Not renewing 10c membership because of "SELLING OUT"

Comments

• CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    coaljam wrote:
    I splurged for one MSG ticket and that will be my last PJ show. This band lost me with their complete 180 these past few years regarding fan appreciation and just plain "U2ing". That and this happy corporate crap going on with Backspacer (Go compared to a string quartet?). Is there anyone else, I know I cant be alone.

Before I hear all the good riddances and crap you should know my # sucks thanks to a lapse in renewing. Nobody wins and some band member will have to go without breakfast for his family thanks to the loss of $20.

I actually feel like I lost a friend who I knew for 15+ years. Thank you PJ for retroactively destroying all your music for me with you loss of morals. PJ- Living proof that its better to burn out than fade away
    That's your call, bro... Good Luck.
    Something I never understand... is the almost religious-like ferver for a rock band. Don't get me wrong, I love this band and still like a lot of the music they are currently producing... but, it's not that big of a deal. In the past, I was a Zeppelin fan... Who fan... Bowie fan... but, never really cared about their moral (well, more like their immoral) beliefs or behaviours. Same goes here. I don't care how they earn a living... I believe they are entitled to set their own direction.
    And I never hold anyone accountable for things they said 20 years ago. I thought I was a smart guy who knew it all when I was in my twenties. I look back and see... I was a dumb-ass motherfucker who THOUGHT he knew everything. Turns out, life happens to us... no matter what we think.
    An angry 20 year old man is kinda cool... a 40something year old man is... well... an old grouch.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • coaljam wrote:
    I guess I just don't understand why you are starting a thread to tell everyone. Are you looking for us to talk you off the ledge or join arms with you? Man up son and don't renew if you don't want to but don't 'sell out' by coming on here to tell everyone. You sure as hell are using this forum to tell us...selling out. You bought tixs to the show...selling out. Be your own man/woman and do your thang.

You are 100% right, but I wanted to see if there were other people as peeved as I was about the bands recent activity.
    Also can everyone chill out a little, I am only insulting the bands ethics not your parents.

I hear you and you're entitled to state your opinion on that. Trust that I'm one chill muthafucka. Again, I just don't see why you are sticking around to see if other people are peeved. Like I said, I think it is probably a coping mechanism for your decision (but that's only how I am reading into it). I think your decision is fine, your method is weak. You just gotta take that leap of faith and move on is all I'm sayin'.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,178
    They are not the same band that they were in the early 90s

That doesn't mean you can't have opinions about stuff they do now that is a 180spin from things they did than.

And yeah, people treat 10c/PJ like it was you little baby people have opinions about - chill out.

I mean, I think it would be hard for any fan following their fight with ticketmaster abut keeping prices low to just swallow their recent ticketprices. They are moving towards U2-ish terriorty, no questions about it.

And I am not saying that band can'r evolve. But come on - Eddie playing a private co-operative gig with his solo stuff - 90-98 Eddie would beat him to death.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    I'm gonna give the OP an honest answer, as I don't like to over-generalize anyone's position, like some of the people on this thread are doing. I'm gonna treat this like a discussion, not a firing range.

The band has obviously made changes, big changes, in their philosophy. Just a few years ago Ed ranted on stage about Jewel's song being used as the background for a brand of razors. ...yet now PJ's music is being used in the background of countless TV shows, and hearing their music in commercials is starting to creep in. The sponsorship by Verizon on the sides of the stage for their '08 tour, or the "Presented by Bud Light" at at-least one venue in '08 are both indications of the direction they are going in now.

I think the band sees their loss of revenue from record sales being directly taken away by their "fans" who used to buy records but now illegally download their music, and they now want to recoup their losses by getting sponsors, selling their songs, creating specifically radio "hits"... and that's a very slippery slope. And I think they recognize that they at many times sabotaged their own careers for their morals and for the fans' benefit, and that it negatively hurt them in their own wallet and I think they are wanting to make up for that now. I think they have come to terms with all of this over the last 5 years or so and are now comfortable doing things very differently now to increase revenue. This includes ticket prices increasing, though other artists are taking even more advantage of people's willingness to pay.

I would love to hear the band's opinion on how and why things have changed.

If they weren't so vocally against a lot of what they're now doing, I wouldn't think twice about it, but since they were so against it, I certainly wouldn't mind hearing from them about their change of heart.

Ultimately the band is free to do what they want, as are we.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • coaljam wrote:
    I hear you and you have a total right to disagree, no one can control the product that pj puts out and how they put it out. As a long time fan I feel their prices for tickets have remainded fair in a tough economy, access to new content via the web and tv has expanded as well as media (i.e. itunes etc) to give fans more. They share a lot of love for the fan club and I feel they are doing their best. They are not the same band that they were in the early 90s, if they were they would be no better than Nickelback or Creed.

