Close Shaves

Comments

• g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    I wasn't going to post this but what the hell. I don't know if mine is the scariest but I KNOW it's the most recent. About an hour and a half ago I decided to go up on the roof to clear melting snow blocking my gutters. I chose the back roof only because I have a large shed (small house :) ) it's almost connected to the house and easier to get to my gutters. I'm shoveling wet snow at least 2 and half feet on a downward angle brutal on the back.. I was being very careful even accessed if I fell where would be best too fall. Standing on the crest of the shed you guessed it I slip land sideways and rolled/tumbled off the roof landing on my shoulder and side.

Luckily I had built up a nice pile on the ground plus 2-3 feet of snow that was already there. I'm unhurt, wet, cold but a bit shaken up. If I had fallen off of the house I'm sure I wouldn't be here typing. Also I told a friend on here pray for me I'm going up on the roof to shovel snow, she must have. :D I hope she did or it must have been my lucky Red Sox knit hat/cap.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    when i was 12 a dog jumped off the roof of my building (13 stories) and it landed 3 ft. from me

if it hits me i would have been dead on contact as it was a big dog :o
    THat's crazy - Why would a Dog try to commit suicide? Must have been a snausage addiction.

well they said it jumped but it might have been tossed off

crazy people

we were playing football so nobody saw it coming

it sounded like a bomb went off

needless to say the dog wasn't looking to good afterwards
    My friend's dog jumped off a roof....he thought the parapet was just another fence to jump over. Big fuckin surprise on the other side! (he was ok or I wouldn't joke about it).

I was on a construction site once....40 story high rise....I had to climb a step ladder to have a look at the roof of the mechanical penthouse....the ladder was about six feet from the edge of the lower roof (40th floor).
    I stepped down from the second rung of the ladder to the roof below...but my pants weren't loose enough to allow the leg still on the rung to bend all the way (hard to describe)...anyway...it sent me off balance, stumbling backwards...I took two stagger-steps before regaining my balance right at the edge of the building. My stomach still turns thinking about it.

Another time, working in a sheet metal shop...a friend of mine was throwing sheet metal 'slugs' or cutoffs like they were throwing stars, into this rigid insulation that was piled nearby...I was yapping on the phone with my gf nearby....he lost control of one, and it stuck into the insulation about six inches from my face. wasn't happy with him.

...and...a million drinking stories from my youth. I can't believe I'm still alive, really. horseshoes!
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    g under p wrote:
    I wasn't going to post this but what the hell. I don't know if mine is the scariest but I KNOW it's the most recent. About an hour and a half ago I decided to go up on the roof to clear melting snow blocking my gutters. I chose the back roof only because I have a large shed (small house :) ) it's almost connected to the house and easier to get to my gutters. I'm shoveling wet snow at least 2 and half feet on a downward angle brutal on the back.. I was being very careful even accessed if I fell where would be best too fall. Standing on the crest of the shed you guessed it I slip land sideways and rolled/tumbled off the roof landing on my shoulder and side.

Luckily I had built up a nice pile on the ground plus 2-3 feet of snow that was already there. I'm unhurt, wet, cold but a bit shaken up. If I had fallen off of the house I'm sure I wouldn't be here typing. Also I told a friend on here pray for me I'm going up on the roof to shovel snow, she must have. :D I hope she did or it must have been my lucky Red Sox knit hat/cap.

Peace

Ahhh, shoveling snow covered roofs. Good times. As kids we'd try to lure unsuspecting bastards beneath a huge overhang of snow off the roof and then get it to collapse on them. We may have almost killed someone doing that...

Realy, like Drowned Out, I should be dead a hundred times over.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    eyedclaar wrote:
    This one time I very nearly escaped the fuzz in a high-speed chase. Sadly, I didn't realize I was actually racing the cops as they were in an unmarked car and out of their jurisdiction. Instead they got on the radio and waiting across the next county line was a half a dozen cop cars forming a road block. Still, I almost escaped.

I like these stories of yours. :P

Sounds like you've had some fun times.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    eyedclaar wrote:
    This one time I very nearly escaped the fuzz in a high-speed chase. Sadly, I didn't realize I was actually racing the cops as they were in an unmarked car and out of their jurisdiction. Instead they got on the radio and waiting across the next county line was a half a dozen cop cars forming a road block. Still, I almost escaped.

i used to do that stuff all the time myself with motocross bikes and other motorcycles, zoom zoom.

one night i was riding home on my dirt bike when a cop came up behind me.
    i had zero head light, no tail light, and probably no brakes.
    it was on.
    zing zing zing .. hittin gears like a madman...braaakkiiinnnggggg...down shifting hard and fast...
    screaming thru alleyways and jumping intersection all while doing wheelies and shit...
    60-80mph thru alleys... later mr. policeman im outta here.................... zing zing zing

if a car would have been coming at any intersection....ouch and stupid

funny thing is i've done that kinda shit a lot :mrgreen:
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    I was running an errand in NJ for Bob Dylan's people for a gig at NJPAC. I used to live on Long Island, so I don't know NJ well, let alone Newark. So I find myself on this perfectly straight road with 1 lane in each direction - and it's like 1 mile perfectly straight, with a wide shoulder on either side. I pull off the side of this mostly deserted road to look at a map. A minute later someone pulls right behind me. Odd, but whatever.... After looking at the map, I look out my window so I can pull back onto this roadway... but the car behind me is completely blocking everything directly behind me. Seeing me looking thru my back window, and I assume they understand I can't see (since they pulled oddly right behind me on a deserted road) they waive to me onto the road from inside their car. I pull onto the road, and see a car barreling down the road towards me. Things happened fast - like within 5 seconds. It was too quick for me to go in reverse, and if I floored it I wouldn't have gotten up enough speed. So I stayed in the lane figuring the person would go in the empty on-coming traffic lane to avoid an accident. Well, nope. Smashed right into me wrecking the car. A few feet over and I would have been "knocking on heaven's door". ...and like 30 seconds after the crash, the car that waived me in sped off.

What did I learn? Don't trust people who pull behind you on a deserted road and give you hand gestures to get onto a road.

6a00c2252293c4604a011017c586ad860e-500pi

"But the shopowner and his son... that's a different story altogether. I had to beat them to death with their own shoes. Nasty business really, but we got the M&M's and Ozzy went on stage and did a great show! "
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    last saturday i was driving along the expressway at around 110kmph and went to overtake. as i moved into the right lane i looked over to my left and some fucking idiot decided theyd move into the lane i was leaving. had i not been overtaking and moving out of my lane this knobhead wouldve wiped us out. which really wouldve pissed us off cause we were on our way to a music festival.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Driving on 95 just south of DC I was driving 80mph in the middle lane. About 50' ahead I see a utility box truck from the left merge into the middle, and at that same moment an old Honda Civic merge from the right into the middle. They bumped off of each other then bounced a bit back to their original lanes and the civic went immediately to the shoulder. Glad that didn't end up worse.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    CJMST3K wrote:
    Driving on 95 just south of DC I was driving 80mph in the middle lane. About 50' ahead I see a utility box truck from the left merge into the middle, and at that same moment an old Honda Civic merge from the right into the middle. They bumped off of each other then bounced a bit back to their original lanes and the civic went immediately to the shoulder. Glad that didn't end up worse.

makes you wonder if people even bother looking before they decide to change lanes.

a couple of weeks ago within the space of 2 blocks i had one car make a right turn(illegally) in front of me and another decide to do a u turn in front of me when there was absolutely no one behind me for the 2 blocks id just driven.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    ...a little off topic but...

Last time I was back in NY to see the PJ shows, I came to a major intersection where the light was out. 2 cops were standing in the intersection directing traffic.... one was looking at me holding up his hands for me to stop, and the other was looking at me waving me thru. I slowly creeped thru the intersection.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    when i was 12 a dog jumped off the roof of my building (13 stories) and it landed 3 ft. from me

THat's crazy - Why would a Dog try to commit suicide? Must have been a snausage addiction.

crazy people

Talk about a buzz kill. I think that would've ruined the rest of my week...

if indeed the dog was tossed, I hope one day that persons nuts end up in a vice! And if it was a female....well, I don't know.....but that's fucked.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    When i was really really drunk once I bid £1.79 on a Simply Red ticket on Ebay... thankfully I missed out.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    dunkman wrote:
    My mum was heavily pregnant and she and my dad decided to drive over the border from Scotland to the English city of Carlisle to look at baby furniture or something... I was born the next day in Scotland... how tragic it would have been if they had went that one day later!

Cheeky bugger - there's no shame in being Cumbrian!! :x
    Claireack wrote:
    dunkman wrote:
    My mum was heavily pregnant and she and my dad decided to drive over the border from Scotland to the English city of Carlisle to look at baby furniture or something... I was born the next day in Scotland... how tragic it would have been if they had went that one day later!

you're right... shit accent though ;)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    dunkman wrote:
    When i was really really drunk once I bid £1.79 on a Simply Red ticket on Ebay... thankfully I missed out.

Shit, you can buy a pint up North for £1.79! :roll:
    Byrnzie wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

Shit, you can buy a pint up North for £1.79! :roll:

The pub around corner from my work... its a Weatherspoons right enough.. does a pint of Abbotts Ale for £1.29!!!

I'm going tonight with freaks from work. 8-)
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    Once I was sitting on the floor of the bath shaving my leg and I was leaning over a bit doing my knee but somehow leaned over too far and sliced my right nipple with the razor! I had two little cuts about 2 millimetres long and FUCK IT HURT!!! :shock: :shock: Soooo fucking much. Right on the tip! It stung for days. Bled heaps too! That's as close to shaving my nipples as I ever want to get! :?

YYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW ZIGGY!!!

