Options

The Daytona 500????

Comments

• Options
    drtyfrnk29 wrote:
    They should have just ended it at 30 to go, with Harvick in the lead. Not a fan of the three attempts to go green white checkered either

I agree with not being a fan with the green white checker stuff. That's just for TV. Never was a fan of the red flag deal they'd do before that. The old way was completely fine, if it ends under yellow, it ends under yellow. It's all apart of the deal.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Options
    know1 wrote:
    I only watch one race a year....The Daytona...

I figure since its this sports "SuperBowl" I will watch for a few hours.....

Did anyone else watch that debacle yesterday???

A POTHOLE on the racetrack??? A fucking pothole??? Shuts down the track for 2 and a half hours???

The last 30 laps took almost 2 hours??

But I will tell ya one thing....I found myself cheering ......when Dale Jr. came out of fucking nowhere, and went from 15th place to 2nd place in those final 2 laps.

Oh well, so much for a bunch of hillbillies driving around in circles.....hehehehehe

I'm not really a NASCAR fan, but that debacle was a huge black eye for NASCAR. If I had been an announcer, I would have been reaming them on the air....and probably lost my job.

Nothing you can do, Daytona got a lot of rain.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

• Options
    jokertt14 wrote:
    30 laps . WTF yeah just finish it . watched it all day anyways . whats an extra couple hours . :lol:

the finish was very awesome . have not seen that in years :D

the hole in the track has to do with nature and physics .. how is that the same as forgetting the footballs . WoW

Agreed, there where a bunch of races there in the past two weeks, and no known issues. Can't control what happens to the track.

• Options
    norm wrote:
    6 hours of boredom followed by 2 minutes of excitement

i couldn't believe the asphalt was coming up...jr said he told nascar to resurface the track last year but they didn't...
    Wouldnt you think that track would be resurfaced every year???
    Right before the BIG RACE????

Doesnt it just make sense?????

Believe it or not a brand new resurfaced track makes for horrible racing. the groove gets narrow, and it's a lot of single file crap. Takes a few years for a track to get good.

• Options
    Rygar wrote:
    As for the hill billies driving in circles, that sort of left that stereo type in the early '80's.
    No it hasn't.

To you apparently. I've been around oval racing drag racing and other auto racing my entire life. And I'm in know way a hillbilly. I'm more impressed with what they are getting out of the motor and the technical side of things.

• Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Rygar wrote:
    As for the hill billies driving in circles, that sort of left that stereo type in the early '80's.
    No it hasn't.

To you apparently. I've been around oval racing drag racing and other auto racing my entire life. And I'm in know way a hillbilly. I'm more impressed with what they are getting out of the motor and the technical side of things.
    Well that is all fine and dandy for you. It doesn't change the fact that the stereotype is still prevalent. I didn't say anywhere that I agreed with it.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    I could have driven 500 miles on the Interstate in less time than it took them to run that race.

The pothole was a joke. Being that the course isn't a traffic way, the surface should last for some time, but 32 years may have been one to many.

Junior is the most over rated guy on the circuit.

The new car sucks. Might as well be called Spec Racing.

Dump the restrictor and try something else like smaller valves or lower lift cams or change the rear gear. Make them run a short track rear gear.

It's not really a race when everyone is running the same speed.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    I could have driven 500 miles on the Interstate in less time than it took them to run that race.

The pothole was a joke. Being that the course isn't a traffic way, the surface should last for some time, but 32 years may have been one to many.

Junior is the most over rated guy on the circuit.

The new car sucks. Might as well be called Spec Racing.

Dump the restrictor and try something else like smaller valves or lower lift cams or change the rear gear. Make them run a short track rear gear.

It's not really a race when everyone is running the same speed.

Unfortunately they created a monster when they brought in the restrictor plate. The average person likes the big pack of cars, and the big crashes. I'm on the other side of the fence. They should of pulled the down force off the car, went to a 305 cube motor, and when they got to the corner they'd all jump on the breaks, and actually race each other....

• Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    305 would be ok in my book.

or lower compression

something...
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Yeah the restrictor plate tracks unfortunately are not really indicative to what NASCAR racing is like. But the as was mentioned the average person likes the packs and the big wrecks that take out 10 cars. I understand that. NASCAR swears they don't like it but they do. Why do you think Daytona and Talledega are such huge draws? Tradition may be one reason, but a huge pack of 43 cars going almost 200 miles per hour and inches away from "the big one" is the main reason.

Anyway, I used to follow NASCAR pretty closely, but have lost interest over the years. The races are too long, they never start on a regular schedule, the qualifying system is a joke to appease the sponsors, the new car sucks, I don't like the so-called 1.5 mile "cookie-cutter" tracks, they change the rules on the fly, and too many races are simply follow the leader with no real drama.

