This generation sucks...

he still standshe still stands Posts: 2,835
edited April 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
I was born in 1980 and I've gotten to the point where I don't understand these kids, fads, pop music, clothes, etc.

Do any other children of the 80's/90's think that this new generation (what is it called, anyway?) is a bunch of pussies?

Maybe I'm just following the typical cynical progression into the meaningless existence of adulthood...

this pretty much sums it up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n34eeXWjUQ
Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    I think the same things were said of us as well.

But I cant help but be very concerned for the generation(s) after us. Most of them have no fear of authority at all. Too many parents dont do any teaching themselves, and blame the outside world whenever their kid fails or is challenged.
  • MF151004MF151004 Posts: 31
    I live in a town where every sports team make sthe playoffs no matter how bad they are. I'm all for sportsmanship but it sets the precidence that everything will be handed to you without putting forth any effort. Scary thoughts to se ewhat their kids will become.
    Dodge Music Center - Oct 02, 1996,Great Woods Center - Sep 15, 1998,Tweeter Center - Aug 30, 2000,Tweeter Center - Jul 02, 2003,Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003,Tweeter Center - Jun 28, 2008,Tweeter Center - Jun 30, 2008,Fleet Center - Sep 29, 2004,TD Banknorth Garden - May 24, 2006,TD Banknorth Garden - May 25, 2006,United Center - Aug 23, 2009
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    this happens around 30 ;)

and with each generation

its got to be the rock and roll music ;);)

seriously nothings really changed except kids are not allowed to be kids anymore, innocence is gone so early
    and complicating this is that the world is a dangerous place with dangerous influences more so each year
    parents still try to keep there kids safe but it is harder than ever.
  • MayDay10 wrote:

But I cant help but be very concerned for the generation(s) after us. Most of them have no fear of authority at all. Too many parents dont do any teaching themselves, and blame the outside world whenever their kid fails or is challenged.

yeah but since the 50s/60s the new generation has always been criticized for lacking the correct moral compass or not being in-line with the mainstream. I'm criticizing this generation for something altogether different.

Today, I think that kids are all defeatist pussies who don't have any ambition, no excitement for adventure/experience, and are okay with a meaningless existence consisting of video games, stealing their parents prescription drugs, and developing a flabby and pale body.

But maybe that is just the small sample group that I am aware of (probably 20 - 50 kids) in my localized geography in Eastern PA. Maybe kids elsewhere are different...
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    edited March 2010
    Dude, people have always been the same. There's always been "pop" music that people don't like. You're just getting old and out of touch. There's plenty of new amazing stuff out there. Stop living in the past and look around and you'll be amazed!

Our parents said the same thing about us too and their parents about them too. Go figure.. This thought is nothing new. It's all state of mind.

Plus, with the internet, we have access to SO much more than our parents did. This past decade has been the best yet as far as access to culture and music.
    Post edited by LikeAnOcean on
  • Dude, people have always been the same. There's always been "pop" music that people don't like. You're just getting old and out of touch. There's plenty of new amazing stuff out there. Stop living in the past and look around and you'll be amazed!

Our parents said the same thing about us too. Go figure.

Plus, with the internet, we have access to SO much more than our parents did.

did anybody actually read what I posted? Or watch the video? :?
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    edited March 2010
    I was born in 1980 and I've gotten to the point where I don't understand these kids, fads, pop music, clothes, etc.

Do any other children of the 80's/90's think that this new generation (what is it called, anyway?) is a bunch of pussies?

Maybe I'm just following the typical cynical progression into the meaningless existence of adulthood...

this pretty much sums it up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n34eeXWjUQ

You are getting old!!!

Like the rest of us. hahahahaha

I think the same thing sometimes. Especially when I realize that products and commercials and entertainment are no longer directed right at me. At 38, I am out of the prime demographic I guess.

Sorry, I didn't watch the video. Will do that now!
    Post edited by Flagg on
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Dude, people have always been the same. There's always been "pop" music that people don't like. You're just getting old and out of touch. There's plenty of new amazing stuff out there. Stop living in the past and look around and you'll be amazed!

