PJ vs. phish

Comments

• Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    I can't stand Phish I didn't mind them until I went to one of their concerts I hated it Nothing but annoying hippies it was the slowest most dreary concert I have ever been to. Phish is a joke compared to Pearl Jam the reason they have such a big following is the Grateful Dead fans didn't want to have to go back to work! LOL Scum bag fans.

By the way I don't get this comparison?

It's like comparing Elvis to Pantera ??????????????????
    i'd gather to say many of deadheads probably hate phish. go say what you said over on the dead and see how quickly you get yripped apart by card carrying aarp members. my dad was/is a deadhead and thinks phish are a ripoff of the dead. he digs pearl jam alot more.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• PJBuckeyePJBuckeye Posts: 1,102
    To answer the question PJ has more fans, but not by much.

Also, whoever is hating on Phish is moron? They are a great band. Go see them live and then tell me they suck.

PS - I like Phish and never have done a single drug, including weed.
    Chicago 6/29/98 - Nashville 8/17/00 - Cleveland 4/25/03- Chicago 6/18/03
    Chicago 5/16/06 - Milwaukee 6/30/06 - Bonnaroo 6/14/08 - Milwaukee (EV)8/19/08
    Chicago 8/23/09 - St. Louis 5/4/10 - East Troy 9/3/11 - East Troy 9/4/11
    Minor League Park 7/19/13 - Milwaukee 10-20-14 - Bonnaroo 6/11/16
    Minor League Park 8/20/16 - Minor League Park 8/22/16
    Minor League Park 8/18/18 - Minor League Park 8/20/18 - Los Angeles 4/16/20
  • Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,239
    PJBuckeye wrote:

Also, whoever is hating on Phish is moron? They are a great band. Go see them live and then tell me they suck.

Well why you waiting? Get to smoking son! Lol.

RM
  • SmellymanSmellyman Posts: 4,524
    Knew a guy at work who loved phish and would play them all the time. Booorrrring, long meandering jams. Not my bag man.
  • fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    PJBuckeye wrote:

are you asking the people who don't like phish if they're morons? jk

phish sucks. i'm not a moron. they're boring, uninspired, wankers.
    KO282453 wrote:
    Pantera the poor mans Metallica

no way man
    megadeath is the poor mans metallica. pantera is in a class of their own.
  • drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    I've seen both and I'd probably say Phish.

PJ has a big fanbase, but nothing compare's to Phish's except for the Dead. Phish fans are some of the most loyal obsessed fans I've ever seen.

Edit:

I hate people that rip on Phish. I have seen Phish live 3 times; each time I was with my father (100% sober - not even a beer, even felt weird dancing around him). I would rank each one amongst the top live shows I have ever seen (which includes Waters, Panic, PJ x2, Allmans x5, Bruce x3, DMB x10, Petty x2, etc.)
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • DB41DB41 Posts: 539
    I'm not so sure PJ could attract 50-75,000 fans to a 3-day festival anywhere in North America...
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    KO282453 wrote:

no way man

Metallica is a poor man's Metallica.
    Deebs41 wrote:
    I'm not so sure PJ could attract 50-75,000 fans to a 3-day festival anywhere in North America...

Ridiculous!!!
  • starmap3333starmap3333 Posts: 3,925
    I've seen Phish probably 10 times or more. I went to The Great Went, Clifford Ball, etc and saw them a bunch of times inside and outside. They are boring compared to Pearl Jam. There is zero crowd interaction between the band and the fans with Phish. Pearl Jam thrives on the interaction. Phish is strung out on heavy drugs (yeah they are so don;t even say they are not) when they are on stage... noodling away with boring improvs all night in every song they play basically. Also Sprach Zaratustra (sp?) and Harry Hood are the only reason to go see Phish.

Pearl Jam on the other hand talk about (well Ed does) real shit... real world problems... encouraging us to get or stay involved and connected to the world and to be realistic about it/them. Phish on the other hand... well... lol.

Yeah, they're (Phish) all good musicians. Other than that... boring... self centered.... drugged out... and just another bandwagon for the ex-dead crowd to follow around as they bum cigarettes, beer, and money from you... holding up 1 finger which I'd like to break everytime I see it.

Create your own miracle scumbags.
    DewieCox wrote:
    Deebs41 wrote:

Ridiculous!!!

Beyond ridiculous, but that's what you get with people who inhale nitrous all tour.
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    KO282453 wrote:

no way man

+1. Dimebag Darrell was more talented than Kirk Hammett. RIP Dimebag.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Deebs41 wrote:

talk to me when phish can draw more than 1000 total phans on a european tour.

and a pearl jam cover band could probably outdraw them in australia.
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • Deebs41 wrote:

in europe will be difficult to this phish to get more than 100 people in a show
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Deebs41 wrote:

How many went to the Gorge Concerts?
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,845
    Well, when Pearl Jam says they can't make money touring anywhere besides the east or west coast, maybe the following isn't as big as you all think. Booyah!
  • choopchoop Posts: 1,060
    two of my favorite bands, you can't really compare the two except that the majority of fans for both are pretty closed minded musically.

if you post about phish here, you get responses about phish being long, boring jams.

if you post about pearl jam on pt, you get responses about them being a 90's grunge act.

both classifications are far from the truth.
    "If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music." KV Jr.
  • this thread is mostly aggravating

i never understand why diehard music fans have to trash other popular music

and i dont like to call people out personally on msg boards but i gotta stick up for my boys and let starmap3repeating know that he knows nothing at all about phish (no you dont so dont even say that you do)
    and fuck me if I say somethin you dont wanna hear, fuck me!
    and fuck me if you only hear what you wanna hear
    fuck me...if I care...but im not leavin here
  • choop wrote:
    two of my favorite bands, you can't really compare the two except that the majority of fans for both are pretty closed minded musically.

if you post about phish here, you get responses about phish being long, boring jams.

if you post about pearl jam on pt, you get responses about them being a 90's grunge act.

both classifications are far from the truth.

haha what's your pt handle? i'm all over the blackboard.
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • ^i have a handle over there, its 'realmacaroni' but i never post, i only have an acct to keep my phish stats (something that would be awesome for a pj board!! ;) )

but yeah pt is a vile and evil place dripping with lewd gross pointless and extremely mean and close minded attitudes
    and fuck me if I say somethin you dont wanna hear, fuck me!
    and fuck me if you only hear what you wanna hear
    fuck me...if I care...but im not leavin here
  • choopchoop Posts: 1,060
    edited February 2010
    but yeah pt is a vile and evil place dripping with lewd gross pointless and extremely mean and close minded attitudes

this place is like that too once you get past all the delusional "jamily" shit... :lol:

i've met just as many sketchy pj fans as i have phish phans
    "If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music." KV Jr.
  • DB41DB41 Posts: 539
    Deebs41 wrote:

That I definitely agree with.

That's fine if my opinion is wrong, I just don't think Pearl Jam could draw as many people as Phish to somewhere like Maine or Vermont for one those festivals.... still, I'd go.
    Deebs41 wrote:
    Deebs41 wrote:

That I definitely agree with.

That's fine if my opinion is wrong, I just don't think Pearl Jam could draw as many people as Phish to somewhere like Maine or Vermont for one those festivals.... still, I'd go.

PJ could sell out Alpine Valley 3 nights(90,000). Take out the repeat customers and I'd guess the numbers are pretty similar.

If they threw a festival in Seattle they'd have no problem with matching Phish's numbers.
    lololololololo... well I must be really stupid because, as i said, i've seen them numerous times and also have a million bootlegs (which bore me these days). you little noodler.
  • Different fan bases.

Trey is an amazing guitar player.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    I always find it interesting to make comparisons like this.

Both bands have huge fan-bases, both bands are very talented and both put on great live shows.

Pearl Jam was a more popular band in the 90's simply because they fell into a popular niche and had much more exposure (radio, TV appearances, magazines) than a band like Phish.
    PJ also creates more simplistic, popular, and radio-friendly music.

I would guess that per tour, PJ has a larger draw, but there are bands out there who easily trump PJ when it comes to touring, and ticket sales.

Springsteen (E-Street Band) -Been doing it FAR longer than PJ and they sell out every show on every tour to date.

Dave Matthews -While not AS popular as they once were, probably due to the lack of quality albums of late, they tour more frequently than PJ and per show I'd assume they have as much of, if not more a draw.
  • This thread is obnoxious
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    DewieCox wrote:

PJ could sell out Alpine Valley 3 nights(90,000). Take out the repeat customers and I'd guess the numbers are pretty similar.

If they threw a festival in Seattle they'd have no problem with matching Phish's numbers.

PJ could not sell out Alpine for 3 shows.

They probably could in the 90s, but that wouldn't happen now.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the one 2003 show at Alpine wasn't even a sellout. I know it was a big draw but I also distinctly remember seeing a lot of grass at the top of the lawn during the show (which is filled with other acts).
    this thread is mostly aggravating

i never understand why diehard music fans have to trash other popular music

and i dont like to call people out personally on msg boards but i gotta stick up for my boys and let starmap3repeating know that he knows nothing at all about phish (no you dont so dont even say that you do)

phish? popular?
    not saying that popularity is everything, but phish isn't popular. their highest selling record only went platinum and it took 15+ years to reach that status. not to mention it took their other cds (the ones to reach a certification) at least 2-3 years to reach gold. now you're gonna write back "well pearl jam only reaches gold", i know this. but it takes them 1/4 of the time.
    before you write back with the typical "record sales don't mean anything" response, everyone knows that record sales do indicate, to a certain extent, the popularity of a band.
    the closest phish came to mainstream popularity was appearing on a simpson's episode.. and even that was after the show jumped the shark.
    im not bashing you for enjoying phish, i enjoy bands that i know are garbage (ie limp bizkit lol), but phish has never been a part of pop-culture society.