Thoughts on Ten being re-released?

Comments

• Options
    smile05smile05 Posts: 600
    you never know, they might through in unplugged has the second disk
    1:Black 2:Corduroy 3:All Those Yesterdays 4:I Got ID 5:Smile

They can buy but cant put on my clothes
    Throw down my ace in the hole~~~~~~

Let's go for three in a row, no sorry i can't think of anything thats not funny. - Paul Merton

London96,Manchester00,Berlin06,London07
  • Options
    stonegstoneg Posts: 1,940
    Rather have a new album.I have brought TEN enough times from wearing it out.I really don't need to buy it again.But I am sure the Ten Club will throw in a cool bootleg with it like they did with the last album.
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
    Eddie Vedder Clearwater both nights 2012
  • Options
    ZanneZanne Posts: 899
    i think they should record a new album instead, and call it ELEVEN

it's like TEN, but it's just a little bit better.

and make it go to 11? =)
    Just me
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    Hey here's an idea. Instead of re-releasing Ten for like the third time or something, why not re-release the other records. ON VINYL. Most have said they wanted that. Ten has been re-released on Vinyl already and there is an import version with 3 extra tracks. Leave Ten alone. Focus on some more of Pearl Jam's brilliant work instead of just their first record.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    The only way I am going to get excited about the reissue is if the entire album is also going to be in 5.1 surround sound on some bonus disc (either SACD or DVD-A).

All Pearl Jam albums should be reissued with 5.1 surround sound as a bonus.
    "I'll end up alone like I began..."

"You need the patience of like a National Geographic photographer sitting underneath the bush in a tent, trying to get a picture of zebras fucking or something for the first time." -Eddie Vedder
  • Options
    NewDamageNewDamage Posts: 1,913
    I'm hoping it gets a serious re-mastering and the bonus disc somehow includes some outtakes we haven't heard and had no idea about. Like someone said previously, I thought I had heard of everything from that era til "Hold On" emerged on Lost Dogs, so maybe others are out there.
    I am lost, I'm no guide. But I'm by your side...

8/25/92, 10/4/96, 10/5/96, 9/1/98, 9/4/98, 8/4/00, 8/6/00, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 10/6/04, 6/16/08
  • Options
    October22 wrote:
    I'm sure it will have something compelling about it. I think it's all part of a greater marketing push for the release of the new album. I don't mean to sound cynical about it either, because I'm not. I think it's a good thing.

Since the next studio album is number 9 it makes sense that they'd re-release Ten as their 10th. Hopefully it's a hint of things to come.
  • Options
    pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    MrSmith wrote:
    well, thats a bit of a stretch, but whatevah.
    What about Goat? or was that a Bad Radio thing. i cant remember.

i dont see them releasing any of that stuff anyway. I think Ed hated Brother for example.

Goat was a PJ outtake. :)
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    is this an Epic thing or a PJ thing? Seems like Epic would be the people with the rights to do whatever they want with it. in that case it would probably just be a generic re-issue to make a few more bucks.
  • Options
    MrSmith wrote:
    is this an Epic thing or a PJ thing? Seems like Epic would be the people with the rights to do whatever they want with it. in that case it would probably just be a generic re-issue to make a few more bucks.
    I believe its a Sony/Legacy re-issue. Two and sometimes three disc editions of popular/influential/groundbreaking/defining albums by various Epic/Sony artists.

8/25/92, 10/4/96, 10/5/96, 9/1/98, 9/4/98, 8/4/00, 8/6/00, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 10/6/04, 6/16/08
  • Options
    Almost all bands re-issue albums which were made so long ago that technology has moved on enough for it to sound better now. I'm not actually sure how Ten can sound better, but they will try to throw some interesting stuff in there. Footsteps, Unplugged, a rarities collection...

To be honest, for most of us who already have (by hook or by crook) almost everything PJ have done, it is just a purchase to complete the ever-growing collection, but I think it would be done as a way to hype the new album among a younger audience who may have 'missed' the early 90's and in that way serves it's purpose. Bands need fans and if the fan base drops significantly, bands are prone to calling it a day. PJ need to stay relevant and therefore anything they do to prolong their career is fine by me :)

As for people calling it crass money-making, I'd say 'don't buy it then'.
    we're all going to the same place...
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    im cool with a re-release. so long as its re-mixed and mastered.

get rid of some of that reverb.

though i think it would be better for the 20th anni.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    timmyshee wrote:
    To be honest, for most of us who already have (by hook or by crook) almost everything PJ have done, it is just a purchase to complete the ever-growing collection, but I think it would be done as a way to hype the new album among a younger audience who may have 'missed' the early 90's and in that way serves it's purpose. Bands need fans and if the fan base drops significantly, bands are prone to calling it a day. PJ need to stay relevant and therefore anything they do to prolong their career is fine by me :)

yeah, i dont see it being anything new for the hardest of the hardcore. thats fine with me.
  • Options
    They are far from the biggest band in the world anymore but they are still very relevant. I don't think a Ten re-release is an attempt to remain relevant.

• Options
    I think this is great. Ten is the album that got me so obsessed with Pearl Jam, and still remains the most perfect album ever recorded, for me.. and re-mastered? What's not to like?
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    Very interesting and very expensive:

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/8114774/Ten/Product.html
    Dublin '96, '00, '06, '10
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • Options
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    I agree. I don't understand where all the talk about how Vedder doesn't like his lyrics to this song comes from. I think those lyrics are great. They say so much without saying much if you get my drift.

