FORCE OF NATURE ON SNL .....CONFIRMED.

Comments

• RM181658 wrote:
    This is a song the casual fan skips...Got Some, Unthought Known, The Fixer, and maybe The End are the only 'mass appeal' songs...

You can't be serious.
    FON is the song most people I play the new record to are attracted to immediately. It's really catchy.
    On the other side, The End is nowhere near mass appeal.
    Just my opinion.
  • Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    "Force of Nature" is a boring fucking song...I don't understand the love for it at all. It's "old man rock" personified. It's neither a highlight on Backspacer nor is it a song that the band should even be considering when taking the SNL stage.

I'd be REALLY disapointed if they played this.

1) IT'S A FACT...They are going to play "Just Breathe"

2) It's only logical that the next song...melt the fucking walls..."Gonna See My Friend" "Supersonic" or "Johnny Guitar" would be bad ass and it would show how diverse and awesome this band truly is.

"Force of Nature" would a dreadful game-time decision and it would be a total FAIL
  • gatorjamgatorjam Posts: 187
    Forces of nature is a great song. It is even better live, I saw them perform it in philly and it was awesome. I need to set my dvr I don't watch SNL because it sucks and I know I will forget to watch it.
    2003-Tampa
    2006-East Rutherford
    2008-West Palm Beach
    2009- Philadelphia
    2016- Fort Lauderdale and Miami
  • andrewb wrote:
    Can't wait til Saturday. I will be in the house!
    Bully for you, Andrew!
  • dwjmu84dwjmu84 Posts: 387
    RM181658 wrote:
    This is a song the casual fan skips...Got Some, Unthought Known, The Fixer, and maybe The End are the only 'mass appeal' songs...

You can't be serious.
    FON is the song most people I play the new record to are attracted to immediately. It's really catchy.
    Just my opinion.

yeah agreed. i have a hard time believing casual listeners skip FON. i did a twitter search of "force of nature" back in sept when backspacer was released and it seemed that a lot of people who picked up the album on a recommendation or probably to give it a shot (ie the casual fan) REALLY enjoyed FON. I sincerely hope they BLAST this song and nail it on SNL. I just hope enough people see it to make a difference. im tired of lady gaga, green day, and strugggglinngggg john mayer getting all the credit. people need to know that PJ is making some amazing music still!!!
  • drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    I love FoN... its my favorite on the album. But not my wife's by a longshot, so I guess everyone's going to have their own opinions.

Honestly I'm guessing the second song is going to be Just Breathe... so that first song really needs to be faster. I would personally like to see Gonna See My Friend... but otherwise I would either go with FoN or Unthought Known. The Fixer is old news now and Got Some has already had its national TV day.

Who knows... until later today when we hear from someone @ the rehearsal. :)
  • bigbadbill wrote:
    what if they perform a song slated for the rumored EP?
    Interesting take. One thing that hasn't been speculated (at least not on the sections of this thread that I've scanned) is whether Boom is making the trip to NYC. Without any other PJ appearances scheduled in the immediate aftermath of Saturday, it's highly conceivable that the big guy will be left behind. That puts the kibosh on my Unthought Known prediction.
  • drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    bigbadbill wrote:
    what if they perform a song slated for the rumored EP?
    Interesting take. One thing that hasn't been speculated (at least not on the sections of this thread that I've scanned) is whether Boom is making the trip to NYC. Without any other PJ appearances scheduled in the immediate aftermath of Saturday, it's highly conceivable that the big guy will be left behind. That puts the kibosh on my Unthought Known prediction.
    They could bring B'oB with a la the Who Honors show in LA... or just bring Boom, of course. :)
  • Bugs29Bugs29 Posts: 96
    edited March 2010
    dwjmu84 wrote:
    RM181658 wrote:

You can't be serious.
    Just my opinion.

yeah agreed. i have a hard time believing casual listeners skip FON. i did a twitter search of "force of nature" back in sept when backspacer was released and it seemed that a lot of people who picked up the album on a recommendation or probably to give it a shot (ie the casual fan) REALLY enjoyed FON. I sincerely hope they BLAST this song and nail it on SNL. I just hope enough people see it to make a difference. im tired of lady gaga, green day, and strugggglinngggg john mayer getting all the credit. people need to know that PJ is making some amazing music still!!!

