Options

Ames plagiarism?

2»

Comments

• Options
    gozzo5058gozzo5058 Posts: 611
    and even if it is 'plagarism' it still is a sweet looking poster...best of the tour so far imo.
    s

Montreal/98, Toronto/00'03'05'06x2, Brad Toronto/02, Buffalo/03, Kitchener/05, London/05, Hamilton/05, Late Show Taping/06, Cleveland/06, Pittsburgh/06, Bridge School Benefit Concert/06, Hartford/08, Mansfield 1/08, EV Montreal/08x2, EV Toronto/08x2...
  • Options
    luvisatowerluvisatower Posts: 1,078
    "Imitation is the sincerest of flattery." -- Charles Caleb Colton
    also heard as
    "Imitation is the greatest form of flattery"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Get it now, get enough, before its gone, let's everybody carry on, carry on....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.wishlistfoundation.org
    WE WANT YOU!!!!
    join the street team
    http://wishlistfoundation.fancorps.com

"headphones are highly recommended...." Jeff Ament
  • Options
    mjbmjb Posts: 1,315
    You know...just to keep the debate going a smidge...their Bonnaroo gig poster (not the PJ skull) reminded me a lot of this promo poster I came across for Liam Finn - see here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380033645642&ssPageName=ADME:B:DBS:US:1123#ebayphotohosting

Thoughts?
  • Options
    gozzo5058gozzo5058 Posts: 611
    GREAT quote and too true, in a GOOD way imo!
    who said it?

it's a common quote/thought/saying, but in this case it is directly from U2's song 'acrobat' from Achtung Baby.
    s

Montreal/98, Toronto/00'03'05'06x2, Brad Toronto/02, Buffalo/03, Kitchener/05, London/05, Hamilton/05, Late Show Taping/06, Cleveland/06, Pittsburgh/06, Bridge School Benefit Concert/06, Hartford/08, Mansfield 1/08, EV Montreal/08x2, EV Toronto/08x2...
  • Options
    moses562moses562 Posts: 1,382
    We're seriously asking this? Our world is becoming too sensitive... there use to be a thing called paying homage to something...

Now plagiarism is when a stupid kid rips off a paper or entire chunks of text and calls it their own...
    "A man has the right to be as big as he feels it in him to be." Ken Kesey
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    gozzo5058 wrote:
    it's a common quote/thought/saying, but in this case it is directly from U2's song 'acrobat' from Achtung Baby.

i know it's a common idea/theme...i've just never read it worded just like that. i like it. hmmmm...know the song and the album, guess it's been awhile. wish a visual artist had said it tho. haha. :p still a great quote!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,930
    LOL! Plagiarism?!? Are you people that fucking dense?

Definitely my favorite of the tour so far and it's a great homage/tip of the cap to the Clash.
  • Options
    nocode23nocode23 Posts: 411
    Hopefully MSG will get a Ramones homage.:D
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,886
    nocode23 wrote:
    Hopefully MSG will get a Ramones homage.:D
    Thats what I was thinking
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    mjbmjb Posts: 1,315
    LOL! Plagiarism?!? Are you people that fucking dense?

Definitely my favorite of the tour so far and it's a great homage/tip of the cap to the Clash.

To be clear - I am in no way insinuating plagiarism, etc. I posted the Liam image to draw an interesting parallel between the Bonnaroo image and the Liam poster.
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    mjb wrote:
    You know...just to keep the debate going a smidge...their Bonnaroo gig poster (not the PJ skull) reminded me a lot of this promo poster I came across for Liam Finn - see here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380033645642&ssPageName=ADME:B:DBS:US:1123#ebayphotohosting

Thoughts?
    not at all... the Roo poster is inspired by old carnival freak show advertising and the Finn looks more native american inspired... IMO
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    samnationsamnation Los Angeles, CA Posts: 277
    It is a very common theme to take a familiar pop culture image and put a twist on it. The Led Zeppelin album cover isn't obscure. Clearly the intention was to reference it and put their own spin on it. Go dig up any book of poster art and you'll see a long tradition of that type of work.
    Sam
  • Options
    hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,930
    mjb wrote:
    To be clear - I am in no way insinuating plagiarism, etc. I posted the Liam image to draw an interesting parallel between the Bonnaroo image and the Liam poster.

Sorry, that wasn't directed at you. Some of the people earlier in the thread specifically said plagiarism.
  • Options
    maverickmaverick Posts: 1,185
    Check out the poster from Benaroya, then look at the cover of Kiss' Rock and Roll Over album. Same sort of thing being discussed now could have been discussed 5 years ago.

It's one of my favorite Ames posters by the way.
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    pdalowsky wrote:
    that tampa poster when put in context is mint

i know! i made an excellent choice for my first poster purchase!