Options

The Daytona 500????

SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,807
edited June 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
I only watch one race a year....The Daytona...

I figure since its this sports "SuperBowl" I will watch for a few hours.....

Did anyone else watch that debacle yesterday???

A POTHOLE on the racetrack??? A fucking pothole??? Shuts down the track for 2 and a half hours???

The last 30 laps took almost 2 hours??

But I will tell ya one thing....I found myself cheering ......when Dale Jr. came out of fucking nowhere, and went from 15th place to 2nd place in those final 2 laps.

Oh well, so much for a bunch of hillbillies driving around in circles.....hehehehehe
Take me piece by piece.....
Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I watched it, as always. I don't watch the entire season religiously like I used to, but I watched it.

As for the hill billies driving in circles, that sort of left that stereo type in the early '80's.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Options
    Jokertt14Jokertt14 Posts: 2,566
    Very long race . but alot better racing .

AND DALE JR. OUT OF NO WERE . VERY NICE !! only thing that could have top it at that moment would have been a pearl jam show . cheers !!! ;)
  • Options
    They should have just ended it at 30 to go, with Harvick in the lead. Not a fan of the three attempts to go green white checkered either
    I'm so dangerous I smoke dynamite.

• Options
    drtyfrnk29 wrote:
    They should have just ended it at 30 to go, with Harvick in the lead. Not a fan of the three attempts to go green white checkered either
    I disagree.....

Finish the damn race...
    Whatever it takes.....
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    I only watch one race a year....The Daytona...

I figure since its this sports "SuperBowl" I will watch for a few hours.....

Did anyone else watch that debacle yesterday???

A POTHOLE on the racetrack??? A fucking pothole??? Shuts down the track for 2 and a half hours???

The last 30 laps took almost 2 hours??

But I will tell ya one thing....I found myself cheering ......when Dale Jr. came out of fucking nowhere, and went from 15th place to 2nd place in those final 2 laps.

Oh well, so much for a bunch of hillbillies driving around in circles.....hehehehehe

I'm not really a NASCAR fan, but that debacle was a huge black eye for NASCAR. If I had been an announcer, I would have been reaming them on the air....and probably lost my job.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    I dont know a damned thing about nascar...

But having their BIG RACE delayed for 2 and a half hours, due to a pot hole on the track.....

Is, in my eyes, the same as The Superbowl being delayed until Monday, because somebody forgot to bring the footballs.
  • Options
    30 laps . WTF yeah just finish it . watched it all day anyways . whats an extra couple hours . :lol:

the finish was very awesome . have not seen that in years :D

the hole in the track has to do with nature and physics .. how is that the same as forgetting the footballs . WoW
  • Options
    Metal scraping rock and tar . = someone forgetting footballs ... lol :lol::lol:
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    6 hours of boredom followed by 2 minutes of excitement

i couldn't believe the asphalt was coming up...jr said he told nascar to resurface the track last year but they didn't...
  • Options
    jokertt14 wrote:
    30 laps . WTF yeah just finish it . watched it all day anyways . whats an extra couple hours . :lol:

the finish was very awesome . have not seen that in years :D

the hole in the track has to do with nature and physics .. how is that the same as forgetting the footballs . WoW
    You would think.....

That track would be in PERFECT fucking condition...PERIOD!!!!

Its THE BIG RACE!!!!

A gazillion people watching....
    And you get a fucking pothole???

Its even more ridiculous that someone forgetting the footballs...........
  • Options
    norm wrote:

i couldn't believe the asphalt was coming up...jr said he told nascar to resurface the track last year but they didn't...
    Wouldnt you think that track would be resurfaced every year???
    Right before the BIG RACE????

Doesnt it just make sense?????
  • Options
    norm wrote:

way too expensive and it takes a lot of time to do it and it should be done in the summer months as it's better to lay asphalt in the heat but since there are races there quite frequently during the year, it would be tough to do every year but it should be done every 5 years
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    As for the hill billies driving in circles, that sort of left that stereo type in the early '80's.
    No it hasn't.
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    norm wrote:

way too expensive and it takes a lot of time to do it and it should be done in the summer months as it's better to lay asphalt in the heat but since there are races there quite frequently during the year, it would be tough to do every year but it should be done every 5 years
    I am going to disagree with the "too expensive" comment.....

