Options

Vic or Bonnaroo...which setlist is better???

13»

Comments

• Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,571
    Since this is a setlist competition and not a intimacy competition, I will say roo with 100% confidence!
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,931
    They're both great but the Vic show was longer so that gets my vote.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    lance_graylance_gray Posts: 166
    The Roo...I mean they played WMA for g-d sake!
    Dallas '98 - Dallas '00 - OKC '03 - Dallas '03

www.myspace.com/lance_gray

www.bonafidedarling.com
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Roo. I dig the rarities, but I dig the hits as well!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    InMyTree4InMyTree4 Posts: 1,239
    i cuold see the vic being better just because it was an all 10c show and it would have been an awesome environment. roo is my number one though great show.
    PJ:7/2/03.9/28/04.5/25/06.8/5/07.6/14/08.6/27/08.6/28/08.6/30/08.
    10/30/09.10/31/09.5/17/10.9/7/11
    EV:boston 1+2.albnay 1.boston 2010
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,901
    I'd be tempted to say the Vic, off the top of my head, but the scope of Bonneroo, and the crazy-rare songs on top of this scope, makes it a close contest.
  • Options
    When I started this thread, I couldn't decide myself. But after reading all of these arguments for each side, I have to go with the Vic because of the pre-set and Black Diamond.

All I know for sure is that I'm fucking jealous of anyone who attended either of the shows....and you're scum if you went to both!!
    2005 - Montreal, Ottawa / 2011 Montreal, Toronto 1, Ottawa / 2013 London, Calgary, Vancouver
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    Vic hands down....

no need to explain
  • Options
    not sure about the need to compare the two, but Roo had a great mix of rare and hits. But the big shocker is that they played the hits like they were brand new. insane energy.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,358
    i din't attend any of these two great shows but if i'm looking to purchase a boot and saw both of these staring at me i would take roooooooooooo home with me that is if i had to choose .....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    I just did :) I'm very proud of this band .Anyone else go to the silent disco during Kanye? Its was off the hook!!!
  • Options
    se7v7ense7v7en Philadelphia, PA Posts: 328
    i was at roo, so maybe biased...but Roo had something for everyone. It had such a great mix of rarities, hits, covers, rockers, and ballads. Plus, due to the 2 hr greatest hits show that everyone expected it gets extra pints for shock.

I mean when looking at ther setlist, I think its important to look at why a song is particularly special due to who it was played for and where it was played.

Who didnt fully expect a rarities show at the vic??
    All night, third song of the night...thats balls
  • Options
    InMyTree4InMyTree4 Posts: 1,239
    at roo some camera guy decided to video tape the setlist after they left the stage before the first encore...that kinda killed the suprise of the rest of the show. they changed it up a little bit but basically stayed to that setlist. i wished they never showed it
    PJ:7/2/03.9/28/04.5/25/06.8/5/07.6/14/08.6/27/08.6/28/08.6/30/08.
    10/30/09.10/31/09.5/17/10.9/7/11
    EV:boston 1+2.albnay 1.boston 2010
  • Options
    Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
    I'm going to say Roo only cuz I was there and cuz I heard 9 songs/26 for the first time in their entirety (W.M.A.) and cuz it was the best show out of 7 I've seen in my whole life. Gonna be hard for the MSGs to beat Roo.

Many of you will never understand the energy that was there. For me, hearing W.M.A. and Release in the same night, and then an EPIC All Along the Watchtower that probably lasted more than 10minutes with the constant (Two Riders Were Approaching chant Ed did)...I'm so happy, glad, fortunate to have seen one of the greatest, if not greatest large-scale PJ show of All Time!!
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • Options
    I was @ the VIC so would have to go w/that vote! lol
    Myspace.com/vedder_78

