Close Shaves

ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
edited February 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
I had one today. I was walking down some icy steps on the side of a valley here in China after it snowed here last night and there was a sheer drop of about 40 ft onto some big rocks in the river. I slipped over and fell towards the edge. I thought for a second that I was going over the edge. I dropped my £1200 camera and it bounced down the steps - luckily it didn't go over the side. Anyway, I landed right on the edge and grazed my hand up. And to make it worse there was nobody else around, so I would have gotten no help.
I was fucking lucky. If I'd gone over I would have either been badly crippled or dead.

What are your stories?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    when i was 12 a dog jumped off the roof of my building (13 stories) and it landed 3 ft. from me

if it hits me i would have been dead on contact as it was a big dog :o
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • when i was 12 a dog jumped off the roof of my building (13 stories) and it landed 3 ft. from me

THat's crazy - Why would a Dog try to commit suicide? Must have been a snausage addiction.
    when i was 12 a dog jumped off the roof of my building (13 stories) and it landed 3 ft. from me

THat's crazy - Why would a Dog try to commit suicide? Must have been a snausage addiction.

well they said it jumped but it might have been tossed off

crazy people

we were playing football so nobody saw it coming

it sounded like a bomb went off

needless to say the dog wasn't looking to good afterwards
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Not so much of a close shave, well a bit I guess. Hubby and I were walking through a forest in Sri Lanka with a guide. I was 4 months pregnant and started to feel a bit off so said they should go on and I would walk back. Off they trotted, I promptly passed out and came to with nobody around, I couldn't get up initially so shouted for help - nobody came to my rescue :( . Panicked quite a bit, managed to get up and stagger off, crying. I wobbled over logs crossing little streams and felt completely alone in the world, about 15 minutes later, a large party of school children came skipping along the path. I wasn't alone at all and if I hadn't been alright someone would have been along pretty soon. But that initial feeling of panic was just horrible!!
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Wow—Crazy stories!!!

When I was about 20 my younger brother shot his shot gun into the hall I had just walked passed about 3 seconds before!! Pellets EVERYWHERE. Pooped my pants (almost)

Yeah—that gun safety class really helped!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    Byrnzie wrote:
    I had one today. I was walking down some icy steps on the side of a valley here in China after it snowed here last night and there was a sheer drop of about 40 ft onto some big rocks in the river. I slipped over and fell towards the edge. I thought for a second that I was going over the edge. I dropped my £1200 camera and it bounced down the steps - luckily it didn't go over the side. Anyway, I landed right on the edge and grazed my hand up. And to make it worse there was nobody else around, so I would have gotten no help.
    I was fucking lucky. If I'd gone over I would have either been badly crippled or dead.

What are your stories?

holy shit man
    that scared me reading that
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    i was 10 years old on vacation with my family in cabo...i was walking along the beach when the tide started rolling in and it hit me hard against my legs, knocked me down and pulling me out...if you've ever been caught by a riptide you know the feeling...it's like the water has grabbed you and is pulling you under water...well being 10, i didn't know shit about a riptide i just assumed it was a really strong wave

so i start swimming back to shore but i'm not getting closer...in fact i'm getting farther away...now my dad and brother are about 500 yards down the shore from where i am...i can see them and i see my dad start to walk toward me...now i'm swimming as hard as i can but i'm making no progress...and now i'm starting to be pulled underwater...so now i know i'm in trouble and i start yelling for my dad and brother all the time swimming as hard as i can...and there was point where i was starting to get tired and wasn't sure i could continue to fight the tide

at this point the tide eased up and i was able to swim out of it just as my dad arrived...the whole thing probably took all of 2 and a half minutes but it seemed like an eternity...when we told my mom she first expressed relief and then said "i came to mexico with 5 kids and i want to return with 5!" :oops: :D
    norm wrote:
    i was 10 years old on vacation with my family in cabo...i was walking along the beach when the tide started rolling in and it hit me hard against my legs, knocked me down and pulling me out...if you've ever been caught by a riptide you know the feeling...it's like the water has grabbed you and is pulling you under water...well being 10, i didn't know shit about a riptide i just assumed it was a really strong wave

