CANADA VS RUSSIA MENS HOCKEY

lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
edited February 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Canada hasn't beaten the Russians since 1960 in Olympic hockey. No time like the present to end that streak. Should be great game, Ovie seems to bring the best out of Sid. I am hoping they keep the top line together.

My keys for Canada victory

-good goaltending...goes without saying
-getting the puck on net
-traffic in front of Nabokov
-no stupid penalties
-get physical
-limit defensive breakdowns
-short quick passes
-shoot as soon as the puck is on their stick
-watch for the russian stretch pass
I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Go Russia,FUCK DALLAS
    Go Birds!!!!
  • we need 3 things:

1. Hit them.
    2. Forecheck (their defense is their weakness)
    3. Play the trap against the big line
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Posts: 22,697
    Well this the year we break the winless streak against the soviets. I say Brendan Morrow pulls a Bobby Clarke on Ovie in the first couple of mins. 8-) That will set the TONE. Then let the beating start. :D
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    BLACK35 wrote:
    Well this the year we break the winless streak against the soviets. I say Brendan Morrow pulls a Bobby Clarke on Ovie in the first couple of mins. 8-) That will set the TONE. Then let the beating start. :D
    I'm not so confident
  • If that chant at the end of the game didn't give the boys some inpspiration then they may as well watch the game tonight.

We need Morrow to welcome Ovi to Canada. In a nice unconcious way.

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    If that chant at the end of the game didn't give the boys some inpspiration then they may as well watch the game tonight.

Even though he's a great player, he's also dirty, so he would have it coming, but let Pronger or Bergeron have at it they are not playing much anyways. What the hell was Philly thinking trading Pronger :o .
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• will Joe Thornton ever show up in a big game ?
    Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse
    Of my innocence... got back my inner sense...
    We can pull this game out. Ovie's a great player and all, but so is Sid and he seems to play his best against Ovie, I saw a lot of good things yesterday ann Sunday against the, hopefully Lou was the missing piece and has great game.

m0jorisen wrote:
    will Joe Thornton ever show up in a big game ?
    No......he never does, 2 reasons why San Jose will not win the cup, Thorton and Nabokov.

lukin2006 wrote:
    If that chant at the end of the game didn't give the boys some inpspiration then they may as well watch the game tonight.

Even though he's a great player, he's also dirty, so he would have it coming, but let Pronger or Bergeron have at it they are not playing much anyways. What the hell was Philly thinking trading Pronger :o .
    You mean signing Pronger ;)

He's a dirty fucker, imo.

I think the crowd will be into the 1/2 hour before the puck drops, I hope somebody on Canada throws a monster check just to everybody on the bench pumped. No other country makes as much noise as we do during hickey games.

lukin2006 wrote:

I think the crowd will be into the 1/2 hour before the puck drops, I hope somebody on Canada throws a monster check just to everybody on the bench pumped. No other country makes as much noise as we do during hickey games.
    Lol, you're supposed to watch the sport.
    Rygar wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

You mean signing Pronger ;)

He's a dirty fucker, imo.
    Yes, typo, he's penalty prone, like you said dirty, and past his prime :!: :!:

lukin2006 wrote:
    Yeah, I know it was a typo I was just kidding.

What did Philadelphia sign him to, 7 or 8 years?
    Rygar wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

Did they really sign him for that long? No wonder they haven't won a cup in 30 + years. That's one player I'm sure Yzerman regrets adding to the team

lukin2006 wrote:
    Rygar wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

Did they really sign him for that long? No wonder they haven't won a cup in 30 + years. That's one player I'm sure Yzerman regrets adding to the team
    Philly doesn't need to worry, my Habs love ridiculous contracts and we'll take him and then buy him out.
  • I think it comes down to the forecheck and playing physical in the offensive zone. Russia's D can move the puck up quickly if they have a second, but are a bit soft. Crashing the net, big bodies in front, etc, should generate some chances. For Canada to win, I think they'll need a few good ol' garbage goals.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • lukin2006 wrote:
    Rygar wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

7 year extension lol.... starting NEXT year. He's on the books for $5 million a year through the 2016-2017 season :)
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    I think it comes down to the forecheck and playing physical in the offensive zone. Russia's D can move the puck up quickly if they have a second, but are a bit soft. Crashing the net, big bodies in front, etc, should generate some chances. For Canada to win, I think they'll need a few good ol' garbage goals.
    Agreed.
    If Canada DOES pull out a win tonight then I'll be a little more optimistic about our overall chances, but I'm not very optimistic right now ;)
    Rygar wrote:
    I think it comes down to the forecheck and playing physical in the offensive zone. Russia's D can move the puck up quickly if they have a second, but are a bit soft. Crashing the net, big bodies in front, etc, should generate some chances. For Canada to win, I think they'll need a few good ol' garbage goals.
    Agreed.
    If Canada DOES pull out a win tonight then I'll be a little more optimistic about our overall chances, but I'm not very optimistic right now ;)
    Maybe I'm just to loyal, but I'm optimistic, when in hockey, going back to the '72 series have we done things the easy way, it always seems like we take the long road. However, I am still wondering who on this team is going to fill the roll that Sakic, Messier, Gretzky or Henderson provided, someone has to step in to that roll, I'm hoping it is Sid.
    GO CANADA GO

lukin2006 wrote:
    Rygar wrote:
    Agreed.
    Maybe I'm just to loyal, but I'm optimistic, when in hockey, going back to the '72 series have we done things the easy way, it always seems like we take the long road. However, I am still wondering who on this team is going to fill the roll that Sakic, Messier, Gretzky or Henderson provided, someone has to step in to that roll, I'm hoping it is Sid.
    GO CANADA GO
    Could be that I'm just pessimistic. I am a Habs fan, after all.
  • GO CANADA!!!!!!!!!
  • I am starting to get a little tense about tonight.
  • Go Russia!!!!!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    Go Russia!!!!!

please exit this thread with these type of views

hehehe
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Go Russia!!!!!
    So Speedy is a Pinko........ :evil:
  • smarchee wrote:
    Go Russia!!!!!

please exit this thread with these type of views

hehehe
    hehehehe

I wanna see Canada get bounced out of this......

I dont know why....

But I want to see you guys go home, with your hockey sticks between your legs......hehehehehehe
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    pfft

I wanna see the Americans going home with their stick between their legs after Hiller steals the game this afternoon for the Switz

just don't trash any athlete villages this time :)
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Just a question for you folks from Canada.....

If you lose tonight???

Does all of Canada go in to mourning???

In other words....How serious is this game??

Put it in to perspective for me.....
    Just a question for you folks from Canada.....

If you lose tonight???

Does all of Canada go in to mourning???

In other words....How serious is this game??

Put it in to perspective for me.....
    Well after the riot, we'll accept it.

Just kidding - we won't find acceptance.