You could go a long way to fix it by:

1) Shortening the races. Only Daytona and a couple of others need to be 500 miles.
    2) Every race starts at 1:00 ET on Sunday or 7:00 ET on Saturday night (except for West Coast races) - I think they are trying this year.
    3) Dump the stupid Top 35 rule. If your car isn't fast enough to get in, you don't get in. Period. I don't care if you are Dale Earnhardt Jr, and you finish 44th in qualifying and Joe Bob Nobody finishes 43rd. Joe Bob gets in the show and you don't.
    4) Do something with this stupid car. Make it look more like street cars. At least the older cars resembled something you could buy, not spaceships or tanks.
    5) More short tracks. Mandate that if you want to get a race, you need to have a short track or a road coarse. Too many of these ovals look exactly the same.
    6) More points for winning and cut the points and pay off at 35th place. That will get rid of the teams that get in the race, turn a few laps and go home with their pay. It will also make winning way more important.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    305 would be ok in my book.

or lower compression

something...

They've dropped compression a long time ago. Didn't change a thing. It's all in the plate. If they dropped the plate (and they will never do that ever), and pull a bunch of down force out of the car, so the guys actually had to slow down in the corners, all would be well, and they would be allowed to race again.

As soon as they put the plates on those cars, Robert Yates presented a small cubic inch motor for them to consider instead of doing a restrictor plate. And NASCAR ignored it.

If only they'd go the route of taking the down force out of those cars and let them drive again. That would be fantastic.

• Options
    Flagg wrote:
    Yeah the restrictor plate tracks unfortunately are not really indicative to what NASCAR racing is like. But the as was mentioned the average person likes the packs and the big wrecks that take out 10 cars. I understand that. NASCAR swears they don't like it but they do. Why do you think Daytona and Talledega are such huge draws? Tradition may be one reason, but a huge pack of 43 cars going almost 200 miles per hour and inches away from "the big one" is the main reason.

Anyway, I used to follow NASCAR pretty closely, but have lost interest over the years. The races are too long, they never start on a regular schedule, the qualifying system is a joke to appease the sponsors, the new car sucks, I don't like the so-called 1.5 mile "cookie-cutter" tracks, they change the rules on the fly, and too many races are simply follow the leader with no real drama.

1) Shortening the races. Only Daytona and a couple of others need to be 500 miles.
    2) Every race starts at 1:00 ET on Sunday or 7:00 ET on Saturday night (except for West Coast races) - I think they are trying this year.
    3) Dump the stupid Top 35 rule. If your car isn't fast enough to get in, you don't get in. Period. I don't care if you are Dale Earnhardt Jr, and you finish 44th in qualifying and Joe Bob Nobody finishes 43rd. Joe Bob gets in the show and you don't.
    4) Do something with this stupid car. Make it look more like street cars. At least the older cars resembled something you could buy, not spaceships or tanks.
    5) More short tracks. Mandate that if you want to get a race, you need to have a short track or a road coarse. Too many of these ovals look exactly the same.
    6) More points for winning and cut the points and pay off at 35th place. That will get rid of the teams that get in the race, turn a few laps and go home with their pay. It will also make winning way more important.

Some of the best comments ever....

Start times are being "Sort of Fixed" this year. But remember tuning in at 12:15 and the race was about to start. Those were the days.

I totally agree with the stupid qualifying rules. Top 43 period.... With the top 35 rule qualifying isn't important, and those guys are out there with there race set up's the entire time, not worried about qualifying.

Bring back more short tracks for sure. I can do without any more road courses.

And get rid of the chase. Seriously the play-off is a joke.

I can handle the car.... But maybe take out the down force to an extent.

• Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    I used to follow Nascar Winston Cup religiously from the mid 90s to when my boy Rusty Wallace retired....these days, it's nothing but a bunch of fucking GQ six-pack ab pretty boys making commercials and shit.....I miss the good old hillbilly characters that made the 'sport' fun to watch...I'm not interested in these fucking pansy bitches, and seeing some chick named Jamie win a race that used to mean something ;) ..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    thing is if you re-ran those last two laps ten times, ten different people would win it. it was too chaotic. i guess its the restrictor plates.

and i hate the GQ pretty boys constantly whoring for their sponsors too.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,491
    lukin2006 wrote:
    No offense, but I'm sick of what a 30 something guy who goes by junior or june bug has to say.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

now, go back to your curling ;)
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    The Champ wrote:
    I used to follow Nascar Winston Cup religiously from the mid 90s to when my boy Rusty Wallace retired....these days, it's nothing but a bunch of fucking GQ six-pack ab pretty boys making commercials and shit.....I miss the good old hillbilly characters that made the 'sport' fun to watch...I'm not interested in these fucking pansy bitches, and seeing some chick named Jamie win a race that used to mean something ;) ..