Austin, TX 1995
    Dallas, TX 1998
    Woodlands, TX 2000
    Woodlands, TX 2000
    Dallas, TX 2000
    Seattle, WA 2002
    Dallas, TX 2003
    San Francisco, CA 2006
    Chicago, IL 2007 (VIC)
    Santa Barbara, CA 2008 (Ed.Ved.)
    Hartford, CT 2008
    Mansfield, MA 2008 #1
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,020
    bonnaroo's set list blows the vic away 10c show or not.
    yes!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
    pweafer4 wrote:
    at roo some camera guy decided to video tape the setlist after they left the stage before the first encore...that kinda killed the suprise of the rest of the show. they changed it up a little bit but basically stayed to that setlist. i wished they never showed it

yeah but they kind of fucked with us a bunch, I can't remember everything that was on it, but i think they followed the first three songs and then changed it up a bunch

my memory is hazy, does anyone have a pic of the set list they showed
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
  • Options
    Oxxys wrote:
    yeah but they kind of fucked with us a bunch, I can't remember everything that was on it, but i think they followed the first three songs and then changed it up a bunch

my memory is hazy, does anyone have a pic of the set list they showed
    I thought that they just changed the closer- it had YL up there
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    Everyone that was at roo will say roo, everyone who was not will say vic. Impossible to capture the feeling of those shows, which were both unique. Vic was an intimate night with your favorite band. Roo was your favorite band at the height of their powers showing off for 100,000 people. Vic gave you a warm hug from a friend. Roo gave you the show-off-cocky "see, i told you so..." feeling to the non jammers, coupled with the rarities and debuts that fuel the fire of a PJ fan.
    We were but stones... Your light made us stars
  • Options
    LukinFan wrote:
    I thought that they just changed the closer- it had YL up there

yeah I remember alive being out of order, I only got a quick glimpse of the shot of the list

I could have sworn I saw indifference up there too and completely didn't notice watch, but someone said it was there.
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
  • Options
    Oxxys wrote:
    yeah I remember alive being out of order, I only got a quick glimpse of the shot of the list

I could have sworn I saw indifference up there too and completely didn't notice watch, but someone said it was there.
    You're probably right, the weekend was kind of a blur to me- way too much to take in. :D
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    I'm not going to say, which show was better. Although, this show completely made up for spending 4 hours clicking a refresh button trying to get vic tickets.
  • Options
    1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,841
    Oxxys wrote:

You are correct sir, that too was up there.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    zepcowboyzepcowboy Posts: 9
    Believe it or not, I was at both shows, and it's impossible to determine which is "better." Bonnaroo was my eighth PJ show.

I had tickets to Columbus in 2000, but I gave them to a big PJ-fan friend of mine (thinking that he would take me, although I told him he could take anyone... he of course ended up taking his ex-girlfriend). That would have been my first show. I only had Ten and Binaural at the time and I recognized that I was just getting into the band and not the biggest fan. As it was, my first show was Denver in 2003. Then Toledo on the VFC '04 tour, Toronto '05, Toronto '06 (x2), The Vic and Lollapalooza last year, and then 'roo a few days ago.

I don't get on this forum that much - usually whenever there's some new release or right before and right after I'm about to go to a show. I guess I've reserved my uber-fandom for Led Zeppelin, although that may seem strange for a guy of 26 years...

Anyway, I can tell you that there simply is no "better" show between these two. Bonnaroo destroys the Lolla show from last year, of course, which was pretty much a Greatest Hits kind of show, but the 'testicle comparison' was apt that someone else used... The Vic show was an intimate experience at which it felt like everyone was old friends. The band was comfortable and yet I would say just a little tight - at least at first - because they didn't want to disappoint a crowd of their most loyal fans. They pumped the set full of rarities and it was fantastic to hear things like Education and Undone. Best moments for me were Hard To Imagine (which had me singing along so loudly that I got a weird look from someone next to me), In Hiding (the fantastic sing-along from the whole crowd), Rats, Why Go, Love Reign... but it wasn't necessarily the ultra-rarities that made the show great - it was the sense of community with fellow Ten-clubbers and how the band made us all feel. We were on the same page, and that's really what defines a great show for me. I can't truly enjoy a concert if I've got some asshole near me talking on a cellphone the whole time (see the VFC Toledo show where I had some guy knock over his cup of urine onto me, only to scream "It's fuckin' Neil Young, man!" over and over again, apparently to everyone in his address book...). The Vic was special for that reason - everyone was feeling the love for the guys in the band, and they were soaking it up and giving it right back to us.

