the new tour?

Comments

• FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856

Dave Matthews plays 100 or so shows a year....

Yep, exactly. Don't bother pulling other band's tour dates to compare because it would be no comparison.

I can't believe that was all they bothered doing for Backspacer.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • The waitresses at the IHOP....

Will work harder today.....

Than Pearl Jam has worked in the last 3 years....Combined.....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Last show in Philly was my first time to witness up close what the guys put into a show. My God they give it everything body and soul. All of them amazing. Multiply that by day after day show after show it would be exhausting. I for one want them to take care of themselves- not push- enjoy us and their lives and each other.
    Its whatever balance they come up with that works for them. We are the fans along for the ride and what a ride its been.
  • KingJeremyDKingJeremyD Posts: 2,313
    We can debate how much time the band members spend with their families for on and on..But, I am pretty sure they spend more time with their families probably 75% of their fans get to..
  • sagapo1sagapo1 Posts: 186
    First of all, the tour is not the only time they put in:

Ed's solo shows took time.
    Recording, mixing Backspacer took time.
    Rehearsal of a catalog of over 100 original songs to prepare for a tour takes time.
    The business aspects take time.
    Surfing takes time.
    And ultimatley, getting inspiration for creating new music takes time.

Who the hell knows how much time the guys have left over for their families.
    Think about it, they are probably a lot busier thatn you realize! :roll:

You seem like the only one here with some sense.
    I'm glad these people aren't my parents. :twisted:
    "Cynics are simply disappointed idealists" - George Carlin
    Everybody winds up kissing the wrong person goodnight. - Andy Warhol

• KingJeremyDKingJeremyD Posts: 2,313
    pandora wrote:
    Last show in Philly was my first time to witness up close what the guys put into a show. My God they give it everything body and soul. All of them amazing. Multiply that by day after day show after show it would be exhausting. I for one want them to take care of themselves- not push- enjoy us and their lives and each other.
    Its whatever balance they come up with that works for them. We are the fans along for the ride and what a ride its been.

I agree with that..But,concerts last 2.5 hours on average...I would be willing to take off a month of work...Let one of the band members do my job..See how that works out for them...I take my month off to spend time with my family...Don't get me wrong..Pearl Jam has earned everything they got and work hard for it...

Jeremy
  • pandora wrote:

I agree with that..But,concerts last 2.5 hours on average...I would be willing to take off a month of work...Let one of the band members do my job..See how that works out for them...I take my month off to spend time with my family...Don't get me wrong..Pearl Jam has earned everything they got and work hard for it...

Jeremy

Maybe you could sign up for CBS's show Undercover Boss?
    2006: Albany
    2008: MSG I, MSG II, Newark(EV)
    2009: Albany 1-2(EV), Philly 3
    2010: Boston, MSG I
    2013: Buffalo, Brooklyn II, Hartford
    2016: MSG 1, MSG II, Fenway 1
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684

Rehearsal of a catalog of over 100 original songs to prepare for a tour takes time.
    Surfing takes time.

I agree with the other projects band members have going on..But, rehearsal and recording..This isn't a job they don't for eight hours a day..They pick and chose when to do this and for how long..

Surfing isn't a excuse...That is a vacation and I am sure their families are with them..

Business aspect..I am sure they pay some to do all this for them...Paid well..

Family excuse is bogus excuse...Unless they tour pretty much all year around like U2 or DMB does.

I agree with you Crazy4Cords.

Also, Ed has said they don't spend much time rehearsing. Trying to use surfing and inspiration as an excuse is just laughable. Why can't we just admit that the band doesnt want to tour as much as they used to and not make up excuses (i.e. they want to be with their family). Who cares why they don't want to it's just obvious that they don't.

For all we know, it could just be one member of the band that wants the scaled back tours.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
    Flagg wrote:
    2003 Riot Act
    73 Total
    58 in North America
    10 in Australia
    5 in Japan

2004 VFC
    10 shows? Including Boston?

35 Total
    26 in North America
    9 in South America

73 Total
    38 in North America - However, 7 of these were as the opening band for Petty and/or U2. Also, most shows were muti-night stops in a very limited number of cities.
    23 in Europe
    12 in Australia

14 Total
    2 in North America
    12 in Europe

13 Total – all in North America

43 Total
    20 in North America (almost all repeats in very limited locations and some before Backspacer)
    16 in Europe (before Backspacer)
    7 in Australia/NZ

Thanks for the stats. I wonder if most of us complaining live in areas that have not seen Pearl Jam since 2003. If they skip the South again this year, Europe will have seen Pearl Jam 4 times since places like Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston have seen a proper PJ show. While I'm very happy for our European and NE friends, it would be nice to get a bone once and a while. 3 dates could have been added in 06 (1 TX, 1 ATL, and another Southern date) and many of us would not be complaining as much.

I am happy we got ACL last year, but some PJ only shows in some of the country's biggest cities isn't too much to ask for is it?
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
    Well I think the guys really like Europe and their fans there as much as the states. The world- its like one big home to them, being loved and appreciated all over.
    As far as the South- we did get dates- Columbia was awesome and there were FL dates Bonnaroo and VA.
    This year they will do the Jazzfest.
    I think they spread the love pretty well and we just need to save our money and travel to the closest city if they don't play our hometowns.
    pandora wrote:
    Well I think the guys really like Europe and their fans there as much as the states. The world- its like one big home to them, being loved and appreciated all over.
    As far as the South- we did get dates- Columbia was awesome and there were FL dates Bonnaroo and VA.
    I think they spread the love pretty well and we just need to save our money and travel to the closest city if they don't play our hometowns.

Tampa and Columbia are 1000 miles or more from Texas and even Bonnaroo is over 700 miles. I don't consider that spreading the love pretty well. So while some cities did get dates in 2008, I don't think Flagg, MFC, RedMosquito and I can say "we did get dates." I'm at least fortunate that I've had the opportunity to travel to see the band, but I know many others don't have that chance.
    DS114969 wrote:
    pandora wrote:

Tampa and Columbia are 1000 miles or more from Texas and even Bonnaroo is over 700 miles. I don't consider that spreading the love pretty well. So while some cities did get dates in 2008, I don't think Flagg, MFC, RedMosquito and I can say "we did get dates." I'm at least fortunate that I've had the opportunity to travel to see the band, but I know many others don't have that chance.
    But then you got ACL which is awesome the next year- theres your love! I've wondered watching the taping over and over if any of the fans there in the audience are peeps on this board- or is it a secret ;) Its a favorite of mine to watch
  • Dave Matthews plays 100 or so shows a year....

I'M SO GLAD YOU BROUGHT UP DMB.You beat me to it. That band alone shows the hypocrisy of this board. People bitch that the band is now all about money. Yet they don't tour enough. It is a well-known fact that most musical artists these days have to tour to make ANY money at all.

If PJ came to your city once a year you'd get complacent about them. It wouldn't be as special.

Besides their "duties" in Pearl Jam, you guys think they have nothing else going on in their lives as well???
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • CobCob Posts: 857
    I have said before, I just don't "get" how they tour anymore and I'm not about to try and figure it out, it's just STUPID to try and blame this on Soundgarden getting back together for a tour.

The fact of the matter is that Backspacer came out in September, 5 months ago, they have had PLENTY of time to tour since that time, why the chose not to is their own choice, I live in Texas and got to see them at ACL and I went to Seattle for both shows. This isn't the first time I have had to travel FAR distances to see a band I like, I saw Grateful Dead about 169 times and slept in my bed twice.

At least with Grateful Dead and even Phish, they tend to play the same places at the same times of the year so you have general idea of where they are going to play even if they haven't announced any tour dates yet. I have learned to live with the fact that they just don't come to play in my part of the country, I saw them play with RHCP back in the day in Houston, as recent as 2000 and 2003 they played in Texas, 2000saw both shows in Houston, the venue was to capacity both nights, went to Dallas and San Antonio in 2003, same thing, no empty seats.