Unfortunately they made the sport so expensive that have to whore for their sponsors.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    Flagg wrote:

Start times are being "Sort of Fixed" this year. But remember tuning in at 12:15 and the race was about to start. Those were the days.

I totally agree with the stupid qualifying rules. Top 43 period.... With the top 35 rule qualifying isn't important, and those guys are out there with there race set up's the entire time, not worried about qualifying.

I think they brought the chase in to lesson the likelihood that Gordon would win 7 or 8 championships, and I really think they want Earnhardt and Petty to remain on top, not some pretty boy from California. I bet they never saw Johnson coming along and winning 4 in a row and now he looks poised to possibly win 7 championships or more. I'm sure Nascar's trying to figure a way to change the chase to slow Johnson down.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,932
    Was really into NASCAR back in the early 90's to nid 2000's. dropped off from watching it for a few years. Watched most of yesterday's race. WAs pulling for Dale Jr. but glad McMurray won.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Flagg wrote:

I think they brought the chase in to lesson the likelihood that Gordon would win 7 or 8 championships, and I really think they want Earnhardt and Petty to remain on top, not some pretty boy from California. I bet they never saw Johnson coming along and winning 4 in a row and now he looks poised to possibly win 7 championships or more. I'm sure Nascar's trying to figure a way to change the chase to slow Johnson down.

To many complaints about Kenseth winning the title with only 1 win. Evening though he just dominated races left and right, and was in the top five all the time, and had a chance to win a bunch of races, they just didn't work out. Then there where the races where he'd have a issue early, be down a lap or two, come back and still sneak a top 10. Just amazing runs that year.

• Options
    well was gonna make a new thread, but saw this one.

Congrats to Trevor Bayne :?: on wining it this year becoming the youngest driver to win it at 20 years and 1 day :clap:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    sort of a ho hum race today. nice to see the kid win. the only time he was the pushee was the last restart. crazy.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    wow! can they make that race shittier?
  • Options
    norm wrote:

they could put chadwick and speedy in a pair of cars. :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    81 wrote:
    norm wrote:

they could put chadwick and speedy in a pair of cars. :P

awesome! :mrgreen:

beats watching half the field push the other half
  • Options
    or at least teach the drivers to not run 3 and 4 wide 25 laps in.

that gets you nothing but wrecked cars. just look at the 21, every time they started to get 3 wide around him, he backed out, well, untill the last 10 laps where he went to front up the middle.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Nice to see the young guy get the win, overall the race was not that great, seems nascar is getting worse every year.

• Options
    Even better, great to see the Wood Brothers take home a win. Been around for ever. Sure that is really a Roush car, motor and driver, but it's just good to see the Wood Brothers get another win.

Real race starts Sunday at the mile track.

Now if we could just get a TV station that doesn't go to commercial ever 6 minutes. Seriously we came from commercial and there was a caution, and we watched 5 laps of caution, go green then go straight to commerical. Stupid....

• Options
    Even better, great to see the Wood Brothers take home a win. Been around for ever. Sure that is really a Roush car, motor and driver, but it's just good to see the Wood Brothers get another win.

Now if we could just get a TV station that doesn't go to commercial ever 6 minutes. Seriously we came from commercial and there was a caution, and we watched 5 laps of caution, go green then go straight to commerical. Stupid....

phoenix sucks

as does
    michigan
    chicagoland
    texas
    kc
    california

too many cookie cutter tracks with borig racing.

although it was nice to see that chicagoland if finally selling tickets for just the sunday nascar race. before they only sold a package that included the irl, arca, trucks etc, and you could only but a full package. i emailed them and told them i would consider going if i could buy a single ticket. looks like they finally listened
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:

phoenix sucks

as does
    michigan
    chicagoland
    texas
    kc
    california

too many cookie cutter tracks with borig racing.

although it was nice to see that chicagoland if finally selling tickets for just the sunday nascar race. before they only sold a package that included the irl, arca, trucks etc, and you could only but a full package. i emailed them and told them i would consider going if i could buy a single ticket. looks like they finally listened

Phoenix is not a cookie cutter track. That's a 1 mile flat as can be, with completely different corners. Always has some good racing.

Michigan was descent back in the day before california was built, just because it was a bit different. Now Texas, KC, Chicagoland, Lowes, Vegas those could all go.

• Options
    bump :?

Go Dale Jr. :)
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY