Options

Chris Martin (Coldplay) Speaks on Pearl Jam...

Comments

• Options
    OkOk Posts: 2,144
    Maybe just me, but I think the reason people "hate" Coldplay is because they're so over-exposed (not unlike U2) and they're marketed as this god-like band because their music appeals (read...can be sold to) a very wide range of people....when in reality, they're not a good live band and in general their music all sounds the same.....(again, just my opinion)....

we need more rock bands and less PR driven Coldplays.....
  • Options
    my girlfriend talked me into going to see coldplay live. i didn't want to but she has gone to many concerts for me. i really really enjoyed it. it was great. ended up seeing them again a few months later (with fiona apple who i like a lot). i even enjoy listening to them now. the last cd was very good.
    Lexington 4.21.03, Chicago 5.16.06, Cincinnati 6.24.06, Lollapalooza 8.5.07, Virginia Beach 6.17.08, Camden 6.19.08, Camden 6.20.08, East Troy (PJ20) 9.3.11, East Troy (PJ20) 9.4.11, Wrigley 7.19.13, Pittsburgh 10.11.13, Cincinnati 10.1.14, Lexington 4.26.16, Wrigley 8.20.16, Wrigley 8.22.16, Wrigley 8.18.18, Wrigley 8.20.2018, Fenway 9.4.18, New York 3.30.20, Nashville 4.2.20, St. Louis 4.4.20, Bourbon & Beyond 9.17.22, Indianapolis 9.10.2023
  • Options
    Lone WolfLone Wolf Posts: 1,023
    Hearing a Coldplay song once a year is enough for me.......
    All songs sound alike.....
    Dream the dreams of other men,...You´ll be no ones rival,...
    Dream the dreams of others then,... You will be no ones rival,...
  • Options
    gndcd402gndcd402 Posts: 2,558
    weird, viva la vida just came on my itunes. great song. fyi...there is other good music out there besides pearl jam...
  • Options
    gndcd402 wrote:
    fyi...there is other good music out there besides pearl jam...

That's not very fair. Why should everyone like the same bands? Why should we all like Coldplay? Allow people to like what they want...even if it IS just Pearl Jam, which probably means they have some kind of problem and deserve kindness rather than derision.
  • Options
    Oz Jammer wrote:
    Agreed. They're like a manic depressive U2
    or a more accessible Radiohead
    "So forget the other boys because my love is real.
    Come off your battlefield."
  • Options
    That's not very fair. Why should everyone like the same bands? Why should we all like Coldplay? Allow people to like what they want...even if it IS just Pearl Jam, which probably means they have some kind of problem and deserve kindness rather than derision.
    i used to have the elitist attitude that nothing is ever gonna be as good as pj. i just started getting into other bands in the past year and am blown away by what ive been missing. the same people that have such an elitist attitude are the same ones that sat down and wouldnt even applaud my morning jacket back in 2006.

im just saying there is other really good music out there besides pearl jam and that people should open up their minds.
  • Options
    I was the same way. Thought no one could compare to pearl jam and wouldn't give any other band a listen. Bad mistake by me. I have found numerous bands that I find as enjoyable as pearl jam.

1. Incubus
    2. Idlewild
    3. Coheed and freaking Cambria - my goodness people give this band a chance. Some of the most complex and intriguing guitar parts I have ever heard. Also, by far the most nicest band I have ever met.
  • Options
    jonbond1779jonbond1779 London, UK Posts: 1,593
    PJAMEDVED wrote:

Nice...Bow to the gods of rock Chris!
    "Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}
  • Options
    Coheed and freaking Cambria - my goodness people give this band a chance. Some of the most complex and intriguing guitar parts I have ever heard.

I REALLY don't care for this band...who needs a pretentious rip-off band whose lead singer sounds just like Geddy Lee from Rush? No thank you.
  • Options
    I was the same way. Thought no one could compare to pearl jam and wouldn't give any other band a listen. Bad mistake by me. I have found numerous bands that I find as enjoyable as pearl jam.

1. Incubus
    2. Idlewild
    3. Coheed and freaking Cambria - my goodness people give this band a chance. Some of the most complex and intriguing guitar parts I have ever heard. Also, by far the most nicest band I have ever met.

i havent heard much of coheed except from welcome home and that song kicks sooooo much ass. some bands ive found since pj:

Serj Tankian - former singer of System of a Down. Wow...his solo album is just amazing and also puts on quite the live show.

Paramore - Good tunes and above all...Hayley Williams! :D

Queens of the Stone Age - Plain and simple, love their music.
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Coldplay are just a background noise band.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    PJAMEDVED wrote:

If he were a true fan he would of been taking a piss during that song ;).

With that being said good to see him at the show sitting in real seats (as opposed to sky boxes or side stage) with real fans.
    Uniondale. 2003
    MSG 1+2. 2010
    Wrigley. Brooklyn 2. Hartford. 2013
    St. Louis. Denver. 2014
    Global Citizens Festival. 2015
    MSG 2. Fenway 2. Wrigley 1. 2016
    Safeco 2. Missoula. 2018
  • Options
    elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    Not quite as good as Pearl Jam, but we're getting there"
    haha......fuckin' amateur!
  • Options
    shareshare Posts: 551
    everybody has "an opinion that it's their right to share (impose more often)"

I just always forget what a fine group of "experts" we have here on the board

I love watching people at a show who love the music - there's nothing better than going to a show and moving to a song and looking around and seeing people enjoying it the way you are - like chris martin for instance
    we're all sentient snowflakes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm a number that doesn't count
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    the nothing ventured - the nothing feigned
  • Options
    gndcd402 wrote:
    i used to have the elitist attitude that nothing is ever gonna be as good as pj. i just started getting into other bands in the past year and am blown away by what ive been missing. the same people that have such an elitist attitude are the same ones that sat down and wouldnt even applaud my morning jacket back in 2006.

im just saying there is other really good music out there besides pearl jam and that people should open up their minds.

Ok, now you've explained your meaning, I understand where you're coming from. You're previous comment sounded to me like 'not liking Coldplay = unreasonable and rabid Pearl Jam fan'. Perhaps I've missed the 'Pearl Jam are the only good band on the planet' debates and therefore didn't understand what you were alluding to. I absolutely agree with you that people should open themselves to new and different music.

And I wholeheartedly agree with share:

'I love watching people at a show who love the music - there's nothing better than going to a show and moving to a song and looking around and seeing people enjoying it the way you are - like chris martin for instance'
  • Options
    vital5vital5 Posts: 5,486
    Oz Jammer wrote:
    Agreed. They're like a manic depressive U2
    Hmm... i like Coldplay.. haven't heard all of the new album yet though...

he is wise though with saying that they aren't quite Pearl Jam ha....

Anyway... what's wrong with sad songs? I hate when people go... "oh they suck because they write droney whiney music.... Some awesome songs from Coldplay like The Scientist and Amsterdam.... my old housemate is seeing them soon :( i'm jealous... *cough* smashing pumpkins *cough* one of the most said whiney bands ;)
  • Options
    they'll NEVER get there.
    "I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me. Guaranteed."

1996 Merriweather, MD; 1998 Camden, NJ; 2000 Camden, NJ; 2003 Camden, NJ; 2005 Philly, PA; 2006 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2); 2006 Arnhem, NED; 2008 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2), Washington DC, MSG(night 2) 2009 Philly Spectrum Shows(nights 1,2,3,4) 2010 Hartford,CT and MSG(night 2)

ED Solo - 2008 Washington DC, 2009 Philly, PA(nights 1&2)*Met Eddie =)
  • Options
    I think that Coldplay has gotten a lot of unnecessary flack over the years. I really do like their music a lot, and from what I've heard they put on a really good live show. I tried to get tickets when they played msg right before pearl jam, but wasn't able to. I know a lot of people who almost seem embarassed to say that they like them. I think a lot of their bad reputation stemmed from the homophobic comments on 40 year old virgin. Too bad.
  • Options
    I've become a big Coldplay fan in the past few years since I purchased x&y. It is a great cd! The new one is really good too, but a Rush of Blood to the Head is a classic now. There's nothing wrong or gay about them at all they are very talented. They are actually a band that I have all their complete CDs on my iPhone next to PJ. It was a great compliment from Chris Martin about Pearl Jam, that's respect.

-Earl
    9/29/1996 NY
    9/1&2/2000 Camden
    7/6/2003 Camden
    5/27/2006 Camden 6/1&3/2006 NJ
    6/19/2008 Camden, 6/22/2008 Washington DC, 6/25/2008 NY
    8/7/2008 Eddie Vedder NJ, 6/11/2008 Eddie Vedder Philly (3rd Row! Thanks 10c!!)
    10/28,30&31/2009 Philly
  • Options
    big deal..he likes PJ..so fucking what!! that doesn't make his music suck any less..

i like tiger woods yet I can't hit a golf ball for shit!
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,654
    gndcd402 wrote:

well said,...

considering Coldplay owe their career to Radiohead, being a Radiohead fan i at least kept an open mind and decided to give their material a chance as it came out. personally, i'm a fan of most of the material on "A Rush Of Blood To The Head". their new stuff just isn't for me though, as i think their attempting to follow in U2's footsteps (and i'm not all that together a U2 fan) is a futile attempt,...
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    i like coldplay
    their music is too different in style to compare to pearl jam
  • Options
    Lone WolfLone Wolf Posts: 1,023
    yellowbird wrote:
    i like coldplay
    their music is too different in style to compare to pearl jam

Yes it is..........YAAAAAAAWN..........;)
    Dream the dreams of other men,...You´ll be no ones rival,...
    Dream the dreams of others then,... You will be no ones rival,...
  • Options
    I think that no matter what you think of Coldplay, Pearl Jam are the live act by which all others are measured. This is what Martin is saying. The standard of excellence for live performance, just like the Stones were from 69-72, or Pink Floyd from 73-80.
  • Options
    petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    hopefully this will ease peoples minds about hating Coldplay...

from the new rolling stone, Chris Martin about Coldplays live show...

"There's no question that, at the moment, we're better live than we've ever been. Not quite as good as Pearl Jam, but we're getting there"

Well if Mr Martin wants to reach that level then their shows need to be longer, need to involve more older songs and for God sake get rid of that stupid video screen..and NEVER EEEEEVER play Strawberry Swing again
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • Options

"There's no question that, at the moment, we're better live than we've ever been. Not quite as good as Pearl Jam, but we're getting there"

PJ are way better than a lot of people realize. Chris Martin knows.
    ########################
    Celebration, the ball's in play
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,834
    Chris Martins a good guy, very humble, no usual rock star bullshit, just a down to earth geezer,

Got a lot of time for him, also helps he can pen a mean tune.....
  • Options
    muiren77muiren77 Posts: 3,511
    Coldplay Is A Pretty Good Band...
    It's Actually Good That Chris Gave Props To Pj...
    I Am Not Saying That Because They Gave Props To Pj, That We Should All Start To Like Them But Let's Just Give Them The Credit That Is Due To Them Instead Of Bashing Them...
    Personally, I Like Their Music Since I Heard Parachutes Album...:)
    what is essential is invisible to the eye

apparently, 07162056 is THE date...
  • Options
    Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873

Well, it's cool that he likes PJ, but I'm not gonna start liking their mediocre boring music because of that.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me