We'd like to think everyone loves PJ as much as we do, but the fact is most people just don't feel it, except for maybe the classics. Every album after Vitalogy is only sprinkled with some hits (coinciding with sales as well). It seems some fans are just forcing this illusion of popularity for a reason that I don't understand. I mean really, totally objectively, popular culture lost interest a long time ago; they're not hanging on strong enough for a song like FON to invade the airwaves. Maybe a band like U2 could pull it off, but not Pearl Jam.
    Post edited by Bugs29 on
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    I think FON is a great song. I think FON, The Fixer, Just Breathe, Unthought Known, and Amongst the Waves would all be great choices. The Fixer is an old single though so they probably won't do that. I love Johnny Guitar but I don't see it appealing to the masses...Same with Gonna See my Friend.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,594
    sling wrote:
    both times they've played this show they did a single and then a non single. so FON might be in the cards!
    CONFIRMED BY ME.
    ME.
    THAT'S ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW.
    :x :x

I don't really get this... So is it "might" be in the cards? Or is it "confirmed"? :)

are you insinuating that i am sending out mixed signals? or are you outright suggesting i am?

please choose the answer that best fits and let me know.
    www.myspace.com
  • slingsling Posts: 169
    I guess I choose "outright suggesting the mixed signals". :)

Am I wrong about the mixed signals?
  • I like FON, my GF hates it and says it's "cheesy".

What I like about it? They layering. Check out the harpsichord (?) at the 1:12 mark and again at the 2:30 something mark. Also, is that a cowbell I hear? It's either that or a woodblock; either way, I love it.
    I'm about to explode cause I can't carry your load
  • Force of Nature is great. I'd be happy if they played that.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Gonzo1977 wrote:
    "Force of Nature" is a boring fucking song...I don't understand the love for it at all. It's "old man rock" personified. It's neither a highlight on Backspacer nor is it a song that the band should even be considering when taking the SNL stage.

2) It's only logical that the next song...melt the fucking walls..."Gonna See My Friend" "Supersonic" or "Johnny Guitar" would be bad ass and it would show how diverse and awesome this band truly is.

"Force of Nature" would a dreadful game-time decision and it would be a total FAIL

So FoN would fail b/c you say so? Easily one of the catchier more anthemic numbers from the album, imo.

What the hell is old man rock?
    sling wrote:
    I guess I choose "outright suggesting the mixed signals". :)

Am I wrong about the mixed signals?
    CORRECT!

YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT THE MIXED SIGNALS! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    www.myspace.com
  • walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,569
    For what it's worth, my fiancee is a very casual PJ fan, but FoN was the one song that stood out to her most when I gave her a copy of Backspacer.

I would love for them to play Amongst the Waves or Unthought Known, however. Both are explosive live; I had no idea until I saw them played at the LA shows.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    DO NOT QUESTION THE JEAGLER :x :x

Everyone SHOULD question you. I mean, you DID say that the phillies would be world champs again and THAT didn't happen!!! :lol:
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • I think a previous poster nailed it in regards to "Force Of Nature" when they referred to it's anthemic nature.

It seems like many of the people who like "Force Of Nature" also liked "In Hiding" and in turn, it's seems like there is a segment of fans who don't like either of those. I've always thought "In Hiding" was underplayed even during the Yield tour and it looks like maybe "Force Of Nature" might suffer the same setlist fate.

I do think that "Force Of Nature" stands up strong both musically and lyrically though on Backspacer.
    It is anthemic. And maybe that isn't mutually exclusive with "old man rock" as someone else said.
    I don't mind anthemic though. I love the Who and they are about as anthemic a band as ever existed.
    I certainly wouldn't mind something uptempo though like "Gonna See My Friends" or "Supersonic" because it would seem a given that "Just Breathe" will get played and they really seemed to chose all the midtempo Backspacer songs for the ACL broadcast. We shall see.
    12 hours and 30 minutes or so until....."ladies and gentlemen, PEARL JAM!"
    www.myspace.com
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    edited March 2010
    Gonzo1977 wrote:

Do you truly believe that "Gonna See My Friend" "Supersonic" or "Johnny Guitar" would "show how diverse and awesome the band is"? Personally I think all three of those songs show how far they've fallen as songwriters.
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • 12 hours and 30 minutes or so until....."ladies and gentlemen, PEARL JAM!"
    I did the NBC tour right after Christmas and saw the SNL studio. It is tiny but just sitting in those yellow seats was incredible. I'll never forget where I was in April of 1994 when Emilio/PJ/Opera Man did the best SNL ever.

