Paperless Tickets

DoovidLedVedDoovidLedVed Posts: 39
edited March 2010 in The Porch
I was looking at tickets for sale for Thom Yorkes band, Atoms for Peace and they are only using this paperless ticket method. It is similar to what Pearl Jam does for fan club tickets, makes the purchaser be at venue to collect tickets to avoid people from reselling online for way more than face value. If this is successfull i can see PJ adopting this for future tours.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/paperless
4/28/2003,7/5/2003,7/8/2003, 7/14/2003,10/02/2004, 9/12/2005, 5/27/2006, 5/28/2006, 8/5/2007, 6/14/2008, 10/28/2009, 10/30/2009, 10/31/2009, 5/21/2010, 9/3/2011 9/4/2011, 9/2/2012, 9/22/2012, 7/19/2013, 10/18/2013, 10/19/2013, 10/12/2014, 9/26/2015, 4/8/2016, 4/9/2016, 5/1/2016, 5/2/2016, 8/22/2016, 4/7/2017, 9/3/2018, 9/18/2021, 9/10/2022, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022, 8/31/2023, 5/28/2024
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• yeah well....PJ doesn't call the shots for tickets for FESTIVALS!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,342
    I for one love that system. Yeah every once in a while you'd have something come up that forced you to eat your tickets, but it would greatly reduce scalping, so you'd get into extra shows -- at face value.
    "They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,848
    its a good idea on paper ;)
    but I can imagine a serious clusterfuck with 20,000 fans trying to get into an arena at 7:45
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,272
    edited March 2010
    i am a big fan of this system and have used it more than once and got great tickets as a result

not every ticket has to be that way...but certainly they can do a bunch of up close sections
  • The first show I attended using this method was AC/DC and it worried the hell out of me strictly because I saw the opportunity for there to be problems, but everything went quite smoothly. Ticketperson simply swipes your card and the tickets shoot out immediately.
    I suppose it isn't fail proof, but it has worked well for me so far. And maybe I shouldn't say that now because I'm attending another paperless show in a couple of weeks....
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,342
    I suppose it isn't fail proof

Neither is paper. I've had numerous friends burned by the "TicketFast" and even actual hard tickets that turned out to be counterfeit. Plus many venues still end up scanning the barcodes of paper tickets, which is time-consuming as well.
    "They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."
  • peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    I had paperless tickets for the Bruce Springsteen shows last October...got greats seats and had no problems
    Not all the tickets for his shows were paperless just the better seats

I like to think right now it's the best way we have to stop scalping
  • ReggieReggie Posts: 6
    unfortunately the paperless ticket system can only used by bands that actually tour.
  • starmap3333starmap3333 Posts: 3,925
    Be careful what you ask for because you just might get it...
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,053
    This system works ok - rem used it too

but I'd much rather have a ticket stub to keep
  • Reggie wrote:
    unfortunately the paperless ticket system can only used by bands that actually tour.
    As I said....it's not fail proof
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
    pdalowsky wrote:
    This system works ok - rem used it too

but I'd much rather have a ticket stub to keep

just check a few empty rows after the show ends. theres always stubs lying around that people lose
  • the only issue i see is what if there is a reason someone can't make the show...is there a return policy? there must be, then there will have to be a cancellation line (if there isn't one already) where people can buy the tickets people had to drop because they couldn't attend...

also as stated above, people like to keep their stubs as a keep sake/ proof they were there. like for instance, for a music class i'm in, i have to write two papers on concerts i've gone to this semester, i need a ticket stub for proof.

also as stated above, people like to keep their stubs as a keep sake/ proof they were there. like for instance, for a music class i'm in, i have to write two papers on concerts i've gone to this semester, i need a ticket stub for proof.

so the trade off to stop/reduce scalping is to not do it so that people can have real stubs?

like i said the shows ive been to that were paperless had 10000+ people there. you will find stubs lying around if u want!

just saying :)
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,838
    Get_Right wrote:
    its a good idea on paper ;)
    but I can imagine a serious clusterfuck with 20,000 fans trying to get into an arena at 7:45

Right now, you have to stand in one line to get your 10Club tickets and then another line to actually go in the venue.

The way I see it, this is one less line. It could end up saving time.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,534
    I'm not sure why they call it paperless, when they still have to print you out a ticket at the venue? Maybe they should call it, "instant will call" or something?

