Options

Vic or Bonnaroo...which setlist is better???

InHidingInOttawaInHidingInOttawa Posts: 154
edited June 2008 in The Porch
Debate...
2005 - Montreal, Ottawa / 2011 Montreal, Toronto 1, Ottawa / 2013 London, Calgary, Vancouver
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    satansbedbugssatansbedbugs On Tour Posts: 2,410
    There is NO debate, here. The VIC was a 10c only show that setlist was WAY better!! They fucking opened with All or None nuff said
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016
    New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - 2007
    Seattle- 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
  • Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    bonnaroo's set list blows the vic away 10c show or not.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,358
    bonnaroo's set list blows the vic away 10c show or not.

yeah no doubt i'll take rooooooooooo ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    from an unbiased perspective, i wasnt at either show, the vic blows bonnarooo out of the water, still. They opened with fucking all or none, end thread.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    i wasn't at either and i say bonaroo..

very close, but with the high rarety demand, bonaroo is blowing my mind. and the short clip of the re-arranged wma sounds amazing as shit ... also playing release during an encore .. that would be the ultimate holy shit no way .. the whole crowd must have been so united .. and then boom, right after it they play alive. perfect. hard to imagine opening is fantastic .. down .. WHO YOU ARE .. i'm in awe.

the vic was amazing because it was all 10c, had in hiding, all or non opener which is insane, education, gods dice, and so on .. but i still think bonaroo wins
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    SwiftySwifty Posts: 21
    I think this is a dumb question...Vic HANDS DOWN. Roo was sweet, but the Vic was amazing.
  • Options
    if you put release in the middle of a set, play WMA in its entirety open with hard to imagine and blow out half full, it wins
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    Tough one. I would go with Roo.
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,616
    i was at the Vic, and had i gone to the Roo i definitely would have enjoyed the setlist (although not the logistics) and i feel BOTH shows will be talked about for YEARS and for good reason! realistically though, you can't compare the 2 shows - both were AMAZING shows for different reasons and on different levels :)
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,886
    100 Pacer wrote:
    i was at the Vic, and had i gone to the Roo i definetly would have enjoyed the setlist (although not the logistics) and i feel BOTH shows will be talked about for YEARS and for good reason! realistically though, you can't compare the 2 shows - both were AMAZING shows for different reasons and on different levels :)

I agree, both were special in their own way, sure the opened with All or none at vic, but at roo, they open with hard to imagine? And release played as an encore? Awesome.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    roo
    "Don't lose your inner heat...ever" - EV 5/13/06
  • Options
    satansbedbugssatansbedbugs On Tour Posts: 2,410
    someone else had a good point about bonaroo on another thread, put both setlists aside for now and think of this: The vic was only 1000 ppl. Bonaroo was 100,000 ppl. Both setlists are GREAT , but there has to be something to be said for the intimacy at the vic and not having to have to push your way to the front or give some dude an iron claw because hes too drunk to know where hes walking. Plus, I DO want to hear the music and not have to watch them play on a jumbotron.
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016
    New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - 2007
    Seattle- 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    bonnaroo. FLOW SHIZZLE~
    the setlist owned. Release at the end? ALL NIGHT?????
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    There is NO debate, here. The VIC was a 10c only show that setlist was WAY better!! They fucking opened with All or None nuff said
    For it being a 10c show, Ed was pretty pissed and he doesnt ever get THAT pissed at shows. He didnt have to yell at the crowd at bonnaroo to stop taking pictures. Bonnaroo wins! And the setlist was way better!!! :D

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

• Options
    cbbjrcbbjr Posts: 233
    roo
    98-KC; 00-Indianapolis, StL, KC; 03-KC, DC; 04-DC; 06-Camden2, DC, Pittsburgh; 08-DC; 09-Chicago1, Spectrum3; 10-DC; 13-Baltimote; 16-Chicago1; 18-Seattle2; 22-NY
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,271
    Debate...

vic for me!
    danny d
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,616
    SENROCK! wrote:
    For it being a 10c show, Ed was pretty pissed and he doesnt ever get THAT pissed at shows. He didnt have to yell at the crowd at bonnaroo to stop taking pictures. Bonnaroo wins! And the setlist was way better!!! :D

to clarify, at the Vic (from my personal experience, i think many would agree): Ed annoyed by the flashes? yes. pissed and "yelling" at the crowd? um, no. :)

i'd base Ed getting pissed and yelling at a crowd as observed at Mansfield/'98 during the "quarter" rant as the "baseline" for comparison purposes hehe
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    100 Pacer wrote:
    annoyed by the flashes? yes. pissed and "yelling" at the crowd? um, no. :)
    yeeeah you know what i mean! I was just trying to get this party started! :D

• Options
    salt_creepsalt_creep Posts: 72
    I was not at either show

but after looking at the setlists, I'd say "roo"

Why: because when I saw the Vic setlist I was a tad dissapointed. Reason is that it was a 10c exclusive show. I think I expected more from it Like playing all the shit that everyone bitches about never seeing on this site. The vic crowd was nothing but die hard PJ fans so I was thinking they'd play stuff like: all those yesturdays, faithful, who you are, in my tree, fatal, masters of war, smile, etc.

