Anyone here wealthy/upper class?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited April 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
anyone here upper class/wealthy in economic status? As a sociology major, it is of course, of major interest to me. Its fascinating how our society views wealth and upper class individuals. I have good friends who are very wealthy, while I come from a middle class family, very modest family.

Anyone summer in the Hamptons or Connecticut, or Martha's Vineyard?

Anyone have a yacht?

Anyone go to Yale, Brown, Columbia, Harvard or Princeton?

Ever attended a high society gathering or gala/ball?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• "G Under P" announced that she got a $10,000 Christmas bonus. I think she's a lawyer.

"UnthoughtKnown" made a thread offering to help a fellow fan from the board with monetary assistance. Most of the respondents ripped him to shreds for even offering. I, however, asked him if he would please pay my vet bill. I was the only person who asked him for help. He ignored me, did not even have the human kindness to tell me no. I would have understood if he explained that sick pets were not important to him.

You should have seen the replies I got last May when I was particularly desperate: I asked on the 'Wanted' section of Craigslist if anyone would donate a food store gift card to me. Yeouch! It's easier to do without than to be treated like that.
    "May you live in interesting times."
  • i hear you. The idea of meritocracy, seems to be prevailing wisdom of our age, as it has been for much of american history. This idea that if you are wealthy, you got this way, because of hard work, and only hard work.

Wealth, and discussing it, seems verboten in alot of the uber rich. Jamie Johnson, heir to the Johnson and Johnson fortune, made 2 docs, on wealth, and actually made 2 pretty hard hitting expose pieces on the myth of meritocracy. His father, a very rich man, often seemed pained that his son was even talking about wealth at all. The conclusion that Jamie came to was that for much of the rich, to talk about it, is something that is just never done. It seems kind of bizaare, that people would be uber rich, and not talk about it. But that seems pretty common. The idea I guess, is that if people start saying "yeah, the Johnsons have 20 billion and then some people in america are starving", that that could cause people to question the very idea of capitalism, of meritocracy.

its like if you are rich, you dont discuss it. you dont question it.
  • I am sure as hell not wealthy/upper class, however I spend a week on Cape Cod every summer with my buddies hitting on rich girls on the beach and in the bars.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    I am sure as hell not wealthy/upper class, however I spend a week on Cape Cod every summer with my buddies hitting on rich girls on the beach and in the bars.

HILARIOUS!!!

My family has a cottage on the Cape....and I do mean a cottage. At the most 1000 sq feet and I think that is a stretch. So while I may spend weekends and a week's vacation there, I am far from upper class or wealthy. I work hard at my job and own my home (well, me and the bank).

A thing to remember about the filthy rich and celebrities? They all shit the same place you do - right behind their boots. They're all human and subject to human frailties and faults.
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Not me, skint.
    G Under P" announced that she got a $10,000 Christmas bonus

I'm pretty sure g under p is male.
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    "G Under P" announced that she got a $10,000 Christmas bonus. I think she's a lawyer.

"UnthoughtKnown" made a thread offering to help a fellow fan from the board with monetary assistance. Most of the respondents ripped him to shreds for even offering. I, however, asked him if he would please pay my vet bill. I was the only person who asked him for help. He ignored me, did not even have the human kindness to tell me no. I would have understood if he explained that sick pets were not important to him.

You should have seen the replies I got last May when I was particularly desperate: I asked on the 'Wanted' section of Craigslist if anyone would donate a food store gift card to me. Yeouch! It's easier to do without than to be treated like that.

You wanted me to help your mice get surgery. I thought you were messing with me.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,848
    a $10,000 bonus does not make you wealthy or upper class, nor does summering in the hamptons
    just saying

try owning in the hamptons or nantucket, driving a ferrari or aston martin, only flying first class or private
  • SawyerSawyer Posts: 2,411
    Father was a bigwig at Comcast so I came from money....However I am a teacher and I find what I am able to plan, save and buy for myself feels so much more rewarding......but my family has a place in the northern burbs of Chicago, a house in Cape Cod, and a house in Naples, FL
  • SawyerSawyer Posts: 2,411
    "G Under P" announced that she got a $10,000 Christmas bonus. I think she's a lawyer.

this post is beyond annoying....go beg somewhere else
  • There is no such thing as middle class anymore.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646

you shouldn't have asked him to pay your vet bill. where's your humility?
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • googoo Posts: 226
    well... there is a guy who still owes me 100 gazillion dollars from a bet he lost to me in 5th grade. so can I be theoretically rich?
  • Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    goo wrote:
    well... there is a guy who still owes me 100 gazillion dollars from a bet he lost to me in 5th grade. so can I be theoretically rich?
    Yep!
    Save room for dessert!
  • Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    Truly rich people don't talk about it, nor brag about it, its the pseudo-rich who do that. I live in an affluent area. I am not as rich as my neighbors, but they are not as rich as they think they are, except Eminem and Madonna's family.
    Save room for dessert!
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    I go to Princeton every day.
    That's because I live in a bungalow on Princeton Rd. :lol:
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    Sawyer wrote:

this post is beyond annoying....go beg somewhere else

I agree. "He ignored me, did not even have the human kindness to tell me no." Seriously?
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    Absolutely not.