so i start swimming back to shore but i'm not getting closer...in fact i'm getting farther away...now my dad and brother are about 500 yards down the shore from where i am...i can see them and i see my dad start to walk toward me...now i'm swimming as hard as i can but i'm making no progress...and now i'm starting to be pulled underwater...so now i know i'm in trouble and i start yelling for my dad and brother all the time swimming as hard as i can...and there was point where i was starting to get tired and wasn't sure i could continue to fight the tide

at this point the tide eased up and i was able to swim out of it just as my dad arrived...the whole thing probably took all of 2 and a half minutes but it seemed like an eternity...when we told my mom she first expressed relief and then said "i came to mexico with 5 kids and i want to return with 5!" :oops: :D

never turn your back on the ocean cut
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    this one time we hid all of our weed and alcohol before the cops showed up :mrgreen:
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    chadwick wrote:
    this one time we hid all of our weed and alcohol before the cops showed up :mrgreen:

I once talked to a cop who was actually looking for me at the time AND I was tweaked to the gills on mushrooms, I mean like my pupils had devoured the iris of my eyes. However, I think the last thing he expected was for his perp to walk up and engage him in conversation. I asked him how his night had been and then he asked me if I had seen anyone prowling around and I was like, “No Sir, but I will let you know if I do!”
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    I had a gun held to my head for about 5 minutes. the guy was out of his mind on something. I just said "ya know what, pull the trigger, do me a fucking favor." we were in the parking lot of a bar.

he then heard the cops coming down the street and told me that I was crazy and ran away.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    1. Cops told me they HAD been looking for me for an armed robbery 'cuz " I fit the description", but they found the right girl. LUCKILY!!

2. On Woodward Ave, a big highway here, a car turned left from the furthest right lane, right in front of me. I swerved and ended up in the divider all spun around and stuff. I have spun out several times throughout my years. All of them bad , but lucky.

3. A rooky cop held a gun at me while I was hiding behind a door in an abandon hotel in Fort Lauderdale. He was more afraid than me and didn't know what he was facing, thus trigger ready. I refused to move until he put gun down.

All many moons ago, thankfully, but then...

4. I had 14 minute timed seizure!! No breathing for several minutes. All blue and stuff. I then went catatonic for 5 minutes.
    Save room for dessert!
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    edited February 2010
    Post edited by jimed14 on
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    I use the Gillette Fusion. Five blades, plus one on the back. I find it gives me a real close shave.
  • aNiMaL wrote:
    I use the Gillette Fusion. Five blades, plus one on the back. I find it gives me a real close shave.

You beat me to it, I use that same blade.
    Best one ever.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    My mum was heavily pregnant and she and my dad decided to drive over the border from Scotland to the English city of Carlisle to look at baby furniture or something... I was born the next day in Scotland... how tragic it would have been if they had went that one day later!
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • I've had a few but one of the better ones was....two of us were up on a train trestle which one of the tracks had been removed. So there we are walking on the one track and about the middle is when a train started coming. 150 ft up is no option to jump. So we ran at the train and by the time we got to a spot we could jump I could see the conductor pulling the horn chain through the window of the train. I jumped into a pit about 20 ft down as that was where I had to exit the track before being creamed.

Stooooopid thing is the very next week a bunch of us went back to the ravine and some decided to go across the trestle again. I decided against that and sure enough a train caught the guys in the middle again. They didn't run they just climbed down the steel a wee bit and hung on as the train rolled over their heads. Then they made their way back up and continued across the bridge. I didn't have the hang in their option as I am terrified of heights.

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• I've had a few but they've all been my own fault! :roll:

I was once mountain biking with my Dad, we went to the top of the slag heap at our local quarry. few hundred feet drop either side, single track from top to bottom and a severe right hand turn at the end. If you didn't turn right, you went through the trees and ended up as strawberry jam at the bottom of the quarry. My Dad looked at me at the top of the slag heap and said:

"Get your arse over the seat and try not to die... you're mum'll kill me"

...and promptly rode off. I did as he said and turned right at the bottom, the back end of my bike slid out and scraped inches from the single line of trees on the edge of the cliff... I thought i'd lost it as I didn't seem to stop. Luckily I was just strong enough to pull it up and keep some sort of control. I survived and I was laughing manically by the time I reached my Dad, thanks to the adrenaline rush...