Please, please, please be a cameo tonight for Opera Man!!!!!!!!!!
  • i will tell you this much...
    Just Breathe will be played with a String Quartet. the second song will be a rocker.

the pudding:
    http://twitter.com/lorenzaponce/status/10326393409
    http://twitter.com/lorenzaponce/status/10336873235

and this is from a direct message with this person:
    "yes. Just Breathe. We were supposed to do The End as well, but they decided to rock it on the second tune, which I think is cooler."

i guess we'll all have to stay tuned and watch tonight to find out which rocker they play...
    "one man stands the edge of the ocean
    a beacon on dry land
    eyes above the horizon
    in the dark before the dawn..."
    "i am a donut"
  • dwjmu84dwjmu84 Posts: 387
    i will tell you this much...
    Just Breathe will be played with a String Quartet. the second song will be a rocker.

the pudding:
    http://twitter.com/lorenzaponce/status/10326393409
    http://twitter.com/lorenzaponce/status/10336873235

and this is from a direct message with this person:
    "yes. Just Breathe. We were supposed to do The End as well, but they decided to rock it on the second tune, which I think is cooler."

i guess we'll all have to stay tuned and watch tonight to find out which rocker they play...

please, please, please do NOT play unthought known. i love the song but they need to play something new for the casual audience. everybody I've played FON for (casual listeners) has said the same thing about it...."now THAT sounds like the PJ of the early 90s!".

if they go wth UK they will not reach anybody new.......
  • I don't give a fuck what they play.....there on TV!! that's all i need to be happy!! :mrgreen:

Nothing more needs to be said!
    Gonzo1977 wrote:

Do you truly believe that "Gonna See My Friend" "Supersonic" or "Johnny Guitar" would "show how diverse and awesome the band is"? Personally I think all three of those songs show how far they've fallen as songwriters.

I agree, but Johnny G is much better than those others and more telling of PJ's past kickassedness.
  • 4Powers204Powers20 Posts: 1,224
    holy shit !! just found out my buddy got tix for the show and after party !! I am beside myself ! I am waiting for him to call me back and tell me he was lying. I am shocked.

"We're running out of beer, too?" EV 6/19/08

• I think a previous poster nailed it in regards to "Force Of Nature" when they referred to it's anthemic nature.

It seems like many of the people who like "Force Of Nature" also liked "In Hiding" and in turn, it's seems like there is a segment of fans who don't like either of those. I've always thought "In Hiding" was underplayed even during the Yield tour and it looks like maybe "Force Of Nature" might suffer the same setlist fate.

I do think that "Force Of Nature" stands up strong both musically and lyrically though on Backspacer.
    It is anthemic. And maybe that isn't mutually exclusive with "old man rock" as someone else said.
    I don't mind anthemic though. I love the Who and they are about as anthemic a band as ever existed.
    I certainly wouldn't mind something uptempo though like "Gonna See My Friends" or "Supersonic" because it would seem a given that "Just Breathe" will get played and they really seemed to chose all the midtempo Backspacer songs for the ACL broadcast. We shall see.
    it doesnt sound anthemic at all to me. it just kinda drones along at the same pace with vanilla generic midtempo blandness.

i do like the lyrics, but good lyrics dont make a song. i can believe the same band that made Vitalogy and No COde made this 80s U2 buttrock tune.
    MrSmith wrote:
    I think a previous poster nailed it in regards to "Force Of Nature" when they referred to it's anthemic nature.

it doesnt sound anthemic at all to me. it just kinda drones along at the same pace with vanilla generic midtempo blandness.

i do like the lyrics, but good lyrics dont make a song. i can believe the same band that made Vitalogy and No COde made this 80s U2 buttrock tune.

You don't know what anthemic is.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    some people here just boggle me.. one of the best on the album without a doubt.