Just for some fun check this link out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Muk9PcBKZWw

Nice Link! ah memories.
    I hear your side and Ill agree to disagree. Im sure we can agree that PJ 1990-2000 was one of the bests bands ever.[/quote]

Yes we can and that is what this place is all about, at least I hope. At least they don't have evenflow part 3 on the next record like some other band I know, no offese Metallica fans.
    My last post was my 666 post by they way. wee.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Good debate, I love the passion of PJ and music fans alike.
  • vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 897
    COALJAM, go cry me a river, you baby!

Pearl Jam's music rocks and they put on killer live shows.....that's all you need to know!

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Cosmo wrote:
    That's your call, bro... Good Luck.
    Something I never understand... is the almost religious-like ferver for a rock band. Don't get me wrong, I love this band and still like a lot of the music they are currently producing... but, it's not that big of a deal. In the past, I was a Zeppelin fan... Who fan... Bowie fan... but, never really cared about their moral (well, more like their immoral) beliefs or behaviours. Same goes here. I don't care how they earn a living... I believe they are entitled to set their own direction.
    And I never hold anyone accountable for things they said 20 years ago. I thought I was a smart guy who knew it all when I was in my twenties. I look back and see... I was a dumb-ass motherfucker who THOUGHT he knew everything. Turns out, life happens to us... no matter what we think.
    An angry 20 year old man is kinda cool... a 40something year old man is... well... an old grouch.

:clap::clap::clap:

i'll be interested to hear a response to this
  • vedpunk wrote:
    COALJAM, go cry me a river, you baby!

Pearl Jam's music rocks and they put on killer live shows.....that's all you need to know!

I am crying I feel like my girlfriend cheated on me. But come on man you think I would give a shit if i didn't agree with you about their musical talent 100%. I think we differ because for me PJ's ethics/morals are intertwined with their music. You honestly think I'm gonna argue against PJ kicking ass? ( well maybe about backspacer but thats all)
    Nothing but thanks for those willing to give of their soul to a stranger. And I hate to say it but The Who are overated.
    And I never hold anyone accountable for things they said 20 years ago.

Yeah, and as I stated people evolve but fighting for something hard and vocally and then change direction completely like "it never happend" is not the same thing... :)

Let's say Vedder becomes a real rightwinged republican and starts to play solo on Fox News - wouldn't you be scared and sort of angry?
  • their music is getting dangerously close to U2 levels of suckitude, but just when i think they are lost, they add a few great tunes like Severed Hand or Just Breathe.

couldnt care less about thier stances, didnt care back in the day either.

if they dont start touring more, i'll probably get pretty bored with this anyway. we'll see how 2011 goes.

i'll stick around for another album :)
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,594
    yeah.....fuck off man....nobody wants to hear you cry
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • -decodified--decodified- Posts: 2,686
    :yawn:
    Bill Graham Civic Auditorium - Jul 15, 2006
    Outside Lands Festival - Aug 28, 2009
    Key Arena - Sep 21, 2009
    Viejas Arena - Oct 09, 2009
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 23, 2010
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 24, 2010
    Oracle Arena Nov 26, 2013
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 26, 2014
    Parque Simon Bolivar - Bogota, Colombia - Nov 25, 2015 - MY HOMETOWN!!!
    Madison Square Garden - May 01, 2016
    Madison Square Garden - May 02, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 20, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 22, 2016 - MY B-DAY!!!

dL7POFOTD9H0c.gif
  • gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    I guess no one is "Perfect".
    I will not miss you.
    All you do is complain.
    Bye.
  • yeah.....fuck off man....nobody wants to hear you cry

What the hell is going on here? take a deep breath and chill out. Im not kidnapping your family. But I admire your passion for the band its only a little creepy.
    Nothing but thanks for those willing to give of their soul to a stranger. And I hate to say it but The Who are overated.
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,240
    Kat please lock this thread and erase this mans account, you once said I insulted the band and I will fight to the death that I didn't, but there is no doubt that 3/4 of this guys posts are insulting the band
    I dig everyone who has normal responses and tries to have a normal discussion.

All the "don't touch my pearl jam" people are scary... how can you take things so personal?
  • this never would have happened if JACK IRONS were still around!
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    coaljam wrote:
    I splurged for one MSG ticket and that will be my last PJ show. This band lost me with their complete 180 these past few years regarding fan appreciation and just plain "U2ing". That and this happy corporate crap going on with Backspacer (Go compared to a string quartet?). Is there anyone else, I know I cant be alone.

Before I hear all the good riddances and crap you should know my # sucks thanks to a lapse in renewing. Nobody wins and some band member will have to go without breakfast for his family thanks to the loss of $20.