Now, Bonnaroo was something else entirely in terms of who was in attendance, and the band had something to prove. I was nowhere near the front - my fiancee and I had to wait for some friends to catch up with us and we were up and back of the scaffolding for the cameras (not sure if the soundboard was located there too, or not). Being there with another couple who are great friends of ours and huge Pearl Jam fans was a huge plus, and made the atmosphere that much sweeter. After each song, we would shake our heads at each other in amazement, often because we couldn't believe they were playing this stuff for a festival crowd. The vibes were different for this show, because no matter what anyone else tells you, there were plenty of people standing around with confused looks on their faces when songs like Hard To Imagine were being played, waiting for Even Flow, Why Go, Daughter, et cetera. I'm not going to delude myself and think they converted many people by playing "All Night," which I didn't recognize immediately (and then got the title wrong, telling my fiancee and friends that I thought it was called "Drive All Night"), but the band DID probably convert any doubters in the audience by the pure intensity of their set and their refusal to be stuffed into a pre-determined time slot. They came onstage on time, stayed late, and showed a lot of love to the fans... essentially, the antithesis of Kanye West, from what I've come to understand (I did not stay for his set - I wouldn't have been there for his show if he had played his originally scheduled 8:30/9pm show, and I certainly have even less interest in ever seeing him now, if that was possible).

The setlist for Bonnaroo struck such a great balance that it has taken all of us - obviously some of the band's biggest fans - by surprise. I consider myself incredibly fortunate to have been in attendance for these two magical shows. I had more to say, but I feel like I'm repeating myself, so I'll end it here. The bootleg won't do it justice, but try to imagine yourself in the crowd and don't look at the track list for what's coming next (I only happened to see "Alive" when they showed the setlist on the screen, and then looked away). Then tell me you're not blown away.

EDIT: I do realize the original question was about setlists, but I think it's impossible to divorce the overall feeling of the show from what songs are played, especially if one was at the shows. It's really about how those songs that were played affect the audience in attendance.
  • Options
    NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    someone else had a good point about bonaroo on another thread, put both setlists aside for now and think of this: The vic was only 1000 ppl. Bonaroo was 100,000 ppl. Both setlists are GREAT , but there has to be something to be said for the intimacy at the vic and not having to have to push your way to the front or give some dude an iron claw because hes too drunk to know where hes walking. Plus, I DO want to hear the music and not have to watch them play on a jumbotron.

There were not quite 100,000 people at Roo this year. Ticket sales were down, and it seems their limit is about 80,000. If it had been a sell out there might have been that many with all the other bands, crews, Roo staff, and some gate crashers. Since it did not I figure it was probably closer to 85,000.

I don't think the setlists can really be compared as they were aimed at two different audiences. The Vic was a great setlist for fans that mostly want to hear rarities, but not as many hard rocking songs as Roo. There were some great new and long absent songs at Roo, like All Night, and it was also aimed at the general Bonnaroo crowd. Pearl Jam proved there that they can jam and won the crowd over. I did not hear one bad review of their performance from anyone there.

I've never heard the Vic show, and I just got home from Bonnaroo yesterday. If I were to just go by reading the setlists I might say the Vic, but their performance at Bonnaroo was amazing so I am biased towards it.
  • Options
    poto101poto101 Posts: 398
    For a hardcore....VIC

for a casual fan....ROO

I was also at both, both was different. i just think the vic was better because it had an overall rarer setlist. only one song off ten (why go) and TONS of rarities.
    It's all happening....

East Troy 2003
    Chicago x2, Summerfest x2, 2006
    Chicago THE VIC, Lollapalooza, 2007
    bonnaROOOOOOO 2008
    Chicago x2 2009

(EV chicago 2008 night 2)
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,932
    PJAMEDVED wrote:
    You gotta remember, alot of people will say Bonnaroo because they got shutout for Vic tickets. I was at the Vic and was not at Bonnaroo. With that said I would have givin' my left and my right nut for Vic tickets and to compare The Vic to Bonnaroo is one of the most asinine things I've ever seen on the board. However the thread isn't saying which show would you rather of attended. It's a setlist question. Bonnaroo's setlist is better, that's an easy question. But setlist or not nobody here can say they would rather have been at ROO over The Vic.

Kat or Sea, locker up now.

Yeah, just like a lot of people who passed on Bonnaroo because it's "only a festival" are pissed and will say the Vic was a lot better.

It's not asinine to compare these shows.