I'm not saying the vic setlist was bad, not at all

I'm just saying that the roo is a festival... the vast majority of the crowd is not PJ diehards but a mix of casual fans, people who are just seeing them because they're already at the show, and people who even hate their music...

So, for PJ to come out and play the shit they did in front of all those people not knowing how the crowd would respond... Now that just takes balls! This just further cements them as the greatest rock band of my generation in my eyes.
  • Options
    Surf RiderSurf Rider Posts: 813
    You gotta remember, alot of people will say Bonnaroo because they got shutout for Vic tickets. I was at the Vic and was not at Bonnaroo. With that said I would have givin' my left and my right nut for Vic tickets and to compare The Vic to Bonnaroo is one of the most asinine things I've ever seen on the board. However the thread isn't saying which show would you rather of attended. It's a setlist question. Bonnaroo's setlist is better, that's an easy question. But setlist or not nobody here can say they would rather have been at ROO over The Vic.

Kat or Sea, locker up now.
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,874
    Bonaroo
    The Vic
    Hard To Imagine
    All Or none
    Corduroy
    Education
    All Night
    Sad
    Why Go
    In Hiding
    Elderly Woman
    Parachutes
    Down
    I'm Open
    Who You Are
    Wishlist
    Severed Hand
    Down
    1/2 Full
    undone
    Animal
    off he goes
    Even Flow
    H2i
    Daughter
    God's Dice
    Gone
    WWS
    Love Reign O'er Me
    Rats
    Do The Evolution
    Gone
    Rearviewmirror
    Why Go
    W.M.A
    no More
    Better Man(Save)
    Inside Job
    Black
    Low Light
    Crazy Mary
    Love Reign
    Porch
    Comatose
    No More
    Black Diamond
    Release
    Sonic Reducer
    Alive
    Indieffernece (WITH BEN)
    Watchtower
    plus Ed preset

Trouble, Dead Man Walking,

I Used to Work In Chicago,

All The Way, Picture In A Frame

looking at all that The VIC is clearly the winner by song rarity, however Bonaroo may go down as the most surprising show ever

Both had some awesome common songs, both pulled out some great covers, both pulled out some rarely played things (5 or under), both were amazing from any way you look at it. Should the Venue determine this if all else is even? If so you have to go with the VIC

I was there(VIC), not at roo, and I'll damn well say roo is dead even and I wish the fuck I was there
  • Options
    RedMosquito02RedMosquito02 Posts: 2,560
    PJAMEDVED wrote:
    You gotta remember, alot of people will say Bonnaroo because they got shutout for Vic tickets. I was at the Vic and was not at Bonnaroo. With that said I would have givin' my left and my right nut for Vic tickets and to compare The Vic to Bonnaroo is one of the most asinine things I've ever seen on the board. However the thread isn't saying which show would you rather of attended. It's a setlist question. Bonnaroo's setlist is better, that's an easy question. But setlist or not nobody here can say they would rather have been at ROO over The Vic
    Kat or Sea, locker up now.

Well said my friend...

I think too many of you are trying to compare the two shows; not the setlists.

Someone mentioned that you can't compare the shows...they are right.

But, if you look at the setlists and you're with it as far a PJ sets go, then this isn't even a fair fight:
    'Roo setlist is better, face it Vic'ers; you may have been at a more intimate, special show, but c'mon now.
  • Options
    AbuskedtiAbuskedti Posts: 1,917
    if you put release in the middle of a set, play WMA in its entirety open with hard to imagine and blow out half full, it wins

not to mention who are you.. and closing with Watchtower.. and they were kicking ass.. and they were the only act there that didn't utter the word Bonnaroo!!!

damn, I need a shower!
  • Options
    ||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
    It depends on what you look for in a setlist. I'd take Bonaroo any day of the week, because it had a smattering of rarities mixed in with the staples, so the setlist is more well-rounded.

Having a few rarities at a show is great, but having pretty much an entire show of them would feel rather uneven to me. I don't get a boner about the Vic like some people here do.

