the new tour?

13»

Comments

• When would the US tour be if it was going ahead this tr??

Before or after June. Where would they play?
    Dublin '96, '00, '06, '10
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • BeerBaronBeerBaron Posts: 4,097
    When would the US tour be if it was going ahead this tr??

You have a lot of threads to catch up on :D

It is looking like April/May for the US, so before Europe...
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    I wouldnt call this making up excuses either.
    They don't need excuses. They are well established and respected in their line of work and most probably finacially sound so they can allow themselves the luxury of 'working' (ie touring) when it suits. It's no different than say, my brother-in-law, who is very well known and respected in his field, who decided to quit his job as Vice President of a major international company to go into consulting. He works when it suits him and has a lot more time for his family, friends and hobbies.
  • BeerBaron wrote:
    When would the US tour be if it was going ahead this tr??

You have a lot of threads to catch up on :D

It is looking like April/May for the US, so before Europe...

What, like the dates they did in the US in 09??

Hard to know where they will play if its just Apr/ May.
    Dublin '96, '00, '06, '10
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    Without any confirmed source ..but relying upon the band's approach of prior East Coast tours the past 10 years, I'm predicting:

May 2010

2 shows in Mansfield, Ma *(aka "Great Woods")
    1 show at The Dodge Center in Hartford (either before or after)
    plus two shows at MSG.

I'll own up on this thread if I'm wrong..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • DS114969 wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    Well I think the guys really like Europe and their fans there as much as the states. The world- its like one big home to them, being loved and appreciated all over.
    As far as the South- we did get dates- Columbia was awesome and there were FL dates Bonnaroo and VA.
    This year they will do the Jazzfest.
    I think they spread the love pretty well and we just need to save our money and travel to the closest city if they don't play our hometowns.

Tampa and Columbia are 1000 miles or more from Texas and even Bonnaroo is over 700 miles. I don't consider that spreading the love pretty well. So while some cities did get dates in 2008, I don't think Flagg, MFC, RedMosquito and I can say "we did get dates." I'm at least fortunate that I've had the opportunity to travel to see the band, but I know many others don't have that chance.

I'll try to keep my agreement brief, because the last time I posted something about this a whole bunch of people jumped down my throat.

So...

I agree.

Having the band come within 700 miles once every few years isn't the same as having them play within a few hour's drive several times a year. I know the population density in the Northeast means there are more people there they need to please, and that the South isn't exactly the most rock-friendly part of the country... but it's been slim pickings here for a while. I have other considerations beyond just the band when it comes to the use of my vacation time, plus I'm a state employee in Louisiana so my pay is bollocks to begin with, so I'm not someone who can pack up and head to another part of the country on a whim to see them.

It sucks being a state-employed PJ fan in the South...
    And I listen for the voice inside my head... nothing. I'll do this one myself.
  • As someone who works in business, I can understand why PJ tours the way they do. They don't 'need' the money, and logistically and economically speaking, it's no wonder they concentrate on the North East and Europe (easy to get around, not a lot of miles between shows, well received by fans).

Now, as a fan, I am dying for them to come to Winnipeg/Fargo/Minni as they are the closest shows I could likely make, but seriously, none of us 'deserve' a show. We seem a little tunnel-visioned around here. We are die hard fans, but PJ will not drive 800 miles between shows to play to 60% full arenas. It's just not good business sense.

As for the 10club, and the lack of info, please remember they work directly for the boys, and anything that comes from the 10Club is started at the top, so don't blame the messenger (or lack there of).
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684

We are die hard fans, but PJ will not drive 800 miles between shows to play to 60% full arenas. It's just not good business sense.

Once again I feel the need to correct this statement. Houston and Dallas shows sell out every time they play here. They even sold out 2 Houston shows in 2000. These cities could both be doable since they already have a date in New Orleans. What arenas specifically, were only 60 % full, or are you just making that up?

I can understand why they would skip smaller markets like Oklahoma City, Little Rock, and Birmingham but we are not complaining because these cities are skipped, we are complaining because major metropolitan areas are. And again, which of these shows were only 60 % full?
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • JL19851 wrote:
    Granted that I've seen them plenty of times, but I have no complaints about the band at this point in their career.

I think it is perfectly acceptable for them to do whatever it is that they want with their time, given that they've earned a lot of money over the years. If they want to tour less, even if it is for family reasons, so be it. That's their choice. I never read an interview where they said they would like to tour more, but they are hamstrung by their families. They said they wanted to spend more time with them. If by more they mean a lot more than the average joe, then they've earned that right, and more power to them for enjoying their families. That's not bogus at all.

In any event, call me the rare soul, but after 20 years, I am just thankful for anything they produce now. Whether its tour, bootlegs, DVDs, whatever...we're entitled to none of it, yet they provide us with all of it, albeit on their terms and not ours, which was what their stated goal has been for many years, to do their business on their terms. If you don't like those terms, you are in no way obligated to abide by them, as you can choose not to do business with them. Comparing them to other bands is patently unfair because Pearl Jam never promised to be like other bands and has never been like other bands. For that as well, I am thankful.

:thumbup: :clap::clap::)
  • DS114969 wrote:

We are die hard fans, but PJ will not drive 800 miles between shows to play to 60% full arenas. It's just not good business sense.

Once again I feel the need to correct this statement. Houston and Dallas shows sell out every time they play here. They even sold out 2 Houston shows in 2000. These cities could both be doable since they already have a date in New Orleans. What arenas specifically, were only 60 % full, or are you just making that up?

I can understand why they would skip smaller markets like Oklahoma City, Little Rock, and Birmingham but we are not complaining because these cities are skipped, we are complaining because major metropolitan areas are. And again, which of these shows were only 60 % full?

DS114696;

I didn't realize I would be tested on my post, but yes, these numbers were made up. I am sure there are no tour stops that are exactly 800 miles apart either, but you failed to raise this in your response.

It's no secret that they do better in some markets as compared to others. Ticket sales, I am sure, are not as brisk in Florida as compared to New York (once again, I have no reference to this, but I could have a more formal report prepared for you if you like).

The point of my original post is that they can tour where they want, when they want. If they don't feel like touring Texas, they don't have to. You reference the two Houston shows. Those were 10 years ago. They are not as commercially viable as they were then, and may think that touring in that area may not yield an appropriate return on their investment. As much as we like to think that they are artists, they are also business men. Any cities are technically 'doable', but we shouldn't be surprised that they cherry pick their tour dates now, be it for family, health, or money reasons. And honestly, this is totally speculative, but I think Mike's health is another huge reason for the sporadic touring as of late.

By the way; why do you feel the need to correct my original statement?

Thanks,
    Donovan
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    We may never know the reason behind the lack of touring. All of the guesses really have no merit.

The band members are their own bosses, so they can choose how often they want to tour. They are most likely aware of the "inconveniences" they cause some of the fans, but you can't always please everybody.

A band of PJ's status has powerful managers and agents working for them, so it isn't as if they are ignorant to the workings of the music/touring industry. If the band chooses to do things their way, I can assure you that they are aware of the possible repercussions.
  • Notice how they announce European dates looooooong before US dates. Two main reasons: American crowds, by comparison, suck to those in Europe. Second, American fans are so selfish to actually assume that the band should tour to accomodate the fans' schedules. They have families, lots of money, and they enjoy having a lot of free time. Get over it. This is sad.