If you could only choose one show

FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
edited March 2010 in The Porch
Here's a hypothetical for the board.

If you were forced to listen to only one Pearl Jam show for the rest of your life, what show would it be? Would it be a personal show, one you enjoyed with friends at a special point in your life, and you want to relive that going forward? Would it be a landmark show that shows a wide spectrum of the band's catalog?

Also within the hypothetical is that you still get to listen to all the studio stuff, as well as music from other artists.

I choose July 11, 2003 Tweeter Center Mansfield experiment.

Anyone else?
"FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• klusterfukklusterfuk Posts: 1,411
    8-23-09
    nuff said :mrgreen:
    The future's paved with better days

Alpine Valley Resort is etched in my brain!!!

• LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Interesting. It would def have to be one I attended. Hartford 98 (my first) is up there but it ended early. I'm gonna go with Hartford 2006. Ed was loving the crowd that night even though it was cold as hell.
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,799
    Hartford 08.......what a night

so many others, that one was just great
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,464
    cincy.......
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • momofglynnmomofglynn Posts: 849
    04/12/1994

Its the one that started it all for me
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • wow

i s'pose id go on personal experience as that is why i connect with most bootlegs

and it would be a really tough pick between two particular shows from two different coast from two different years, 03 and 06...

hmmmmm...

ok!! http://pearljam.com/show/verizon-wireless-amphitheatre-jun-02-2003
    and fuck me if I say somethin you dont wanna hear, fuck me!
    and fuck me if you only hear what you wanna hear
    fuck me...if I care...but im not leavin here
  • MahaloevMahaloev Posts: 305
    Wow, that's super hard...I've gotta think about this one for a few.
    The Stars, the Snow, the Fire
  • Yield151Yield151 Posts: 267
    LA night 4 - 2009

something about this show really got me, best show I have been to
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    Berlin 09. I wasn't there but probably the greatest shows I have ever heard.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • kasedougkasedoug Posts: 2,935
    I'd have to go with personal experience and while it'd be hard to pick against some of the shows I saw in the '09 run, I'd have to go with my first. 7.9.06 LA1

As we're dealing in hypotheticals, if there were official bootlegs from the EV solo tour then I'd have to say 4.10.08 Santa Barbara which was one of the best concert going experiences I've had.
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    klusterfuk wrote:
    8-23-09
    nuff said :mrgreen:

i do think this show was special and unlike any pj show i've seen or will see.

that said, my pick would be bonnaroo. for me, it was transcendent.
  • KloddzKloddz Posts: 2,573
    August 15th, 2009 - if just for the memories...
    Bern - September 13, 2006
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

http://www.last.fm/user/Kloddz
  • Rossum20Rossum20 Posts: 910
    Buffalo 03

Ottawa if they could remaster the 05 boots
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,180
    Milan 2006. That´s the greatest one I have attended... Even though Verona was more moody...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Hellooooo Tom ;)
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Aero83_Aero83_ Posts: 933
    Hmmm...what a thought provoking question and I am stumped. Let me think..
    All the shows are great so it would probably be a show I had been to with some amazing type of context.

perhaps a show where I skied or surfed with cool friends before or after a show??? nah boring
    a show in an ancient roman amphitheater...nah
    my first show in Reno before I lit out???? nah..too predictable
    one of the incredible LA shows?? hmmm close but I dont think so
    one of the San Diego shows? Always a good choice and possibly, but not in this case..
    Philadelphia and the last show at the storied spectrum? ooh, even closer but still no..

I'm thinking probably a show I haven't seen yet and one where perhaps one, two, or four of my little stalker bitches will finally swing by to say hi ;) Yeah, probably that one, if I could only choose one show.. 8-)
    ...10/31/09, 05/21/10, Peru, Los Angeles
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    This is the easiest answer ever and since 99% of u on this board weren't there and haven't heard it yet i forgive u. Philly3 of the 4 night run is the greatest PJ show ever. No other show including any gorge,boston,vic,LA,seattle,chicago,international,old school 90's show compares period. Look at the set list here the crowd watch the DVD(eventually) and u will have no doubt that Philly night3 is by far the greatest show any band ever performed.
    Set List: Gonna See My Friend, The Fixer, In My Tree, Given To Fly, Tremor Christ, Untitled/ MFC, Hold On, Unthought Known, In Hiding, Deep, Habit, Cropduster, Off He Goes, Force Of Nature, Present Tense, Got Some, Do The Evolution

1st encore: Just Breathe w/string quartet, Parting Ways w/string quartet, Jeremy w/string quartet, Breath, Light Years, Rearviewmirror

2nd encore: Whipping, Crazy Mary (Williams), Footsteps, Once, Alive, Sonic Reducer (Dead Boys), Baba O'Riley (Townshend)
    Go Birds!!!!
  • HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    10/30/09.

Ideally with a bonus disc of the various parties across that week.

Including such gems as

Lisa: Oh my god, Sharon, you're Brad!

Joni: Hinny! We gotta get a shot with the pumpkins!

Eric's efforts at the karaoke bar

G2

Me: Dude, Joe, why the fuck did you pay 5 bucks for a balloon?
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    This is the easiest answer ever and since 99% of u on this board weren't there and haven't heard it yet i forgive u. Philly3 of the 4 night run is the greatest PJ show ever. No other show including any gorge,boston,vic,LA,seattle,chicago,international,old school 90's show compares period. Look at the set list here the crowd watch the DVD(eventually) and u will have no doubt that Philly night3 is by far the greatest show any band ever performed.
    Set List: Gonna See My Friend, The Fixer, In My Tree, Given To Fly, Tremor Christ, Untitled/ MFC, Hold On, Unthought Known, In Hiding, Deep, Habit, Cropduster, Off He Goes, Force Of Nature, Present Tense, Got Some, Do The Evolution

1st encore: Just Breathe w/string quartet, Parting Ways w/string quartet, Jeremy w/string quartet, Breath, Light Years, Rearviewmirror

2nd encore: Whipping, Crazy Mary (Williams), Footsteps, Once, Alive, Sonic Reducer (Dead Boys), Baba O'Riley (Townshend)
    +1
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• London O2 2009.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    Athens 06
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Here's a hypothetical for the board.

If you were forced to listen to only one Pearl Jam show for the rest of your life, what show would it be? Would it be a personal show, one you enjoyed with friends at a special point in your life, and you want to relive that going forward? Would it be a landmark show that shows a wide spectrum of the band's catalog?

Also within the hypothetical is that you still get to listen to all the studio stuff, as well as music from other artists.

I choose July 11, 2003 Tweeter Center Mansfield experiment.

Anyone else?
    It would be the last they did here in the states, 10/31/09.
    A day I will never forget and always will wish to relive.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,848
    metsfan wrote:

+1
    yeah but we need the sound board recordings before making it a desert island disc ;)

impossible to choose
    uniondale or mansfield 3 from 2003
    albany from 06
    hartford from 08

one of those
  • qcreteqcrete Posts: 135
    Blaisedell Center Honolulu HI 12/02/2006

Blaisedell Center
    Dec 02, 2006

Set 1
    •Oceans
    •Corduroy
    •Animal
    •Do The Evolution
    •World Wide Suicide
    •Severed Hand
    •Given To Fly
    •Love Boat Captain
    •Wishlist
    •Even Flow
    •You Are
    •Unemployable
    •Jeremy
    •Wasted Reprise
    •Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
    •Hawaii 78
    •Better Man
    •Porch
    Encore 1
    •Inside Job
    •Man Of The Hour
    •Last Kiss
    •Crazy Mary
    •Black
    •Alive
    Encore 2
    •You're True
    •Smile
    •Why Go
    •Big Wave
    •Life Wasted
    •Rockin' In The Free World
    •Yellow Ledbetter(Little Wing)
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,875
    Boston Show 5 2010