I still like the old school tickets.. probably because I like to collect the stubs/tickets from all the shows I've been too.
  • so they have to swipe the credit they were bought with? well that any gonna work for me as i used mother's card and she'll be france that week i'm in hyde park and she won't be leaving it with me thats for sure.
    Caleb Benjamin Higgs-16th December 2006
    Max Lennon Higgs-22nd October 2010
    My two boys are the light of my life.

check my band/project out at www.soundclick.com/nineyardsleft
  • samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    It's a fairly good idea, but I have one problem with it- sometimes (maybe sometimes, IDK if this is always the case) the person who purchased the tickets with their credit card needs to be the one to show their face at the venue in order to get in. For people like me, who don't have credit cards, this poses an issue, as my parents, the credit card holders, are not going to spend time going with me to the venue and showing their faces, just so they can leave right after. ...did this make sense? :)

Happened to me with a recent show I went to- was going to use my dad's credit card, but then realized if that was the case, he needed to be the one to show his face to get us into the venue, even though he wasn't attending- which he wasn't up for.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • GTFLYGIRLGTFLYGIRL Posts: 760
    So... what... you get an actual ticket (and hence a stub for your collection) but it is just spit out AS you enter the venue? So if your idiot friend is late to the show... or doesnt want to go in and see the opening act... it's an all or nothing team affair?

i, personally, dont like the sound of this at all

what if your CC is magically demagnetized ...like mine sometimes do.... or WHATEVER!

ugh... too much reliance on technology

why is more techno better?

there are a lot of downsides to this.

i dont like it and for sure i hope PJ doesnt start doing anything like this... :evil:
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,258
    Yeah it's so easy a caveman can do it ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    so they have to swipe the credit they were bought with? well that any gonna work for me as i used mother's card and she'll be france that week i'm in hyde park and she won't be leaving it with me thats for sure.

In this case, you'd have to use her card and she'd have to pay you back.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
    GTFLYGIRL wrote:
    So... what... you get an actual ticket (and hence a stub for your collection) but it is just spit out AS you enter the venue? So if your idiot friend is late to the show... or doesnt want to go in and see the opening act... it's an all or nothing team affair?

i, personally, dont like the sound of this at all

what if your CC is magically demagnetized ...like mine sometimes do.... or WHATEVER!

ugh... too much reliance on technology

why is more techno better?

there are a lot of downsides to this.

i dont like it and for sure i hope PJ doesnt start doing anything like this... :evil:

If the thing prints out two tickets, it seems to me that you would be fine... you could enter, and he could join you later???

If the CC doesn't work, i'd suggest getting a new one.
  • choopchoop Posts: 1,060
    no, it doesn't spit out an actual stub, just a slip of paper, not like a hard ticket. and you do need to enter with the amount of people you got tickets for, so if you have 2 tix, you both need to enter at the same time.
    "If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music." KV Jr.
    I like getting a ticket better gotta have the stub .
  • peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    choop wrote:
    no, it doesn't spit out an actual stub, just a slip of paper, not like a hard ticket. and you do need to enter with the amount of people you got tickets for, so if you have 2 tix, you both need to enter at the same time.

yeah, the slip has your seat section/row/number on it....mine kind of looked like a little ticket because it still had the name of the band and the date on it so I still had something for my ticket stub collection

I go to most shows by myself anyway, so not much problem with everyone entering at the same time :lol:

LOL... that would help a lot 45 minutes before the show....

AND... i thought this was paperless... is there a ticket and a stub... or not?

And as far as the issue with your friend who is taking your extra ticket.... Well doesn't the swiping of the CC happen AS you enter the venue?

(Isn't that supposed to be the upside of this.... so you cant take the ticket and walk to the street and resell for 5x the price?)

*EDIT* PS-Thanks Choop... just read your answers.

Back to my original statement... This doesnt sound like it's "fan-friendly" and I really hope PJ and the 10c agree with me and never go this route!!

that's soooo old school.... what are you... some kind of caveman or something?!?!? :?
    GTFLYGIRL wrote:

that's soooo old school.... what are you... some kind of caveman or something?!?!? :?

That is not cool at all in so many levels :lol::lol: :P
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    The Showbox in Seattle does it this way too. Last time I saw PJ there in 2004, there were no tickets.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    GTFLYGIRL wrote:

LOL... that would help a lot 45 minutes before the show....

AND... i thought this was paperless... is there a ticket and a stub... or not?

And as far as the issue with your friend who is taking your extra ticket.... Well doesn't the swiping of the CC happen AS you enter the venue?

(Isn't that supposed to be the upside of this.... so you cant take the ticket and walk to the street and resell for 5x the price?)

*EDIT* PS-Thanks Choop... just read your answers.

Back to my original statement... This doesnt sound like it's "fan-friendly" and I really hope PJ and the 10c agree with me and never go this route!!

It is fan-friendly in the sense that the fans have a better chance at getting good seats because they are not competing with as many scalpers as usual during the on-sale.