CANADA VS RUSSIA MENS HOCKEY

Comments

• I am starting to get a little tense about tonight.

Me too!!! I think we will do it though!

This our game!!
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    Just a question for you folks from Canada.....

If you lose tonight???

Does all of Canada go in to mourning???

In other words....How serious is this game??

Put it in to perspective for me.....

Mourning maybe too harsh a word

Extreme dissapointment and massive bitching and moaning on radio shows across the nation tomorrow

Alot of frustration that we are basically repeating 2006 loss in the QF to Russia

We'll get over it, but not for a couple of weeks will it disappear from the national conscious
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • smarchee wrote:

If you lose tonight???

Extreme dissapointment and massive bitching and moaning on radio shows across the nation tomorrow

Alot of frustration that we are basically repeating 2006 loss in the QF to Russia

We'll get over it, but not for a couple of weeks will it disappear from the national conscious
    Yeah....

The older I get...
    The less passionate I am about sports....

Its just a fucking game....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087

If you lose tonight???

Well over 1/2 the tv sets in Canada will be tuned into this, the bars might do better tonight than New Years Eve.
    If we lose, we'll curse and blame everybody including the Zamboni driver and critique this team and wonder what went wrong for about a week, then we'll sober up. Quite honestly if I thought we had no chance, then I would have rather lost to Germany than the States and Russia in the same year, that would really suck.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    smarchee wrote:

If you lose tonight???

Yeah....

The older I get...
    The less passionate I am about sports....

Its just a fucking game....

Thats just it, to us we are sooooooo passionate about hockey, very similar to Americans and football. In America baseball may be your national past time but I think football is your passion, in Canada hockey is our passion and millions play the game into old age, there are rec leagues everywhere, even if you can't skate people still play. Thats one thing that amazes me about your country, you play many sports but you don't really have this kind of rivalry with other countries in like baseball or even basketball. You have a rivalry with us in hockey to a degree, and this past year has been good to you guys in hockey, but we'll get back to kicking your ass's soon enough. but for me Canada - Russia is still bigger, mainly because Russia produce's such high quality players.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • lukin2006 wrote:

If you lose tonight???

Well over 1/2 the tv sets in Canada will be tuned into this, the bars might do better tonight than New Years Eve.
    If we lose, we'll curse and blame everybody including the Zamboni driver and critique this team and wonder what went wrong for about a week, then we'll sober up. Quite honestly if I thought we had no chance, then I would have rather lost to Germany than the States and Russia in the same year, that would really suck.
    Here in the states...

They didnt even broadcast last Sunday's game on national television....

Quite a difference.....
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056

Quite a difference.....
    This blows my mind....doesn't NBC carry the Cup finals down there? You'd think they'd want to promote the game...what were they showing? I don't understand what could have possibly been a bigger draw down there than the pro's in a semi-major sport...
    I feel like a kid waiting for xmas right now...gonna be so intense!
  • They didnt even broadcast last Sunday's game on national television....

Quite a difference.....
    This blows my mind....doesn't NBC carry the Cup finals down there? You'd think they'd want to promote the game...what were they showing? I don't understand what could have possibly been a bigger draw down there than the pro's in a semi-major sport...
    A bigger draw???

Ice Dancing....

And the network has the stats to prove it....

As a whole....On a Sunday night in America....More people will watch Ice Dancing than Hockey.....

And actually its not even close......

MILLIONS more will watch Ice dancing.......
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685

Quite a difference.....
    A bigger draw???

Ice Dancing....

And the network has the stats to prove it....

As a whole....On a Sunday night in America....More people will watch Ice Dancing than Hockey.....

And actually its not even close......

MILLIONS more will watch Ice dancing.......
    Oh, you saw us win gold in ice dancing? How was that?
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    The game is going to be fantastic. It's unbelievable to me, though, that one of those two teams isn't going to medal. Ovechkin's going to be gunning for Sid, but if he expects him to crumble like Jagr did Vech has another thing coming...
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Rygar wrote:
    hehehehehe

Actually I was one of the few, who did not watch the Ice Dancing...hehehehe

But from what I read about your goalie Brodeur.....He might want to think about getting in to Ice Dancing....hehehehehehhee
  • If we lose tonight.....we invade the country to the South.

We will start by taking control of North Dakota. No one will notice us until it is too late.
  • If we lose tonight.....we invade the country to the South.

We will start by taking control of North Dakota. No one will notice us until it is too late.
    hehehehe

Hell, if you ask nicely....

We might just give you North Dakota....