I like my rarities mixed in with DTE, Corduroy, Animal etc.
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    Hands down Vic... I was looking at the two last night while staring at my monitor comparing setlists (and seeing how many times WMA was tagged onto Daught ;))

anyway.. # of songs I'd love to hear at Vic was SO much higher than Roo. Plus the Eddie preset, plus the intimate venue... it just doesnt compare.

that said - I was FLOORED at the Bonnaroo setlist. Having been at Lolla, I wanted to cry that Lolla couldnt have had sometihng more than Education played to make it a special set... Lolla was for the casual fans where Roo had more than something for everyone.
  • Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    Bonaroo
    The Vic
    Hard To Imagine
    All Or none
    Corduroy
    Education
    All Night
    Sad
    Why Go
    In Hiding
    Elderly Woman
    Parachutes
    Down
    I'm Open
    Who You Are
    Wishlist
    Severed Hand
    Down
    1/2 Full
    undone
    Animal
    off he goes
    Even Flow
    H2i
    Daughter
    God's Dice
    Gone
    WWS
    Love Reign O'er Me
    Rats
    Do The Evolution
    Gone
    Rearviewmirror
    Why Go
    W.M.A
    no More
    Better Man(Save)
    Inside Job
    Black
    Low Light
    Crazy Mary
    Love Reign
    Porch
    Comatose
    No More
    Black Diamond
    Release
    Sonic Reducer
    Alive
    Indieffernece (WITH BEN)
    Watchtower
    plus Ed preset

Trouble, Dead Man Walking,

I Used to Work In Chicago,

All The Way, Picture In A Frame

looking at all that The VIC is clearly the winner by song rarity, however Bonaroo may go down as the most surprising show ever

Both had some awesome common songs, both pulled out some great covers, both pulled out some rarely played things (5 or under), both were amazing from any way you look at it. Should the Venue determine this if all else is even? If so you have to go with the VIC

I was there(VIC), not at roo, and I'll damn well say roo is dead even and I wish the fuck I was there

Cool idea to do this.

I would have to say it's pretty much even. Both set lists are unreal. I didn't go to either show so I don't what it was like to be there.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    The Vic wins easily. While Boneroo (what I call it since seeing the set) had a couple extreme rarieites (All Night, WMA, Watchtower), but the Vic from beginning to end were rare songs (except Why Go, WWS, Wishlist, and Gone).
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,874
    Times played in parenthesis

Hard To Imagine(at both shows- 26th at VIC 27th Roo)
    Why Go (at both shows)
    Down(both shows- at 47 now)
    Gone(both at 34 now)
    Love Reign O'er Me (both 2nd and 3rd respectively)
    No More (both 6th time and 9th)

ROO--All Night(1st ever)
    VIC-- Black Diamond(1st time)
    VIC-- I Used to Work In Chicago(1st)
    VIC-- All The Way(1st)
    VIC-- Trouble(3)
    VIC-- undone (3rd time)
    VIC-- Education(3rd time at that point)
    VIC-- I'm Open(4th time)
    VIC-- Picture In A Frame(4th)
    ROO--Watchtower(5th)
    VIC-- Dead Man Walking(8)
    VIC-- All Or none(10th)
    VIC-- Parachutes(14th)
    VIC-- Low Light(20th)
    ROO--Who You Are (29th)
    VIC-- Sad (34th)
    VIC-- Inside Job(34th at time)
    VIC-- Rats(35th)
    VIC-- God's Dice(39th at time)
    ROO--1/2 Full(54th)
    VIC-- Sonic Reducer(57)
    VIC-- In Hiding(59th)
    VIC-- Comatose(60)
    ROO--W.M.A(75th but IN FULL more like 6th)
    ROO--Severed Hand(82nd)
    VIC-- WWS(85th)
    VIC-- off he goes(90)
    VIC-- Indieffernece (WITH BEN)(102)
    ROO--Release (116 and in funky place)
    ROO--Crazy Mary(119)
    VIC-- Wishlist(179th at time)
    ROO--Corduroy(380)
    ROO--Elderly Woman(278)
    ROO--Do The Evolution(317)
    ROO--Animal (319)
    ROO--Rearviewmirror(333)
    ROO--Daughter(381)
    ROO--Porch (398)
    ROO--Better Man(Save)(354)
    ROO--Black (417)
    ROO--Alive (534)
    ROO--Even Flow (611)

so by pure rarity of setlist the VIC, but by possibly best mix ever of rare and biggies gotta go ROO- also take into account the VIC had a lot off Avocado so the number for them are obviously lower

but I think Ed's pre-set puts the VIC over the top overall by a whisker from his bald chin

yes I have no life
  • Options
    Surf RiderSurf Rider Posts: 813
    hrd2imgn wrote:

VIC-- I Used to Work In Chicago(1st)

Not a Pearl Jam show, but Ed has did this song before. Solo at the Bridge School.
  • Options
    JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    i think Vic has a better setlist. more rarities.
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm