PJ vs. phish

pompeiipompeii Posts: 83
edited February 2010 in The Porch
these are obviously the two biggest bands of the 90's

which band has the bigger fanbase???
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    I would love to say Pearl Jam but with all the Phishheads I hear about following them to EVERY show on EVERY tour.....I have to digress and say Phish has a bigger fanbase. I don't think there are many, if any, Pearl Jam fans that follow them to every city on a tour.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • i've done a few pj tours and phish tours and run into a lot of the same people who have a mutual love for each band. for me pearl jam and phish are by far the two most important bands that have stood the test of time.
  • I'd like to think its Pearl Jam, but its probably Phish.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    the 2 biggest bands of the 90s are pearl jam and radiohead.... maybe nirvana, too. not only are they the 2 (3) biggest bands, but the most important, also.
    phish can suck it.
  • HaijayHaijay Posts: 379
    amen, brother. Or sister. Phish=shitty, boring, jam music
  • pompeii wrote:
    i've done a few pj tours and phish tours and run into a lot of the same people who have a mutual love for each band. for me pearl jam and phish are by far the two most important bands that have stood the test of time.
    there is only 1 band that has stood the test of time....that my friend is the Grateful Dead...neither have come close to the amount of shows that the Dead have played 2318 shows then add the 15 years of shows Bobby and Phil have played.Pearl Jam by far is the best band out there on the road today,but my 1st love will always be the Grateful Dead.I hope Eddie and the crew are rockin in there 70's.
    The bus came by and I got on!!!!!
  • youngster wrote:
    I would love to say Pearl Jam but with all the Phishheads I hear about following them to EVERY show on EVERY tour.....I have to digress and say Phish has a bigger fanbase. I don't think there are many, if any, Pearl Jam fans that follow them to every city on a tour.

Phish doesnt tour like pearl jam though and there are actually a lot of people who follow pearl jam just because people dont call them pearl jam heads is the reason you dont hear about it as often as you hear about phishheads.
  • rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,901
    the 2 biggest bands of the 90s are pearl jam and radiohead.... maybe nirvana, too. not only are they the 2 (3) biggest bands, but the most important, also.
    phish can suck it.

You are probably right, but I'll take Phish over Radiohead's canned live shows and Thom Yorke's annoying brooding manbitchery any time.
  • I knew that Phish fans had to be high to like their music, but you must have some really good shit to think that they were one of the two biggest bands of the nineties. Be more specific as to what you are getting at because I can think of several dozen bands that were bigger in most every conceivable way. If you are referring to the bands that had the most fans see at least 20+ shows each tour then congratulations, we have a winner.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    My wife and i took a bus from NYC to Bangor Maine to visit her parents years go, not realizing there was a 3 Phish day festival, the bus was packed, with all these laid back hippie kids, it was like getting on a bus in 60's or something. Not into Phish, but there fans are pretty cool and obsessive. 14 hour ride, during one of the stops some freind from one bus ran into one from another, but every seat was taken, all of a sudden some lone kid, got up and was like "here take mine, all catch the next one" they were like cool dude, catch u at the festival. Don't see that kind of fellowship in NYC ever. Not into Phish but i think there fans got us beat. Ofcouse if Pearl Jam were to have 3 day festival in the north east, shit i'd be there!!!
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,102
    KO282453 wrote:
    My wife and i took a bus from NYC to Bangor Maine to visit her parents years go, not realizing there was a 3 Phish day festival, the bus was packed, with all these laid back hippie kids, it was like getting on a bus in 60's or something. Not into Phish, but there fans are pretty cool and obsessive. 14 hour ride, during one of the stops some freind from one bus ran into one from another, but every seat was taken, all of a sudden some lone kid, got up and was like "here take mine, all catch the next one" they were like cool dude, catch u at the festival. Don't see that kind of fellowship in NYC ever. Not into Phish but i think there fans got us beat. Ofcouse if Pearl Jam were to have 3 day festival in the north east, shit i'd be there!!!
    I agree about the fellowship amongst the fans. It's very cool to see in a world where most are so concerned about their own successes. As for their shows... I actually hated them, and went with some friends strictly to shut them up about Phish. Truthfully.. between the brilliant light show, and the phenomenal (and LONG) show, I was immediately sold. I'd go as far as saying whereas a Pearl Jam show is a great show - a Phish show is an incredible all-around experience. The fans turn it into something special.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Phish unfortunately has a larger fanbase. There's a lot of crack to go around.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    phish can suck it.

You are probably right, but I'll take Phish over Radiohead's canned live shows and Thom Yorke's annoying brooding manbitchery any time.

canned live show? Obviously totally different experiences, but I think Radiohead shows are setup pretty similar to PJ.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    I would say that their fanbase is pretty similar in size, overall, but I'd probably give the edge to PJ.