Hell....You can also have South Dakota and Iowa if you want........
    lukin2006 wrote:

Thats just it, to us we are sooooooo passionate about hockey, very similar to Americans and football. In America baseball may be your national past time but I think football is your passion, in Canada hockey is our passion and millions play the game into old age, there are rec leagues everywhere, even if you can't skate people still play.
    :)
    I am gettin old and still play beer league...there is no team sport that comes even close to the level of fun...
    And ya...in the four seasons since I started playing again, we've had four different people start that had never been on skates...we suck, but we have a blast :)

SPEEDY - I shouldn't be surprised, I guess...you guys made dancing with the stars a hit, and NASCAR always outdraws hockey.....:roll:
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146

Quite a difference.....

and if it is shown on nbc, the west gets all coverage tape delayed...for example, todays us/swiss game will be shown live in the east but delayed 3 hours out west...and yet their ratings are strong so they won't change :roll:

but the canada game will be shown live on msmbc to the entire country...logic is not their strong suit
    norm wrote:

but the canada game will be shown live on msmbc to the entire country...logic is not their strong suit
    wow, wtf????? :lol:
    dummies.
    Rygar wrote:
    hehehehehe

Actually I was one of the few, who did not watch the Ice Dancing...hehehehe

But from what I read about your goalie Brodeur.....He might want to think about getting in to Ice Dancing....hehehehehehhee
    You mean baseball ;)

And we accept your terms, our invasion has been called off. When can we move in?
    norm wrote:

dummies.
    They just want to see us get killed by the Ruskies more than their win over poor Switzerland, that's all.
    norm wrote:

dummies.

yep! the same network that carries the stanley cup finals...gary bettman needs to go away
    norm wrote:
    norm wrote:

dummies.

yep! the same network that carries the stanley cup finals...gary bettman needs to go away
    Most of the continent can agree on that statement
  • lukin2006 wrote:

Thats just it, to us we are sooooooo passionate about hockey, very similar to Americans and football. In America baseball may be your national past time but I think football is your passion, in Canada hockey is our passion and millions play the game into old age, there are rec leagues everywhere, even if you can't skate people still play.
    :)
    I am gettin old and still play beer league...there is no team sport that comes even close to the level of fun...
    And ya...in the four seasons since I started playing again, we've had four different people start that had never been on skates...we suck, but we have a blast :)

SPEEDY - I shouldn't be surprised, I guess...you guys made dancing with the stars a hit, and NASCAR always outdraws hockey.....:roll:

NASCAR scares me...well at least their fans do :lol:

why do they scare you?

Nascar-Hairy-Back-resized.jpg

:shock: :lol:
  • norm wrote:

why do they scare you?

Nascar-Hairy-Back-resized.jpg

:shock: :lol:

*meow*

Now that is class
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    norm wrote:
    and if it is shown on nbc, the west gets all coverage tape delayed...for example, todays us/swiss game will be shown live in the east but delayed 3 hours out west...and yet their ratings are strong so they won't change :roll:

I just found this out ... so, the US game will start 3 hours late on TV ... and, will overlap with the live coverage of the Canada Russia game which starts at 4:30, live.

Who's spectacularly fucktarded idea was this???
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    jimed14 wrote:
    norm wrote:

I just found this out ... so, the US game will start 3 hours late on TV ... and, will overlap with the live coverage of the Canada Russia game which starts at 4:30, live.

That is pretty damn fucktarded.
    Especially when the result is ruined beforehand.
  • They didnt even broadcast last Sunday's game on national television....

Quite a difference.....

NBC and "promote the game" don't really belong in the same paragraph...

I couldn't care less though what network they put it on, we get them all in HD anyway so I can watch and that's really all who I care about :)
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    Rygar wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:
    norm wrote:

That is pretty damn fucktarded.
    Especially when the result is ruined beforehand.

Exactly, once I start flipping over to the Russia v Canada game at 4:30, SOMEONE is going to mention the final score from the US game.

Looks like I'll try and find the US game live online ... wow. So, ridiculous.

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    jimed14 wrote:

Exactly, once I start flipping over to the Russia v Canada game at 4:30, SOMEONE is going to mention the final score from the US game.

Looks like I'll try and find the US game live online ... wow. So, ridiculous.
    I have the same problem with Formula 1 coverage, although that is just a time zone problem..
  • jimed14 wrote:
    norm wrote:

How does that make sense? the game is played in the same time zone, why can't it be live? I really am afraid of the answer to this, but what programming does NBC think is more important than showing the US game live.

At least on the east coast, we can watch it live.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    The thing is, are there really going to be more viewers of the US game at 3 pm on tape then there are at noon live?

Honestly, they will have LESS, becuse many folks are going to find out the final before hand and not watch.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck you, NBC.