It comes from Ed himself.
    Can't escape from the common rule...
    If you hate something, don't you do it too
  • Options
    CobCob Posts: 857
    I already posted this on another thread, not sure if I am reading them right, is Pearl Jam thinking of making a re issue CD of Ten with extra songs??? Because I buy records all the time and it's been my understanding that Ten has been re issued on vinyl for a while now.

http://www.soundstagedirect.com/pearl-jam-ten-180-vinyl-lp.shtml

http://www.soundstagedirect.com/pearl-jam.shtml
    [img][/img]9/5/92, 11/20/93, 3/14,15/94, 9/16/95, 10/14,15/2000
    4/5,6/9/2003, 9/1/05, 12/7/2005, 7/15,16,18/2006, 8/5/2007
    6/24,25/08,6/27/08,6/28/08,6/30/08
    9/21,22/2009, 10/4/2009
    5/6,7,9/2010, 9/3/2011 9/4/2011, 11/15/2013,
    11/16/2013, 12/8/2013, 10/5/2014, 10/12/2014,
    4/23, 5/10, 5/12, 8/20, 8/22 2016,
    8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20 2018, 5/12, 5/13, 9/20 2022

• Options
    PJ212PJ212 Posts: 811
    17 years... we are all getting old.

Wasn't it Stone who said they should've mixed/mastered the album differently in the first place? Maybe that's why they'll release Ten again.

The Beatles and The Beach Boys have all re-released their albums why not Pearl Jam.
    2000: CLT, Greensboro, 2003: MSG 1 & 2, 2008: MSG 1 & 2, 2009: LA 2 & 3, 2011: Vancouver, 2012: Missoula, 2013: Wrigley, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Voodoo, SD, LA 1 & 2, OAK, PDX, Vancouver, SEA, 2014: Cincy, ACL1, Tulsa, Lincoln, Memphis, Moline, St. Paul, MKE, DEN, Bridge 1 & 2, 2015: GCF, Mexico City, 2016: FLL, MIA, TPA, Greenville, Hampton, Columbia, MSG 1 & 2, Bonnaroo, Telluride, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley 1 & 2, 2017: ROHF, 2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1
  • Options
    Cob wrote:
    I already posted this on another thread, not sure if I am reading them right, is Pearl Jam thinking of making a re issue CD of Ten with extra songs??? Because I buy records all the time and it's been my understanding that Ten has been re issued on vinyl for a while now.

http://www.soundstagedirect.com/pearl-jam-ten-180-vinyl-lp.shtml

The reissue of Ten that's been listed on various retail websites is identified as being a two-disc set, so some have speculated that the other disc will be a disc full of rarities/B-sides, while others have speculated that it may be a live show from 1991-1992 or a compilation of live versions of songs from Ten.
  • Options
    DonJonDonJon Posts: 5,089
    Why would a band re-release an album?? Seems strange.

Unless as stated above...it has a heap of b sides
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • Options
    DonJon wrote:

It may not be the band's decision, but rather Sony's. Sony has released Legacy Editions of albums in the past.
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    DonJon wrote:

I think they'll remix the rest of it like they did to Alive and Black from the greatest hits, maybe change the tracklisting, add a b-side and release a second CD of live versions of the songs included.
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    It may not be the band's decision, but rather Sony's. Sony has released Legacy Editions of albums in the past.
    Jeff talked about remixing the album for a rerelease years ago. The band was never really happy with the original over produced mix.
  • Options
    ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    i personally would just like an album version of Brother with lyrics.

Like this doesn't already exist.
  • Options
    Oz JammerOz Jammer Posts: 9,858
    Jeff talked about remixing the album for a rerelease years ago. The band was never really happy with the original over produced mix.

Taken from Wikipedia:

In subsequent years, band members have expressed dissatisfaction with the way the album's mixing turned out. In 2001, Ament said, "I'd love to remix Ten. Ed, for sure, would agree with me...It wouldn't be like changing performances; just pull some of the reverb off it."
    In 2002, Gossard said, "It was 'over-rocked', we were novices in the studio and spent too long recording, doing different takes, and killing the vibe and overdubbing tons of guitar. There's a lot of reverb on the record."
    In 2006, Vedder said, "I can listen to the early records [except] the first record...it's just the sound of the record. It was kind of mixed in a way that was...it was kind of produced."

Bring it on I say! It's time to improve on perfection :)
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    i think they should record a new album instead, and call it ELEVEN

it's like TEN, but it's just a little bit better.

HAHAHAHA that is a grand idea!!!! :D
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    It blew me away when I first put The Doors debut album remastered in my hifi for the first time and it will blow me away when I hear Ten remastered.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    if they can do the exact same job remixing the remaining tracks as they did on 'black' and 'alive' for the greatest hits, i'm defnitely all for it.

PLEASE REMIX THE OTHER 9 SONGS FOR THIS RE-RELEASE!!!!
  • Options
    I like when bands put out rarities, but I don't like it when you have to buy the original album again. Only hardcore fans will buy this 2 disc compilation, and what fan doesn't already have the original Ten disc?