"I know I was born and I know that I'll die...the in between is mine"
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWMk_MoFTFM

:lol::lol: Tickets should never cost more than $10 to see this garbage.
    2006: Albany
    2008: MSG I, MSG II, Newark(EV)
    2009: Albany 1-2(EV), Philly 3
    2010: Boston, MSG I
    2013: Buffalo, Brooklyn II, Hartford
    2016: MSG 1, MSG II, Fenway 1
    All I'm saying is if it's too much, you don't HAVE to pay it...

But obviously people on here want to see Pearl Jam live, because we are fans. And fans of a band that in the 90s fought ticketmaster about keeping tickets costs low.

So your comment is pretty irrelevant. It is not about buying or not buying - it's about Pearl Jams standards.

We are not discussing having or not having to buy an iphone... we are talking about WHY pearl jam - who we are all huge fans of and who fought for cheap tickets 15 years ago - charge what people consider to be ALOT and EXCESSIVE.

All the "well, if it doesnt suit you quit 10c or stop listeing to PJ" is so irrelevant and stupid.

Word, exactly what I was trying to say. Also your Harey Carey pic makes me laugh everytime I see a post :lol::lol:

"If the moon was made of cheese would you eat? I know I would"
    1998 - St. Louis
    2000 - St. Louis
    2007 - Lollapalooza
    2016 - Lexington
    2018 - Wrigley Night 1 

• Boxes&BooksBoxes&Books Posts: 2,672
    on2legs wrote:
    on2legs wrote:
    Raise your hand if you are still making the same amount of money that you made in 1991...

Point being?

The point is that unless you walk into your boss' office every year and demand that he not give you a raise because you work there simply because of the love for your occupation then you are a huge hypocrite.

In fact by your logic - it makes you greedy and a sell out.

+1
    +2
    +3
    The point is that unless you walk into your boss' office every year and demand that he not give you a raise because you work there simply because of the love for your occupation then you are a huge hypocrite.

In fact by your logic - it makes you greedy and a sell out.

This is not logical and has nothing to do with this - and was replied to in a great way earlier in the thread.

Word, exactly what I was trying to say. Also your Harey Carey pic makes me laugh everytime I see a post :lol::lol:

"If the moon was made of cheese would you eat? I know I would"

One of his best SNL Skits!!
    "Hey! What about this: if you had to choose between being the top scientist in your field or getting mad cow disease, what would it be?"
  • Word, exactly what I was trying to say. Also your Harey Carey pic makes me laugh everytime I see a post :lol::lol:

"If the moon was made of cheese would you eat? I know I would"[/quote]

One of his best SNL Skits!!
    "Hey! What about this: if you had to choose between being the top scientist in your field or getting mad cow disease, what would it be?"[/quote]

Classic, absolutley classic. When Will left so it ended probally the last great years of SNL...haven't watched it really since.
    1998 - St. Louis
    2000 - St. Louis
    2007 - Lollapalooza
    2016 - Lexington
    2018 - Wrigley Night 1 

• CobCob Posts: 857
    I don't think the Pearl Jam tickets that they offer through the 10 Club are that over priced, it all evens out to me, my daughter wanted to go see KISS in Dec., face vale ticket were $65-$75, I bought 2 tickets out front from someone for $80.00 total and we both got in. I won tickets to Elton John the other day on the radio, 3 weeks ago my friend and an extra ticket for the Flaming Lips show, he took me free and now I owe him a couple of lunches.

Pearl Jam puts on a great show and leaves everything on the stage, I'm glad I chose not to go to MSG, Boston or Hartford this time around, there are just to many people trying to go to those shows, I am going to Columbus, Indiana and Cleveland, I got all of my tickets through 10 Club in less than 5 minutes!

That being said, Phish just had their pre sale for their summer tour, all tickets to all shows were $50.00, I assume that they do this because they know there are people that tour with them and go to every show, could they charge $75.00, sure they could, they just chose not to. Concerts are expensive now, it's just a way of life, Pearl Jam is slightly on the higher end, but there are artist that charge WAY more than they do, one of my oldest concert ticket stubs has a price of $8.50 from 1982, I also have several stubs from The Summit in Houston where I saw many a concert, they all have a 0.65 charge for parking, yes that's right 65 cents for parking fee, YES times have changed.

If it's to expensive, DON'T GO! Or cut back on other things that you spend money on, like going out to drink or eat, everyone bitches about the 10 Club, but at least they give you a "chance" to buy tickets before they go on sale to the public and that's about all you can ask for at this point!
    [img][/img]9/5/92, 11/20/93, 3/14,15/94, 9/16/95, 10/14,15/2000
    4/5,6/9/2003, 9/1/05, 12/7/2005, 7/15,16,18/2006, 8/5/2007
    6/24,25/08,6/27/08,6/28/08,6/30/08
    9/21,22/2009, 10/4/2009
    5/6,7,9/2010, 9/3/2011 9/4/2011, 11/15/2013,
    11/16/2013, 12/8/2013, 10/5/2014, 10/12/2014,
    4/23, 5/10, 5/12, 8/20, 8/22 2016,
    8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20 2018, 5/12, 5/13, 9/20 2022

• doompony wrote:

Oh. That's horseshit.
  • Classic, absolutley classic. When Will left so it ended probally the last great years of SNL...haven't watched it really since.

Me too! It was so hard watching the skits recently while waiting for PJ to go on