If you could only choose one show

Comments

• joe2468joe2468 Posts: 3,049
    a few things you always remember in life ......

your first kiss
    first time you got drunk
    AND THE FIRST PEARL JAM CONCERT YOU EVER WENT TO.........

hartford 1996 at the meadows .... remember it like it was last week .... the mosh pits in the "SEA OF CORAL" ... the ambulance driving in the field in the middle of footsteps .....you always remember your first show ....

at the same time 10/31/09 was just EFFIN CRAZY
    have you seen the colors of my fathers eyes
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    joe2468 wrote:

your first kiss
    first time you got drunk

hartford 1996 at the meadows .... remember it like it was last week .... the mosh pits in the "SEA OF CORAL" ... the ambulance driving in the field in the middle of footsteps .....you always remember your first show ....

Pissed that I missed that show. I had football practice and couldn't miss it. I love listening to that boot though
  • BALLBOYBALLBOY Posts: 1,029
    Soldier Field 95
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14 Budapest 22 Krakow 22 Amsterdam 22 St Paul 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 24 New York 1 24 Philly 1&2 24 Boston 1&2 24 Gold Coast 24 Melbourne 1 24 Sydney 1&2 24
  • 71step2871step28 Posts: 2,249
    I think this one... just this one special moment right in the beginning would have made it for me!
    Whenever i listen to that boot i'm crying, though i know what happens
    (btw: was this boot ever released with the 2003 series??? Can't find it anywhere?! Or is it that nobody wants to give it away?)

06/12/03 - Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre: Bonner Springs (Kansas City), KS
    support act: Idlewild
    preset: Dead Man (Ed solo)
    set: Release, Breakerfall, Brain Of J., Get Right, Ghost, Immortality, Whipping, Not For You, Off He Goes, Help Help, 1/2 Full, MFC, You Are, Better Man, Save You
    enc 1: Go, Corduroy, Glorified G, Even Flow, Alive
    enc 2: Fuckin' Up, Baba O'Riley
    notes: A lovely day turned to dark skies, lightning and a torrential downpour starting during Idlewild's set. During the set change, the first row of seats is flooded with water pouring from the upper sections. Mike comes out and tosses several shirts out to the crowd. The stage is mopped, equipment is covered and the band prepares to play as the downpour turns to steady rain and the lightning becomes less threatening. Opening with 'Release,' singing, "Oh, dear Dad, can you see us now? I am myself, like you somehow." (A large streak of lightning flashes across the sky). Ed says, "Hi, Dad." A rather powerful moment, helping fuel the rest of the "short, but sweet" set as the crowd sings the words in the rain. The setlist is rapid and somewhat different, seemingly constructed specifically for the circumstances, (such as 'Whipping': "Don't need a raincoat YOU'RE already wet!"). Not a lot of chat tonight with the show starting late. After 'Save You,' Ed brings the mic stand down on his monitor with great force and the stand and heavy, round base fly into the crowd, striking someone in the front row. Ed pays homage to the crowd in this totally uncovered venue for holding up and how it is turning out to be a "memorable evening." The first encore begins with a fiery 'Go' (which was to conclude the first set according to the written setlist). Ed moves to the front of the stage at various times, singing up into the rain. Mike climbs down to the front barrier during the 'Even Flow' solo, practically crawling into the crowd, then slipping on the wet stage and falling when returning. Ed speaks about stopping by to visit one of the West Memphis Three in Arkansas and how it makes you appreciate your freedoms and how you could lose them being in the wrong place at the wrong time. How it makes you appreciate open spaces and being able to gather together and have a great time and the "ability to stand in the rain all night." 'Baba' closes, with Ed removing his outer shirt and turning his back to the crowd, revealing his classic, worn Who shirt beneath.
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Whats interesting in hearing people's choices is how much a personal experience factors in. We seem to develop this intangible relationship with the band in a live setting that can often times outweigh the landmark show where they played this song or that song, or where Mike really ripped it up or something to that effect. I chose the final night of the Mansfield experiment, even though I wasn't there (went to the first two nights, was in Chicago unfortunately for the third night), but why I chose this one over others was the love and admiration the band shows for its fans. When I go back and listen to the show, I'm left with an undeniable sense of fulfillment on the part of the band and the fans. It was a gift for both us and them that they were able to perform every song the way they were intended to be delivered. I imagine those that were in attendance last autumn in Philadelphia experienced similar emotions to the ones I've described above.

So let's hear some more.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    i just sprained my brain, this is why i stopped going to strip clubs, to many options.
  • joe2468joe2468 Posts: 3,049
    joe2468 wrote:

your first kiss
    first time you got drunk

Pissed that I missed that show. I had football practice and couldn't miss it. I love listening to that boot though

it was a great show ...and for some reason i got stuck with lawn seats ....but still a great time got the boot got the poster(s) got the ticket stub got the tshirt .......a night i will never forget
    have you seen the colors of my fathers eyes
  • JL19851JL19851 Posts: 209
    Every show I have been to has been special for me, but Philly 10/31/09 takes the cake...not just for the show itself (which was the best show I've ever seen), but for the memory of the whole day, which was really something special.
  • RGarabed21RGarabed21 Posts: 467
    shadowcast wrote:
    Seen this DVD and the crowd was amazing. I think this was the show where fan club put new numbers up front and old numbers in the back.