I actually feel like I lost a friend who I knew for 15+ years. Thank you PJ for retroactively destroying all your music for me with you loss of morals. PJ- Living proof that its better to burn out than fade away
    I am truly sorry you feel like this and that is not sarcasm. Comparing this to losing a friend of 15 years I'm sure you must be feeling empty and disappointed. I wouldn't know what I would do if I lost my faith in Pearl Jam. I truly need them, their music gives me peace and strength. I feel they are really good people who care about us and this world. The corporate sellout thing is of no concern to me, I should say its unimportant to me cause I'm not into all that. I have enjoyed each album, they never let down, for me Backspacer is one of the best. I live to see them live and I love the connection to Pearl Jam fans here.
    I sincerely hope you find what you are looking for, find some other music to fill the void. Maybe you will decide to give PJ another chance someday, people change things change maybe in the future PJ will work for you again.
  • RiotZact wrote:
    Kat please lock this thread and erase this mans account, you once said I insulted the band and I will fight to the death that I didn't, but there is no doubt that 3/4 of this guys posts are insulting the band

I insult out of deep love my friend, BTW Youre not a member of the band are you? if so I am truly sorry.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,677
    Sounds to me like someone is just looking for some attention.

my response.......

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
    I dig everyone who has normal responses and tries to have a normal discussion.

All the "don't touch my pearl jam" people are scary... how can you take things so personal?

This guy knew EXACTLY what he had coming when he started this thread, he gets bashed all the time for saying stuff and knowone ever agrees with him, he enjoys argueing with people, I'm not taking things personaly, I'm saying that this message board is for pearl jam fans NOW, pearl jams music NOW, not 1993, if he dosn't like it then he should leave...NOW
  • well we can divide PJ fans into "waaaaah-ers" and "baaaaah-ers". crybabies and mindless sheep! :mrgreen:
  • veddertownveddertown Posts: 5,260
    RiotZact wrote:

Hey be fair though, 3/4 of his posts have been in the last half hour :lol: What a fuss this turned out to be :yawn: Someone just say Dave A was the best drummer and we can get a lock :lol:
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,927
    your signature alone tells me how much of an asshole you are.

Really? So you agree with the signatures that brag about how many shows you have been to, where you sat, if you got backstage, etc? I think those are smug, pretentious and just gay for lack of a better word (Not in a homosexual sense). Certain elitists think they are better because they have been to x # of shows and they love showing it off. I love the OP's signature....it's funny. I also agree with most of his post.
  • I guess no one is "Perfect".
    I will not miss you.
    All you do is complain.
    Bye.

Ive been looking at my past posts and you are completely right, I have been really getting down on the band and kinda angry since they released BS. Which is why I will not renew and noone will give a damn. But my love for dance that will never change
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    And I never hold anyone accountable for things they said 20 years ago.

Yeah, and as I stated people evolve but fighting for something hard and vocally and then change direction completely like "it never happend" is not the same thing... :)

Let's say Vedder becomes a real rightwinged republican and starts to play solo on Fox News - wouldn't you be scared and sort of angry?
    Depends on his music... it Pearl Jam sounds more like the FOX News types, 'Rascal Flatts'... then, yeah... I'll move on. Just like I left Zeppelin after hearing 'Coda'... the Who after hearing 'Face Dances'.
    I like music that I like and don't really get into the personel's off stage life. If the band does change as in your example... I'm guessing their music will more than likely reflect the change.
    It's words and music I like.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
    veddertown wrote:
    RiotZact wrote:

Hey be fair though, 3/4 of his posts have been in the last half hour :lol: What a fuss this turned out to be :yawn: Someone just say Dave A was the best drummer and we can get a lock :lol:

Haha true, but Dave A WAS the best drummer (there you go kat)
  • Bugs29Bugs29 Posts: 96
    edited April 2010
    pandora wrote:
    coaljam wrote:

I am truly sorry you feel like this and that is not sarcasm. Comparing this to losing a friend of 15 years I'm sure you must be feeling empty and disappointed. I wouldn't know what I would do if I lost my faith in Pearl Jam. I truly need them, their music gives me peace and strength. I feel they are really good people who care about us and this world. The corporate sellout thing is of no concern to me, I should say its unimportant to me cause I'm not into all that. I have enjoyed each album, they never let down, for me Backspacer is one of the best. I live to see them live and I love the connection to Pearl Jam fans here.
    I sincerely hope you find what you are looking for, find some other music to fill the void. Maybe you will decide to give PJ another chance someday, people change things change maybe in the future PJ will work for you again.

BEST response to anyone's criticism/complaint...WOW. There's always someone who rises above all the rest...
    Post edited by Bugs29 on
This discussion has been closed.