Phish doesn't have the middle of road fans, like PJ, to boost their numbers.
  • JoJo Posts: 2,098
    I don't even know who phish is, so I declare this a no brainer. :D
  • Jo wrote:
    I don't even know who phish is, so I declare this a no brainer. :D
    bluefish.jpg
    u know phish
    Verizon Center-Washington, DC--May 30, 2006
    Verizon Center-Washington, DC--June 22, 2008
    Lyric Opera House-Baltimore, MD--June 14, 2009(Eddie Vedder Solo)
    Wachovia Spectrum-Philadelphia, PA--Oct 31, 2009

I Only Own My Mind...
  • widespread panic and pearl jam ..forget phish ...trey is a dope :shock:
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    Who's Phish???
  • Bird889Bird889 Posts: 423
    i_lov_it wrote:
    Who's Phish???

good question, those of us in the States know about the strong following that Phish has, but I've never seen evidence that they are as strong overseas as Pearl Jam is. After viewing youtube live clips from Europe, South America and those cool countries down under...I con't imagine Phish having as strong following outside the US as Pearl Jam.

What do y'all think?
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
    slide in sideways, BBQ sandwich in one hand, cold beer in the other,
    body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "Woo Hoo what a
    ride"!
    Unknown

• 4Powers204Powers20 Posts: 1,224
    worldwide , i would give the edge to pearl jam. but here in the US, i would have to go with phish.

oh we are not "phisheads", we prefer Phans .

"We're running out of beer, too?" EV 6/19/08

• starmap3333starmap3333 Posts: 3,925
    Phish fans don;t work and steal while you're in the show from your car and pearl jam fans work and schedule vacations around shows.
  • i agree!!! these are my two favorite bands in the world for many many many years now

pj is first in my heart but ive seen phish about 50 times more than pj cause its just easier to do so

here are my quick thoughts. as far as touring bands go they were both pretty huge in the 90s. if jerry didnt die in 95 this might not be the case

album sales def do not qualify phish as "huge" by any means, but i bet they have more boots circulating than any other band of the 90s

and pj fans shoudlnt hate on phish so much. stop and think about how yuo feel when someone bashes pj just because its something they arent into and they dont understand why you like it so much and they just decide to deride eddie and you and the whole thing. if they dont like it they should just shut up about it. and if you dont like phish thats fine but why go out of your way to trash them to those of us who love them so much?

oh and i work, very hard. own my own biz. most phish fans i know have matured, got great jobs, laid of tha drugs (sorta ;) ) and are raising beautiful families
    and fuck me if I say somethin you dont wanna hear, fuck me!
    and fuck me if you only hear what you wanna hear
    fuck me...if I care...but im not leavin here
    I don;t hate phish, I hate the scums in the parking lot.

molly!!! molly!!! kind bud!!!! yay!!!

scums.
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    This is a very silly comparison.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • the 2 biggest bands of the 90s are pearl jam and radiohead.... maybe nirvana, too. not only are they the 2 (3) biggest bands, but the most important, also.
    phish can suck it.

how's the trailer park treating you?
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • I can't stand Phish I didn't mind them until I went to one of their concerts I hated it Nothing but annoying hippies it was the slowest most dreary concert I have ever been to. Phish is a joke compared to Pearl Jam the reason they have such a big following is the Grateful Dead fans didn't want to have to go back to work! LOL Scum bag fans.

By the way I don't get this comparison?

It's like comparing Elvis to Pantera ??????????????????
  • fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    I can't stand Phish I didn't mind them until I went to one of their concerts I hated it Nothing but annoying hippies it was the slowest most dreary concert I have ever been to. Phish is a joke compared to Pearl Jam the reason they have such a big following is the Grateful Dead fans didn't want to have to go back to work! LOL Scum bag fans.

at least pantera wrote their own songs.
  • CobCob Posts: 857
    4Powers20 wrote:
    worldwide , i would give the edge to pearl jam. but here in the US, i would have to go with phish.

oh we are not "phisheads", we prefer Phans .

Phish has played Europe SEVERAL times and are playing there this summer, the have also played Japan more than once.
    [img][/img]9/5/92, 11/20/93, 3/14,15/94, 9/16/95, 10/14,15/2000
    4/5,6/9/2003, 9/1/05, 12/7/2005, 7/15,16,18/2006, 8/5/2007
    6/24,25/08,6/27/08,6/28/08,6/30/08
    9/21,22/2009, 10/4/2009
    5/6,7,9/2010, 9/3/2011 9/4/2011, 11/15/2013,
    11/16/2013, 12/8/2013, 10/5/2014, 10/12/2014,
    4/23, 5/10, 5/12, 8/20, 8/22 2016,
    8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20 2018, 5/12, 5/13, 9/20 2022

I can't stand Phish I didn't mind them until I went to one of their concerts I hated it Nothing but annoying hippies it was the slowest most dreary concert I have ever been to. Phish is a joke compared to Pearl Jam the reason they have such a big following is the Grateful Dead fans didn't want to have to go back to work! LOL Scum bag fans.

exactly, except pantera kicks elvis' ass.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Pantera the poor mans Metallica