However - I will say that I do have a nice life. Both my wife and I make very good salary's. We have 3 kids, a live in nanny etc, nice house etc. We both work very hard for our situation.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    boardy barn is the place to be at in the summertime

Wonders if anyone will get this
    Get_Right wrote:
    a $10,000 bonus does not make you wealthy or upper class, nor does summering in the hamptons
    just saying

try owning in the hamptons or nantucket, driving a ferrari or aston martin, only flying first class or private
    +1
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    I'm friends with some very wealthy people.

I went to see Pj with one once. He wasn't a big fan as such, but enjoyed the concert.

Ed said something like 'don't let the rich guys keep on winning' I turned to him 'he's talking about you man'

My other friend was my childhood best friend. Hardly see him anymore. Lovely lovely people. Stupidly rich, yes, but great people.

My family on the other hand, struggled for many years. It wasn't until Dad got a good promotion, and unfortunate to say this, but my grandparents died split their relatively small rundown house, but in a boom place between 4 kids for heaps and my great Aunt left her house to my mum and aunt that we got ahead.

More money would be nice. but I am very content. We are the lucky ones.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • I must be loaded then because I summer, winter, spring and autumn in Connecticut!
    I also got a little over 7k in bonuses a year until this past year. Now I am taking all the side jobs I can get while our small company treads water. I would consider myself middle class.
    Two of my cousins are loaded though.

I was born with a plastic spoon in my mouth :)
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • I must be loaded then because I summer, winter, spring and autumn in Connecticut!
    I also got a little over 7k in bonuses a year until this past year. Now I am taking all the side jobs I can get while our small company treads water. I would consider myself middle class.

And as your name suggests, you loathe rich yuppy scum. You even wrote it on the walls.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925

And as your name suggests, you loathe rich yuppy scum. You even wrote it on the walls.

this is not an exit
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Not wealthy, but definitely middle class. Both wife and I work and are comfortable, we are able to save for retirement, take a couple trips a years, attend concerts and sporting event and do plenty of of other stuff. We know what it's like to scrimp and save for things we want.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Claireack wrote:

Is he? "Grace under pressure?" Oh, sorry!

Everyone assumes I'm a man named Travis. I am neither.

Of course I cannnot tell if G under P is wealthy/upperclass from his or her Christmas bonus. I was judging from my perspective. I live high on the hog for a full 7 months on ten thousand dollars.
    "May you live in interesting times."
  • anyone here upper class/wealthy in economic status? As a sociology major, it is of course, of major interest to me. Its fascinating how our society views wealth and upper class individuals. I have good friends who are very wealthy, while I come from a middle class family, very modest family.

Anyone summer in the Hamptons or Connecticut, or Martha's Vineyard?

Anyone have a yacht?

Anyone go to Yale, Brown, Columbia, Harvard or Princeton?

Ever attended a high society gathering or gala/ball?
    And why do you want to know this?
    So you can affect some kind of moral superiority because you're a member of the proletariat?
    Stupid idea for a thread.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    With the low pay and zero benefits I offer the children working in my acid mines, the profit margins are enormous.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Claireack wrote:

Is he? "Grace under pressure?" Oh, sorry!

Everyone assumes I'm a man named Travis. I am neither.

Of course I cannnot tell if G under P is wealthy/upperclass from his or her Christmas bonus. I was judging from my perspective. I live high on the hog for a full 7 months on ten thousand dollars.

also, he is not a lawyer, but works in in-home healthcare.
    and, as someone already pointed out, a 10,000 bonus does NOT make someone wealthy/upper class, not at all. it's quite a big assumption to think so based only on that information. tho now your comments seem more in-line with that whereas your first post did not. and hell, there are lawyers who are not wealthy. i know a few. haha.

i'm not really sure of the purpose of this thread, but yea...i am certainly neither.we do well and have a comfortable life, but solidly middle-class. my parents were well-off, entirely of their own doing, but again....certainly not wealthy. my father-in-law would probably be considered wealthy now, but he certainly doesn't live it. i have spent a decent amount of time in the hamptons, but yea...i live on long island, so it's not too difficult to do. :lol: and as also pointed out earlier, all of these prerequisites that apparently signal being wealthy/upperclass, in reality, do not really make that a certainty, at all. also, one's income level in relation to where they live play a BIG part in if they fit within that descriptor or not. to be wealthy in NY is quite a feat, even tho incomes may seem quite high in comparison to other areas.

i live in an area with a LOT of wealth, i think just recently i read that within the top 50 richest small towns, at least 20 are located on long island. i don't live in any of em tho. ;) haha. that said, i have worked/taught within these very wealthy communities and the majority of the extremely wealthy, well most...you'd never know. most are extremely discreet, polite, generous and good-natured. it is the neuveau-riche that are the most conspicuous about their wealth.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    People work very hard for their wealth but usually don't get the admiration they deserve just envy.
    People somehow assume it was easy. My husband has worked so hard to get what we have. He has worked his life away with no retirement in sight not really by choice. I remember this when I hear of the very wealthy even those who inherited because someone along the line worked hard, made good choices and was probably frugal for their families.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i have a private island

in my back yard when it rains
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Not wealthy, but definitely middle class. Both wife and I work and are comfortable, we are able to save for retirement, take a couple trips a years, attend concerts and sporting event and do plenty of of other stuff. We know what it's like to scrimp and save for things we want.

Bingo.

Firmly in the middle. Wife and I both work. Have a decent house and a couple of kids. Save for retirement, but still have to scrimp and save if I want something discretionary. Get to see Pearl Jam a couple of times a year and take a vacation. Nothing too fancy.

Sure there are things we want and can't have, but there is nothing we need and can't have if that makes sense.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13