This generation sucks...

Comments

• whgarrett wrote:
    The idea of "generations" has become nothing but a marketing scheme. Don't buy into it. :D

The concept of a "generation" was used only as a guide for defining the current set of people who influence society the most. Whatever this label is is unimportant and an issue of semantics.
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • There are so many laws, rules, guidlines, norms to follow nowadays that everyone blindly follows. There used to be a sense of freedom and an "outlaw attitude" in our culture that is slowly fading away.

If only my students blindly followed my rules and guidelines, my day would be a heck of a lot easier. :)

You think there is no longer a sense of "outlaw attitude"?

Oh, if only.... :)
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Remember when "outlaws" rode Harleys with no helmets? Now grandmothers ride Harleys, and you're considered an "outlaw" if you don't have a Facebook page.
  • There are so many laws, rules, guidlines, norms to follow nowadays that everyone blindly follows. There used to be a sense of freedom and an "outlaw attitude" in our culture that is slowly fading away.

If only my students blindly followed my rules and guidelines, my day would be a heck of a lot easier. :)

as a teacher you probably see the worst in kids. so, what, they pass notes and bully each other?
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • IwasBit10IwasBit10 Posts: 646
    Couldnt agree with you more. This is why i got out of management. No work ethic whatsoever!!! And, and, and, I could go on for hours on my issues with the 20 somethings. For the most part they are just lazy and feel some sense of entitlement. Sucks getting older in an industry that is only getting younger!

I'm 23 and a manager for a logistics company, busting my ass 6 days a week. I work with a bunch of 40-55 year old drivers, and laziness and apathy is their specialty. Now, I don't go around saying "40 year olds have no work ethic," because obviously that's not true. Same is the case for what you said....

Can't argue with the sense of entitlement though. When's my promotion?!
    He floated back down 'cause he wanted to share, his key to the locks on the chains he saw everywhere.
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,989
    IwasBit10 wrote:
    Couldnt agree with you more. This is why i got out of management. No work ethic whatsoever!!! And, and, and, I could go on for hours on my issues with the 20 somethings. For the most part they are just lazy and feel some sense of entitlement. Sucks getting older in an industry that is only getting younger!

I'm 23 and a manager for a logistics company, busting my ass 6 days a week. I work with a bunch of 40-55 year old drivers, and laziness and apathy is their specialty. Now, I don't go around saying "40 year olds have no work ethic," because obviously that's not true. Same is the case for what you said....

Although I agree 100% with Jezebeloria, the most important word for this debate is "perception".

You think you bust your ass, yet your drivers perceive you as a lazy assed kid who thinks he has all the answers of the universe tied up in his 23 year old super sized ego. You have been busting your ass so long and hard, maybe a few years, and your perception is that this company would falter if it wasnt for your knowledge of the world. How on earth did those old bastards feed themselves before you came along?

Jezebeloria's perception that each one of those 20 somethings' routine is filled with finding the easiest way to do a task and daring someone with authority to question them on the quality and merits they bring to the company could be mis-interpreted. Is it possible the 20's are simply trying to improve upon what they dont understand and have never been taught (integrity, honesty, hard work, sweat, sense of accomplishment, etc) yet do it in a manner that we dont understand? (extra time for Mtv, PS2, Facebook, hooking up, virtual gardening, etc)

I think we started this mess 20+ years ago when every kid got a trophy, so as to not hurt any feelings and make everyone feel like they are part of the team.
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
    IwasBit10 wrote:

Although I agree 100% with Jezebeloria, the most important word for this debate is "perception".

You think you bust your ass, yet your drivers perceive you as a lazy assed kid who thinks he has all the answers of the universe tied up in his 23 year old super sized ego. You have been busting your ass so long and hard, maybe a few years, and your perception is that this company would falter if it wasnt for your knowledge of the world. How on earth did those old bastards feed themselves before you came along?

Jezebeloria's perception that each one of those 20 somethings' routine is filled with finding the easiest way to do a task and daring someone with authority to question them on the quality and merits they bring to the company could be mis-interpreted. Is it possible the 20's are simply trying to improve upon what they dont understand and have never been taught (integrity, honesty, hard work, sweat, sense of accomplishment, etc) yet do it in a manner that we dont understand? (extra time for Mtv, PS2, Facebook, hooking up, virtual gardening, etc)

I think we started this mess 20+ years ago when every kid got a trophy, so as to not hurt any feelings and make everyone feel like they are part of the team.

I think another important word is "generalization." That was the point I was trying to get across. Not every 20-something is the same, nor is every 40-50 year old the same. Work ethics come in all different shapes and sizes (and ages).