Needless to say, when the reality of what could've happened hit me, I didn't do it again.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    Once I was sitting on the floor of the bath shaving my leg and I was leaning over a bit doing my knee but somehow leaned over too far and sliced my right nipple with the razor! I had two little cuts about 2 millimetres long and FUCK IT HURT!!! :shock: :shock: Soooo fucking much. Right on the tip! It stung for days. Bled heaps too! That's as close to shaving my nipples as I ever want to get! :?
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    norm wrote:

Damn! One of my biggest gears is drowning. And I'm a bad swimmer.
    the wolf wrote:
    I had a gun held to my head for about 5 minutes. the guy was out of his mind on something. I just said "ya know what, pull the trigger, do me a fucking favor." we were in the parking lot of a bar.

he then heard the cops coming down the street and told me that I was crazy and ran away.

Charles Bukowski told a great story about a similar situation. It's on the Bukowski Tapes - a collection of video interviews by the director of Bar Fly. You should check it out. You'll relate to it.
    aNiMaL wrote:

I don't like Gillette. I'm a Wilkinson Sword man. Unfortunately you can only get Gillette's here in China.
    dunkman wrote:
    My mum was heavily pregnant and she and my dad decided to drive over the border from Scotland to the English city of Carlisle to look at baby furniture or something... I was born the next day in Scotland... how tragic it would have been if they had went that one day later!

:mrgreen:
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    Once I was sitting on the floor of the bath shaving my leg and I was leaning over a bit doing my knee but somehow leaned over too far and sliced my right nipple with the razor! I had two little cuts about 2 millimetres long and FUCK IT HURT!!! :shock: :shock: Soooo fucking much. Right on the tip! It stung for days. Bled heaps too! That's as close to shaving my nipples as I ever want to get! :?

I just caught myself saying 'Oh my God' out loud when I read that. :shock:
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    My whole getting run over by a car thing a few months ago was probably the closest shave I've had.
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
    chime wrote:
    My whole getting run over by a car thing a few months ago was probably the closest shave I've had.

I got hit by a car going about 50mph when I was 18. Luckily I was so drunk that I just bounced over the top of it. I didn't break any bones, just bruised my right leg and suffered a few cuts and grazes. If I hadn't been so drunk I'd have been killed. Then again, if I hadn't been so drunk I wouldn't have been dancing in the road at midnight. :oops:
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    I once set fire to a Calor Gas heater via the method of "dropping a rubber ball onto the flame" (don't ask me why? i was about 14 and obviously quite stupid)... the ball then started to melt everywhere and leaked onto the living room carpet.

I panicked.

couldnt turn the fucking flame thing off on the heater so I attempted to pull the hose that connected the big tank of gas to the heater. I just about managed it but by then the ball had already melted so I just gave up. If i had managed it the big tank of gas would have just spewed out gas and most likely would have blown me and the house to bits.

I was about 4 millimetres worth of hose from death... which reminds me of the time I almost had sex with Mrs Septicfanny down the road from me... but thats a whole other thread.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    edited February 2010
    When I was 19 I was helping my boyfriend move, my trunk full of his stuff. Standing on the far left side of my trunk I reached for the crate of albums- he said "thats too heavy, I'll take that next, grab the backpack". I moved a foot to the right and a drunk driver came hit my car- took it 3 car lengths forward -albums, gas all over the street and totaled my car. If I hadn't have moved I would have been seriously crushed- dead or alive.
    Post edited by pandora on
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    This one time I very nearly escaped the fuzz in a high-speed chase. Sadly, I didn't realize I was actually racing the cops as they were in an unmarked car and out of their jurisdiction. Instead they got on the radio and waiting across the next county line was a half a dozen cop cars forming a road block. Still, I almost escaped.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    eyedclaar wrote:
    This one time I very nearly escaped the fuzz in a high-speed chase. Sadly, I didn't realize I was actually racing the cops as they were in an unmarked car and out of their jurisdiction. Instead they got on the radio and waiting across the next county line was a half a dozen cop cars forming a road block. Still, I almost escaped.

Man you were road blocked now that's taking your chances. Some of these close shaves are sounding like
    1000 Ways To Die show. However, we're still here. :D

peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)