I am thinking Nascar has more money than GOD...hehehe

Anyway, you get my point....

That track should be in A+ condition for that race....Every single year.....

What happened yesterday is just pure nonsense......
  • Options
    QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,626

You'd think for the biggest day of the NASCAR season someone, anyone
    would have at least made an attempt to level the playing field.

what an embarrassment for all involved.

just kind of reinforces the hillbilly sterotype, unfortunately.
    Nice shirt.
  • Options

2 and a half hours later....

They filled the hole with bondo????

bondo?????
  • Options
    i tried to get into it and was into it for about 5 minutes. the end was like 5 minutes of racing, followed by 10 minutes of yellow flag driving. zzzzzz.
  • Options

yeah i know i'm just saying from nascar's perspective they would say it 'cost prohibitive' ;)

also, drivers don't like racing on new surfaces because the data they collect from practices and races are dependent in part on how the surface of the track affects the car...a new surface every year would piss the drivers off because they couldn't set up their cars properly

this is all coming from the perspective of the drivers and teams...personally, it should be resurfaced every 3-5 years

also nascar needs to change their name since those cars aren't anything close to being 'stock' :roll:
  • Options
    norm wrote:

yeah i know i'm just saying from nascar's perspective they would say it 'cost prohibitive' ;)

also, drivers don't like racing on new surfaces because the data they collect from practices and races are dependent in part on how the surface of the track affects the car...a new surface every year would piss the drivers off because they couldn't set up their cars properly

this is all coming from the perspective of the drivers and teams...personally, it should be resurfaced every 3-5 years

also nascar needs to change their name since those cars aren't anything close to being 'stock' :roll:
    I wanted Dale Jr. to run over that car that was in the lead.....

Whatever it took....
    I wanted to see Dale Jr. win that race.......
  • Options
    QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,626

2 and a half hours later....

They filled the hole with bondo????

bondo?????

Well i guess it beats chewing gum and super glue.

Maybe they needed the time to go to visit several Home Depot's.
    The race should have been cancelled due to lack of brains.

Inexcusable.
    Nice shirt.
  • Options

Whatever it took....

i did too...dude rocketed from 10th in the pack to the front in an instant...but such is life with restricter plate racing...dale didn't have enough power to overtake mcmurray in the final half lap
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,491
    I'm gonna develop some instant setting, bomb proof asphalt and become a gazillionaire!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,841
    norm wrote:

Safety deal too. Freshly paved tracks are SLICK!!!! takes a race or three to lay down enough rubber to get good grip. But WTF a pothole? Shows that they don't really listen to driver concerns. At least the news is about a pothole and not Danica in a nationwide race!!! :lol:
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I can't watch the entire race, but i watched the last 40 laps after the restart and once they were finally able to make that mad dash to the finish it was kind of fun to watch.

Dale Jr seemed to come out of nowhere for that second place finish. I wish he coudl have got along side of him and at least challenged for the fisnish. I forget the guy who won but good for him for hanging in there.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    RoughMixRoughMix back of a lorry Posts: 385
    norm wrote:

Whatever it took....

Yup, when jr. took off like a rocket I thought it was his daddy come back from the dead.
    "They don't give a shit Keith Moon is dead,
    is that exactly what I thought I read."
  • Options
    Jr only needed 2 more turns
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    norm wrote:

They said on SportsCenter today that the track has not been repaved since 1978 I believe and they were planning on doing it in 2012 but that will probably be bumped up to this offseason. They also said it costs $22 mil. or something like that.
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    norm wrote:

No offense, but I'm sick of what a 30 something guy who goes by junior or june bug has to say. He was never as good as his billing, just lucky to have the last with royalty of the sport.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    drtyfrnk29 wrote:
    I disagree.....

Finish the damn race...
    Whatever it takes.....

I agree finish the race, but as Carl Edwads said, "we know it's their, go around it". I'm sorry it's the biggest race of the year, but lasted way to long.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    I think this sport peaked a few years ago, I think it's on the downside, similar to how basketball peaked 80's early 90's. I think for nascar to regain it's form they need rivalries and right now I don't really see any rivalries. It seems the drivers have a dispute at one race, then during the week they call each other and all is forgotten. The fans want rivalries and disputes that carry over for awhile.