Just because I've only been in the work force for 2 years, doesn't mean I don't work as hard as you. Do I think I have all the answers? Fuck no. I ask questions and try to learn every day through experience. Would my company survive without me? Of course! But I'm actually sickened that that's how people would perceive anybody my age, without any background knowledge of an individual. Are there some merits to thinking 20-somethings lack integrity, honesty, hard work, sweat, sense of accomplishment, etc? Sure there is! But you can't discredit the 20-somethings that are actually trying and contributing, just because you're from a different "generation." Just seems really generalized, not to mention arrogant and close-minded.

PS., I can't tell if you actually think that I think that, or if you're just trying to provide a different viewpoint. Nothing personal. And that whole promotion thing in my other post was completely sarcastic....
    He floated back down 'cause he wanted to share, his key to the locks on the chains he saw everywhere.
  • i blame Pokemon.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    There are so many laws, rules, guidlines, norms to follow nowadays that everyone blindly follows. There used to be a sense of freedom and an "outlaw attitude" in our culture that is slowly fading away.

I was just like to point out, I was totally misquoted above.. he still stands wrote that, but I agree with much of it.
  • jezebeloriajezebeloria Posts: 600
    I'm not saying all 20 somethings are lazy with no work ethic. Just most... ;)
    PJ FANS ROCK!!!

Finally got that "One for the Thumb"!!! Got the "Six Pack". Now we're on a "Stairway to Seven"

Some words when spoken...can't be taken back.

"Seeing a brick wall straight ahead and stepping on the gas." Eddie...Pittsburgh 6/23/06
  • PatrickBatemanPatrickBateman Posts: 2,243
    "It's like the every-other-decade theory, you know? The '50s were boring, the '60s rocked, and the '70s-- Oh, my god, they obviously suck. Come on. Maybe the '80s will be radical. You know? I figure we'll be in our 20s and, hey, it can't get any worse." - Dazed and Confused
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,476
    IwasBit10 wrote:

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • well im 31 and im lazy.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    They are all a bunch of violent thugs.
    No morals, no respect for anyone and themselves.
    No work ethic.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    my goodness generalizing is way not cool
    you miss out on so much that way, closed minds and closed hearts
    my 20 something children are awesome and of course they are not alone.
    With each generation we did not want to be judged how soon people forget that.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    one thing is a fact.
    these days a young person has shitty taste in cartoons.
    young people's cartoons are bullshit.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    IwasBit10 wrote:

Speedy,

We definitely have drivers that work very hard and value their job very much. But of course, not all of our employees are like that. That was merely the point I was trying to make, that you can't just lump a bunch of characteristics on a group of people because of their age.

Cubs suck!
  • it's like a discussion with Jerry's Kids in here...
    Back in my daaaay.......
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    it's like a discussion with Jerry's Kids in here...

Can we get our own telethon???
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,989
    I think another important word is "generalization." That was the point I was trying to get across. Not every 20-something is the same, nor is every 40-50 year old the same. Work ethics come in all different shapes and sizes (and ages).

Just because I've only been in the work force for 2 years, doesn't mean I don't work as hard as you. Do I think I have all the answers? Fuck no. I ask questions and try to learn every day through experience. Would my company survive without me? Of course! But I'm actually sickened that that's how people would perceive anybody my age, without any background knowledge of an individual. Are there some merits to thinking 20-somethings lack integrity, honesty, hard work, sweat, sense of accomplishment, etc? Sure there is! But you can't discredit the 20-somethings that are actually trying and contributing, just because you're from a different "generation." Just seems really generalized, not to mention arrogant and close-minded.

PS., I can't tell if you actually think that I think that, or if you're just trying to provide a different viewpoint. Nothing personal. And that whole promotion thing in my other post was completely sarcastic....[/quote]

Definetely not a personal attack on you at all. Sorry it came across as that. I work in an environment that has a wide age group, and it happens to be a union plant, so you can imagine the vast variety of lazy.
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • They are all a bunch of violent thugs.
    No work ethic.
    you sound like my dad about us.
    MrSmith wrote:
    No work ethic.

It's true.
    The kids of today are stabbing, glassing, bottling, bashing, killing.
    Well they are here in Australia, especially Melbourne.
    i.e what happened to one our our fans recently....
  • stardust1976stardust1976 Posts: 1,301
    MayDay10 wrote:
    I think the same things were said of us as well.

But I cant help but be very concerned for the generation(s) after us. Most of them have no fear of authority at all. Too many parents dont do any teaching themselves, and blame the outside world whenever their kid fails or is challenged.

yeah but since the 50s/60s the new generation has always been criticized for lacking the correct moral compass or not being in-line with the mainstream. I'm criticizing this generation for something altogether different.