Our parents said the same thing about us too. Go figure.

Plus, with the internet, we have access to SO much more than our parents did.

did anybody actually read what I posted? Or watch the video? :?
    OK, I watched the video. I see your point... It's still state of mind though. I really don't think people have really changed much.
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    I agree with the OP. Reports are that the current generation of kids will be the first generation since we began keeping records that are less healthy (heavier/sicker) than their parents. I know there is a lot more to what "he still stands" has commented on, but I think it's all tied in.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    you're officially old.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • OK, I watched the video. I see your point... It's still state of mind though. I really don't think people have really changed much.

Definitely a "state of mind." Just like all models or "points of view" it is not 100% correct, nor is it 100% incorrect.

However, I think society has created a culture of apathy and ignorance. Do as you're told or we'll banish you from the tribe.

Maybe my signature has something to do with that?

There are so many laws, rules, guidlines, norms to follow nowadays that everyone blindly follows. There used to be a sense of freedom and an "outlaw attitude" in our culture that is slowly fading away. The function of the new generation has always been to remind us that this game is an illusion and to give us artifacts or symbols to remind us that we have a choice.

I'm seeing fewer of these symbols (art) or at least fewer quality symbols and more produced symbols bought by the young generation rather than created by them.
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    MayDay10 wrote:

yeah but since the 50s/60s the new generation has always been criticized for lacking the correct moral compass or not being in-line with the mainstream. I'm criticizing this generation for something altogether different.

Today, I think that kids are all defeatist pussies who don't have any ambition, no excitement for adventure/experience, and are okay with a meaningless existence consisting of video games, stealing their parents prescription drugs, and developing a flabby and pale body.
    But maybe that is just the small sample group that I am aware of (probably 20 - 50 kids) in my localized geography in Eastern PA. Maybe kids elsewhere are different...

awesome.
    yea defeatist pussies is perfect.
    i don't think it's localized. every kid down here thinks they're in the village and is on opium. seriously
  • peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    However, I think society has created a culture of apathy and ignorance. Do as you're told or we'll banish you from the tribe.

Maybe my signature has something to do with that?

There are so many laws, rules, guidlines, norms to follow nowadays that everyone blindly follows. There used to be a sense of freedom and an "outlaw attitude" in our culture that is slowly fading away. The function of the new generation has always been to remind us that this game is an illusion and to give us artifacts or symbols to remind us that we have a choice.

I'm seeing fewer of these symbols (art) or at least fewer quality symbols and more produced symbols bought by the young generation rather than created by them.

I agree with this...I think that's kind of always been there but maybe more so now....I'm from a small town and was considered "weird" by others, especially when I was in school, because I wasn't like everyone else and didn't follow and do what everyone else was doing...and really I didn't want to be like them anyway

It's also just part of getting older....I'll be 30 this year too ;)
  • jones wrote:
    awesome.
    yea defeatist pussies is perfect.
    i don't think it's localized. every kid down here thinks they're in the village and is on opium. seriously

Like M. Night Shyamalan's "Village"? Interesting... I kinda had that thought for a few months after doing lsd but even then my takeaway from that experience was that I AM MY OWN WORST ENEMY and that even if none of this is real, I should make the most out of it.

Because the pessimist is fucked either way; if he is wrong, then he spent his whole life thinking that life was shit and he missed his only chance at experiencing this wonderful world... if he is right, then who cares? He gets to say "I told you so" in that split-second of infinite awareness as he dies. whoop-tee-do.

I'd rather be optimistic... another quality missing from today's youth.
  • cdp1223cdp1223 Posts: 1,131
    Have you been spending the morning telling kids to get off your lawn? :|:mrgreen:
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    I'm more disgusted with the sick fucks this world has in it and how the justice system fails on keeping these people behind bars
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    What's a generation? It seems like it all just flows together.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • know1 wrote:

I guess generations are defined by major cultural achievements, societal milestones, etc.

Baby boomers were post WWII

Gen X was the product of cultural revolution of the 60s and 70s

Gen Y was the result of the "Information Age"... mass communication, information acceleration

Gen Z or the "Digital Natives" were born in the 2000's and grew up on the internets.

I guess I am referring to late Gen Y (people born after 1990 or so).
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    hahahahaha...i was born in 1968. :?
    so i don't 'understand' most of you even born in 1980. yikes. ;):mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• canoegirlcanoegirl Posts: 295
    choose to see what you will, my daughter went to her job today a job that she got on her own a job she loves and has passion for, wearing no makeup and still showing beauty, wearing clothing that shows she has respect for herself and others, she is exploring life while making her own as she grows, she is a positive in this next generation
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    when I was 11 years old, I was sent home from school for wearing a Bart Simpson "Don't Have a Cow Man" T-shirt.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157

i dislike anyone born in the 80's or 90's.
    their music blows chunks and their cell phones piss me off.
    :mrgreen: :crazy:
    i vote for old people
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • It's a matter of perception and each generation seems to go through it when they look at younger generations. I thought the same thing about kids who were born in the 80's :)

Study: Today's youth aren't ego-driven slackers after all
    15-Mar-2010
    http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/ ... 031510.php
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    MayDay10 wrote:
    when I was 11 years old, I was sent home from school for wearing a Bart Simpson "Don't Have a Cow Man" T-shirt.

:lol:

when i was a kid my mother took away the billy joel album - the stranger from my sister b/c of the 'insulting & offensive lyrics' about catholic girls. :D if she ever heard even half the shit out there nowadays...... :shock:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    know1 wrote:

I guess generations are defined by major cultural achievements, societal milestones, etc.

Baby boomers were post WWII

Gen X was the product of cultural revolution of the 60s and 70s

Gen Y was the result of the "Information Age"... mass communication, information acceleration

Gen Z or the "Digital Natives" were born in the 2000's and grew up on the internets.

I guess I am referring to late Gen Y (people born after 1990 or so).

I think sweeping generalities like that can be dangerous and lead to stereotypes. People are people. They're all different and unique.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • jezebeloriajezebeloria Posts: 600
    chadwick wrote:

i dislike anyone born in the 80's or 90's.
    their music blows chunks and their cell phones piss me off.
    :mrgreen: :crazy:
    i vote for old people

Couldnt agree with you more. This is why i got out of management. No work ethic whatsoever!!! And, and, and, I could go on for hours on my issues with the 20 somethings. For the most part they are just lazy and feel some sense of entitlement. Sucks getting older in an industry that is only getting younger!
    PJ FANS ROCK!!!

Finally got that "One for the Thumb"!!! Got the "Six Pack". Now we're on a "Stairway to Seven"

Some words when spoken...can't be taken back.

"Seeing a brick wall straight ahead and stepping on the gas." Eddie...Pittsburgh 6/23/06
  • It is a matter of what the generation does for everyone else. There used to be good art, new ideas, *gasp* new music styles, cultural symbols and artifacts that reminded us that life is worth living, that there is a correct code of conduct that is contrary to the mainstream, or just reminding everyone in the elder generations that they are getting screwed. These have been the functions of the "in-generation" since the world starting going to shit in the 19th century.

Maybe it is just me, I don't see it anymore. No, I don't think it is because I am getting "old." (I'm 29 for christ's sake) I understand that most people go through this and it is a matter of perception. Yes, I know all perception is gamble. Fuck man I'm trying to objectively state that this generation sucks.

What art, music, ideas, etc have been presented in the last 10 or 15 years that are worth a damn?

I like this thing called dubstep I guess... its okay. Art is created mostly by fucking computers anymore. Maybe we're all out of ideas? Time to hang it up and call it a nice attempt at civilization?
  • whgarrettwhgarrett Posts: 574
    The idea of "generations" has become nothing but a marketing scheme. Don't buy into it. :D
  • tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    I blame the parents.
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    I blame tv