Sleep - How much do you need/get?

Comments

• JukeeJukee Posts: 4,500
    I need a good 7-8 hours a night and I'm still tired. I've been tired most days for as long as I can remember...my dad say's its in my genes and that memebers of my family are the same way. Last night I had a few too many beers and stayed up way to late and only got 4.5 hours and i'm sitting here at work regretting it big time!
    If you have nothing to lose, you have nothing to worry about.
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    mca47 wrote:
    My schedule is very sporadic. I travel a lot for work and my sleep schedule is constantly messed up.

I'm a naturally horrible sleeper. Have been since I was a kid. I just can't shut off my brain most times...it just keeps running like someone constantly flipping channels on the TV! :(

Anyways, how much sleep do you get and how much sleep do you require to "be your self" or "function".

On average I'd say I get about 5 hours/night.
    I don't know what I need as I can't sleep worth shit. Even those nights I sleep 8-10 hours (very rare), I don't feel any better.

i used to be like you. always.
    nowadays, with my first real job with regular, consistent hours...i sleep sooooo much better!
    i have been having a bit of difficulty lately, but i think it's b/c i recently started having caffeine again. gonna work on that.

that said, i get 7-9 hours a night. :shock: i know, i know.....and it makes me so HAPPY. :mrgreen: weekdays i probably average 7-8.....weekends i can hit the 9. if i manage to get to sleep decently, it's soooo amazing.....b/c you bet, then it definitely is closer to 8. LOVE SLEEP....and getting good sleep FEELS sooooo GOOD, and it is so much better for your overall health.

oh, and to just function, i need 5-6. but really, i am barely functional. gone are the days of being able to work on little to no sleep....definite sign of aging for me.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Get 4-5
    Need 4-5

Weekends it's up to 6-7, but I never sleep through the night, up at 2 or 3 am and read a magazing or something...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    what's sleep?
    whatever it is you're speaking of i don't get it.
    i'm not required to have such a thing.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    i sleep only when people starts bitching in the forum.. :lol::lol:
    you must be well rested :lol:
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • On a boring evening during the week I will usually get in bed at 10 or so and sleep til 7, but here lately my schedule has been anything but typical. I'm running on four hours sleep today and over the last few weeks that type of thing has been more of the norm.

I sleep as much as I possibly can on the weekends but that hasn't even happened lately and loves me some sleep....but I'm having a good time. Given my drinking and my age, I like to think I still hold up as well as any college boy could especially with an 8-5 job.

So I can get by with 4-5 hours, but ideally I would sleep get around 10 every night and take a nap every afternoon still :D
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    anywhere between 6&8
    sometimes 9 on the weekends

what I get seems to pretty much be what I need

overall I sleep pretty well
  • CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    5-6 is all my body needs, though I love to sleep more :D
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    i sleep only when people starts bitching in the forum.. :lol::lol:
    you must be well rested :lol:
    :yawn: :lol::lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    On why they think getting 8.5 hrs might be worse for you than getting 5 hrs..

http://www.time.com/time/health/article ... 20,00.html

Studies show 6.5 to 7.5 hr rest people live the longest.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,283
    I wish I could nap.

If I do take a cat nap, (30 mins or so) I feel worse when I wake up than I did before.

I hate all of you nappers! :lol:
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    about 7-8 during the week. on the weekend there is a good chance i take a nap.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    8 hours would be nice
    7 hours seems allright
    6 hours is fine one or 2 nights in a row, but eventually kills me, and i need a good 10 hour sleep on the weekend to catch up
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • JPinksJPinks Posts: 60
    Need-6
    Get-8

I don't know what it is, but I've been sleeping consistenly great since I moved to Philly 3 years ago?
    96 - Toledo
    98 - East Troy (x2), East Lansing, Auburn Hills, Cleveland
    00 - Noblesville, Cincinnati, Columbus, Auburn Hills, East Troy, Chicago
    03 - Cleveland, Columbus, Clarkston (x2)
    04 - Toledo, Grand Rapids
    06 - Auburn Hills, Camden (x2), DC
    08 - Camden (x2), MSG (x2), Ed in Newark
    09 - Ed in Philly (x2), The Spectrum (x4)
    10 - Cleveland
  • LauriLauri Posts: 748
    I need like 10 hours a night (seriously) but I get like 7, sometimes 6. I usually fall asleep ok, but I have a hard time getting myself into bed at night.
  • StarfallStarfall Posts: 548
    How much do I need? 7-8 hours.
    How much do I get? Depends on who's with me. :lol:
    "It's not hard to own something. Or everything. You just have to know that it's yours, and then be willing to let it go." - Neil Gaiman, "Stardust"
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    4-5 hours, been told it's likely hereditary.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    prefer 8-10hrs

depending on work shifts (night worker) get anything thing between 3 -6, but come my nights off I usually get my 10hrs
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,283
    I got about 9 last night!! The most I've gotten in months!

Feels like I got too much. Kinda groggy feeling...
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    I did not get enough last night
    GRUMPY!!!!! :evil:
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Generally get a broken 7, usually have to get up in the night to read. Have had bad bouts of insomnia so I don't think I'm doing so bad at the mo.

Mind you the bags under my eyes tell me I need more.
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    this is very bad but i tend to have about 3-4 hours a night m-f and about 5-6 on weekends. i find that i am more tired the more i sleep
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,474
    Took some tylenol pm last night....
    Slept 12 hours....

Life is good......
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I sleep restless at night probably due to the time in my life. I get off /on maybe 5 hours.
    But now I can nap, never could as a young woman, I was kind of hyperactive
    so add 1 to 2 if I get to nap.
  • stardust1976stardust1976 Posts: 1,301
    If I get less than 7-9 hours, I'm ratshit. I can survive on 6 hours a night, but only for a few nights. And I'll need a nap at some point in the day. I'm normally in bed and asleep by somewhere between 9:30 and 11:00pm, and am up at 6.

the only time I really have trouble sleeping is when I've got something important on my mind. Most times, I can visualise writing it down (whatever is bugging me), and then visualise throwing that piece of paper out, and it works like a charm, sleep like a baby. Other times, I physically have to write it down to get it out of my head, and then I'm usually good to go. The occasional time I really can't get to sleep, and lay there awake for hours, I'm like a zombie the next day, so I really feel for people who can't get enough sleep.

Speaking of which....looks like it's my bedtime! Night all!
    I've been sleeping like shit lately.. maybe 6 hrs, but waking up 3 or 4 times throughout the night.
  • WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    would prefer 8-9hrs but generally get 7-8, not bad. I can run on less than that for days but come the weekend, I'll make up for it with a 10hr night and a nap during the day.
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
    Whizbang wrote:
    would prefer 8-9hrs but generally get 7-8, not bad. I can run on less than that for days but come the weekend, I'll make up for it with a 10hr night and a nap during the day.
    7 to 8 is better for you.. I've heard its just as bad to over sleep. 5.5 hrs is better than 8.5 hrs... In studies, people who get 6.5 to 7.5 hrs live the longest.
  • CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    Gob wrote:
    I've been sleeping like shit lately.. maybe 6 hrs, but waking up 3 or 4 times throughout the night.
    I love your screen name and avatar!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"