:)
  • not4u32not4u32 Posts: 46
    For me personally its 8/23/09...good setlist...and my wife made the bootleg :thumbup:
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    06/16/00 - Spodek: Katowice, Poland [145m]
    attendance: 3,000 (capacity 8,000)
    support act: Dismemberment Plan
    set: Release, Of The Girl, Sleight of Hand, Thin Air, Insignificance, Grievance, Corduroy, Animal, Hail Hail, State of Love and Trust, Evacuation, Daughter/(ABitW)/(On a Rope), Jeremy, I Got Shit, Light Years, Leatherman, In Hiding, Off He Goes, Dissident, MFC, Habit, Alive
    enc: Smile, Immortality, Black, Leaving Here, Soldier of Love, Last Exit, Soon Forget, Yellow Ledbetter

notes: [This date was originally scheduled for the Petiofi Csarnock in Budapest, Hungary.]
    Those who showed a ticket stub from the previous night's show could buy a ticket to the second show at half price! The whole band is in a great mood, smiling throughout the show. A special atmosphere is created from the very beginning of the show, making it feel like they are playing right in your living room. Ed fucks up the lyrics and starts directly with "Oh dear dad, can you see me now...", making 'Release' a very short song but still very intense. 'Of The Girl' and then two more slow songs follow, introduced with, "We'll try and take it easy tonight. Let's get through the pretty ones first..." After each song the band gathers in the middle of the stage and discusses what they will play next. Eddie keeps the other band members from changing their instruments a few times. Mike seems to be very tired and introverted during the first few songs, but still interacts very much with the crowd in front of him. Ed catches a bouquet with a note. He reads it and says, "Oh, they're from a guy" -- 'I'll meet you the show.'" He rips the petals off the flowers during 'Sleight of Hand' while the stage is bathed in blue light. The crowd is hypnotized witnessing something special happening on stage as it seemed like they would go on with slow songs forever but then they changed hitting with five unbelievable rocking tracks in a row !!! Ed dons a gas mask during 'Daughter' (hey, it was only a matter of time). 'Daughter' is breathtaking with Mike playing some short riffs from 'Another Brick in the Wall' throughout the whole song. When Ed starts singing the verse, everyone joins in with Ed encouraging them by pointing at his ear several times. He sings, "The shades go down..." through a gas mask that was thrown on stage by a fan. 'On a Rope' is a Rocket From The Crypt song. Ed omits out the first chorus of 'Jeremy' like the "new" version played on previous tours. He introduces 'Light Years' with, "This song is about ... well, you know what it is about. It means a lot to me and I hope that it means a lot to you as well." After the song he adds, "The next song is also about a dead guy," and then they start 'Leatherman.' Before 'Off He Goes' Ed says, "That's a little song about friendship. About a friend that is an asshole". Then he points his finger at himself saying quietly that he is an asshole. The audience responds: "Noooooo!". Ed catches a t-shirt during 'Alive' and blindfolds his eyes with it throughout half the song. Mike catches a rose and attaches it to his guitar. The audience yells "Smile, smile" between the songs, and they play it as the encore opener. 'Black' and 'Immortality' are just magical, first with Ed burning the cork of his wine bottle and painting his face and arms with it and then the whole band lining up in front of Matt during the end of 'Immortality,' letting everyone see what a great time they are having and how much they still enjoy playing music together. After 'Soldier of Love,' the audience does the "cha-cha-cha" thing from the single and it makes Ed laugh. Ed manages to convince every fan to be silent during 'Soon Forget,' although they start quietly singing along with Ed. Mike tags some of Van Halen's 'Dance the Night Away' onto 'YL.' Ed takes the usual polaroids of the first row and takes one picture of himself which he throws off the stage right in the hand of some lucky fan. The setlist was modified as they played this amazing show.
  • AmyMooreAmyMoore Posts: 140
    09/05/00 – Post Gazette Pavilion at Star Lake: Pittsburgh, PA
    attendance: 23,126
    set: Ed pre-show: Trouble, Dead Man, Parting Ways, Naked Eye (both Naked Eye and Parting Ways w/Lee Ranaldo, Steve Shelley, and Jim O’Rourke)
    Even Flow, Hail Hail, Animal, Corduroy, Grievance, In My Tree, Nothing As It Seems, Light Years, Daughter/(Bull In The Heather}/(Androgynous Mind), Leatherman, Better Man/(Save It For Later), Sleight of Hand, Given To Fly, Last Exit, Rearviewmirror, I Got Shit, Black, Porch
    enc 1: Breakerfall, Go, Once, Mankind, Elderly Woman, Crazy Mary, Wash, I Got You, Insignificance
    enc 2: Baba O’Riley
    notes: The ‘Daughter’ tag (Sonic Youth’s ‘Bull in the Heather’) is a surprise. (This hasn’t been tagged on ‘Daughter’ since the ‘96 tour and is more extended.) Ed runs off the stage during ‘Daughter,’ returning with a sheet of lyrics that he uses to sing the tag. The band is very manic tonight. Ed lets a fan in the front count off the “1,2,3,4″ to open ‘Porch’ and Mike smashes a guitar. He tosses it up into the air, and then after it crashes to the ground, he picks it up and then smashes it to smithereens against a speaker. Ed throws himself full speed at the same speaker. Before the first encore, Ed says that it’s usually the second to last show of the tour that’s the best, but not this time — the last show of the tour is the best one. During ‘Go’ Ed is running around centerstage backwards in a circle. Lots of glowstick throwing. Ed throws one from the stage to the upper half of the pavilion. Both Mike and Ed have their fun kicking beach balls into the crowd. Stone before ‘Mankind’: “All right, I’m gonna sing one!” ‘I Got You’ includes two band huddles, where they all strum each of their guitars trying to figure out the right notes for the song. After the first one, Ed says “I think we got it”, only to have to meet again because they don’t have it. Ed comes back, spreads his arms and says, “What the fuck?” At the conclusion, Stone quips, “Nothing like a little improv.” He also says it had been a tough tour, but the fans are making it tough for him to quit. Members of Sonic Youth help out with ‘Baba,’ ending with Ed doing multiple Townshend jumps and windmills.
    The Wash Story: Just before ‘Crazy Mary,’ Ed says that they are getting to the part of the show now where they were going to get a little crazy, “or to borrow from another Seattle band, they are going to go ‘Crazy On You’” (a nod to Heart). Ed then mentions that there is a woman with a white umbrella, and he wants security to find her and to bring her down to the side of the stage. “She’s OK; let her come on down.” After ‘Crazy Mary’ Ed asks if they found the person with the umbrella (which they did – Pete went out to find her). So then the person (hi, Amy!!) is brought out from sidestage, and they have a private conversation, after which Ed says, “Hey everybody, this is Amy … I asked her how many shows she’s been to,’cause we’ve seen her at like the last 12 or 15. She said over a hundred. Oh my God (hugging Amy). And then Ed proceeds to take Stone’s stool, and puts it down right next to his microphone, and sits her on that stool and they play ‘Wash.’ After the song, Ed introduces her to all of the band members; Mike hugs her, Stone kisses her and she has a brief chat with all of them
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    qcrete wrote:
    Blaisedell Center Honolulu HI 12/02/2006