Where can one find this DVD???
    MSG - 6/25/08 EV Solo Tower Theatre - 06/11/09
    Philly 2 - 10/28/09 Philly 3 - 10/30/09
    Philly 4 - 10/31/09
    Boston 1 - 05/17/10
    PruCenter - 05/18/10
    MSG 1 - 05/20/10
    MSG 2 - 05/21/10
    Alpine1 - 09/03/11 Alpine2 - 09/04/11
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    10/31/09 :mrgreen:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • AtlantaJammerAtlantaJammer Posts: 2,611
    Yield151 wrote:
    LA night 4 - 2009

something about this show really got me, best show I have been to
  • AtlantaJammerAtlantaJammer Posts: 2,611
    I might just choose Mansfield cause it has the most songs.
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Hmm... earlier, when they had much more energy and a better sound on the earlier stuff, but fewer songs. Or more recently where the early stuff is played just ok, but they have brilliant new stuff. Tough call!
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,258
    Tough to choose ..

Special show = My 1st with 10c tickets The Paramount show NY 94
    Favorite = Randall's Island Both Nights epic pits 8-) ..

But really there are somany others MSG shows have allways been classic ..

Ok one for the rest of my life i have to choose Philly 3rd night 8-) ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • veddertownveddertown Posts: 5,260
    Good grief man what a question to ask!! Listening to the live broadcast on BBC radio from Atlanta 94 will stick in my mind forever especially with the whole Kurt Cobain disappearance mystery still up in the air and with hearing Satan's Bed, Whipping and Betterman for the first time but from my boot collection the winner is............................................London 02 Arena 2009. I wasn't even there but this is so hard to beat for quality. Crowd, setlist, performance, mood are all exactly how a live gig should be and if Dublin is half as good then that one will obviously be the best ever :lol: Honestly, I get sick of hearing people right after a gig saying, "This has got to be released on dvd!" But this gig has got it and it's a shame we can't re-live it on dvd. Blue-ray :D
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Philly night 3 2009. I'm sure I will never see a better show again in my life
    2006: Albany
    2008: MSG I, MSG II, Newark(EV)
    2009: Albany 1-2(EV), Philly 3
    2010: Boston, MSG I
    2013: Buffalo, Brooklyn II, Hartford
    2016: MSG 1, MSG II, Fenway 1
  • 16/6/00 - Spodek Arena, Katowice, Poland

or

Philly III '09 :mrgreen:
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    Atlanta 94
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • TheVan218TheVan218 Posts: 302
    Hopefully Buffalo 2010...
  • Halloween at The Spectrum in Philly. Longest show ever. Tricks and plenty of treats. Is there any comparison? That capped the best four-show stand in the band's history, and I don't think it will be topped.
  • MahaloevMahaloev Posts: 305
    I still can't come up with just one... :? Can we put together a compilation of a few different shows? That may make it so much easier...
    The Stars, the Snow, the Fire
  • shadowcast wrote:
    Seen this DVD and the crowd was amazing. I think this was the show where fan club put new numbers up front and old numbers in the back.

Grand Rapids, MI
    Van Andel Arena
    May 19, 2006Set 1
    •Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
    •Given To Fly
    •World Wide Suicide
    •Life Wasted
    •Severed Hand
    •Sad
    •Marker In The Sand
    •Red Mosquito
    •Even Flow
    •Love Boat Captain
    •Corduroy
    •Daughter(Blitzkrieg Bop)(I Believe In Miracles)
    •Army Reserve
    •Green Disease
    •Why Go
    •Inside Job
    •Rearviewmirror
    Encore 1
    •Sleight Of Hand
    •Off He Goes
    •Around The Bend
    •Parting Ways
    •Hard To Imagine
    •Crazy Mary
    •Alive
    Encore 2
    •Do The Evolution
    •Comatose
    •Satan's Bed
    •Leatherman
    •Blood
    •Baba O'Riley
    •Yellow Ledbetter
    Pre-Opener
    •Dead Man Walking
    •Can't Explain
    Accompanying Support Act
    •It Makes No Difference

That is an unbelievable set list, and I'm sure an amazing show.

A lot of my favorites on there, but I am biased to say the 10/30/09 show was superb and I don't see how it could be topped. Particularly because I got to hear the new stuff and also my favorite Present Tense.
  • TheOxTheOx Posts: 27
    State College '03. Best show ever. I have won the lottery twice and for this show I was way up and to the Stone side of the stage. It is still simply the best concert I have ever attended.
  • can i just listen to the philly boots so i can claim that it's a tie between philly 3 or 4? i can tell by the setlists that they're gonna be the best shows ever. but at the moment i will say it's msg 7-8-03, it's my first show and i get to relive it over & over on dvd. :D p.s. actually that's a tie also along with atlanta 94 radio broadcast(still have it on cassette with the after-show) i can still hear the basketball bouncing in my head right now during the encore breaks... :lol:
    Everything has chains, absolutely nothing's changed...
  • Philly night 3 2009. I'm sure I will never see a better show again in my life

+1, though night 4 was pretty amazing too
    Austin, TX
  • AmherstJammerAmherstJammer Posts: 1,510
    San Diego 2006
  • I choose July 11, 2003 Tweeter Center Mansfield experiment.

This.

Or State College 03 just for the solo on Black
    2006- Boston I
    2008- Boston I+II
    2009- Toronto, Philly III+IV
    2010- Bristow, Hartford, Boston, Newark
  • battan1120battan1120 Posts: 310
    Halifax 2005 :D:D:D:D:D
    The bus came by and I got on!!!!!
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave Posts: 41,823
    I was at the Halloween show and unfortunately missed the Oct. 30th show. I would have to go with the 30th only cuz i missed it and the set list looked sweet.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • ItsOK921ItsOK921 Posts: 169
    Philly III. From everything to the hype leading up to the show, the setlist, the energy of the crowd and band, it was just epic.