Today, I think that kids are all defeatist pussies who don't have any ambition, no excitement for adventure/experience, and are okay with a meaningless existence consisting of video games, stealing their parents prescription drugs, and developing a flabby and pale body.

But maybe that is just the small sample group that I am aware of (probably 20 - 50 kids) in my localized geography in Eastern PA. Maybe kids elsewhere are different...

Nope, people are the same here as well. Kids....well, they really aren't kids anymore....older teens/young adults, they irritate the crap out of me. Yeah, we had access to things growing up that our parents did, but they had access to things THEIR parents didn't either. The last hundred years spawned the greatest changes technologically EVER.

But this Generation are lazy. Generalising I know, but it's mostly true. They expect to have things handed to them, they don't want to work to get anything, and believe the world revolves around them and their issues. Some of the kids I go to uni with are absolutely dillusional. They truly have no concept of the outside world, and believe that it doesn't matter anyway.

Being a parent myself, I think I can safely say that a lot of it IS down to the parents. There are a lot of people out there who ARE trying to protect their kids because the world is no longer the safe little place it used to be, and in doing so, set their kids up for a life of fear, lack of ambition, and a general belief that someone else will do it/get it/make it happen, because their parents spent their lives doing everything for them, in order to protect them.

It's a sad indictment on today's society. Hopefully if enough people realise, we can fix it. Maybe.
    Correct they don't care for anything.
    I went overseas last year with some friends and they couldn't be bothered seeing the country, just sleeping in till 2am, getting drunk all day and fucking chicks.
  • pjfan021pjfan021 Posts: 684
    i'm 23, work full time school part time....I can thoroughly say that a solid 70% of my generation are douchebags. Everybody dresses the same, listens to the same crap, watches the same dumbass reality shows, and usually has no concept of anything outside their cell phone, ipod, or the latest episode of jersey shore. Not saying I'm hot shit or anything but I dislike a lot about my generation and the overall lack of interest in anything serious. To anyone who considers themself old I say this....be afraid...be very afraid.
  • OK, I know I posted that study earlier in the thread about how in the past 30 years, young adults haven't really changed.

But I have thought of a couple things that really worry me since then :)

1) Video games. WTH is going on? Every single male neighbor I've had in the past few years (6, I think) comes home at night and plays video games for hours. They're paying a premium to live in a neighborhood 4 blocks from downtown and half a mile to hiking, climbing and cycling trails...and they sit inside playing war games constantly. What must be happening to their brains?

2) When the show Real World started, I was about 20. And it was actually a great show. The people were dropped into a strange city, same as they are now, but they were each pursuing careers so the show was about their struggles and dealing with the "real world". And they did it like that for a few seasons, with young cops, singers, writers, etc. And now, the "real world" is that they get the most overly-dramatic people they can find and force them to give up their career (if they actually have one), lock them in a house and try to get them to drink and hook up with each other. If you're growing up watching that crap for four years and then you go off to college yourself, what are your expectations of the "real world" going to be?

My point with both examples is they feed their minds a steady diet of bullshit.

Maybe if this crap had been fed to the rest of us when we were younger, we'd be in the same boat. Luckily, it wasn't, I guess. It's up to parents to limit the exposure their kids have to these things and make sure they're actually out having meaningful, real-life experiences and not filling their brain with the crap that's on TV these days.
  • MrSmith wrote:
    No work ethic.

It's true.
    The kids of today are stabbing, glassing, bottling, bashing, killing.
    Well they are here in Australia, especially Melbourne.
    i.e what happened to one our our fans recently....
    they were doing that here in the 90s. maybe its just now migrated to Australia :)
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    A STUNNING SENIOR MOMENT

A very self-important college freshman attending a recent football game,
    took it upon himself to explain to a senior citizen sitting next to him why
    it was impossible for the older generation to understand his generation.

You grew up in a different world, actually an almost primitive one, the
    student said, loud enough for many of those nearby to hear. The young
    people of today grew up with television, jet planes, space travel, man
    walking on the moon, our spaceships have visited Mars. We have
    nuclear energy, electric and hydrogen cars, computers with light-speed
    processing and.....pausing to take another drink of beer...........

The Senior took advantage of the break in the student's litany and said,
    'You're right, son. We didn't have those things when we were young........
    so we invented them. Now, you arrogant little shit, what are you doing
    for the next generation?'

The applause was resounding... I love senior citizens
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    It is my opinion that each generation is more self centered than the one before.
    Save room for dessert!