Blaisedell Center
    Dec 02, 2006

Set 1
    •Oceans
    •Corduroy
    •Animal
    •Do The Evolution
    •World Wide Suicide
    •Severed Hand
    •Given To Fly
    •Love Boat Captain
    •Wishlist
    •Even Flow
    •You Are
    •Unemployable
    •Jeremy
    •Wasted Reprise
    •Hawaii 78
    •Better Man
    •Porch
    Encore 1
    •Inside Job
    •Man Of The Hour
    •Last Kiss
    •Crazy Mary
    •Black
    •Alive
    Encore 2
    •You're True
    •Smile
    •Why Go
    •Big Wave
    •Life Wasted
    •Rockin' In The Free World
    •Yellow Ledbetter(Little Wing)

oceans and hawaii 78 make this a great choice
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,182
    Seen this DVD and the crowd was amazing. I think this was the show where fan club put new numbers up front and old numbers in the back.

Grand Rapids, MI
    Van Andel Arena
    May 19, 2006Set 1
    •Given To Fly
    •World Wide Suicide
    •Life Wasted
    •Severed Hand
    •Sad
    •Marker In The Sand
    •Red Mosquito
    •Even Flow
    •Love Boat Captain
    •Corduroy
    •Daughter(Blitzkrieg Bop)(I Believe In Miracles)
    •Army Reserve
    •Green Disease
    •Why Go
    •Inside Job
    •Rearviewmirror
    Encore 1
    •Sleight Of Hand
    •Off He Goes
    •Around The Bend
    •Parting Ways
    •Hard To Imagine
    •Crazy Mary