That would sooooooooo farken hurt...now I can't let go of my boobs..... :shock:
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    dunkman wrote:
    Claireack wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

you're right... shit accent though ;)

:lol:
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    dcfaithful wrote:

crazy people

Talk about a buzz kill. I think that would've ruined the rest of my week...

if indeed the dog was tossed, I hope one day that persons nuts end up in a vice! And if it was a female....well, I don't know.....but that's fucked.

it will forever be etched in my mind :cry:

we never got the truth
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • JoJo Posts: 2,098
    Yep, I just had a close Shave......It took me 5 hours until I could get back on these PJ Forums....
    I'm not shitting you........I kept getting messages saying the LINK was broke.....I tried everything to get back on here......WHY? is this a close shave? far out man.....I nearly lost the plot...... :shock:
    Once I was managing an event in NJ (bad things always happen to me in Jersey) and I'm standing on the stage behind some curtains, and one of those super-heavy sandbags which help balance the weight of a curtain slammed on the floor right next to me, just missing me. I suppose the rope or whatever broke, and It probably fell from 30' high. Would have been a gonner if that hit me.
    Thats nothin. I nearly got baned from these forums. :shock:
    Jo wrote:

...I got banned for a year and a half. For posting a link to google images of The Simpsons cartoons dawn naked.
    CJMST3K wrote:
    Jo wrote:

...I got banned for a year and a half. For posting a link to google images of The Simpsons cartoons dawn naked.

:shock: I'm in trouble.
  • I flipped a t-top camaro over in a ditch with no seatbelt on and basically had no injuries besides a minor cut on my knee and a sore ass head....one occasion when wearing a seat belt might actually have gotten the four of us in the car killed
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
    Thats nothin. You should try shaving your legs and slicing your nipple. :lol:
    MY worst close shave has to be in Casco Bay, Big Lake Sebago Maine. I was taking care of my client when his son asked me if I wanted to take his aluminum canoe out and i said yes. Well just in the inlet in front of the house. Now prior to this I had never really been in a canoe by myself so i was new at this. Well I took it out and on the way back as i turned around a strong wind came up and tipped over the canoe. in doing so the canoe's edge or something very hard hit me on my head to unconsciousness.

I can just remember faintly slowly sinking to the bottom of the lake, arms in the air and sunlight fading then blackness. Up on top my client's son was watching all this, dove in found me sinking and brought me to the surface. I performed brief CPR till I became conscious. The odd thing about that inlet he lost a nephew right there in the very same spot years earlier from drowning.

They are a very wealthy family and still donate to various charities I'm apart of today. Oh this was 20 years ago this summer if he wasn't there for me i would have to *cancel Christmas* like Richard Pryor would say.

peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,989
    I had a close call and am reminded of it every time I look above my home computer. There happens to be a very large moose head stuck to my wall directly above me. His nose is as large as my head and his antlers are 45" wide. I'de guess he was 1200 lbs. I hunted him with my bow originally, but could never get closer than about 40 yards.

fast forward a few weeks and now hunting with a rifle and my 8 year old son

... to save you the details... the bull charged me after hitting him once, and I shot him again at a distance of less than 20 yards while he was barrelling down on me. He dropped 12 yards from my feet. My son was watching it all from upon a hill about a 1/4 mile away.

We no longer hunt. My kids are vegetarian.

Another instance was when I worked in the gas industry. While working at an oil refinery in Casper, Wy during a cold snap that froze up the crack unit, a contract welder struck an arc near a heat exchanger that was opened for service. A huge fireball came out of the vessel and in the direction where I had been wrapping insulation around some piping. I took off running in the most open direction I could find and didnt stop for about 300 yards. When I did stop, I noticed the fireball wasnt as large as it once was and went back to help extinguish it. My boss laughed his ass off watching me sprint across the plant and later told me that you can tell the chicken shits that ran away because they are burned up from the ass up...
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
    I had a close call and am reminded of it every time I look above my home computer. There happens to be a very large moose head stuck to my wall directly above me. His nose is as large as my head and his antlers are 45" wide. I'de guess he was 1200 lbs. I hunted him with my bow originally, but could never get closer than about 40 yards.

fast forward a few weeks and now hunting with a rifle and my 8 year old son

... to save you the details... the bull charged me after hitting him once, and I shot him again at a distance of less than 20 yards while he was barrelling down on me. He dropped 12 yards from my feet. My son was watching it all from upon a hill about a 1/4 mile away.

We no longer hunt. My kids are vegetarian.

Man look what you created, you scared your kids straight, straight into vegetarianism. :mrgreen:

Peace

g under p wrote:
    MY worst close shave has to be in Casco Bay, Big Lake Sebago Maine. I was taking care of my client when his son asked me if I wanted to take his aluminum canoe out and i said yes. Well just in the inlet in front of the house. Now prior to this I had never really been in a canoe by myself so i was new at this. Well I took it out and on the way back as i turned around a strong wind came up and tipped over the canoe. in doing so the canoe's edge or something very hard hit me on my head to unconsciousness.

I can just remember faintly slowly sinking to the bottom of the lake, arms in the air and sunlight fading then blackness. Up on top my client's son was watching all this, dove in found me sinking and brought me to the surface. I performed brief CPR till I became conscious. The odd thing about that inlet he lost a nephew right there in the very same spot years earlier from drowning.

They are a very wealthy family and still donate to various charities I'm apart of today. Oh this was 20 years ago this summer if he wasn't there for me i would have to *cancel Christmas* like Richard Pryor would say.

peace

Holy shit. I think this one definitely makes the grade.