I am lucky to live in Austin as we get a lot of shows here and I get to see tons of music all the time and whenever PJ tours the US I try to make at least one trip a year to see them, but even if they played in Texas every tour, I would still travel somewhere once a year or tour to see them.
    [img][/img]9/5/92, 11/20/93, 3/14,15/94, 9/16/95, 10/14,15/2000
    4/5,6/9/2003, 9/1/05, 12/7/2005, 7/15,16,18/2006, 8/5/2007
    6/24,25/08,6/27/08,6/28/08,6/30/08
    9/21,22/2009, 10/4/2009
    5/6,7,9/2010, 9/3/2011 9/4/2011, 11/15/2013,
    11/16/2013, 12/8/2013, 10/5/2014, 10/12/2014,
    4/23, 5/10, 5/12, 8/20, 8/22 2016,
    8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20 2018, 5/12, 5/13, 9/20 2022

• I just think it's funny that anyone in the US or the Canadian "big three" complain about how little PJ tour. They've been to my neck of the woods TWICE in their existence. TWICE. And you don't hear ME complaining! :lol:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • DeadmanDeadman Posts: 792
    I just think it's funny that anyone in the US or the Canadian "big three" complain about how little PJ tour. They've been to my neck of the woods TWICE in their existence. TWICE. And you don't hear ME complaining! :lol:

yeah... too many just feel like they are owed something for some reason.
  • DS114969 wrote:

Surfing takes time.

I agree with the other projects band members have going on..But, rehearsal and recording..This isn't a job they don't for eight hours a day..They pick and chose when to do this and for how long..

Surfing isn't a excuse...That is a vacation and I am sure their families are with them..

Business aspect..I am sure they pay some to do all this for them...Paid well..

Family excuse is bogus excuse...Unless they tour pretty much all year around like U2 or DMB does.

I agree with you Crazy4Cords.

Also, Ed has said they don't spend much time rehearsing. Trying to use surfing and inspiration as an excuse is just laughable. Why can't we just admit that the band doesnt want to tour as much as they used to and not make up excuses (i.e. they want to be with their family). Who cares why they don't want to it's just obvious that they don't.

For all we know, it could just be one member of the band that wants the scaled back tours.

Yeah, the surfing thing was a joke, i should've used a smiley :lol:
    but even with a ll the money they have, i'm pretty sure they spend a lot of time on the business too. They always prided themselves on doing things their way.
    And i would take what Ed said about rehearsing with a grain of salt -- they are awesome musicians, but they need practice. You think it's easy to coordinate 6 guys on a song? Trust me, i'd be willing to bet they rehearse a lot.
    I wouldnt call this making up excuses either. It's just stuff that seems like everyone is overlooking. And all we tend to think about around here is how badly we want to see them or get new music. We're selfish. They might very well see their families much more than the average fan sees their own families, but they earned it. And if Ed wants to surf for a month, then so be it, it's non of our damn business.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • i'm so sick of this "family" excuse! like they are the first fucking band to ever have kids!! give me a fucking break!!

it because of this Soundgarden bullshit!...someone should make Chris C. some cement shoes!....designer cement shoes that is! :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted:
    this is some good s#$t
    Verizon Center-Washington, DC--May 30, 2006
    Verizon Center-Washington, DC--June 22, 2008
    Lyric Opera House-Baltimore, MD--June 14, 2009(Eddie Vedder Solo)
    Wachovia Spectrum-Philadelphia, PA--Oct 31, 2009

I Only Own My Mind...
  • if I was in their position I'd do exactly the same thing. Family is #1. Fans of my band: probably about #76 or so.
    really?? we are there bread and butter

I Only Own My Mind...
  • Flagg wrote:
    2003 Riot Act
    73 Total
    58 in North America
    10 in Australia
    5 in Japan

2004 VFC

35 Total
    26 in North America
    9 in South America

73 Total
    38 in North America - However, 7 of these were as the opening band for Petty and/or U2. Also, most shows were muti-night stops in a very limited number of cities.
    23 in Europe
    12 in Australia

14 Total
    2 in North America
    12 in Europe

43 Total
    20 in North America (almost all repeats in very limited locations and some before Backspacer)
    7 in Australia/NZ
    Dave Matthews plays 100 or so shows a year....

yeah but....Dave Matthews sucks!! ;):mrgreen:
    just dave though, not the band

I Only Own My Mind...
  • Flagg wrote:
    2003 Riot Act
    73 Total
    58 in North America
    10 in Australia
    5 in Japan

2004 VFC

35 Total
    26 in North America
    9 in South America

73 Total
    23 in Europe
    12 in Australia

14 Total
    2 in North America
    12 in Europe

43 Total
    7 in Australia/NZ

Less then that. They only played 5 shows in Europe, not 16 in 2009.
    107 Shows and counting
  • G-forceG-force Posts: 218
    I agree that their recent shows and the planned '10 tour stops are proving to be a challenge to get to. I've seen the band roughly 20 times in far off places however the timing and locations this time around are difficult. An example is the fact many of the Europe dates are clustered around the American holiday of July 4 when many are at the beach or camping, BBQing.. etc.... i'm not complaining as no one will sympathize but it does make it difficult. We have been spoiled on the east coast..
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856

Less then that. They only played 5 shows in Europe, not 16 in 2009.

Yeah, thanks. Think I was looking at the wrong number.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • if I was in their position I'd do exactly the same thing. Family is #1. Fans of my band: probably about #76 or so.

and unfortunately, that's exactly the same attitude that many here have. they don't work for us. they work for themselves. there's a monumental difference.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014

that's also kinda like going up to a cop and saying "my taxes pay your salary!" and trying to tell him how to do his job. see how far that gets you.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • JL19851JL19851 Posts: 209
    Granted that I've seen them plenty of times, but I have no complaints about the band at this point in their career.

I think it is perfectly acceptable for them to do whatever it is that they want with their time, given that they've earned a lot of money over the years. If they want to tour less, even if it is for family reasons, so be it. That's their choice. I never read an interview where they said they would like to tour more, but they are hamstrung by their families. They said they wanted to spend more time with them. If by more they mean a lot more than the average joe, then they've earned that right, and more power to them for enjoying their families. That's not bogus at all.

In any event, call me the rare soul, but after 20 years, I am just thankful for anything they produce now. Whether its tour, bootlegs, DVDs, whatever...we're entitled to none of it, yet they provide us with all of it, albeit on their terms and not ours, which was what their stated goal has been for many years, to do their business on their terms. If you don't like those terms, you are in no way obligated to abide by them, as you can choose not to do business with them. Comparing them to other bands is patently unfair because Pearl Jam never promised to be like other bands and has never been like other bands. For that as well, I am thankful.
  • Hey I'm just happy not to be waiting on a re union show, I am pro union. :!:
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    Deadman wrote:
    simple... family
    Bingo.

They are getting a little older.

So are we. Remember that huge 2000 tour? a Europe Leg, and 2 huge 30 show legs in N.A.? That was 10 years ago. :o:o:o

And it was the last time they came to my state. :(
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,260
    They do it this way because they have all control of how/when to or not to tour or promote new music :) and they got to this point because of the way they shaped their careers , more power to them shit we sit here wanting more & more shows i just saw them 3months back it's really not that long ago :)
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • JL19851 wrote:
    Granted that I've seen them plenty of times, but I have no complaints about the band at this point in their career.

I think it is perfectly acceptable for them to do whatever it is that they want with their time, given that they've earned a lot of money over the years. If they want to tour less, even if it is for family reasons, so be it. That's their choice. I never read an interview where they said they would like to tour more, but they are hamstrung by their families. They said they wanted to spend more time with them. If by more they mean a lot more than the average joe, then they've earned that right, and more power to them for enjoying their families. That's not bogus at all.

In any event, call me the rare soul, but after 20 years, I am just thankful for anything they produce now. Whether its tour, bootlegs, DVDs, whatever...we're entitled to none of it, yet they provide us with all of it, albeit on their terms and not ours, which was what their stated goal has been for many years, to do their business on their terms. If you don't like those terms, you are in no way obligated to abide by them, as you can choose not to do business with them. Comparing them to other bands is patently unfair because Pearl Jam never promised to be like other bands and has never been like other bands. For that as well, I am thankful.

Well said.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)