FORCE OF NATURE ON SNL .....CONFIRMED.

124»

Comments

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    DewieCox wrote:
    MrSmith wrote:
    I think a previous poster nailed it in regards to "Force Of Nature" when they referred to it's anthemic nature.

It seems like many of the people who like "Force Of Nature" also liked "In Hiding" and in turn, it's seems like there is a segment of fans who don't like either of those. I've always thought "In Hiding" was underplayed even during the Yield tour and it looks like maybe "Force Of Nature" might suffer the same setlist fate.

I do think that "Force Of Nature" stands up strong both musically and lyrically though on Backspacer.
    It is anthemic. And maybe that isn't mutually exclusive with "old man rock" as someone else said.
    I don't mind anthemic though. I love the Who and they are about as anthemic a band as ever existed.
    I certainly wouldn't mind something uptempo though like "Gonna See My Friends" or "Supersonic" because it would seem a given that "Just Breathe" will get played and they really seemed to chose all the midtempo Backspacer songs for the ACL broadcast. We shall see.
    it doesnt sound anthemic at all to me. it just kinda drones along at the same pace with vanilla generic midtempo blandness.

i do like the lyrics, but good lyrics dont make a song. i can believe the same band that made Vitalogy and No COde made this 80s U2 buttrock tune.

You don't know what anthemic is.

You're saying Force of Nature is an anthem?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    DewieCox wrote:
    MrSmith wrote:

You're saying Force of Nature is an anthem?

Not totally, but it has a bit of that feel. I think it's the best song on BS and the only song that is even in the same league as their other albums.
  • DewieCox wrote:
    MrSmith wrote:
    I think a previous poster nailed it in regards to "Force Of Nature" when they referred to it's anthemic nature.

It seems like many of the people who like "Force Of Nature" also liked "In Hiding" and in turn, it's seems like there is a segment of fans who don't like either of those. I've always thought "In Hiding" was underplayed even during the Yield tour and it looks like maybe "Force Of Nature" might suffer the same setlist fate.

I do think that "Force Of Nature" stands up strong both musically and lyrically though on Backspacer.
    It is anthemic. And maybe that isn't mutually exclusive with "old man rock" as someone else said.
    I don't mind anthemic though. I love the Who and they are about as anthemic a band as ever existed.
    I certainly wouldn't mind something uptempo though like "Gonna See My Friends" or "Supersonic" because it would seem a given that "Just Breathe" will get played and they really seemed to chose all the midtempo Backspacer songs for the ACL broadcast. We shall see.
    it doesnt sound anthemic at all to me. it just kinda drones along at the same pace with vanilla generic midtempo blandness.

i do like the lyrics, but good lyrics dont make a song. i can believe the same band that made Vitalogy and No COde made this 80s U2 buttrock tune.

in what universe is FoN anthemic? it has pretty much the same beat through the whole song and Ed's voice keeps the same sort of strained monotone throughout. i dont care if you like it, but its definitely not an anthem.
  • MrSmith wrote:
    in what universe is FoN anthemic? it has pretty much the same beat through the whole song and Ed's voice keeps the same sort of strained monotone throughout. i dont care if you like it, but its definitely not an anthem.

I agree, nothing about this says 'Anthem' to me. Its a decent song but one of my least favourites on Backspacer. A bit like what cropduster is to Riot Act
    MrSmith wrote:

OOOOOOH... That explains it.... You're fucking deaf. Ed's vocal delivery, strained monotone??????? WTF

I never knew the drum beat is what made a song anthemic. I always think of the music(Mike's lead adds some anthemia) and vocal delivery(which is totally anthemic) when I think anthemic.
  • MrSmith wrote:

I agree, nothing about this says 'Anthem' to me. Its a decent song but one of my least favourites on Backspacer. A bit like what cropduster is to Riot Act
    yeah Cropduster is a good song to compare it to.
  • DewieCox wrote:
    MrSmith wrote:

OOOOOOH... That explains it.... You're fucking deaf. Ed's vocal delivery, strained monotone??????? WTF

I never knew the drum beat is what made a song anthemic. I always think of the music(Mike's lead adds some anthemia) and vocal delivery(which is totally anthemic) when I think anthemic.
    yeah well you go throw up the fist pumps for this thoroughly un-anthemic song!
  • pearlninpearlnin Posts: 69
    Last song to hit me but best song to hear with Army Reserve they both have that certain something!
  • serpent boyserpent boy Posts: 372
    The song's definitely not anthemic, but I frickin' love it. "Force of Nature," "Cropduster," "Evacuation," these are the types of songs that make me love Pearl Jam.

I could only dream that the thread title is real. :)
    00: Va Beach, 03: Bristow, 04: Reading, 05: Atlantic City 2x
    06: Camden, Washington DC, 08: Va Beach, Washington DC
    09: Philly 2+3, 10: Bristow, 11: East Troy PJ20 1+2, 13: Baltimore, Charlottesville
  • walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,569
    I love FoN, but it's definitely not anthemic.

Unthought Known and Against the Waves are the most anthemic songs on the album.

Also, Got Some is the best live song on the album...haven't even seen it mentioned in this thread yet.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • I think it will be Force of nature tonight. It was played on the radio here a couple of days ago.

Also, Got Some is the best live song on the album...haven't even seen it mentioned in this thread yet.

Unthought Known is anthemic and FoN isn't? UK blows hole for sure, but not in an anthemic way.
  • SmellymanSmellyman Posts: 4,524
    FoN my least fav on Backspacer.

I doubt they play it though. They don't think enough of it to play it in concert much.
    DewieCox wrote:

Unthought Known is anthemic and FoN isn't? UK blows hole for sure, but not in an anthemic way.

You're clearly in the minority here, even among FoN admirers.

So yes, UK is anthemic and FoN is not, and it's clear that that is the majority opinion.

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
    DewieCox wrote:

So yes, UK is anthemic and FoN is not, and it's clear that that is the majority opinion.

I'm just goin by a: the way the song makes me feel and b: the very definition of the word, according to Webster.

1 a : a psalm or hymn sung antiphonally or responsively b : a sacred vocal composition with words usually from the Scriptures
    2 : a song or hymn of praise or gladness
    3 : a usually rousing popular song that typifies or is identified with a particular subculture, movement, or point of view
    DewieCox wrote:

So yes, UK is anthemic and FoN is not, and it's clear that that is the majority opinion.[/quote]

I'm just goin by a: the way the song makes me feel and b: the very definition of the word, according to Webster.

1 a : a psalm or hymn sung antiphonally or responsively b : a sacred vocal composition with words usually from the Scriptures
    2 : a song or hymn of praise or gladness
    3 : a usually rousing popular song that typifies or is identified with a particular subculture, movement, or point of view[/quote]

Right. And so are we. And according to the majority, FoN does not fit this definition. I don't really care how it makes you feel, but when you start insulting people because they disagree with you -- especially when you're clearly in the minority -- it just makes you look like a fool.

• mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,243
    DO NOT QUESTION THE JEAGLER :x :x

Oh Boy Jeagler....

...This does not look like a good ending for you :o
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave Posts: 41,823
    count it. :mrgreen:

:lol:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Oh really it's been confirmed even though they didn't play it.
  • mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,243
    Credibility...

toilet-flush.jpg
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    this prediction went the same way as that scorecard girl at the spectrum
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,151
    Nice call jabroni.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,594
    how do you guys not know by now that i am full of shit?!?! :lol::lol::lol::lol::mrgreen:

dopes! :twisted:
    www.myspace.com
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,464
    how do you guys not know by now that i am full of shit?!?! :lol::lol::lol::lol::mrgreen:

I have known you are full of shit, for YEARS!!!!! hehehehe
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078

i've known i read your posts in the eagles thread. ;) :shock: :)
    Go Birds!!!!
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,797
    Anyone who refers to themselves in the 3rd person..............
  • CranMalReignCranMalReign Posts: 1,928
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    this prediction went the same way as that scorecard girl at the spectrum

:lol:
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 03 Pgh|Philly|PSU|Camden 1+2|Hershey
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 08 Camden 1+2|Hartford|Mansfield 2
    • 09 Philly 1 [EV]|Toronto|Spectrum 1-4
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 13 London|Pgh|Buff|Philly 1+2|Balt
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 16 Philly 1+2|Philly 2 [TotD]
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • slingsling Posts: 169
    Ha ha, I was on to you, even as a newbie... although your dog looks pretty trustworthy... :)