WOW those were the days TICKETS

13»

Comments

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,260
    I remember paying 20$ for an ounce of weed in 1977 damm those were the yrs ..... :lol:
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    I remember paying 20$ for an ounce of weed in 1977 damm those were the yrs ..... :lol:

A bit ironic that you can remember such a thing!
  • :lol:
    8-)
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• MORE whining from The whiners

Look if you think its too much DONT PAY
    Stop the bloody whinging
    christ you people have to pay $160 USD for a pair
    well I bloody paid $240 for sydney last november AND EVERY LAST CENT WAS WORTH it
    back in 95 I paid a hell of a lot less but back then I also got paid a hell of a lot less

go compare em to Green day or radiohead. both shows I have seen BUT PJ KICKS EITHERS ARSE LIVE
    if their value for money spend your coin there

Im so over you americans bitching about everything. Not enough shows , not enough boots, not enough half strength donky piss american beer
    here in OZ we apreciate/ anticipate a show usually every 3 years. and they are heaps more expensive, those who dont want to wait have to spend twice as much to travel to europe etc. But we pay happily

NO wonder the world is sick and tired of american whining
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE
  • yup whatever the price, keep buying tickets.
    'oh $800 for one ticket, ok i'll buy that'

• lockedlocked Posts: 4,038

NO wonder the world is sick and tired of american whining

yeah, they responded better to Obama's "Apology Tour"..

what a proud moment for us yanks...!

:roll:
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    CJMST3K wrote:
    It would be interesting to see the breakdown now on a ticket.

There was a Rolling Stone article a few months ago that showed a breakdown of a typical arena rock show. I think it was Green Day. Those promoters, venues, etc definitely get a SHITLOAD of the money from each ticket sold. But Green Day has a lot more production put into their shows (I think...never actually seen them), and their ticket was a lot cheaper than any Pearl Jam tickets the past couple years...

regarding that article...i just looked it up and it did a pretty nice break down. ticketmaster makes a fucking $4.10 profit off of a $60 ticket. $4.10! and that's just off of a $60 ticket...big name concerts these days are well over $60.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,563
    CJMST3K wrote:
    It would be interesting to see the breakdown now on a ticket.

There was a Rolling Stone article a few months ago that showed a breakdown of a typical arena rock show. I think it was Green Day. Those promoters, venues, etc definitely get a SHITLOAD of the money from each ticket sold. But Green Day has a lot more production put into their shows (I think...never actually seen them), and their ticket was a lot cheaper than any Pearl Jam tickets the past couple years...

regarding that article...i just looked it up and it did a pretty nice break down. ticketmaster makes a fucking $4.10 profit off of a $60 ticket. $4.10! and that's just off of a $60 ticket...big name concerts these days are well over $60.

Including Pearl Jam. It's ridiculous how much they charge now. I went through my purchases and the first shows in 2000 (online) were $77 for two. Now they are near $200+! Ridiculous
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • choopchoop Posts: 1,060
    if being their own record company is a cause of high ticket prices, why was the face value for some of the vedder solo shows more that some of the pj shows? into the wild wasn't self released.

also, phish is their own record company, and their shows were $50 last year. and every member of the band brings their family along and they each have their own bus. so i really don't buy that as a valid argument.

and for the record, i'm fine with the higher prices, because i make more money now than i did ten years ago. i went to college, work a much better job. everyone wants a raise each year, a band is no different.

also, sligtly off topic, but tiered pricing isn't always bad. neil young in 08, it was $75 for GA floor and the $100 for the lower level seats, so tiered pricing can work were the lower cost can be the better seat. especially for pearl jam. when they play ampitheaters in the summer, people in the lawn shouldn't have to pay as much as in the pavilion - that's just crazy at $75. i knew a lot of people who wouldn't go because they are used to paying lower prices for lawn seats. not to mention the majority of the pavilion are on lock down to the ten club.
    "If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music." KV Jr.
  • I paid $18 bucks to see my first Pearl Jam show in September of 1996. The ticket was awesome. Two faces on an old style map. Awesome. Now all we get is that stupid generic Live Nation ticket.
    I still have that ticket. Mine cost $24 in Florida.
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
  • has this already been talked about?............

why not
    cut out 3rd party sellers.
    in this day of internet can't the venue sell directly to consumers?

oh wait. i think i remember that article saying tm pays the venue up front. that's one reason venues will go with tm every time.

blah. :(

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,961

ah yes....the ol' "four finger lid" :thumbup:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Radiohead and Green Day also fucking tour. And tour. And tour some more. Sorry, not buying the 'our own record company' argument.

As the Hoff pointed out, so is Radiohead, but they aren't too busy with record company shit to tour.

Want another example? Black Crowes. They are basically their own record company too. Ticket prices are lower and they do 10 times the tour dates.

Charge $75 per ticket. $90 even. Whatever. I never complain about the ticket prices. It would actually be nice to be able to buy a ticket if they, oh I don't know, played more than 15 shows a year.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • KingJeremyDKingJeremyD Posts: 2,313
    G-R-E-E-D

Who sings that green disease?...

It looks like to me pearl jam will be just strictly a festival touring band before it is all said and done...If this happens?...Will be no use for a fan club...

Jeremy
  • I suppose I could go on to a mortgage board (if there is such a thing) and read the same arguements about the price of a home. Or a deli sandwhich, for that matter. It's all relative right? Some just can't keep up with the increasing rate of inflation and technology and that's to be expected. There is a statement some where in hear about the decline of the middle class, but I won't go there.

The music industry has had so many collosal shifts in the previous 2 decades that the artists are constantly having to change what they do to keep up, while maintaining a reasonable income. Sometimes it's not always done right the first time (see PJ versus Ticketmaster). Music is a monster infiltrated by managers, web, magazines, ticket services, promoters, festivals, etc. and the artists are left to fend for themselves. In the end they're the puppets. I mean come on, we're all fans of Pearl Jam, we hear this stuff at shows and in the newsletter, etc. This is not a new debate.

I guess my point is to keep up or let it go. Just like politics, if you get too deep you'll only drive yourself crazy. Or fly your plane in to an IRS building. Big business has destroyed a lot of fun. Don't let it destroy your music.
  • IsaacIsaac Posts: 137
    Memories...
    I love looking back at my old tickets from the 90's and mix tapes w/pieced together photos of the band. Ah, the nostalgia.

Business...
    Most of us have no idea how business works for a large rock band owning their own label, right? Or at the very least most of us have no experience working for a large rock band. After browsing through this thread I do know there are tons of variables we aren't even broaching. The opening band, staff, road crew...

Call me crazy but I don't mind paying money for good things. If their shows sucked I wouldn' t pay.
    To be honest I hope the members of PJ and the crew/techs (George Webb or whoever) are making money off the tour. They are damn good at what they do.

p.s. I wonder what Crosby, Stills & Nash fans think about the ticket price difference from the 1970's compared to the 2010's...
  • Isaac wrote:
    p.s. I wonder what Crosby, Stills & Nash fans think about the ticket price difference from the 1970's compared to the 2010's...

omg csny went waaaay overboard...$225 a ticket on their last tour :shock: :evil:

it made me less of a fan than i was. no lying there. same as u2 and the stones.

i hope it never gets to the point where this band, a band that i have defended for over 15years now, get to that point. there is a line in the sand for me. some people will always pay what ever they charge, but to me $500 for a pair of tickets is greed. big time.

having said that...today's pj ticket price isn't that great, but it certainly isn't as bad as it could be. :)
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    Isaac wrote:
    I have a ticket stub from the 1975 Led Zeppelin gig at the Forum in Los Angeles... $6.50.
    Then again... gas was .69 cents a gallon and i was making about $2.50 and hour.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Isaac wrote:

omg csny went waaaay overboard...$225 a ticket on their last tour :shock: :evil:

it made me less of a fan than i was. no lying there. same as u2 and the stones.

they are pushing. always pushing to see what people are willing to pay. people love music so there's a close connection. people will pay more for something they feel personally attached to. the biz knows this. prices will go higher and higher because face it people get kinda crazy over live music.

So quit buying high price tickets so I can pay a reasonable price and actually go see Clapton & Beck when they tour!
    Hehehehe ;):lol::mrgreen:

Cosmo wrote:
    I have a ticket stub from the 1975 Led Zeppelin gig at the Forum in Los Angeles... $6.50.
    Then again... gas was .69 cents a gallon and i was making about $2.50 and hour.

so that's three hours of work for one ticket.
    tickets are around $80 now. with min wage how many hours is that?
    see my point?