PJ vs. phish

13»

Comments

• PJBuckeyePJBuckeye Posts: 1,102
    PJBuckeye wrote:
    To answer the question PJ has more fans, but not by much.

Also, whoever is hating on Phish is moron? They are a great band. Go see them live and then tell me they suck.

PS - I like Phish and never have done a single drug, including weed.

are you asking the people who don't like phish if they're morons? jk

phish sucks. i'm not a moron. they're boring, uninspired, wankers.

Sorry about unintentional question mark. You don't have to like Phish, but why hate on them?
    Chicago 6/29/98 - Nashville 8/17/00 - Cleveland 4/25/03- Chicago 6/18/03
    Chicago 5/16/06 - Milwaukee 6/30/06 - Bonnaroo 6/14/08 - Milwaukee (EV)8/19/08
    Chicago 8/23/09 - St. Louis 5/4/10 - East Troy 9/3/11 - East Troy 9/4/11
    Minor League Park 7/19/13 - Milwaukee 10-20-14 - Bonnaroo 6/11/16
    Minor League Park 8/20/16 - Minor League Park 8/22/16
    Minor League Park 8/18/18 - Minor League Park 8/20/18 - Los Angeles 4/16/20
  • PJBuckeyePJBuckeye Posts: 1,102
    choop wrote:
    two of my favorite bands, you can't really compare the two except that the majority of fans for both are pretty closed minded musically.

The most accurate post ever.
    Chicago 6/29/98 - Nashville 8/17/00 - Cleveland 4/25/03- Chicago 6/18/03
    Chicago 5/16/06 - Milwaukee 6/30/06 - Bonnaroo 6/14/08 - Milwaukee (EV)8/19/08
    Chicago 8/23/09 - St. Louis 5/4/10 - East Troy 9/3/11 - East Troy 9/4/11
    Minor League Park 7/19/13 - Milwaukee 10-20-14 - Bonnaroo 6/11/16
    Minor League Park 8/20/16 - Minor League Park 8/22/16
    Minor League Park 8/18/18 - Minor League Park 8/20/18 - Los Angeles 4/16/20
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,732
    DewieCox wrote:
    PJ could sell out Alpine Valley 3 nights(90,000). Take out the repeat customers and I'd guess the numbers are pretty similar.

If they threw a festival in Seattle they'd have no problem with matching Phish's numbers.

Simply untrue. Huge fan of both bands. In sheer size, I am not sure who has the bigger fanbase but people travel much much much more for Phish. You think getting Pearl Jam tickets is tough.
  • this thread is mostly aggravating

i never understand why diehard music fans have to trash other popular music

and i dont like to call people out personally on msg boards but i gotta stick up for my boys and let starmap3repeating know that he knows nothing at all about phish (no you dont so dont even say that you do)

phish? popular?
    not saying that popularity is everything, but phish isn't popular. their highest selling record only went platinum and it took 15+ years to reach that status. not to mention it took their other cds (the ones to reach a certification) at least 2-3 years to reach gold. now you're gonna write back "well pearl jam only reaches gold", i know this. but it takes them 1/4 of the time.
    before you write back with the typical "record sales don't mean anything" response, everyone knows that record sales do indicate, to a certain extent, the popularity of a band.
    the closest phish came to mainstream popularity was appearing on a simpson's episode.. and even that was after the show jumped the shark.
    im not bashing you for enjoying phish, i enjoy bands that i know are garbage (ie limp bizkit lol), but phish has never been a part of pop-culture society.
    im not gonna write anything back except i like pj more than any band. i like phish and awful awful lot too, 2nd most. and theres no reason not to like em both for me. and im not gonna drag anything through the mud to feel better about it, no reason to do so. im all good over here
    and fuck me if I say somethin you dont wanna hear, fuck me!
    and fuck me if you only hear what you wanna hear
    fuck me...if I care...but im not leavin here
  • 4Powers204Powers20 Posts: 1,224
    this thread is mostly aggravating

i never understand why diehard music fans have to trash other popular music

and i dont like to call people out personally on msg boards but i gotta stick up for my boys and let starmap3repeating know that he knows nothing at all about phish (no you dont so dont even say that you do)

phish? popular?
    not saying that popularity is everything, but phish isn't popular. their highest selling record only went platinum and it took 15+ years to reach that status. not to mention it took their other cds (the ones to reach a certification) at least 2-3 years to reach gold. now you're gonna write back "well pearl jam only reaches gold", i know this. but it takes them 1/4 of the time.
    before you write back with the typical "record sales don't mean anything" response, everyone knows that record sales do indicate, to a certain extent, the popularity of a band.
    the closest phish came to mainstream popularity was appearing on a simpson's episode.. and even that was after the show jumped the shark.
    im not bashing you for enjoying phish, i enjoy bands that i know are garbage (ie limp bizkit lol), but phish has never been a part of pop-culture society.

record sales mean nothing when it comes to phish. it is ALL about the live show. while pearl jam were selling tons of records, phish fans were trading live shows.
    and popularity is can not only be judged by record sales. attendance at concerts is a telling stat too. And phish has been selling out arenas for along time. So has pearl jam, but phish will sell out cities each time they stop there the same year.
    and as far as pop culture, i would say phish and pearl jam are pretty even these days.

"We're running out of beer, too?" EV 6/19/08

• both bands seem to be resting on their laurels these days.

if it wasn't for got some and johnny guitar i would consider calling pearl jam finished, but those two songs give me hope for the future. they definitely still have it.
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,563
    Probably the two best live shows around (Wilco probably gets some talk in there as well, but don't talk to me about Bruce). My nod goes to PJ for personal choice. However, in terms of vibes and parking lot scene Phish wins hands down!! Phish fans are more communal where PJ fans are frat boys. That's just how it is. Perhaps the different musical styling brings about the differences in fans.
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    smithnic wrote:
    Probably the two best live shows around (Wilco probably gets some talk in there as well, but don't talk to me about Bruce). My nod goes to PJ for personal choice. However, in terms of vibes and parking lot scene Phish wins hands down!! Phish fans are more communal where PJ fans are frat boys. That's just how it is. Perhaps the different musical styling brings about the differences in fans.

not really. if you were to ask a "frat boy" about pearl jam, their knowledge would be limited to ten. pearl jam fans are way more communal, and phish fans are burnout wankers. that's just how it is.
  • fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    both bands seem to be resting on their laurels these days.

if it wasn't for got some and johnny guitar i would consider calling pearl jam finished, but those two songs give me hope for the future. they definitely still have it.

for one to rest on their laurels, one has to achieve something... phish hasn't achieved anything. they lack originality and substance
    they're boring.
  • DB41DB41 Posts: 539

for one to rest on their laurels, one has to achieve something... phish hasn't achieved anything. they lack originality and substance
    they're boring.

Saying they lack substance and that they're boring is fine. That's subjective and you're entitled to your opinion and good on ya for having one.
    But whether you like them or not, how can you possibly say that they lack originality?
  • both bands seem to be resting on their laurels these days.

they're boring.

i can't stand phish but to say they haven't achieved anything is foolish. or phoolish?
  • CobCob Posts: 857

I saw Phish last summer at Deercreek and Alpine Valley and I can tell you they weren't "resting on their laurels" the shows were GREAT and I don't just through that word around. I first saw Phish in 1993 and last summer is the best I have ever seen them play. I first saw Pearl Jam in 1991 and their live show is WAY better now.

People want to say that Phish sucks, they're boring, blah blah, blah, go ahead I could care less to argue with you. But I can tell you one thing. I am an old fucker and I've been seeing concerts and live music since 1980, I've seen almost every rock band worth seeing, saw Grateful Dead 169 times alone, I now good bands and music when I see/hear it and I can assure you after having seen Pearl Jam three times last year and Phish three times last year also, NEITHER of them are "resting on their laurels these days" as you put it. :roll:
    [img][/img]9/5/92, 11/20/93, 3/14,15/94, 9/16/95, 10/14,15/2000
    4/5,6/9/2003, 9/1/05, 12/7/2005, 7/15,16,18/2006, 8/5/2007
    6/24,25/08,6/27/08,6/28/08,6/30/08
    9/21,22/2009, 10/4/2009
    5/6,7,9/2010, 9/3/2011 9/4/2011, 11/15/2013,
    11/16/2013, 12/8/2013, 10/5/2014, 10/12/2014,
    4/23, 5/10, 5/12, 8/20, 8/22 2016,
    8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20 2018, 5/12, 5/13, 9/20 2022

• Cob wrote:

I saw Phish last summer at Deercreek and Alpine Valley and I can tell you they weren't "resting on their laurels" the shows were GREAT and I don't just through that word around. I first saw Phish in 1993 and last summer is the best I have ever seen them play. I first saw Pearl Jam in 1991 and their live show is WAY better now.

People want to say that Phish sucks, they're boring, blah blah, blah, go ahead I could care less to argue with you. But I can tell you one thing. I am an old fucker and I've been seeing concerts and live music since 1980, I've seen almost every rock band worth seeing, saw Grateful Dead 169 times alone, I now good bands and music when I see/hear it and I can assure you after having seen Pearl Jam three times last year and Phish three times last year also, NEITHER of them are "resting on their laurels these days" as you put it. :roll:

169 dead shows= at least 300 hits of acid.
  • Phish Food is a delicious ice cream flavor

*Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member # 0003

wont let the light escape from me
    wont let the darkness swallow me
  • satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,139
    world wide pearl jam wins hands down

remember there are other places in the world not just america
  • Why even have this thread. PJ all the way.
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,102
    Pearl Jam has a larger global fanbase. Within the North American market, I believe Phish to have a larger fanbase... you don't see Pearl Jam fans travelling around the place like Phish fans do. For whoever mentioned record sales as a way to suggest Pearl Jam is a 'larger' band, I don't think that's the best thing to go on. Pearl Jam tours NA sporadically nowadays, whereas Phish tours it exclusively practically. Try getting Pearl Jam tickets for an everyday show. Now try it for a Phish show. Phish tickets do not last long at all.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • benjs wrote:
    Pearl Jam has a larger global fanbase. Within the North American market, I believe Phish to have a larger fanbase... you don't see Pearl Jam fans travelling around the place like Phish fans do. For whoever mentioned record sales as a way to suggest Pearl Jam is a 'larger' band, I don't think that's the best thing to go on. Pearl Jam tours NA sporadically nowadays, whereas Phish tours it exclusively practically. Try getting Pearl Jam tickets for an everyday show. Now try it for a Phish show. Phish tickets do not last long at all.

you're wrong.

a bunch of my friends have been doing pieces of phish tour since they came back and told me that people have been giving away tickets on lot. (outside of the first 3 shows)

with the economy the way it is, i've noticed this for almost any act. some fans get excited and snatch up extra tickets early only to have to turn around and sell them at a loss or give them away outright.
    Cob wrote:

169 dead shows= at least 300 hits of acid.

Really why, do you like to just sit around and stereotype people? Why don't think for your self and not just make broad stroke statements. You live in NYC, that's like me saying I don't want to go there because I don't want to get mugged and the place is the most filthy city in the world, grow up.
    9/21,22/2009, 10/4/2009

benjs wrote:

you're wrong.

a bunch of my friends have been doing pieces of phish tour since they came back and told me that people have been giving away tickets on lot. (outside of the first 3 shows)

with the economy the way it is, i've noticed this for almost any act. some fans get excited and snatch up extra tickets early only to have to turn around and sell them at a loss or give them away outright.

In September at the shows in Seattle you could buy a $70-$80 ticket out for for $20-$30, in 2008 I went to MSG, Hartford and Mansfield and the only place you could EASILY buy a ticket out front was MSG. And by you thinking it's "fans" that are buying up all these tickets and then trying to get rid of them, wrong, 75% of the time it's the ticket scalpers/brokers that buy up all these tickets and then they can not sell them on the secondary market so they have to stand out in front of the show and try to get whatever they can for them.

Wasn't there tickets available for one of the PJ Europe shows (Belfast) well after they went on sale? Every act is seeing lag in ticket sales and it's only going to get worse with the economy the way it is.
    9/21,22/2009, 10/4/2009