Sleep - How much do you need/get?

mca47mca47 Posts: 13,283
edited April 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
My schedule is very sporadic. I travel a lot for work and my sleep schedule is constantly messed up.

I'm a naturally horrible sleeper. Have been since I was a kid. I just can't shut off my brain most times...it just keeps running like someone constantly flipping channels on the TV! :(

Anyways, how much sleep do you get and how much sleep do you require to "be your self" or "function".

On average I'd say I get about 5 hours/night.
I don't know what I need as I can't sleep worth shit. Even those nights I sleep 8-10 hours (very rare), I don't feel any better.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,474
    I get 6-8....M-F

Weekends I try to get 8-10....And also throw a 2-3 hour nap in there, if possible......
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    I get about 7 per night.

I read (1 of 10,000 studies on it I know), that you need like 5-8, but you are better off at the lower end of that number.

Like 6 is perfect or something?
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    I think it varies for different people. I need at least 8, but usually don't get more than 6. Now that you mention it, it's past my bedtime! Goodnight.
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,474
    About a year ago I discovered Tylenol PM....Holy fuck are those great....

Take 2 of those, and I will easily get 10 hours, of sound sleep....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    I totally screw myself week in and week out for years.. i stay up and party alot during the week for the band and cause i just like it but have an 8-5.. i usually get 4-5 m-f with an hour nap the moment i get home from work.. then i sleep for 12 hours on the weekend nights/monrings.. which means my body cant handle mondays at all
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Not enough and not a good quality sleep!
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    edited March 2010
    I'm the same way. I need a set schedule.. if everything is consistent, I'll get 7 to 7.5 hrs sleep a night. I'll get occasional insomnia..

It's really hard for me to go to bed even an hour earlier than normal or sleep an hour later.. I'm usually in bed from 12:30 to 8 AM, but lately, late work hours have had me up until 4 am and barely being able to sleep past 9.
    Post edited by LikeAnOcean on
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    edited March 2010
    redrock wrote:
    I've read over sleeping can be worse for you than under sleeping... for instance, in most people its better to have 5 hrs sleep than 8.5 hours.. 6.5 to 7.5 is good for most healthy adults.

You go through two sleep cycles that are around 3.5 hours each. It's not good to break them, and many wake up in between them.
    Post edited by LikeAnOcean on
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    I am screwed either way i guess
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • NastasjaNastasja Posts: 9,668
    5-6 hrs of bad quality
    You can spend your time alone, re-digesting past regrets,
    Or you can come to terms and realize
    You're the only one who can't forgive yourself
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    Mon to Fri - 6 hours
    Sat & Sun - 8 hours

I fucking love afternoon snoozes though and generally have one for an hour on a Sunday. My perfect sleeping scenario for maximum productivity:

Midnight -- Go to bed
    6am -- Wake up
    2pm - One hour snooze (maybe 1.5 hours if I'm really tired)

That second burst of energy after the afternoon snooze enables me to be really productive right up until really late at night.
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    edited March 2010
    in most people its better to have 5 hrs sleep than 8.5 hours.. 6.5 to 7.5 is good for most healthy adults.

Yeah....I function way better on 5 hours than 8.5 hours. During the week I feel shit at work after an 8 - 9 hour sleep.
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • CazzaBGirlCazzaBGirl Posts: 234
    6-8 if i can but its but always broken sleep .... had bouts of really bad insomnia a few years ago :shock: ....it sucked!!!
    Hold on to the thread....The currents will shift....Glide me towards you....

I know someday you'll have a beautiful life....
  • Hub.Hub. Posts: 1,990
    I need 6-7 of good sleep per night, though during the week I have 5-6 hours of bad sleep.
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    redrock wrote:
    I've read over sleeping can be worse for you than under sleeping... for instance, in most people its better to have 5 hrs sleep than 8.5 hours.. 6.5 to 7.5 is good for most healthy adults.

You go through two sleep cycles that are around 3.5 hours each. It's not good to break them, and many wake up in between them.

From what my doctor was telling me, I understood that the sleep cylcles were 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours max each, the first 'cycle' being the longest one because you have the 'fall asleep' bit. Then the length of the various stages of sleep change as the night goes on (deep sleep shortens, REM lengthens). Both of these are vital to the body/brain.

Length of sleep necessary depends on so many factors... age, health, lifestyle, etc. though, as mentioned 7 hours is a good average. But quality of sleep is the most important. If you sleep for 7 hours but your cycle is constantly interrupted, it's no use. If you sleep 4 hours but these are 4 good hours, you're OK.
  • wpg pearlwpg pearl Posts: 1,258
    lol ...im in the ten club
    i get 10 hours sleep a night..........
    need less but get 10........10 is a better number
    i heard 10 hours sleep a night make me a better man
    it all started with 10 and now its 2010...................
    its worked for me so far i am a 10 outta 10............
    honest ,try getting 10 hours sleep a night u will feel 10 times better.........
    ajb
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    on a good night I get around 6 hours of sleep... :yawn:

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • PakaPaka Posts: 471
    very intersting thread!

I'm at work at the moment so can't say a lot. will get back to this later today.

the only thing I can say and approve from my own experience is: being an earlybird fuckin' rules!! :D
  • PapPap Posts: 28,823
    8 perfect hours - with dreams usually (bad and good) - every day. Sometimes I take a 30 minute nap at noon (it's really refreshing! Try it!).
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    wpg pearl wrote:
    lol ...im in the ten club
    i get 10 hours sleep a night..........
    need less but get 10........10 is a better number
    i heard 10 hours sleep a night make me a better man
    it all started with 10 and now its 2010...................
    its worked for me so far i am a 10 outta 10............
    honest ,try getting 10 hours sleep a night u will feel 10 times better.........

10 hours?! I wish!

Anything less than 6 hours and I know I'm gonna be a mess the next day. 7-8 is probably more typical for me. It's pretty rare for me to sleep in these days. When I was a teenager I would often miss the whole morning if I didn't have to get up!
  • 6 hours good or bad
  • My sleep pattern / needs are constantly changing as I work two or three evenings a week. Sometimes 7 hours is enough, sometimes it's 8 and a half to nine. Sometimes I sleep soundly, other nights I don't.

No matter how tired I am, though, a nap in the day is out the question. It makes me slightly nauseous and, for the rest of the day, I'm about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike.
    It's gonna be a glorious day...
  • Most of the time i sleep about nine hours. Over the summer, i found an article. It talked about doctors found a link between alzheimer's disease and not sleeping atleast 8 hours a nite.
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    About a year ago I discovered Tylenol PM....Holy fuck are those great....

Take 2 of those, and I will easily get 10 hours, of sound sleep....

Hi, I have to agree- I just love Tylenol PM. I'm afraid I'll get addicted, so I only take it when I'm desperate for sleep. I'm small frame, so (1) pill - knocks me out - :D
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    I feel I need about (7) hours of sleep - do I get that much, no. Unless I take my sleeping pill !!
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • MK1980MK1980 Posts: 291
    I need between 7-8 hours a night good sleep. When I do a late shift and come home to a sleeping house, I can't make too much noise, and find I'm still wired from what went on at work...luckily I enjoy my job and work mates are all good friends...on ave. I get seven and a half, weekends less...too much to do on days off:)
    How I choose to feel is how I am...I will not lose my faith, It's an inside job today.
    Manchester Aug 17th 2009
    Hyde Park June 25th 2010
    Manchester June 20th & 21st 2012
    Leeds July 14th 2014
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    Weekdays, about 10-5:30

weekends about 3-10

for years I had terrible trouble sleeping. wouldnt be able to fall asleep easily and I would wake up constantly. I never had dreams. I was prescribed Rozerem (sp) once. I didnt even get through the bottle before my sleep pattern was completely fixed.
  • vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,861
    7ish week days
    10ish weekends + snoozes :yawn:
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    I get about 5-6 per night. I feel really good if I get 7. Anymore than that and I feel sluggish.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    i sleep only when people starts bitching in the forum.. :lol::lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”